• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency news and signings

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I thought you were joking about the 4 million per season.

Brice Miller is not worth that much. Look how well a guy off the street filled in for him.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I surprised to you took offense to the money and not the length..

While the 4m might be on the surface high, it's not like he will sign for 2m per year. He's not a rookie and is regarded as one of the best at his position at a young age.

One of the best at a position that only a handful of teams use. Very few teams employ a true lead blocker at FB these days, instead valuing guys who have greater value in the receiving game, whether it's a second TE or more of a movement FB. Miller has been surprisingly effective as a receiver, but he's not good enough to get paid for that particular skill. He is incredibly valuable to the Niners. His value for about 30 other teams is markedly lower.

Four million/year seems very high to me. Last year, Vonta Leach signed a two-year, $3.75 million deal as probably the best blocking FB in the game, and arguably the best overall. I can see Miller getting a longer deal, and possibly a comparable yearly salary, but I would be surprised if he gets much more. It's a buyer's market on FBs these days.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you were joking about the 4 million per season.

Brice Miller is not worth that much. Look how well a guy off the street filled in for him.

He didn't do well, there was actually an extremely noticable drop off when Miller went out. The quality of the lead blocking was borderline average at best after Miller went out, the success out of the backfield suffered as well and ST took a hit. Losing Miller sucked!

I probably wouldn't pay a FB $4 million a season though.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I most definitely was being sarcastic regarding the 15 years. And was more or less throwing out a number.. I think it was more or less in the range of when I see players at most positions getting 4-5-6 years and in the 30m-40m range for a very high quality player, it's strange to say hey lets sign this guy for 5 years at 15m and he is arguably the best/most versatile at his position. Just an interesting dichotomy is all..

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He didn't do well, there was actually an extremely noticable drop off when Miller went out. The quality of the lead blocking was borderline average at best after Miller went out, the success out of the backfield suffered as well and ST took a hit. Losing Miller sucked!

I probably wouldn't pay a FB $4 million a season though.

There was no drop off with in the lead blocking when Will Tukuafu came in (he was injured shortly after starting though). The drop off came in the receiving department, but Tukuafu was arguably a better lead blocker in the running game than Miller was.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, Reggie Bush signed for 4 million a season. A half back. No way is Miller worth 4 million. I don't even think he's worth 3.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no drop off with in the lead blocking when Will Tukuafu came in (he was injured shortly after starting though). The drop off came in the receiving department, but Tukuafu was arguably a better lead blocker in the running game than Miller was.

There absolutely was a drop off in lead blocking. I wouldn't be happy all running behind him when I has been spoiled with Miller all year. Tukuafu isn't even close to being on Miller's level as a lead blocker.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anquan Boldin - WR - 49ers

A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com that the 49ers have not begun contract talks with free agent Anquan Boldin.

PFT's source is disputing a recent CSN Bay Area report that the Niners were negotiating a "multi-year extension" with Boldin. Per PFT's Mike Florio, contract deliberations between the 49ers and Boldin are "expected to commence at the Scouting Combine," which kicks into high gear on Wednesday. Boldin is the 49ers' "top priority," ahead of free agent SS Donte Whitner.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Feb 18 - 8:57 PM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JoshNorris: Jesse free'd? RT @alexmarvez: Source tells @FOXSports1 @Seahawks expected 2 release DE Red Bryant

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roger Goodell - C - Free Agent

A source tells Profootballtalk the 2014 salary cap could be a "few million" higher than $132 million.

The cap could reportedly spike as high as $135 million, which would be a 9.75 percent increase on 2013. That would be extremely good news for a crowded free agent market, and means we could see fewer cap casualties than in recent years. The 2013 market was extremely soft, so soft that there were whispers of collusion. It appears we're going to be in for a much more active 2014.
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Feb 25 - 4:57 PM

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
holy shit.. if it goes up 10m per yr every year thats nuts

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't want to give this its own thread so I'm going to use this one.

Adam Schefter: Eagles reached agreement with Pro Bowl OT Jason Peters on a four-year, $41.3 million, including $19.55 gtd, per his agent Vincent Taylor.

He has one year and $9.65 million remaining on his current deal. It becomes a 5-year, $51.3M deal through 2018. He turned 32 in January and tore his Achilles 2 years ago.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns just cut ILB D'Qwell Jackson. Niners should look into signing to help fill in for Bowman

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be highly interested in DQJ at the right price. We could be looking at half a season of no Bowman.