• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Acquire Steve Downie From Avs For Max Talbot

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing about Downie is that he is helping couturier's offensive game majorly.

Unfortunatley I see him being lost to free agency

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you never know he may show some allegiance to Philly for saving him. They only moved him before because he was a young hothead looking for big hits they had no choice. Otherwise the talents always been there.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Downie playing with Couts and Read that line can be awesome at times with Talbot on that line they were terrible. Talbot penalty killing is overated in my opinon and he lacks toughness that Downie has. We won that trade.

I think his point was that both teams benefited from the trade, so it was a win-win. Flyers needed toughness and scoring, Avs needed veteran leadership and defensive play.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his point was that both teams benefited from the trade, so it was a win-win. Flyers needed toughness and scoring, Avs needed veteran leadership and defensive play.

The question in the heading was "who won the trade" i think we won that trade hands down. I would do that trade over and over again. Talbot may have added leadership but his defensive play is overated IMO. :nod:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say this, but Talbot has somehow outscored Downie since the trade. I know Downie missed some time obviously, but there's still really no excuse for this. It may be changing still as Talbot has been held scoreless in his last four games while Downie has three assists over that same stretch.

It is worth noting that our penalty kill is ranked 6th in the Nhl without Talbot. That may be attributed to guys like Raffl and Rinaldo seamlessly filling that hole.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to say this, but Talbot has somehow outscored Downie since the trade. I know Downie missed some time obviously, but there's still really no excuse for this. It may be changing still as Talbot has been held scoreless in his last four games while Downie has three assists over that same stretch.

It is worth noting that our penalty kill is ranked 6th in the Nhl without Talbot. That may be attributed to guys like Raffl and Rinaldo seamlessly filling that hole.

Downie would have way more points if he wasnt hurt and also benched by Berube. He was going nuts with the Couts line and then got hurt and when he came back for some stupid reason Berube never put that line back together in turn leading to his benching for some games. Im sure Talbot has played more games since the trade. Plus Downie bring hits and fights when needed and is just a better all around player. All Talbot did for us since his big year was penalty kill and we have Couts Read Raffl Hall and Gee to do that just as good and some do it better. Heck even Rinaldo kills penaties well. Im glad we have Downie and not Talbot lets put it that way. :yahoo:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Age and wear and tear factor into this as well. Downie is three years younger and has played about 300 fewer Nhl games than Talbot including playoffs. Talbot does have the experience edge, but I'd expect Downie to be a fresher, hungrier player. His one playoff year in Tampa was a strong one and I'd like to see what he can do if given another opportunity.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still do this trade everytime. Downie can be a bonehead, but he can also be a top 9 forward. That being said I want him traded at the deadline regardless of where we stand