• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flacco signed. Highest paid QB ever

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish people would do their research about other organizations before making comments.

He is the winningest QB in the league since he came into the league. More wins than Brady and Manning and Rogers and Brees. Selfish overpaid contract and lost everyone on the defense? Please. Do your research.

Doesn't Matt Ryan have more wins than Joe Flacco over the same period?

And do not both Tom Brady and Peyton Manning have only four seasons of wins compared to Flacco's five? And do not both Rodgers & Brady have "more wins" than Flacco over the past four seasons?

Since post-season victories are never tacit to unqualified claims of QB's "winning" numbers that would make your comment, at best, very misleading while at worst it is simply untruthful.

IMO, Flacco is grossly overpaid and his contract will hurt your teams' future.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Flacco casting as Johnny Unitas in Unitas film ignites family feud

"If you want a quarterback, go with Peyton Manning," he told USA Today Sports. "My father was just like that. This is a joke."

His son, J.C., ripped Flacco's casting in a post on his Facebook page, writing that it is an "embarrassing choice," according to USA Today.

According to USA Today, J.C. Unitas wrote: "My grandfather and his legacy deserves only the best, and this is not it. Has Baltimore forgotten that Trent Dilfer also won a Super Bowl while playing for Baltimore?"

I don't think Peyton Manning would spend any time in the summer acting in any movie - and even he likes to be in front of the camera. But then again, who else is in a movie during their career? Karl Malone was in a western. Shaq and Jordan have, though Jordan did his when "retired."

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think Peyton Manning would spend any time in the summer acting in any movie - and even he likes to be in front of the camera. But then again, who else is in a movie during their career? Karl Malone was in a western. Shaq and Jordan have, though Jordan did his when "retired."

Was Terry Bradshaw still playing when he showed up in Cannonball Run? I think Theismann was still in the NFL when he showed up in the sequel. But, they probably only did that cause Burt came calling.

If cameos count... Bart Fuvrah, Favera, whatever, was in Something about Mary

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you'd think they'd be more angry about not getting the best actor. Who cares about a persons football achievements when it comes to acting in a movie?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Flacco agent Joe Linta -- Baltmore Ravens made dumb move in 2012

Joe Flacco's agent told USA Today Sports that the Baltimore Ravens made a dumb move by not signing the quarterback before last season.

Flacco signed a six-year, $120.6 million extension this offseason after helping the Ravens win the Super Bowl. He has been criticized by some Ravens fans for the contract after Baltimore purged its roster of several high-priced veterans after re-signing its franchise quarterback.

Agent Joe Linta, however, told USA Today he has "no sympathy" for the Ravens, who could have signed his client to a much-more cap-friendly contract last year.

He told the newspaper that the hangup in the talks was over "$1 million six years from now." Flacco ended up walking away from a reported five-year extension that would have averaged $16 million per season after the Ravens wouldn't budge.

"I've never in my life seen a dumber move. I guess people can say, 'Well, Joe was dumb, too.' It could have been [dumb], God forbid, if he got hurt. But $1 million to [Ravens owner] Steve Bisciotti six years from now? That's like 100 bucks for you or me today," he told USA Today.

The Ravens likely will be forced to try to restructure Flacco's contract before the 2016 season as his deal is scheduled to carry a $28.55 million cap figure that season.

"I'm not apologetic for the fact this is really a three-year deal, there's no way they can afford $29 million a couple of years from now,'' Linta told USA Today. "I'm not apologetic. They chose to walk away.''

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh... and 2013. ;) I'm not sure this is good practice for an agent to talk to the public about this stuff, in a mocking way. I mean, if you have the guys and the leverage, fine. I suppose it can't hurt. If you have enough money, it isn't too bad. But I don't see the point. Does he want to put pressure on teams to give up more in advance on a gamble? Is he just defensive?

About the last quote, I realize that Flacco just signed his last big deal, most likely. But why call it a three year deal? I know that's what it is and I guess there's no sense in him acting like it isn't, it just seems why not just stick with the idea that he's worth the contract as a whole, even though he's already signed? Agents have more personality these days and players have less said publicly. (I'm not sure about that last part, but it seems they have for the most part been coached not to talk about contracts much. Then again, they've probably always been coached that and most followed it - either because it was sound advice or they weren't in position to talk.)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Joe Flacco agent Joe Linta -- Baltmore Ravens made dumb move in 2012

Joe Flacco's agent told USA Today Sports that the Baltimore Ravens made a dumb move by not signing the quarterback before last season.

Flacco signed a six-year, $120.6 million extension this offseason after helping the Ravens win the Super Bowl. He has been criticized by some Ravens fans for the contract after Baltimore purged its roster of several high-priced veterans after re-signing its franchise quarterback.

Agent Joe Linta, however, told USA Today he has "no sympathy" for the Ravens, who could have signed his client to a much-more cap-friendly contract last year.

He told the newspaper that the hangup in the talks was over "$1 million six years from now." Flacco ended up walking away from a reported five-year extension that would have averaged $16 million per season after the Ravens wouldn't budge.

"I've never in my life seen a dumber move. I guess people can say, 'Well, Joe was dumb, too.' It could have been [dumb], God forbid, if he got hurt. But $1 million to [Ravens owner] Steve Bisciotti six years from now? That's like 100 bucks for you or me today," he told USA Today.

The Ravens likely will be forced to try to restructure Flacco's contract before the 2016 season as his deal is scheduled to carry a $28.55 million cap figure that season.

"I'm not apologetic for the fact this is really a three-year deal, there's no way they can afford $29 million a couple of years from now,'' Linta told USA Today. "I'm not apologetic. They chose to walk away.''

i read an article last week saying Flacco really only 'turned it on' in the play-offs? PRIOR to last year play-offs there wasn't enough justification for a 'mega' deal? IMO didn't think Flacco had earned a really big contract prior, he was good at times over his career, but inconsistent.

anyway, it is a given he doesn't need to be apologetic, why does he have to go media to say this?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh... and 2013. ;) I'm not sure this is good practice for an agent to talk to the public about this stuff, in a mocking way. I mean, if you have the guys and the leverage, fine. I suppose it can't hurt. If you have enough money, it isn't too bad. But I don't see the point. Does he want to put pressure on teams to give up more in advance on a gamble? Is he just defensive?

About the last quote, I realize that Flacco just signed his last big deal, most likely. But why call it a three year deal? I know that's what it is and I guess there's no sense in him acting like it isn't, it just seems why not just stick with the idea that he's worth the contract as a whole, even though he's already signed? Agents have more personality these days and players have less said publicly. (I'm not sure about that last part, but it seems they have for the most part been coached not to talk about contracts much. Then again, they've probably always been coached that and most followed it - either because it was sound advice or they weren't in position to talk.)

He was probably asked a direct question about the 4th year of the deal.

he also didn't say Flacco isn't worth $29M per year, he said he understands that the Ravens will be unable to pay that amount. I think he sees it as an opportunity for Flacco to get another huge contract, with huge guaranteed numbers.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i read an article last week saying Flacco really only 'turned it on' in the play-offs? PRIOR to last year play-offs there wasn't enough justification for a 'mega' deal? IMO didn't think Flacco had earned a really big contract prior, he was good at times over his career, but inconsistent.

anyway, it is a given he doesn't need to be apologetic, why does he have to go media to say this?

I doubt he sought the media out to gloat about this. He was probably approached by a reporter from USA Today who wanted to talk about any number of things (the Jay Z situation is the most likely), and the conversation turned to Flacco, the reporter asked some questions and Linta answered honestly. The reporter then got to put any spin he chose on the report he filed.

It's important to remember that reporters have a job to do as well, and many of them are very good at it. They can get information they want (or in some cases information they aren't even after), and present the story in an interesting way.

I think the situation I've outlined above is way more likely than Linta calling up USA Today to gloat. Particularly a few months after the contract was signed.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It also probably helps this agent secure clients when he says that he held off on signing pretty big contract last year, and now look what his client got. Young players may look at this and be drawn to the possibilities.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're right, imac. I didn't mean to imply that he initiated the conversation. There are a lot of ways to answer the questions. Good insight on the benefits in showing young guys that waiting may pay off by showing indirectly/directly how much Flacco would have lost had he just said, "cut that million out and sign it now."

I've probably asked you this before but how did you get your name? Just like macs or coincidental? Work?

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're right, imac. I didn't mean to imply that he initiated the conversation. There are a lot of ways to answer the questions. Good insight on the benefits in showing young guys that waiting may pay off by showing indirectly/directly how much Flacco would have lost had he just said, "cut that million out and sign it now."

I've probably asked you this before but how did you get your name? Just like macs or coincidental? Work?

Coincidental. It just works out with my actual name.