• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Fan Mumbles and Grumbles

Status
Not open for further replies.

the Catfish

the Catfish is here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flyers/holmgren

so are you guys happy with the job gm paul holmgren has done so far? im not. i wish they would get rid of him. i have been told Rome wasn't built in a day etc. Your thoughts?

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so are you guys happy with the job gm paul holmgren has done so far? im not. i wish they would get rid of him. i have been told Rome wasn't built in a day etc. Your thoughts?

I like homer he isnt the best GM in the league but we have a solid team i think Bryz was a huge mistake but he should be able to get out from under that this summer. WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on coburn:
i think it's unwise to judge the guy too much on a shortened season where he was hurt for half of it. i think the flyers are perfectly fine w/ him in the 3/4 hole next year

on mesz:
it's tough to judge him on a shortened, injury plagued season too. if he's healthy, i think he's a fine 4/5 dman that's more than capable of moving up in case of injury. but his injury history is definitely a concern. however, look at where in the lineup we're talking. he's the flyers #5 if everyone is healthy. there's no need to try to get pietrangelo or yandle when you need a #5. hell, gus played well enough in the second half of the season that i'd be fine w/ him in the 5-spot, though i would prefer getting another bottom pair dman rather than have a gervais/gus 3rd pair.

im just throwing this out there. I truly believe our defense looked a lot better when mason was in net. his puck handling being a major difference.

Slayer31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. I think he needed to improve the D last summer (see other debate!), and he tried, but failed.

I can't fault him for Bryz. I believe the owner put a gun to his head and said go get a top goalie. There are many who thought Bryz would play better than he has.

The Timo / Hartnell move was brilliant.

Bringing in Chris Pronger was simply awesome.

Didn't mind losing Carter so much, but not sure about trading the former Captain to L.A. That was a tough one to take.

He certainly gets points for trying to address needs, and for being creative.

And I very much like him more than his predecessor. #16 was a childhood hero of mine... love Bobby Clarke, really don't like Bob Clarke.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i like him. like las said, not the best GM in the world, but i do like most of what he's done. i hated the pronger trade from the start (destroyed the farm) and hated the contract extension even more (on the cap til 2017).. and i dont think he has a good understanding of the goalie free agent market (leighton significantly overpaid, bryz WAY WAY overpaid).. but i think aside from that he's been pretty solid.. i've liked his draft picks so far, i like the richards and carter trades.. even the bob trade was well executed at the time (hindsight is 20/20).. grossmann was a steal, kubina prior to injury was a good deal too IMO.. i was elated at the versteeg trade when it happened, but it didnt pan out, and then homer turned him back in for his draft picks again (flyers 1st was late 20s, panthers 2nd was like 7th or something)

going back even further, what he did to turn around the last place team and build a contender almost overnight when he took over, was phenominal. coburn, timonen, hartnell, parent, upshall, and briere for a washed up and broken forsberg, zhitnik, and some cap space was extremely impressive.

also, WELCOME ABOARD! hope you stick around! :yo:

im just throwing this out there. I truly believe our defense looked a lot better when mason was in net. his puck handling being a major difference.

agree 100%.. granted, i think i only saw 2 of mason's starts, but a puck-handling goalie can make all the difference in the world when you struggle to beat a strong forecheck

Last edited by a moderator:

Slayer31

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No point in debating whether a player is good or bad; just for the record:
-I like Coburn
-Of course I like Timo
After that, not so much
-Like Grossmans' toughness, but calling them "fine" is probably accurate. Maybe my expectations for D are too high, but I see him as a strong 5-6.
-Don't like Mesz
-Schenn makes a lot of mistakes, IMO. Of course, want to keep him, but I can't call him great, although he hits a great deal.
-Liked Lauridsen when he came up late in the year, but not sure he's a top 4 on a true cup-contending team yet.

In summary, I think we're thin. I think we were last year too.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-I like Coburn
-Of course I like Timo
After that, not so much
-Like Grossmans' toughness, but calling them "fine" is probably accurate. Maybe my expectations for D are too high, but I see him as a strong 5-6.
-Don't like Mesz
-Schenn makes a lot of mistakes, IMO. Of course, want to keep him, but I can't call him great, although he hits a great deal.
-Liked Lauridsen when he came up late in the year, but not sure he's a top 4 on a true cup-contending team yet.

I love timo for his toughness alone and he gets points
Grossman is a solid 3rd and 4th blocks a lot of shots which we need with Bryz in net
Mezz i think has been broken down by injuries and will not return to his form of 3 years ago
Schenn does make mistakes with the puck but he is a very solid defenseman and is still young enough to get even better and is a monster checker and will protect his players which i always like
Laurdisen i like but in no way is he a top 4 he would be a very good 5 or 6 and i really like his willingness to not take any shit from anyone

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-I like Coburn
-Of course I like Timo
After that, not so much
-Don't like Mesz

i think we're thin in terms of top-pair guys.. i think timonen and schenn (not sure what more you could've wanted from him this year) are the only legit top 2 guys.. but 3-6 i have a hard time saying the flyers are thin because they had gustafsson, lauridsen, gervais, and foster player those roles in multiple games and they looked better than they had all season.. because they actually focused on defense

for the majority of the season you had a bunch of ogres trying to play run and gun hockey, which makes no sense. i dont think it's a personnel issue as much as it is matching your style of hockey to the personnel you have. if you want to play run and gun hockey, you need to get rid of grossmann, schenn, lauridsen, and probably coburn because they aren't puck movers. but if you play a tight checking game and have the forwards come back to help the breakout, they are perfectly fine, possibly even perfect, for the team.

Chico Salmon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Flyer fans, Newbie here. Man what a horrible season huh. Hope they do something good in the off season. Baseball is going now so that's my passion right now. Will try to stop by here from time to time. Being in Utah I don't get a lot of Flyer games but I still try to follow.:suds:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Flyer fans, Newbie here. Man what a horrible season huh. Hope they do something good in the off season. Baseball is going now so that's my passion right now. Will try to stop by here from time to time. Being in Utah I don't get a lot of Flyer games but I still try to follow.:suds:

hi Chico welcome to the board :suds:

Yeah tough season hopefully it was a fluke and we will dominate again next season.

feel free to come back anytime :yahoo:

Chico Salmon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hi Chico welcome to the board :suds:

Yeah tough season hopefully it was a fluke and we will dominate again next season.

feel free to come back anytime :yahoo:

Hey thanks man, yea it was a brutal season hoping for some strong defensive moves this off season.

I work in sales here so if I don't respond sometimes it's because I'm in and out of meetings all day long.:gaah: But I will definitly be around during work when I can..

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey thanks man, yea it was a brutal season hoping for some strong defensive moves this off season.

I work in sales here so if I don't respond sometimes it's because I'm in and out of meetings all day long.:gaah: But I will definitly be around during work when I can..

Cool glad to see some new faces and yes defensive help is definately needed.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
welcome aboard chico! take off your coat and stay a while :yo:

Chico Salmon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
welcome aboard chico! take off your coat and stay a while :yo:

Will do, just had an unexpected Boss visit to my office, lol. Good thing is he rarely shows up without notice..

So is there a lot of traffic here or is it better on the main boards? I'm pretty much here to just talk sports..

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will do, just had an unexpected Boss visit to my office, lol. Good thing is he rarely shows up without notice..

So is there a lot of traffic here or is it better on the main boards? I'm pretty much here to just talk sports..

it kinda goes up and down.. we've had quite a few frequent posters kinda drop off the face of the earth lately, but i think in the fall and with a better season, they'll start to come back.. this board gets pretty good activity, i wanna say it's the 3rd or 4th most popular team board on the forum

the NHL general board is a good one too, lots of all-around hockey discussion in there as quite a few teams don't use their team board and just use the general one

Chico Salmon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it kinda goes up and down.. we've had quite a few frequent posters kinda drop off the face of the earth lately, but i think in the fall and with a better season, they'll start to come back.. this board gets pretty good activity, i wanna say it's the 3rd or 4th most popular team board on the forum

the NHL general board is a good one too, lots of all-around hockey discussion in there as quite a few teams don't use their team board and just use the general one

Cool thanks, I'll try and hang around for awhile hope to get to meet some more good Flyers fans..

Status
Not open for further replies.