• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers Acquire Steve Downie From Avs For Max Talbot

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
overall i agree w/ this post. two additions,

1. downie has infinitely more hockey skill than rinaldo, that's my guess as to why they never tried rinaldo with G and Lecavalier.. downie is actually a very talented hockey player, he's just a nutjob and goes full retard on a semi-regular basis and that's what grabs the headlines

2. i will blow a gasket if the flyers acquire jay bouwmeester.

1. never go full retard
2. i knew this would incite fury in your soul

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would do Kulikov and Matthias for Simmer and Braydon Coburn - it would fit some needs - Flyers get a young, puck moving defenseman and a center that can replace Max Talbot - the Panthers get grit up front and they get a more defensive defenseman on their blueline

If you make that deal the lines could look like this

Steve Downie - Claude Giroux - Vinny Lecavalier
Scott Hartnell - Brayden Schenn - Jakub Voracek
Michael Raffl - Sean Couturier - Matt Read
Adam Hall - Shawn Matthias - Zac Rinaldo

i don't think i'd do that one.. the flyers have no need for matthias IMO.. hall and talbot are essentially the same player, hall can replace talbot.. and i dont think kulikov is worth coburn and simmer.. coburn, like him or not, is leading the team in minutes this season i believe (if not, i bet he has since berube took over).. he hasn't been a world beater obviously, but he's been playing pretty solid defense and kulikov can't replace 24+ minutes of solid defense.. he might have 4 solid defensive minutes per game

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. never go full retard
2. i knew this would incite fury in your soul

if reference 2 happens, reference 1 will likely follow shortly

we gotta be coming up on my first anti-jbo rant's 6 year anniversary now.. i think i made that rant on espn during my freshman year internship.. which was in '08 haha.. one of my strongest arguments in my message board career if i do say so myself

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently downie was playing on the top line with duchene and oreilly in colorado.. maybe he plays with giroux and lecavalier? that'd be a fun line to watch i think

Why this trade surprised me.I wasn't at all thrilled when the Flyers took Downie #1 from my hometown Spitfires.

He seems to have toned down over the years from his anger issues.This deal is definitely in the Flyers favor IMO.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to pee in everyone's Cherios, but lets remember who the GM is. Consider the potential trading partners rumored. Now, stop trying to apply logic and making moves for needed skills and consider the track record. I would not be surprised to see the Flyers acquire a big slow footed blueliner or another "energy/character" winger or center.

Holmgren and Berube talked about a change of culture being needed, so back comes Downie?

I cannot see Holmgren making a move for a skill player over a mucker. That folks, the Flyers have muckers, they need to put the puck in the net. If this does not pan out, if this team does not start to really perform on all levels consistently and for three periods....then there needs to be a real house cleaning....starting with the GM and then the coaching and scouting staff because those are the people who lobby for the players the GM trades for and drafts.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i dont know if that's necessarily true.. i would think they got downie to play on the 3rd line.. i would think raffl is probably more likely to go down than rinaldo.. hopefully rosehill is the odd man out though, he's useless

[YOUTUBE]-D7HmnsHGJI[/YOUTUBE]

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to pee in everyone's Cherios, but lets remember who the GM is. Consider the potential trading partners rumored. Now, stop trying to apply logic and making moves for needed skills and consider the track record. I would not be surprised to see the Flyers acquire a big slow footed blueliner or another "energy/character" winger or center.

Holmgren and Berube talked about a change of culture being needed, so back comes Downie?

I cannot see Holmgren making a move for a skill player over a mucker. That folks, the Flyers have muckers, they need to put the puck in the net. If this does not pan out, if this team does not start to really perform on all levels consistently and for three periods....then there needs to be a real house cleaning....starting with the GM and then the coaching and scouting staff because those are the people who lobby for the players the GM trades for and drafts.

In general, the philosophy of this organization is very flawed, but you have to admit, Steve Downie was a spark plug in Colorado and didn't play with Matt Duchene and Ryan O'Reilly for nothing - he played very well with those guys and there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to play well with Claude Giroux and Vinny Lecavalier if he gets that opportunity

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the event we are out of it at the deadline and not in a position to re-sign Downie, I'm sure he'd fetch a solid return.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the event we are out of it at the deadline and not in a position to re-sign Downie, I'm sure he'd fetch a solid return.
This trade did give the Flyers flexibility in terms of trading a contract with two years left for a contract expiring after this season

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, I can't for the life of me figure out why Colorado would trade Downie (a younger, tough guy with offensive upside who has been playing 16:43 per game on the top line with Matt Duchene, their top forward on a 10-1 team) for Talbot (a defensive grinder who was essentially recently relegated to the fourth line of a 3-8 team).

Downie is 900k more expensive, but that's small peanuts and he is a UFA at the end of the season.

I can't help but approve of the trade because Downie is really not the player he was when he first left us. He's a much better player now. The only concern are his 36 penalty minutes. Can he control himself? Also, deep down, we all still hate Talbot and are thrilled to see him go...lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flyers have to do something. They are 3 and 8 and not looking especially effective at much of anything.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The flyers have to do something. They are 3 and 8 and not looking especially effective at much of anything.

I have to respectfully disagree. This has been a different team since they had a full week off to practice the new system and skate hard. We beat the Rags, Isles and had the Ducks on the ropes before the third period. Our power play was 2 for 10 over those three games and our penalty kill was 7 for 7. Meanwhile, Mason is among the league leaders in starting goalie stats, G has his playmaking hat on, while Lecavalier and Read are netting goals. For what it's worth, Voracek and Couturier look revitalized as well.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, I can't for the life of me figure out why Colorado would trade Downie (a younger, tough guy with offensive upside who has been playing 16:43 per game on the top line with Matt Duchene, their top forward on a 10-1 team) for Talbot (a defensive grinder who was essentially recently relegated to the fourth line of a 3-8 team).

Downie is 900k more expensive, but that's small peanuts and he is a UFA at the end of the season.

I can't help but approve of the trade because Downie is really not the player he was when he first left us. He's a much better player now. The only concern are his 36 penalty minutes. Can he control himself? Also, deep down, we all still hate Talbot and are thrilled to see him go...lol

The Avs are trying to spin this trade by saying that Max Talbot was brought there for his "veteran experience" - shouldn't a guy like Patrick Roy, with all those cups and his experience in big games, be able to lead that group? It's just fishy to me how the Avs made that move - I don't know what they were thinking, but hey, it's nice to have Steve Downie back

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...obligatory

[youtube]322zqTkL0-c[/youtube]

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Avs are trying to spin this trade by saying that Max Talbot was brought there for his "veteran experience" - shouldn't a guy like Patrick Roy, with all those cups and his experience in big games, be able to lead that group? It's just fishy to me how the Avs made that move - I don't know what they were thinking, but hey, it's nice to have Steve Downie back

Talbot is a defensive player and the Avs are the best defensive team in the Nhl by a mile at even strength and on the penalty kill, which is another thing Talbot does. And why on earth would they shuffle up the top line of Duchene, O'Reilly and Downie when they have been absolutely dominant? Yes, they're shedding $900k in salary, but according to capgeek, they already had plenty of available space. This whole deal is an absolute mystery to me, but we appear to be the benefactor, so I'll definitely take it.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are trying to free up cash to make a deal for a goalie like Ryan Miller, at least thats my guess or they just like giving players away!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...obligatory

[youtube]322zqTkL0-c[/youtube]

1. I miss kapanen. That dude was awesome. If they have a chance, I hope they draft kasperi.

2. Mesz gets a lot of air time in that clip haha

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Maverick. Folks may look revitalized and there may be better goal play but the 2 for 10 powerplay stat is a bit pedestrian. Those are stats indicating we may be going in a better direction but a better direction is not translating into wins right away which is the bottom line.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Maverick. Folks may look revitalized and there may be better goal play but the 2 for 10 powerplay stat is a bit pedestrian. Those are stats indicating we may be going in a better direction but a better direction is not translating into wins right away which is the bottom line.

2 for 10 is 20% and 11 other teams in the Nhl would love to have that trend. Besides, that's about 12% better than where we were and these stats actually are translating into wins. We're scoring more goals and still only giving up 2.25 when Mason starts. This is why we've won 2 of 3. Talk to me after November. One way or another, this is going to be a successful month of hockey for the Flyers.

Yeah, the Flyers are 3-8 and it's easy to dwell on that, but they're a better team that that record indicates and this month is going to prove it. When G said this team was going to make the playoffs, he wasn't just talking out his ass, I truly believe him. The improvements out on the ice and the numbers will continue to back it up. It doesn't hurt that our November schedule has to be the weakest in the Nhl, as I documented in another thread.

Last edited by a moderator: