• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Florida "Surges" into No. 1 spot in Recruiting

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it was actually more just me being at a certain site when I was tabulating. OSU's class on 247 in 2015 had 11 three star kids 14 four star kids and 1 five star. Still not very far off.

If I wanted to show Michigan in the best possible light, I would just use the Scout rankings which have us as the #1 class. Michigan has 11+ four or five (scout) star recruits on every site. That's a lot of four star commitments no matter how you want to qualify it.
Fair enough. At any rate, as we've seen, highly ranked recruiting classes and michigan haven't really meant much. They need to make sure they're actually addressing positions of need with the right guys and not just going after star rankings.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. At any rate, as we've seen, highly ranked recruiting classes and michigan haven't really meant much. They need to make sure they're actually addressing positions of need with the right guys and not just going after star rankings.
I'd argue the only reason we were this good so quickly with Harbaugh was those highly rated classes that Hoke got in the first couple of years. That's why we have guys like Lewis and Butt.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd argue the only reason we were this good so quickly with Harbaugh was those highly rated classes that Hoke got in the first couple of years. That's why we have guys like Lewis and Butt.
True, but those classes also yielded some real busts and plenty of guys not living up to their ranking. First and foremost, you guys have to clear up the QB situation if you want to be B1G contenders. Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, and even Northwestern pretty much have that figured out for at least 2016, if not beyond.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First and foremost, you guys have to clear up the QB situation if you want to be B1G contenders. Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, and even Northwestern pretty much have that figured out for at least 2016, if not beyond.

Brandon Peters committed to UM. He is one of 6 finalists for the National High School Player of the Year award. As the first QB recruited by Harbaugh in a full class. I think that is a pretty good start. I believe he finished the year as the #4 pro style QB in the country. (Though that doesn't mean much, as Devin Gardner was the #1 rated dual threat QB when he signed with us)

As far as next year -- John O'Korn will be eligible after transferring in from Houston. He will have had a year working with the coaches under his belt and as a freshman at Houston -- he threw for 3000+ yards and 28 tds. Granted -- he lost his job to a more mobile QB his sophomore year -- I think a full year working with the coaching staff will do wonders for him.

UM also has a former 5 star bust of a QB on the roster with 2 years eligibility left (Shane Morris), though I'm not a fan of his, unless Harbaugh can work miracles.

That being said -- I can say I was shocked UM was as competitive as they were this year to begin with. I thought it'd take 2 or 3 years to become competitive again.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but those classes also yielded some real busts and plenty of guys not living up to their ranking. First and foremost, you guys have to clear up the QB situation if you want to be B1G contenders. Ohio State, Michigan State, Iowa, and even Northwestern pretty much have that figured out for at least 2016, if not beyond.
Michigan State doesn't really have it figured out. Cook is gone and I haven't seen anything impressive from O'Conner yet. Iowa and OSU -- sure. Northwestern? Meh.

I am still not worried about our QB situation. Plenty of talent and now guys who have been under Harbaugh for a year. And with Peters enrolling early, it should give him a great shot at winning the job if someone like Morris or O'Korn does not.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan State doesn't really have it figured out. Cook is gone and I haven't seen anything impressive from O'Conner yet. Iowa and OSU -- sure. Northwestern? Meh.

I am still not worried about our QB situation. Plenty of talent and now guys who have been under Harbaugh for a year. And with Peters enrolling early, it should give him a great shot at winning the job if someone like Morris or O'Korn does not.
If Morris is able to win your starting job, it will not be a good season. That kid is like an untalented Manziel.

Also, I think Terry can play for MSU. Either way, they have two kids that showed the ability to get the job done this year, and they'll have all offseason to continue working.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Morris is able to win your starting job, it will not be a good season. That kid is like an untalented Manziel.

Also, I think Terry can play for MSU. Either way, they have two kids that showed the ability to get the job done this year, and they'll have all offseason to continue working.

Morris has all the tools to be a great QB -- he just doesn't have between the ears. He has the size and body, a rocket arm, he can move, but he just doesn't have it in game situations. He had shots multiple times to win the job and has been brutal.

If Harbaugh was able to turn him into a legitimate starting QB -- I would be utterly shocked.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morris has all the tools to be a great QB -- he just doesn't have between the ears. He has the size and body, a rocket arm, he can move, but he just doesn't have it in game situations. He had shots multiple times to win the job and has been brutal.

If Harbaugh was able to turn him into a legitimate starting QB -- I would be utterly shocked.
If he could turn him into a viable college backup he should earn coach of the year. I just remember how that punk came in spouting off before ever even stepping onto the field. I never understood how he got 5* status, his stats were very average.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he could turn him into a viable college backup he should earn coach of the year. I just remember how that punk came in spouting off before ever even stepping onto the field. I never understood how he got 5* status, his stats were very average.

It was all the camps he went to. He was in the finals of the Elite 11 QB camp and was named MVP in one along the way.

I truly have no clue how he was a 5 star either. Maybe he is really good when playing in shorts and a t-shirt, because when he faces a live defense -- he is terrible.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And with Peters enrolling early, it should give him a great shot at winning the job if someone like Morris or O'Korn does not.

I don't see Harbaugh starting Peters as a freshman. I bet he gets red shirted. Only way he wins the job is if he is leaps and bounds better than anyone on the roster.

My money is on O'Korn being the starting QB.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was all the camps he went to. He was in the finals of the Elite 11 QB camp and was named MVP in one along the way.

I truly have no clue how he was a 5 star either. Maybe he is really good when playing in shorts and a t-shirt, because when he faces a live defense -- he is terrible.
Actually you nailed it. I remember hearing about that as well. He had a meteoric rise after the camps that spring/summer if I remember.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually you nailed it. I remember hearing about that as well. He had a meteoric rise after the camps that spring/summer if I remember.
Part of it too was just his arm strength. He did well at camps because of that and he still has one of the biggest arms on our team. His arm is 5 star capable but his head never caught up.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We recruit more 4* players than nearly anyone every year, and between Rivals/247, we're either first or second, so...

Whatever...it was the 3 star at Ohio St is a 4 star everywhere else part I was calling bullshit on...like nobody else is capable of developing talent. I will take our recruiting classes and draft picks over yours any day of the week.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever...it was the 3 star at Ohio St is a 4 star everywhere else part I was calling bullshit on...like nobody else is capable of developing talent. I will take our recruiting classes and draft picks over yours any day of the week.

Was talking college football with some guys at the bar tonight. One guy said -- name the best QB from Alabama and Ohio State in the NFL over the past 25 years.

Everyone was shocked when we couldn't think of one. He then said Mike Tomczak (sp). How two programs that get the type of talent those two get -- it was crazy to me they haven't had big talent at the QB position.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was talking college football with some guys at the bar tonight. One guy said -- name the best QB from Alabama and Ohio State in the NFL over the past 25 years.

Everyone was shocked when we couldn't think of one. He then said Mike Tomczak (sp). How two programs that get the type of talent those two get -- it was crazy to me they haven't had big talent at the QB position.
The last Alabama quarterback to win a game as a starter was Jeff Rutledge, a journeyman NFL quarterback who won a national championship with Bear Bryant in 1978.

Shocker: No Alabama quarterback has won an NFL game since 1987

AJ McCarron has a chance to break that string tomorrow for the Bungles.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last Alabama quarterback to win a game as a starter was Jeff Rutledge, a journeyman NFL quarterback who won a national championship with Bear Bryant in 1978.

Shocker: No Alabama quarterback has won an NFL game since 1987

AJ McCarron has a chance to break that string tomorrow for the Bungles.

Tough to get a stud to come when you know he's not going to get to air it out. I think that will change with Urban, but I don't see it changing for us. On the other hand, we don't have much trouble attracting top running back talent.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever dude. Go cry somewhere else, crybaby. I wasn't talking to you or about Alabama anyhow.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever dude. Go cry somewhere else, crybaby. I wasn't talking to you or about Alabama anyhow.

LOL, excuse me for assuming "everyone else" meant "everyone else"

I think I will start calling you the Rainbow Warrior

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been surprised to see this thread still on the 1st page for awhile...because did anyone think UF would stay down for much longer.

Then, when I open the thread, it's just the usual Big 10 homos talking about their own s-h-I-t. Get a room, bitches.

Last edited:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised at UVA being so low since we've been awful for quite a while now (hoping now that London is finally gone that Bronco can pull in some good recruits) but I'm surprised that Western Kentucky isn't getting better recruits since they've had a really good year. Thought for sure that they'd be able to lure in some solid offensive talent at least with the high scoring offense Brohm has had the two years he's been there.