• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Acquire Steve Downie From Avs For Max Talbot

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eklund says we are having serious discussions with St. Louis and Edmonton.

BLOW IT UP

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a precursor to another move, probably one that will address the lack of puck movement on D. Rumors are that the Flyers are now talking with St Louis and Edmonton. If I had to guess, the primary names would be Shattenkirk or Justin Schultz.

Justin Schultz for Wayne Simmonds?

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
interesting move. gotta agree, i think this is a precursor to something else. wayne simmonds might be on the move. downie could be the guy to help fill in the hole.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe something like Wayne Simmonds and Braydon Coburn for Justin Schultz and Ales Hemsky - I don't know if that gets it done but it would fit the Oilers needs in terms of being a little scrappier and it would help the Flyers get a little more skilled

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Schultz, but Hemsky holds approximately zero value in my book. He'd be a solid pickup for a true contender though.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like Schultz, but Hemsky holds approximately zero value in my book. He'd be a solid pickup for a true contender though.

I can understand the whole Hemsky thing, he probably fits better on a true contender, but on paper, that deal is solid for both teams

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand the whole Hemsky thing, he probably fits better on a true contender, but on paper, that deal is solid for both teams

I certainly see the value. With Downie I have to assume Simmonds and/or Hartnell are being shopped

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is a precursor to another move, probably one that will address the lack of puck movement on D. Rumors are that the Flyers are now talking with St Louis and Edmonton. If I had to guess, the primary names would be Shattenkirk or Justin Schultz.

As far as this trade goes I like it for the most part. If Downie plays with G and Vinny he'll open up space for them and provide some more speed, I'm not sure if he's an upgrade over Raffl though who imo has looked great lately. I also don't understand why they wouldn't try Rinaldo out in the role before making a trade for a guy with a very similar skill set and attributes. I think this is the stamp the Chief wants to put on the team basically saying "we want to be hard to play against" and some of our current guys just aren't living up to that statement now. As far as everything else I really don't think Homer is done here, he may be getting ready to overpay for a D-man. I could see EDM, StL and WPG being involved as potential trade partners, I'll throw my thoughts below for discussion.

EDM isn't giving up J Schultz for anything less then a full raping of their trade partner. Smid would be more likely or depending of where the front office actually see itself this season they could be looking at Nurse to add for the future.

StL may be willing to move Shattenkirk for the right return, I would think this trade may center around Simmonds and Gustaffson. Simmonds matches their system and Gustaffson would be a decent 3rd pairing puck mover for them, plus the money matches up. I could also see talks involving Jay Bo, I know that may not be popular but it's a likely scenario. I personally wouldn't mind trying to get Paajarvi in the deal coming back since I'm pretty sure we're going to be losing a forward.

I could also see WPG being involved. I know everyone has heard the big Buff rumors (a horrible idea in my opinion), but I would think the Flyers would be looking at Bogosian or Enstrom(would be very expensive). I doubt they'd be willing to move Trouba but for the right package we may be able to pry him from them but we'd have to eat some salary too.

I don't know these are just my thoughts when looking around the NHL. I still think we should have pursued a trade for Franson in the off season even if we slightly over paid it would have been a good move then and great move now seeing what Franson has done for the Leafs.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as this trade goes I like it for the most part. If Downie plays with G and Vinny he'll open up space for them and provide some more speed, I'm not sure if he's an upgrade over Raffl though who imo has looked great lately. I also don't understand why they wouldn't try Rinaldo out in the role before making a trade for a guy with a very similar skill set and attributes. I think this is the stamp the Chief wants to put on the team basically saying "we want to be hard to play against" and some of our current guys just aren't living up to that statement now. As far as everything else I really don't think Homer is done here, he may be getting ready to overpay for a D-man. I could see EDM, StL and WPG being involved as potential trade partners, I'll throw my thoughts below for discussion.

EDM isn't giving up J Schultz for anything less then a full raping of their trade partner. Smid would be more likely or depending of where the front office actually see itself this season they could be looking at Nurse to add for the future.

StL may be willing to move Shattenkirk for the right return, I would think this trade may center around Simmonds and Gustaffson. Simmonds matches their system and Gustaffson would be a decent 3rd pairing puck mover for them, plus the money matches up. I could also see talks involving Jay Bo, I know that may not be popular but it's a likely scenario. I personally wouldn't mind trying to get Paajarvi in the deal coming back since I'm pretty sure we're going to be losing a forward.

I could also see WPG being involved. I know everyone has heard the big Buff rumors (a horrible idea in my opinion), but I would think the Flyers would be looking at Bogosian or Enstrom(would be very expensive). I doubt they'd be willing to move Trouba but for the right package we may be able to pry him from them but we'd have to eat some salary too.

I don't know these are just my thoughts when looking around the NHL. I still think we should have pursued a trade for Franson in the off season even if we slightly over paid it would have been a good move then and great move now seeing what Franson has done for the Leafs.

Flyers could also pursue Christian Ehrhoff with the Sabres - his deal is front loaded too - wonder what they'd want in return for him

A couple other guys I'd pursue are Brendan Smith and Dmitry Kulikov - I think those guys need changes of scenery and they have really good potential

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO this move makes hartnell available.

someone may have said this already i've been working on this eloquent post for over an hour. stupid work getting in the way.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

overall i agree w/ this post. two additions,

1. downie has infinitely more hockey skill than rinaldo, that's my guess as to why they never tried rinaldo with G and Lecavalier.. downie is actually a very talented hockey player, he's just a nutjob and goes full retard on a semi-regular basis and that's what grabs the headlines

2. i will blow a gasket if the flyers acquire jay bouwmeester.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember guys, Steve Downie is a way different player now than he was five years ago - it's been that long since he was last with the Flyers - he's gotten a lot better since then - the Avs went on a crazy run in the final month or so of the season two seasons ago when they traded for him - their record with him was really good - I'll have to check what their exact record was with him in the lineup but it was pretty darn good

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smid doesn't fill a need. He's just more of what the Flyers already have. At 3-9-2 I think everyone's price tag has fallen, especially is someone like B Schenn was the return.

Simmonds and Gus for Shattenkirk (maybe+) was EXACTLY what I was thinking...Bouwmeester has a NTC.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO this move makes hartnell available.

someone may have said this already i've been working on this eloquent post for over an hour. stupid work getting in the way.

Hartnell has a NTC. I could see him waiving it to go to STL, but definitely not Edm.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck to Max, I will always wish him the best no matter where he goes.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hartnell has a NTC. I could see him waiving it to go to STL, but definitely not Edm.

It is a modified NMC and Hartnell has apparently waived once to go to Edmonton

Hartnell for Souray deal: Today's legendary hockey trade rumor - Puck Daddy - NHL Blog - Yahoo! Sports

"Steve Tambellini offered Sheldon Souray to the Flyers for Scott Hartnell. And Hartnell has a no-trade clause and Paul Holmgren went to Hartnell and said, 'Listen, the Oilers are interested in you. Would you waive your no trade?' And Hartnell said, 'You know, I'd like to, I wouldn't mind going to Edmonton and playing.'

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Downie was the reason Varlamov kicked his girlfriend... :omg:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a modified NMC and Hartnell has apparently waived once to go to Edmonton

Hartnell for Souray deal: Today's legendary hockey trade rumor - Puck Daddy - NHL*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

"Steve Tambellini offered Sheldon Souray to the Flyers for Scott Hartnell. And Hartnell has a no-trade clause and Paul Holmgren went to Hartnell and said, 'Listen, the Oilers are interested in you. Would you waive your no trade?' And Hartnell said, 'You know, I'd like to, I wouldn't mind going to Edmonton and playing.'

Interesting...

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do Kulikov and Matthias for Simmer and Braydon Coburn - it would fit some needs - Flyers get a young, puck moving defenseman and a center that can replace Max Talbot - the Panthers get grit up front and they get a more defensive defenseman on their blueline

If you make that deal the lines could look like this

Steve Downie - Claude Giroux - Vinny Lecavalier
Scott Hartnell - Brayden Schenn - Jakub Voracek
Michael Raffl - Sean Couturier - Matt Read
Adam Hall - Shawn Matthias - Zac Rinaldo