• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: First Round: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Washington Capitals

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Power Play has woken up of late, but the PK is still lukewarm. If I had to pick, I would say that is my biggest worry with the Jackets. Caps speed and grit will goad the Jackets into penalties. Moreso if Dubinsky is playing. Which I hope he isn't.

Is Vanek seeing time on pp unit 1 ?

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerabek has been great, and I think Kempney generally plays pretty well, but he's prone to BIG mistakes also. So is Djoos, but he also adds speed and better puck moving than the other options. +/- never tells the whole story, but Djoos is a +13 (first on the team) and Orpik is worst on the team.

I think you're right about what Trotz will actually do though.

I love Djoos and I think he's going to be a top 4 defenseman as soon as next season, but I don't think he's played well enough down the stretch to get into the lineup, especially against Columbus. His size (while paired up with Orpik) against a pretty heavy team could easily lead to dominating shifts against.

For what it's worth, my (realistic) ideal lineup is something close to this:

Ovechkin- Kuznetsov - #TopLineTom/#BigDickWilly
Burakovsky - Backstrom - Oshie
Vrana - Eller - Stephenson
Gersich - Beagle - DSP

Scratches being Connolly, Chaisson, Boyd.

Orlov - Niskanen
Kempney - Carlson
Orpik - Jarabek

Scratches being Djoos, Bowey

Grubauer
Hotlby

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Orpik isn't sitting unless he's injured, Trotz has made that much clear. I do think Jerebek masks Orpik's faults better than Djoos though. In fact, I think Kempney and Jerabek are the best deadline pickups that no one knows about.

It also wouldn't surprise me one bit if Trotz sits Vrana at some point this series because of Veteran Intangibles™.

I am okay with both these things. Can we get him to give Orlov a rest too?

Is Vanek seeing time on pp unit 1 ?

With Torts, there is no real PP1/PP2. He has been on a PP with Jenner and Wennberg and Werenski and Atkinson on the point from time to time. That will likely change once Foligno comes back and with Anderson coming back.

To follow on Ritari, here's what I hope the lineup is:
Panarin - Dubois - Atkinson
Jenner - Wennberg - Vanek
Bjorkstrand - Foligno - Anderson
Milano - Letestu - Calvert (But I think Dubsinky will get in here)

Dubinsky, Hannakeinen, Sedlak (if off IR), Broadhurst and Robinson as subs. I expect Dubi to be in to counter the grit of Wilson and Oshie. But when his stupid penalty costs us, I hope he sits for good.

Jones - Werenski
Murray - Nutivaara (Kukan here is Nuti isn't ready to go)
Cole - Savard

Leaves Kukan, Johnson, Chorney and Harrington as subs, and they can call up Carlsson.

Bob

It's nice to say the Jackets have depth for once. We've not been able to say that in the past.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately, I doubt that bottom 6 is anything close to what we see. Vrana scratched for Chaisson and DSP on the 3rd line? Sounds about right

There's nothing to totally love or hate about the wingers in the bottom 6. All have had their moments, all have gone long stretches producing nothing.

I do think that Vrana and Gersich can be difference makers and have a higher level of talent than the rest of the group and you have to give them chances to shine in the lineup each night.

Of the four left, I put Connolly and Stephenson above Chaisson and DSP, but I think we'll see all of them rotate in and out some on different nights.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got Penguins in 5 in this one unless Tom Wilson does something stupid. Then I got a Pens in five.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL Tonight: Playoff Predictions

I heart Kenny Daneyko.

He's dumb as a box of hammers, and this is less an endorsement than if it came from Melrose himself. But still. HEY DANO *fistbump*

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing to totally love or hate about the wingers in the bottom 6. All have had their moments, all have gone long stretches producing nothing.

I do think that Vrana and Gersich can be difference makers and have a higher level of talent than the rest of the group and you have to give them chances to shine in the lineup each night.

Of the four left, I put Connolly and Stephenson above Chaisson and DSP, but I think we'll see all of them rotate in and out some on different nights.

I kinda agree about the bottom 6 being interchangeable to an extent, but DSP shouldn't be anywhere but the 4th line. The fact he's spent significant time on OV's wing was ridiculous. He has brought Eller's production to a screeching halt ever since he was put on that line. He's a smart player and makes the correct (safe) play more often than not, but he has very little production to offer.

Play the speed. Vrana, Stephenson, and Gersich all have the speed to make a scoring chance out of very little.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got Penguins in 5 in this one unless Tom Wilson does something stupid. Then I got a Pens in five.

By rule, when Esls or 43 talk trash about Tommy, he has a great game his next outing. Expect a goal in game 1. Thanks, Esls!

I'm really impressed with everything Wilson has done this season. Still needs a little more discipline, but he's become a much better forward in every aspect of his game. His defense (and not just his hitting) has been impressive. His stickhandling jumped up another level this year.

He and Eller showed the most improvement from last season.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda agree about the bottom 6 being interchangeable to an extent, but DSP shouldn't be anywhere but the 4th line. The fact he's spent significant time on OV's wing was ridiculous. He has brought Eller's production to a screeching halt ever since he was put on that line. He's a smart player and makes the correct (safe) play more often than not, but he has very little production to offer.

Play the speed. Vrana, Stephenson, and Gersich all have the speed to make a scoring chance out of very little.

Totally agree with all of that.

Except the part about DSP being nowhere except the 4th line. I think in the stands is a great option for him. ;)

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By rule, when Esls or 43 talk trash about Tommy, he has a great game his next outing. Expect a goal in game 1. Thanks, Esls!

I'm really impressed with everything Wilson has done this season. Still needs a little more discipline, but he's become a much better forward in every aspect of his game. His defense (and not just his hitting) has been impressive. His stickhandling jumped up another level this year.

His skating has been the most impressive IMO. He's not hunting for hits and genuinely belongs on the top line, PK, and really should get a look on the 2nd PP unit.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tom Wilson is Mr. Game One - he'll definitely have a goal. I'd bet the cucumber farm on it.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His skating has been the most impressive IMO. He's not hunting for hits and genuinely belongs on the top line, PK, and really should get a look on the 2nd PP unit.

Oh yeah. Faster and much more agile.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing Fo-leen-no will be ready for game 1 - That's a big boost for CBJ.

Reactions: gob

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing Fo-leen-no will be ready for game 1 - That's a big boost for CBJ.

Yup. Jay Beagle seems likely for the Caps. That would be a big plus, too, especially on the PK.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe there is only one game between now and Sunday. Looong time to wait.

Flyers-Pens will be done with game 3 before the Jackets-Caps even start game 2!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Jay Beagle seems likely for the Caps. That would be a big plus, too, especially on the PK.

washington-capitals-logo-eagle-1024x773.jpg

You can't spell Beagle without eagle.