• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency news and signings

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I thought that B.J. Daniels was on the Seattle practice squad. I could be wrong.

At least Bethel-Thompson enjoyed his trip to London. His father or grandfather won an Olympic medal there, IIRC.

The Seahawks waived him on November 16th.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Seahawks waived him on November 16th.

Yeah, that's what I thought. And he cleared waivers, we can still add him to our practice squad next week in order to help us prepare for Seahawks' lucky offensive plays.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't want to start a new thread for this:

Matt Barrows: The 49ers have added QB McLeod Bethel-Thompson to the practice squad. He cleared waivers this afternoon.

Ltrain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The #49ers place DT Tank Carradine on IR, they have signed G Ryan Seymour. They also have signed WR Devon Wylie to practice squad. @KNBR

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ian Rapoport:

Ex-#Texans draft pick LB Sam Montgomery, released for disciplinary reasons, signs with the #Raiders, per agent @ProSourceSport

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
John Boyle:

Seahawks announce Walter Thurmond has been activated to the 53-man roster. As noted earlier, Perrish Cox was waived today.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I could see several teams that could possibly make a serious push in trying to sign him. Teams like Chicago, Dallas, and Rams:

B.J. Raji - DL - Packers

ESPN Packers blogger Rob Demovsky writes DE B.J. Raji reportedly turned down a contract offer from the team that averaged $8 million annually.

Raji is in the final year of his rookie deal and is set to become an unrestricted free agent in March. Demovsky thinks there's a chance Raji would like to play in a defense that allows its defensive linemen more freedom to rush the passer. Raji hasn't registered a sack in two seasons after he put up 9.5 of them from 2010-11. He's seen his defensive snaps decrease over the past two seasons.
Source: ESPN.com

Dec 28 - 11:59 AM

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sunday notes: Antonio Cromartie set to fly? - ESPN New York

1. Likely cap casualty: One of the most interesting offseason decisions involves Antonio Cromartie, who is to count $15 million against the 2014 salary cap. That includes a $5 million roster bonus in March. Cromartie told teammates he expects the Jets to release him, but that he hopes to re-sign after testing the market. That would be the smart move. The Jets can't write a $5 million check for a soon-to-be-30-year-old cornerback who might need hip surgery. Because it's the final year of his contract, he can't do a simple restructuring to provide cap relief, as he did last year. They should cut him, let him shop around, and decide whether they want to match his best offer. They did it that way last offseason with Calvin Pace, and it worked out.

I'd imagine the chances of him coming out west would end up being next to nothing, and I doubt the 49ers would be interested, but he should've been a Niner right away and I'd be curious to see what it'd take financially to bring him around next year. Quite possibly, and maybe likely, too much.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
David Reed - WR - 49ers

49ers signed WR David Reed, WR DeMarco Sampson and DT Christian Tupou to reserve/future contracts.

Reed spent 2010-12 on the fringe of the Ravens' roster, catching five passes in 29 games. This season, he appeared in seven games for the Colts, making one catch. Sampson had a 2011 cup of coffee with the Cardinals, while injures along the Bears' defensive line forced Tupou into five games this season.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Jan 14 - 6:42 PM

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
David Reed - WR - 49ers

49ers signed WR David Reed, WR DeMarco Sampson and DT Christian Tupou to reserve/future contracts.

Reed spent 2010-12 on the fringe of the Ravens' roster, catching five passes in 29 games. This season, he appeared in seven games for the Colts, making one catch. Sampson had a 2011 cup of coffee with the Cardinals, while injures along the Bears' defensive line forced Tupou into five games this season.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Jan 14 - 6:42 PM

Sampson is a mildly intriguing signing as far as the type of players you're going to get to sign like that this time of year. He needs to stay healthy (foot injuries) and would really benefit with a Jerry Sullivan (WR coach) type of coach, which unfortunately, in my opinion, the 49ers don't have at the WR coach position. Actually, last I saw of his route running ability, he could benefit by getting with a guy like Anquan Boldin any chance he could get. With that said, he might not be around very long to do that obviously.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should go after Alex Mack at Center. He is only 28 years old. One of the best in the league.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Lawrence Okoye - DL - 49ers

49ers signed DE Lawrence Okoye and WR Devon Wylie to reserve/future contracts.

Once compared to Wes Welker by draftniks, Wylie is a former fourth-round pick of the Chiefs. Okoye is a major developmental prospect who was waived/injured last August by the 49ers. He is a former rugby player and track star.
Source: Matt Barrows on Twitter

Jan 20 - 3:27 PM

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
looks like we are still scrounging around the bargain bin for WRs. No problem with that looking for value and cheap URFA types but we're gonna need more of a jump ball type of Wr for the red zone problems we have been having the last 10yrs. especially the last 3 where it has counted and we missed sorely.