• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency news and signings

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jets are franchising Nick Folk.

further demonstrating a failure as an organization

His cap hit for the next season is currently set at the 7th highest for kickers in the NFL. Obviously that could change after other FA kickers sign. It's not SO bad if you're somebody who thinks his doom and gloom days are behind him and you don't want to play the FA game to try and upgrade that way. They could easily strike out if they let him go and play that game given who is available. Trusting a rookie kicker, especially this year, is another dangerous game to play if you figure you're a team who is going to be in a lot of close games.

Me personally? I have said in the past that I will NEVER be able to emotionally trust Folk and I'd worry a whole lot about relying on him for a whole season.

Also, it's not like the Jets have any other FAs available who were candidates for the tag.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cardinals released Jasper Brinkley. I remember quite a few heated conversations on the board about him going to Arizona. They gain about 2M in cap space by releasing him.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Cardinals released Jasper Brinkley. I remember quite a few heated conversations on the board about him going to Arizona. They gain about 2M in cap space by releasing him.

really liked watching him play at SCAR.. wouldn't mind as a vet option next to Willis

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brinkley is a good player, but is mainly a run stopper. He just got the short end of the stick last season when DWash got suspended & the Cardinals signed Dansby after the Dolphins released him. Because of the situation, he went from projected started next to DWash to replacing DWash for 4 games & playing on special teams. This move guarantees that Dansby is going to be back in AZ.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks gain roughly 12.8M in cap space with the release of those two players.

Thanks for that. They still might have a decet chance with Meltin based on what he was able to produce last year. Just speculation on my part.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Raiders officially re-signed Khalif Barnes.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His cap hit for the next season is currently set at the 7th highest for kickers in the NFL. Obviously that could change after other FA kickers sign. It's not SO bad if you're somebody who thinks his doom and gloom days are behind him and you don't want to play the FA game to try and upgrade that way. They could easily strike out if they let him go and play that game given who is available. Trusting a rookie kicker, especially this year, is another dangerous game to play if you figure you're a team who is going to be in a lot of close games.

Me personally? I have said in the past that I will NEVER be able to emotionally trust Folk and I'd worry a whole lot about relying on him for a whole season.

Also, it's not like the Jets have any other FAs available who were candidates for the tag.

yep, we're still in close games so PK is huge. hate going the FA route but I'd stick with veterans a little longer.........as long as our cap can handle it?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Sidney Rice has anything left.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
For a low, one-year deal, he'd be worth a shot.

Totally agree. I brought it up in another thread when he was cut. He was actually playing at a pretty high level last year before he got hurt.

The only issue is that the Niners probably wouldn't be able to re-sign Kassim Osgood, who really earned his keep last year on special teams. That's assuming they keep 5 WRs and they draft one (Baldwin already restructured).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@RapSheet: Source: #Dolphins and CB Brent Grimes are closing in on a deal to keep him in Miami without the franchise tag. Could happen very quickly

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...
@JasonLaCanfora: Colts still working to sign CB Vontae Davis longterm, but will not apply the franchise tag if they don't strike a deal by 4pm tag deadline

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Orakpo - LB - Redskins

Updating a previous item, ESPN's Ed Werder says the Redskins are prepared to use the franchise tag on OLB Brian Orakpo.
CBS' Jason La Canfora is hearing the exact opposite as he reported Monday morning that the Redskins are unlikely to use the tag. It's a game of poker. The two sides are working on a long-term deal and the tag is leverage GM Bruce Allen can hang over Orakpo's head. He wants his top pass rusher back, but only at the right price. The Redskins can't afford to overpay with so many holes on their roster.
Source: Ed Werder on Twitter
Mar 3 - 10:31 AM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning - QB - Broncos

Peyton Manning has been fully cleared following a Monday exam on his neck.
Source: Denver Post
Mar 3 - 11:58 AM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D'Qwell Jackson - LB - Free Agent

Free agent ILB D'Qwell Jackson will meet with the Dolphins Monday night.
Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter
Mar 3 - 12:16 PM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jairus Byrd - DB - Bills

The Bills will not use the franchise tag on free agent FS Jarius Byrd ahead of Monday's 4PM ET deadline.
Various reports over the last hour indicate the Raiders will not tag DE Lamarr Houston, the Ravens won't tag LT Eugene Monroe, the 49ers won't tag SS Donte Whitner, and the Browns won't franchise SS T.J. Ward. Byrd is expected to hit the market, and has a realistic chance to become the highest paid safety in football. Seahawks FS Earl Thomas will be watching Byrd's market closely.
Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter
Mar 3 - 3:04 PM