• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fix the Cowboys?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly .... no quick fix

People are gonna be pissed at this ..... But let's say we goto the playoffs ... even win one......

Sure anything can happen if you get in ..... and you can ride that horseshoe.......

It's not a solid team ..... not one that last for years

There are players we can release next year ...... Two huge contracts on the border .... and right many free agents after this year

I was just looking for who to resign / release/ what positions to draft .... going forward

Like I said two years ago it would have been easy to call who to cut or trade for cap reasons. I believe we had 6 big contracts we could have traded or cut with almost no dead money. I don't see that now or next year. You watch the future cap figures a lot closer than I do so maybe there are options next off season. I think the offense us fine. If the defense can find a way to make a few stops this is a playoff team. Call me a homer but I have hopes in 2014.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said two years ago it would have been easy to call who to cut or trade for cap reasons. I believe we had 6 big contracts we could have traded or cut with almost no dead money. I don't see that now or next year. You watch the future cap figures a lot closer than I do so maybe there are options next off season. I think the offense us fine. If the defense can find a way to make a few stops this is a playoff team. Call me a homer but I have hopes in 2014.

Me as well.....but I tend to be like this every July/August/September.
jerry will be jerry till the day he dies and nothing say's Stephen will be any better. Blind ego is just that.

you gotta be lucky with injuries and with this team, better evaluations from scouts, and coaches. Coaches need to coach better, scheme better and communicate better. Players need to be more accountable and put in the time mostly through preparation for more consistency in all phases and better execution on game days. The talent difference between teams in the NFL are rather small in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We really aren't a quick fix away from anything, but we could start with our biggest issues.

Find two pass rushers. As Parcells said if you have one, you have none because they can take him away. Maybe we have one or two and maybe we don't, but we need them and if we do have them, they haven't shown themselves yet. Easy to find DL that can stop the run if you need to, but you must be able to get to the QB and protect your own QB to have success in this league.

Find a safety that can cover. I don't love Church, but I think he would be a fine in the "in the box safety" role if Marinelli lets Him play it. Hand and hand with this is playing to our players strengths. Kiffen didn't do this last year, but I think we will this year.

Find a way to keep Sean Lee healthy. One of the best players in the league, but he's just got to stay on the field.

Run the ball more. I'm not worried about the ratio or total rushes for the year as much as i am just commiting to the run and not abandoning it if we have a few fruitless rushes in a row. This team has shown that they can run when Murray is on the field and the line is healthy and now we add a first rounder to the mix. We can't panic and throw the game plan out the window just because things aren't going perfect. I
have been optimistic that we would run more for so long that I'll just wait and see at this point. I'm not convinced that Linehan will be any more interested in running than Garrett was and I'm not convinced he really will be the play caller. Garrett needs to step back and really be HC and that includes improving his decision making and especially down the stretch of games. The coaches need to nimprove as much as the players do.

Do all of the above before Romo hits the wall or we may be starting all over until we find another franchise QB.

The most important one of all...Draft well. Not just the first two rounds either. Like Earl pointed out a bunch of times here we need to draft better in later rounds like Seattle has done.

We have a young team, so we may just find that a lot of the above is already on the team. Time will tell...

UnBiasedPerspective

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say Fuck em all and let God sort them out.

Burn this bitch down and start from scratch.

Who in this entire org is worth starting over with. I honestly can'/t name one.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:suds:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad it finally turned into a conversation

Me .... Here's how Id do it

Contracts coming up ... Dez and Smith.

1 I make Smith the current highest paid LT in the league ..... 7 years .... room to restructure .... not injury prone ... not attitude issues .... no red flags ..... Lock his ass up

2. Here's where everyone gets mad ..... I woudnt give Dez a new contract...... I take away his bodyguards and security ... franchise tag him ...... and find out if he has grown to be a man

3 After this season .... straight release Carr .... Like Ware wouldnt save us money ... but it kills the dead money on the books

4. Dedicate myself to this system .... zone corners are half price of man corners .... eat the money and move on
( side note .... the TCU Cb was there for us this year ....... so yeah zone corners are there for the taking)

Worst defense in the league last year .... Almost set records .... No one on that side of the ball deserves a (huge) contract
Eat the money ... for 2 years .... draft good .... and you have a young hoss team ... with the cap money to buy that one guy to take you over the hump

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smith and Frederick for starters. I'd add Dez but I know there are some who will disagree.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a the Cowboys are getting closer to the right track lately. Some things I would do:

Keep JG.....and empower him. JG made a lot of mistakes early on, but he is a brilliant guy and a natural leader, his best work is yet to come.

Keep RM as DC. Great move by the club

Stay away from older, high priced free agents. To me, the best FA's are the younger guys who didn't get a shot with their former team because they switched from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and no longer fit their clubs scheme. Find young guys who fit what you do, and absolutely no longterm deals for anyone 30+

Keep drafting heavily on the defensive side of the ball. I hope I can post on here to Jerry and PDay that I was completely wrong about Lawrence and Hitchens. Regardless, they are defensive guys and the club should be applauded for going OL and D heavy in the draft

Keep a young QB on the roster. I don't count Weeden as young since he is nearly as old as Romo. Even if it's a 7th rounder, draft a young QB every year or two and start developing them for the future. By building a great OL and D, even an average QB can succeed. If you land a franchise gut with that, you have a dynasty

Make resigning your best young players priorities. TSmith and Dez must be resigned. No longterm deals for your own guys if they are over 30 either

Be patient, no matter how many posters on the Hoop rip your ass

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith and Frederick for starters. I'd add Dez but I know there are some who will disagree.

Agree. We have some talent for sure. In addition to those you pointed out Lee and Murray would be high on any NFL fans list and then we all have our individual guys we like. Can't put Martin in that group yet, but I can't wait to see him. One of My guys is Holloman. From the little I saw of this kid, including preseason, I think he has a bright future and think he starts before the year is out and likely week 1. Another guy who is still kind of an unknown that I am very high on is Crawford. I think he opens some eyes this year.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
. Another guy who is still kind of an unknown that I am very high on is Crawford. I think he opens some eyes this year.

Crawford is ( or isnt) the it factor this year ..... If he fits in Meltons spot This team goes ALONG WAY quick
Add Lawrence beside him ( didnt like the pick .... but gonna hope for the best)

O-line and D-line ....... all I can say is ..... finally

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. We have some talent for sure. In addition to those you pointed out Lee and Murray would be high on any NFL fans list and then we all have our individual guys we like. Can't put Martin in that group yet, but I can't wait to see him. One of My guys is Holloman. From the little I saw of this kid, including preseason, I think he has a bright future and think he starts before the year is out and likely week 1. Another guy who is still kind of an unknown that I am very high on is Crawford. I think he opens some eyes this year.

I like Murray and Crawford but if they were both traded in order to upgrade I won't lose sleep. Reasons are Murray is a RB = replaceable and Crawford is an unknown.

On 2nd though I'd want to keep Crawford for the same reason I'd want to keep Martin. I'd like to see what they are. I see great potential in both.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Murray and Crawford but if they were both traded in order to upgrade I won't lose sleep. Reasons are Murray is a RB = replaceable and Crawford is an unknown.

On 2nd though I'd want to keep Crawford for the same reason I'd want to keep Martin. I'd like to see what they are. I see great potential in both.

no offense .... but me personally I dont buy into the "any back" can do it

Something special about Murray ...... He just has to stay healthy to prove it ...... thats the biggest difference maker on our TEAM ....... Watch the tapes of how we play with him on the field and him off the field

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Trade Dez to the highest bidder in order to eliminate the distraction of signing him long-term and to set ourselves up nicely for next year's draft. Even without him we stay competitive within the division and we get a first rounder (and possibly more) for next year's draft.

2. Limit Romo to under 500 pass attempts.

3. Get Murray 300 touches.

4. Get Dunbar 100 touches.

5. The previous two are barring injury of course and they both go hand in hand with the defense and Romo. More RB touches means less throwing for Romo and more time of possession to keep defense off the field.

6. Move Carr to free safety and move Church to strong safety.

7. Cut Webb and Heath. I don't even wanna see them on this roster. (Maybe they prove me wrong and become good players but I highly doubt it.)

8. Unleash Beasley.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Trade Dez to the highest bidder in order to eliminate the distraction of signing him long-term and to set ourselves up nicely for next year's draft. Even without him we stay competitive within the division and we get a first rounder (and possibly more) for next year's draft.

2. Limit Romo to under 500 pass attempts.

3. Get Murray 300 touches.

4. Get Dunbar 100 touches.

5. The previous two are barring injury of course and they both go hand in hand with the defense and Romo. More RB touches means less throwing for Romo and more time of possession to keep defense off the field.

6. Move Carr to free safety and move Church to strong safety.

7. Cut Webb and Heath. I don't even wanna see them on this roster. (Maybe they prove me wrong and become good players but I highly doubt it.)

8. Unleash Beasley.

Even with his baggage, I love Dez. He still has some growing to do but he is a force to be reckoned with.
I bet that opposing teams spend more time prepping for Dez then any other player on our team. (maybe Romo is the exception) And in situations in and around the 20 yard line ...He is a nightmare to cover.

All that said, your right. His value in a trade would be a greater benefit to the team then anything he could do on the field.

Otis B. Driftwood

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with his baggage, I love Dez. He still has some growing to do but he is a force to be reckoned with.
I bet that opposing teams spend more time prepping for Dez then any other player on our team. (maybe Romo is the exception) And in situations in and around the 20 yard line ...He is a nightmare to cover.

All that said, your right. His value in a trade would be a greater benefit to the team then anything he could do on the field.

He is the one "X" factor on the team I can't make a good decision on. I love the kid. He has really grown up since all the bullshit surrounding his first two years. He seems to have taken on a more mature approach on and off the field. And - he's a fuckin' beast.

He is also an asset that could bring quality in return in a trade. I worry that as this team struggles to improve beyond 8-8 (a stretch), he could revert a little from a maturity standpoint. I don't mind a diva (hell - WR's are all divas) but a divisive diva is another issue.

I tend to agree about slapping the franchise tag on him and see where it goes.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch the tapes of how we play with him on the field and him off the field

Exactly. I've been trying to drill this point home for a couple of years now every time the topic comes up. We are a good running team with Murray in the game. This thought that a lot of people have that the Cowboys can't run the ball is not true. I know a lot of you guys have no use for resigning him (running backs really aren't getting big contracts nowadays), but my eyes tell me that we are a MUCH better team with him, than without him. The kid is a talent, we just need to use him more.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One solution is for the fans to boycott Jerrah world. Other than a ownership change the cowboys are stuck in a rut. Hitchens had a 7th round grade or even FA grade and we draft him in the 4th? Stevie is as dumb as his old man. I am holding on hope that the defense cn improve to average,which would mean the Cowboys would contend for the division.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my $5 opinion that's worth about .75 cents with inflation

1. Build through the draft and continue to draft the best player on the board when you draft we have 3 first rounder's on the OL now and we still need a G or RT depending on where you plug in Martin after this season it will be time to let Free go. On the D-line we have a lot of work to do keep drafting them big boys for the DL and find at least 2 that can rush the QB and get to him.

2. Find and keep a fullback for Murray to follow and commit to the run. Draft a young QB to groom every other year minimum and keep him on the 53 not the practice squad where he can be poached.

3. This 1 is tough but you have to move Lee from the mike position to the will and find a new MLB maybe that will help him stay healthy if not sadly its time to move on. Move Carr to FS and let Claiborne and Scandrick play the corners. And Make FS a draft priority in next years draft.

4 When Witten's contract is up its time to say goodbye to a true Dallas Cowboy. Carr's deal needs off the books after this year. Don't Reshuffle Romo's contract anymore it is time to eat the dead money.

5. Resign and lock up Smith. I agree with others thoughts on Dez franchise him for a year without his babysitters and see how it goes.

6 If possible send Larry Lacewell and Barry Switzer to the Antarctic for the 2 months before the Draft. Seriously get some good football people in to the help ADVISE the GM of the Cowboys even if they are in the background. Trust your scouts and if not get new scouts the Draft is the heart of a football team now.

7. Rinse Repeat on the draft and pushing dead money back on the credit card.

JMHO

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I've been trying to drill this point home for a couple of years now every time the topic comes up. We are a good running team with Murray in the game. This thought that a lot of people have that the Cowboys can't run the ball is not true. I know a lot of you guys have no use for resigning him (running backs really aren't getting big contracts nowadays), but my eyes tell me that we are a MUCH better team with him, than without him. The kid is a talent, we just need to use him more.

I totally agree. Murray is a complete back and he has heart. He should have been the opening day starter his rookie year. We need to resign him as he fits the offense really well. Very underrated player.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One solution is for the fans to boycott Jerrah world. Other than a ownership change the cowboys are stuck in a rut. Hitchens had a 7th round grade or even FA grade and we draft him in the 4th? Stevie is as dumb as his old man. I am holding on hope that the defense cn improve to average,which would mean the Cowboys would contend for the division.

7th round grade according to whom? Our scouts and coaches? If so, then Jerry should be castrated. If it's according to Kiper, fans or anyone else then it's irrelevant.