• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Take's NBA Mt. Rushmore

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No current player is on the Mt rush imo. Considerations would go to Duncan and Kobe as far as current players imo....but man when you got names like Russell,Kareem,Magic,MJ,Wilt,Oscar etc. floating around, it's just tough to put a current player there.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to clarify myself. Russell and Wilt were mentioned, but they stated it was a different time back then. I see the point. Oscar Robertson was mentioned of course. Kobe was mentioned, but not taken seriously. Smith mentioned Jerry West, but only to state how he wasnt deserving of the NBA logo and they should have changed it to Michael Jefferey Jordan (yes, he kept calling him by his full name and it was annoying). Even Duncan got a shout out. It just seemed like everybody who is anybody in the NBA got mentioned except for the Doctor. Just shocked that Dr.J could be overloooked in a conversation like this. Maybe i'm biased as i'm a Sixer fan, but still. Oh well.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he was in the ABA, you're right. However, when he went to the Sixers, he was teamed with George McGinnis, World B. Free (Lloyd Free at the time), Caldwell Jones, Henry Bibby, Daryl Dawkins, Mike Dunleavy and Doug Collins. Not exactly bereft of talent.

They went to the finals in Dr. J's first season.

Point taken. I still think the 80's Celtics and Lakers had way more talent and it took getting rid of Jones and Dawkins to win anything. Not a huge McGinnis fan either although my buddy is. I understand what your saying though. The team had talent and was favored, and should have beaten Portland at the time. With that being said, I still think that team pales in comparison to the Lakers and Celtics talent of the 80's, but maybe thats obvious.

Did the 83' Sixers with Toney, Cheeks, Jones, and Clint Richardson have more talent then that 77's Sixers team, or was Moses just that much of a factor? Sixerrs made the finals in 82' also without Moses, so maybe they were more talented. Just rambling and thinking of things.

Last edited by a moderator:

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Magic did stop he had gone to the NBA Finals 9 out of his 12 seasons, winning 5 of them. I know people like to say that his teams were stacked. It should be noted though that the Lakers hadn't been to the Finals for 6 seasons prior to Magic's rookie year.

:10:

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Magic did stop he had gone to the NBA Finals 9 out of his 12 seasons, winning 5 of them. I know people like to say that his teams were stacked. It should be noted though that the Lakers hadn't been to the Finals for 6 seasons prior to Magic's rookie year.

Wow, 6 whole seasons. Lol. I just find that funny. Some teams never make it there and the Lakers had a drought for 6 entire seasons. Did anybody jump ship due to being sick of the losing? :laugh3:

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar; Bill Russell; Magic/MJ/Bird; Wilt; Big O and Lebron. My Mt. Rushmore has the greatest 8 players ever, the only ones who on any given day have an argument for GOAT. You could also argue Naismith, Red Auerbach and Phil Jackson, heck, even David Stern deserve their names etched in the rock somewhere...

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many people realize Mt. Rushmore is still unfinished...

majoyenrac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic played with Kareem Abdul-Jabar (another arguably top 1-5 players to ever lace up) and James Worthy for much of his career....he had pretty stacked teams.

Magic's definitely in the discussion, but talking of the fact his teams went to the finals 9 of his first 12 years, doesn't mean it was all because of him.....esp considering who he played iwth.

Magic's in the discussion, but I think unfortunately because he stopped playing while in his prime, I'd give it to Timmy first.

Bird played with a helluva lot of talent too, but I'd argue Magic had a shade better supporting class, and well those 2 are pretty close as it is. If it was a top 10, there's no denying Magic gets in that list (probably 6th in my tally).

As for Kobe, he's been great, but I wouldn't say there's an argument to make him the best player ever and as such he can't be in the Mt Rushmore.... You can make best player ever arguments for:
Wilt
Jordan
Kareem
James
Larry
Magic
Duncan (even if he's boringly fundamental, his game is flawless and really hasn't slowed down)

Shaq shouldda been on here for his array of skills but he didn't seem to quite try as hard as he could have (and yet is a top 8-15 player of all time). Kobe's in the same ballpark as Shaq except (Kobe worked his ass off)

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I look at this totally different than nearly all of you.

IMO, a Mt Rushmore isn't about greatness.......it's about being unique, a prototype, a once in a generation type player. As such, I think Lebron will ONE day be there, as we've never seen anything like him before. I also think in 20 years we'll say the same thing about KD.

My Mt Rushmore is:

MJ
Kareem
Big O
Bird

One of a kind, generation defining players. I think LBJ and KD will be there. I think Shaq could be argued, as well as Malone and Barkely in particular. It's not everyday you see a power forward as short as Barkely completely dominate guys bigger than him nightly.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO, a Mt Rushmore isn't about greatness.......it's about being unique, a prototype, a once in a generation type player. As such, I think Lebron will ONE day be there, as we've never seen anything like him before. I also think in 20 years we'll say the same thing about KD.

My Mt Rushmore is:

MJ
Kareem
Big O
Bird

One of a kind, generation defining players. I think LBJ and KD will be there. I think Shaq could be argued, as well as Malone and Barkely in particular. It's not everyday you see a power forward as short as Barkely completely dominate guys bigger than him nightly.

Based on your criteria, there is a certain 6'9" point guard that seems to be missing.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on your criteria, there is a certain 6'9" point guard that seems to be missing.
I would also add a certain center that moved like a guard

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My Mt Rushmore is:

MJ
Kareem
Big O
Bird

Interesting take. You could make the argument for many players based on that criteria. Elgin (prototype for the Dr. J/Jordan types), Wilt (unique combination of size and athleticism the league never saw before), Magic (about as unique of a PG as you could find), Hakeem (center with guard footwork)....

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only because they didnt start tracking it til the 70's. Oscar Robertson is BY FAR the career leader in triple doubles. He probably has 3 times more than anyone else to ever play and Magic is my favorite player of all time. For me its. Kareem, Magic, MJ, Robertson if I go solely on who feel the actual best players were. You could make a case for 20 other guys INCLUDING Lebron right now.

Magic Johnson could do it all. One of the greatest NBA Finals performances came when Magic played Center against the Sixers because Kareem was out of the lineup. He lit them up & the Lakers WON the game & the Series. Robertson was a great player, but Magic was better.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic Johnson could do it all. One of the greatest NBA Finals performances came when Magic played Center against the Sixers because Kareem was out of the lineup. He lit them up & the Lakers WON the game & the Series. Robertson was a great player, but Magic was better.

I'm old enough that I have seen both, although to be fair, I saw Oscar towards the end of his prime vs. watching Magic's entire career.

It's close, damn close, but I give the edge to Magic.

And yes, it may very well be personal bias.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I hate First Take, but I was channel surfing and came up on it while they were talking about their NBA Mt. Rushmore. Evidently, Lebron James said he belonged on the Mt. Rushmore or something on those lines, so Stephen Smith agreed. He said it was Magic, Bird, Jordan, and James belonged. Bayless said it was Magic, Bird, Jordan, and Jabbar. Then the cross debating started between them. Smith criticized Bayless because Jabbar needed Magic for the majority of his success. Bayless countered with James not doing anything until he was paired with Wade, etc,,,. Of all the name dropping they did, not once did they mention Dr. J. A player who practically single handily kept the NBA afloat in the mid to late 70's when interest was at an all time low. A player who had nobody around him the majority of the time, but yet still took his team to the finals (of course he needed Moses before he landed one, but still). I guess my issue is that Magic and Bird are always mentioned and they were great, great players, but they both played on practical all-star teams. My point is that Smith and Bayless kept brining up Lebron and Jabbar needing the help, but not once did they mention all the help that Bird and Magic had during their careers. Maybe Julius doesn't belong on the Mt. Rushmore of the NBA, but to not even throw his name in the conversation is offensive. At least it reminded me that there was better television on elsewhere.

Sorry, rant over.

Mine is high-lighted above. James aint on it. Leflop can go suck a blow-pop.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take. You could make the argument for many players based on that criteria. Elgin (prototype for the Dr. J/Jordan types), Wilt (unique combination of size and athleticism the league never saw before), Magic (about as unique of a PG as you could find), Hakeem (center with guard footwork)....

Yeah....and it's hard as HELL narrowing it down to 4 players. But I think in the end that's easier than just throwing out 4 great players when history is LITTERED with great players.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never said Magic wastn better, although Im not usre he was. I simply said he wouldnt actually be the career leader in triple doubles. Big O probably went 6 or 7 years where he had 1 every 2 games.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my issue is that Magic and Bird are always mentioned and they were great, great players, but they both played on practical all-star teams.

They were All-Star teams because of Magic and Bird. Magic and Bird in their prime were the most fundamentally sound to have ever played the game of basketball. A basketball Mt. Rushmore without these two is laughable, as is one that wastes a spot on Bill Russell who is to the NBA what Cal Ripken is to MLB or Brett Favre is to the NFL.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said Magic wastn better, although Im not usre he was. I simply said he wouldnt actually be the career leader in triple doubles. Big O probably went 6 or 7 years where he had 1 every 2 games.

rmilia, I always appreciate how you give so much respect to the Big O when most don't even know who he is and there's no way to disagree with his greatness but unfortunately, no one, NO ONE is in the discussion to take Magic's place on Mt. Rushmore. He couldn't and didn't do what Magic did.