• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football School - Boldin & the WRs

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Williams noted that AJ Jenkins is making huge strides. I'm just going to be the first one to say that Jenkins has always been this good and stubborn coaching kept him on the bench.[/QUOTE]

This may be true but I find it hard to believe that Jenkins was doing everything that was asked of him when Williams and Manningham go down with injury and Harbaugh has to go out and sign Hastings instead.

My take is that he had to work HARD for the first time in his life after having gotten by on talent for all these years and he didn't know how to handle it. It seems like more guys have taken him under their wings since the off season started and he is responding the way the Niners were hoping he would his rookie season.

Pharcyde

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad that Patton is already being talked about for the 3rd wr position.... Jenkins needs to find a way to not be a waste of space!!!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Williams noted that AJ Jenkins is making huge strides. I'm just going to be the first one to say that Jenkins has always been this good and stubborn coaching kept him on the bench.

Aye now!

I've gone to great lengths to defend AJ Jenkins. I still firmly believe that Harbaugh overrates veterans because at the end he was the more deserving 36 year old NFL QB who had to ride the bench behind the epic failure of Ryan Leaf... not based on merit, but based on draft status.

Tie that in with his own experience as a 1st round draft pick who had to earn and claw his way into the starting lineup.... then hopefully you'll see why so far the two drafts under Harbaugh haven't produced a single 1st year starter.

Their best draftpick compared to early success has easily been Aldon Smith, and 31 other teams would have thrust him into the starting lineup after his first 6 sacks. Yet Harbaugh still went with the veteran.

Call me crazy, but after 2 years I'm seeing a pretty interesting connection between 1st round picks, fan expectations for production, and Harbaugh's personal experience at both ends of the spectrum.

Harbaugh knows the value of making a guy earn playing time, his long career... and at the end he learned the value of handing a draft pick a starting position based solely on draft status. I'm tempted to be dramatic and insert a pic of Leaf in prison stripes, but, I think you guys get my point.

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I have a very strong suspicion that the trend to not have a rookie start will end with the addition of Reid. Not that the starting spot will just be handed to him (which I believe was your point), but rather that he will be far and beyond the other options as safety.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where Lockette stands: Seattle Seahawks fans might recall Lockette finishing 2011 with two late-season receptions, a 61-yarder against Arizona and a 44-yarder against the 49ers. They also might recall Lockette never fulfilling the high expectations Seattle once had for him.

The 49ers think they can get the most from the 6-foot-2, 211-pounder with 4.37-second speed in the 40-yard dash.

"There is something special there -- I can feel it," coach Jim Harbaugh said of Lockette earlier this offseason.

Taylor Price, writing for the 49ers' website, says Lockette is spending much of his offseason with quarterback Colin Kaepernick. The two are roommates. They work out together. They hang out together. This can only be good for Lockette.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
On a side note it looks like Colt is penciled in as our #2 QB.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am curious to see who the odd man out will be with the WR. Crabtree-Boldin are definitely staying, but you have, Williams-Jenkins-Patton-Lockette-Manningham.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am curious to see who the odd man out will be with the WR. Crabtree-Boldin are definitely staying, but you have, Williams-Jenkins-Patton-Lockette-Manningham.

There is a chance they could all make it. You keep six on the active roster: the two starters, Williams, Jenkins, Patton, Lockette, and then you put Manningham on the PUP. Manningham could actually be in some trouble. He doesn't have as much STs value as some of the other guys.

I don't love keeping six WRs, but there's no spot that has been as problematic for us lately, and we will need to consider what to do next year when Boldin, Manningham, and Williams are all FAs.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Aye now!

I've gone to great lengths to defend AJ Jenkins. I still firmly believe that Harbaugh overrates veterans because at the end he was the more deserving 36 year old NFL QB who had to ride the bench behind the epic failure of Ryan Leaf... not based on merit, but based on draft status.

Tie that in with his own experience as a 1st round draft pick who had to earn and claw his way into the starting lineup.... then hopefully you'll see why so far the two drafts under Harbaugh haven't produced a single 1st year starter.

Their best draftpick compared to early success has easily been Aldon Smith, and 31 other teams would have thrust him into the starting lineup after his first 6 sacks. Yet Harbaugh still went with the veteran.

Call me crazy, but after 2 years I'm seeing a pretty interesting connection between 1st round picks, fan expectations for production, and Harbaugh's personal experience at both ends of the spectrum.

Harbaugh knows the value of making a guy earn playing time, his long career... and at the end he learned the value of handing a draft pick a starting position based solely on draft status. I'm tempted to be dramatic and insert a pic of Leaf in prison stripes, but, I think you guys get my point.

Ummm...hello??? Bruce Miller???

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
There is a chance they could all make it. You keep six on the active roster: the two starters, Williams, Jenkins, Patton, Lockette, and then you put Manningham on the PUP. Manningham could actually be in some trouble. He doesn't have as much STs value as some of the other guys.

I don't love keeping six WRs, but there's no spot that has been as problematic for us lately, and we will need to consider what to do next year when Boldin, Manningham, and Williams are all FAs.

I agree with that scenario with Manningham starting out on PUP and letting seeing where the roster is at then.

The bubble guy is going to be either Manningham or Lockette and it'll depend on how Manningham bounces back from the knee injury.

When healthy it's hard to discount Manningham's contribution to the passing game so I can see him getting the nod over Lockette.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i think patton could grab the spot.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree with that scenario with Manningham starting out on PUP and letting seeing where the roster is at then.

The bubble guy is going to be either Manningham or Lockette and it'll depend on how Manningham bounces back from the knee injury.

When healthy it's hard to discount Manningham's contribution to the passing game so I can see him getting the nod over Lockette.

Yeah, I would normally think Lockette is a real long shot to make the roster, but he's been putting in a ton of work with Kap this offseason, they live together, and he's our most gifted Height-Weight-Speed guy. I hesitate to discount a physically gifted receiver who has that "best friend of the QB" thing going on. Those guys tend to have a nice chemistry.

It's possible Kyle Williams is the odd man out here, or even AJ Jenkins if Manningham gets back and he's still struggling. I do like Manningham as our #2, and I really like him as our #3, but we'll have to see where he is when he comes back.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I would normally think Lockette is a real long shot to make the roster, but he's been putting in a ton of work with Kap this offseason, they live together, and he's our most gifted Height-Weight-Speed guy. I hesitate to discount a physically gifted receiver who has that "best friend of the QB" thing going on. Those guys tend to have a nice chemistry.

It's possible Kyle Williams is the odd man out here, or even AJ Jenkins if Manningham gets back and he's still struggling. I do like Manningham as our #2, and I really like him as our #3, but we'll have to see where he is when he comes back.

I was thinking along these lines as well. I think Williams has return value but A 1-2-3-4 of Crabs-Boldin-Manningham Patton/Lockette seems legit.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I'm sorry Crims, but I wouldn't even consider putting AJ Jenkins on that list. He too is putting in tons of work, though not as explosive as Manningham per se, but I can see him being able to do some of the things that Mario was able to do for us (motioning out of the backfield, going deep, etc.). That role Ginn had last year but was useless at, could be Jenkins' this year. Or even Moss' role if we choose not to motion him. I would have to see/hear what Lockette does during training camp for me to fall for the hype.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm sorry Crims, but I wouldn't even consider putting AJ Jenkins on that list. He too is putting in tons of work, though not as explosive as Manningham per se, but I can see him being able to do some of the things that Mario was able to do for us (motioning out of the backfield, going deep, etc.). That role Ginn had last year but was useless at, could be Jenkins' this year. Or even Moss' role if we choose not to motion him. I would have to see/hear what Lockette does during training camp for me to fall for the hype.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Jenkins make a big jump forward this season. But I think he and Lockette are in direct competition as our two guys who profile as vertical threats, and if Lockette impresses, you've got to consider letting AJ walk. It would be frustrating to see, though. That's part of why I think Manningham could be at some risk. He's not old, per se, but he's older, and his contract expires this year. If our younger guys impress, we've got to consider letting him go.

We're facing some really tough decisions across the roster this year. Part of why I like the Lattimore pick - we can totally redshirt him, and he becomes like a draft pick next year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

as of now, this view makes more sense to me.

Jenkins has one year on Patton (second year is the biggest jump), isn't coming back from injury, and worked with Kap just like Lockette. as of now, can't help think "its his to lose"?

if Manningham was never injured, there's no doubt for me he's #3, however.....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
as of now, this view makes more sense to me.

Jenkins has one year on Patton (second year is the biggest jump), isn't coming back from injury, and worked with Kap just like Lockette. as of now, can't help think "its his to lose"?

if Manningham was never injured, there's no doubt for me he's #3, however.....

Not "just like Lockette." Lockette was there from day one, and he and Kap are very good friends. That's not a make-or-break thing, but there is certainly a history of WRs or TEs who are close to their QBs doing well. QBs feel comfortable with those guys and will often trust them above other guys.

Lockette is still a long shot, but he was already our tallest and our fastest WR, and now he's got the connection with Kap going for him. We can't afford to get too sentimental about draft position. If Lockette outplays Jenkins and we're tight for space, we've got to at least consider letting Jenkins walk.