• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Football School - Boldin & the WRs

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not "just like Lockette." Lockette was there from day one, and he and Kap are very good friends. That's not a make-or-break thing, but there is certainly a history of WRs or TEs who are close to their QBs doing well. QBs feel comfortable with those guys and will often trust them above other guys.

Lockette is still a long shot, but he was already our tallest and our fastest WR, and now he's got the connection with Kap going for him. We can't afford to get too sentimental about draft position. If Lockette outplays Jenkins and we're tight for space, we've got to at least consider letting Jenkins walk.

Definitely, I think Harbaalke will make the right call as well

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not "just like Lockette." Lockette was there from day one, and he and Kap are very good friends. That's not a make-or-break thing, but there is certainly a history of WRs or TEs who are close to their QBs doing well. QBs feel comfortable with those guys and will often trust them above other guys.

Lockette is still a long shot, but he was already our tallest and our fastest WR, and now he's got the connection with Kap going for him. We can't afford to get too sentimental about draft position. If Lockette outplays Jenkins and we're tight for space, we've got to at least consider letting Jenkins walk.

Of course! I'm definitely with you on that - it's better to count our losses early and move on, than to continue to force the issue which can have an adverse affect with regard to bettering the team as a whole.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

you come on strong and defend Lockette, but then say he's a long shot?
you come on strong about being 'friends' with Kaep, then say 'its not a make or break thing"?

Jenkins wasn't there for EXACTLY the same days as Lockette, but the point is.....he wasn't at home. Jenkins wasn't depending on his 1st round status in waiting for the season.

in the end, i'll be fine if Lockette beats out Jenkins, but as of TODAY....IMO the odds favor Jenkins.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
you come on strong and defend Lockette, but then say he's a long shot?
you come on strong about being 'friends' with Kaep, then say 'its not a make or break thing"?

Jenkins wasn't there for EXACTLY the same days as Lockette, but the point is.....he wasn't at home. Jenkins wasn't depending on his 1st round status in waiting for the season.

in the end, i'll be fine if Lockette beats out Jenkins, but as of TODAY....IMO the odds favor Jenkins.

This is literally the first phrase I wrote about Lockette in this thread:

Yeah, I would normally think Lockette is a real long shot to make the roster...

So I wouldn't exactly say I'm coming on strong and defending him. I've upgraded him from real longshot to something of a longshot. If I had to rank our WRs right now in terms of solidity of roster position - omitting Manningham until we know more on his status - I'd go: 1) Crabtree, 2) Boldin, 3) Jenkins, 4) Williams, 5) Patton, 6) Lockette. I still view Lockette as unlikely to stick unless we keep six guys. I'm simply saying that we shouldn't discount him. And I don't think there's very much space at all between #3 and #6 on that list.

As far as Lockette's work vs. Jenkins' this offseason, all accounts are that both guys have worked hard. Lockette seems to have done more to develop a connection - on and off the field - with his QB. It is one factor to consider, and probably a lesser one. However, given how tight the battle is for those later spots, it could be enough to tip the balance. Though maybe AJ also gets a look on returns, which would undoubtedly bump his value.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is literally the first phrase I wrote about Lockette in this thread:

Yeah, I would normally think Lockette is a real long shot to make the roster...

So I wouldn't exactly say I'm coming on strong and defending him. I've upgraded him from real longshot to something of a longshot. If I had to rank our WRs right now in terms of solidity of roster position - omitting Manningham until we know more on his status - I'd go: 1) Crabtree, 2) Boldin, 3) Jenkins, 4) Williams, 5) Patton, 6) Lockette. I still view Lockette as unlikely to stick unless we keep six guys. I'm simply saying that we shouldn't discount him. And I don't think there's very much space at all between #3 and #6 on that list.

As far as Lockette's work vs. Jenkins' this offseason, all accounts are that both guys have worked hard. Lockette seems to have done more to develop a connection - on and off the field - with his QB. It is one factor to consider, and probably a lesser one. However, given how tight the battle is for those later spots, it could be enough to tip the balance. Though maybe AJ also gets a look on returns, which would undoubtedly bump his value.

oh ok, my bad in reading it as 'strong'. we're close in opinion so let the best player stick.

again, won't go crazy if Jenkins is cut, a little dissapointed in the draft pick we used, but not crazy on cutting the player.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh ok, my bad in reading it as 'strong'. we're close in opinion so let the best player stick.

again, won't go crazy if Jenkins is cut, a little dissapointed in the draft pick we used, but not crazy on cutting the player.

Definitely. I want the best 53

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm highly annoyed by the fakeness of Jenkins' attention while KW is being interviewed.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
One more thing on Lockette: very long arms at 33 3/4". Other than a couple seventh-rounders, DeAndre Hopkins came in with the longest arms this year at 33 3/8". Calvin Johnson checks in at 33 1/4". Though worth noting again that Crabtree is just a freak, with arms at 34 1/4".

Damn! That's absurd. Don't know how I wasn't aware of that.

I know he (Crabtree) was picked under a different regime, but we LOVE the long armed guys it seems like. Tank, McDonald, Dial all come to mind just from this group. If you look at some pics of Vance line up pre-snap, it's very noticeable to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Damn! That's absurd. Don't know how I wasn't aware of that.

I know he was picked under a different regime, but we LOVE the long armed guys it seems like. Tank, McDonald, Dial all come to mind just from this group. If you look at some pics of Vance line up pre-snap, it's very noticeable to me.

Maybe it's just me?

50e0444dac970.image.jpg