• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First Take's NBA Mt. Rushmore

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I hate First Take, but I was channel surfing and came up on it while they were talking about their NBA Mt. Rushmore. Evidently, Lebron James said he belonged on the Mt. Rushmore or something on those lines, so Stephen Smith agreed. He said it was Magic, Bird, Jordan, and James belonged. Bayless said it was Magic, Bird, Jordan, and Jabbar. Then the cross debating started between them. Smith criticized Bayless because Jabbar needed Magic for the majority of his success. Bayless countered with James not doing anything until he was paired with Wade, etc,,,. Of all the name dropping they did, not once did they mention Dr. J. A player who practically single handily kept the NBA afloat in the mid to late 70's when interest was at an all time low. A player who had nobody around him the majority of the time, but yet still took his team to the finals (of course he needed Moses before he landed one, but still). I guess my issue is that Magic and Bird are always mentioned and they were great, great players, but they both played on practical all-star teams. My point is that Smith and Bayless kept brining up Lebron and Jabbar needing the help, but not once did they mention all the help that Bird and Magic had during their careers. Maybe Julius doesn't belong on the Mt. Rushmore of the NBA, but to not even throw his name in the conversation is offensive. At least it reminded me that there was better television on elsewhere.

Sorry, rant over.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, I hate First Take, but I was channel surfing and came up on it while they were talking about their NBA Mt. Rushmore. Evidently, Lebron James said he belonged on the Mt. Rushmore or something on those lines, so Stephen Smith agreed. He said it was Magic, Bird, Jordan, and James belonged. Bayless said it was Magic, Bird, Jordan, and Jabbar. Then the cross debating started between them. Smith criticized Bayless because Jabbar needed Magic for the majority of his success. Bayless countered with James not doing anything until he was paired with Wade, etc,,,. Of all the name dropping they did, not once did they mention Dr. J. A player who practically single handily kept the NBA afloat in the mid to late 70's when interest was at an all time low. A player who had nobody around him the majority of the time, but yet still took his team to the finals (of course he needed Moses before he landed one, but still). I guess my issue is that Magic and Bird are always mentioned and they were great, great players, but they both played on practical all-star teams. My point is that Smith and Bayless kept brining up Lebron and Jabbar needing the help, but not once did they mention all the help that Bird and Magic had during their careers. Maybe Julius doesn't belong on the Mt. Rushmore of the NBA, but to not even throw his name in the conversation is offensive. At least it reminded me that there was better television on elsewhere.

Sorry, rant over.

Great points all around.

Every player to lead his team to multiple championships had help from another star. End of story. The first 50 nba championship teams averaged more than 3 hall of famers per team. That's crazy.

The closest you can get to a 1-star championship team is Rick Barry with the Warriors, Bill Walton with the Blazers, and Dennis Johnson with the sonics. But those were all 1-and-done teams, and they played in the late 70's when the league was light on stars.

Last edited by a moderator:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's very subjective. No mention of Russell or Wilt either?

There's been a lot of great players over the years, Dr. J being one of them. It does seem though that people forget just how good he was.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nba apparently didnt exist before 1980.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind Steven A. Smith because he actually has some sports knowledge but Skip Bayless is there to purely say idiotic shit to boost ratings. I remember when he actually said he would take Tim Tebow on his team over Aaron Rodgers.... are you kidding me?

Yes First Take sucks. Easily the worst show on ESPN.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually is should be

Dr. James Naismith
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Michael Jordan

But what do I know? These are the men who did the most for the sport.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind Steven A. Smith because he actually has some sports knowledge but Skip Bayless is there to purely say idiotic shit to boost ratings. I remember when he actually said he would take Tim Tebow on his team over Aaron Rodgers.... are you kidding me?

Skip might say some outrageous things, but he also say intelligent things. I love Skip and Smith, because these guys dont care about being political correct.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry, rant over.

When he was in the ABA, you're right. However, when he went to the Sixers, he was teamed with George McGinnis, World B. Free (Lloyd Free at the time), Caldwell Jones, Henry Bibby, Daryl Dawkins, Mike Dunleavy and Doug Collins. Not exactly bereft of talent.

They went to the finals in Dr. J's first season.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skip might say some outrageous things, but he also say the stupidest waterhole homer BS things in the history of being paid to say stupid shit to feed into those mentalities. I love Skip and Smith, because these guys dont care about being any kind of correct, greatest gimmick personalities ever, easily most famous in the sports world.

FIFY

:suds:

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No mention of Bill Russell? Even if you take away his 11 rings I think you gotta take into account what he did for civil rights. Naismith, Russell, Jordan, Larry/Magic would be on my Mt.Rushmore. Cant put Larry in without Magic and vice versa so just merge their face or whatever.

ThruTheEyesOfRuby

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a fair rant. Dr. J's Sixers were right there in the Eastern Conference finals or NBA finals for the first half of the 80s.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

smith only has knowledge on nba basketball and he is friends with too many people in the league to get an honest opinion from him.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are not putting any new presidents on mount rushmore, why new players? Wilt, Doc, Bird, Magic still made basketball what it is today.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
smith only has knowledge on nba basketball and he is friends with too many people in the league to get an honest opinion from him.

Are you serious? Smith is one of the most honest in sports media. He has proven that he will criticize you hard, friend or not.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? Smith is one of the most honest in sports media. He has proven that he will criticize you hard, friend or not.

I can't stand Disney & I rarely watch the show, but Smith is an honest guy. If there's one guy that turns my stomach when it comes to talking about the NBA it's Ahmad Rashad.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"so-and-so is a dear, dear friend of mine, BUT...."

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will put this in terms Hammerdown will enjoy...I think:

Mark Cuban>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Bill Russell>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ESPN>>>Smith>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>8 more pages of less than later>>>>>Bayless.