• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First look at the Bears offseason (mock free agents and full draft)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy is a special teams beast, but I am wondering if Sanborn is going to get a shot to earn a spot.
I'm guessing Cole was signed for STs, followed by LB depth in that order. On one hand it should be safe to say Sanborn will remain a starter, but then again he'll be a starter at the SAM, which is not a 3 down position by any stretch, hell not even a 2 down all that much for that matter. So it's already a demotion for him.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he have to play LB? If he is a beast on ST, maybe Flus has a new role for him somewhere else on D?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does he have to play LB? If he is a beast on ST, maybe Flus has a new role for him somewhere else on D?
Maybe on some plays, especially the more obvious passing plays they can sneak him closer to the line and have him rush the QB. He's too short and light for a true edge, but maybe finding a few plays here where they can mix him in both rushing the passer or sending him back into coverage. He's on the faster side of LB speed. All in all tho, I'm guessing he's going to be used way more often than not just on STs where he excels.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe on some plays, especially the more obvious passing plays they can sneak him closer to the line and have him rush the QB. He's too short and light for a true edge, but maybe finding a few plays here where they can mix him in both rushing the passer or sending him back into coverage. He's on the faster side of LB speed. All in all tho, I'm guessing he's going to be used way more often than not just on STs where he excels.
I really doubt it. It might work a few times, but then it will be like when Herbert was in the game, send the extra attacker because he cannot pick up the blitz and he is not the first option for the pass. Teams will zone in on what the guy is doing if he is on a play.

We need special team standouts, its a big part of the team, especially when it keeps your defensive starters off special teams because there is someone else out there who can tackle.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt it. It might work a few times, but then it will be like when Herbert was in the game, send the extra attacker because he cannot pick up the blitz and he is not the first option for the pass. Teams will zone in on what the guy is doing if he is on a play.

We need special team standouts, its a big part of the team, especially when it keeps your defensive starters off special teams because there is someone else out there who can tackle.
I have no problems using Cole a ton on just STs. But he is a backup LB, maybe at this point even the #1 backup, so it stands to reason that they're going to play him there on occasion. No harm in coming up with scenarios where he can be further utilized.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Edmunds has been tagged to line up at the WILL spot, which shouldn't come as any surprise.

The article references stat-by-stat comparisons between Smith and Edmunds during their respective careers:

Bears coach Matt Eberflus cited ball production as one reason the Bears’ contract numbers didn’t align with what Smith wanted to be paid. Smith, who played weak-side linebacker for Eberflus in 2022, had seven interceptions, 20 passes defended, 16½ sacks and a forced fumble over 4½ seasons in Chicago. Edmunds, who played middle linebacker in Buffalo, had five interceptions, 35 passes defended, 6½ sacks and two forced fumbles over five seasons with the Bills.

When asked about what made the 6-foot-5, 250-pound Edmunds a better fit for the Bears, Poles said, “The length, the speed, the coverage ability in terms of just the space that he covers. And Matt and his group think they can take him over the edge with some of the ball production.”

Now one could argue that Smith blows away Edmunds in the sacks department, but let's also keep in mind that almost undoubtedly Smith was sent in to pass rush a lot more than Edmunds. It's not that MIKEs never rush the passer, but rarely do they lead the LB crew in doing so. Edmunds should get more opportunities from his new spot.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I often include links with my posts due to the subject matter at hand and if nothing else, that they make for good, interesting reads. Then every so often I run across a detailed, fascinating article that I feel is a must-read. This is one of those:

Excellent breakdown and analysis as to the playmakers we've added/lost to this season's offense. Now if only we can fortify this damn OL.....

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I often include links with my posts due to the subject matter at hand and if nothing else, that they make for good, interesting reads. Then every so often I run across a detailed, fascinating article that I feel is a must-read. This is one of those:

Excellent breakdown and analysis as to the playmakers we've added/lost to this season's offense. Now if only we can fortify this damn OL.....
If our offense is “potentially going nuclear”, then KC has a Death Star and the infinity gauntlet with all the stones.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep an eye out on this potential late round/UDFA pick:

Definitely a project, but 9.92 RAS scores don't come around that often, especially for OL. This "superfreak" would most certainly be worth taking a late flyer on.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Bowl, here we come!!!!!!

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super Bowl, here we come!!!!!!

I saw this on reddit and one of the comments was "KING POLES DOES IT AGAIN!"

I love the internet.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still a bunch of unsigned FA Bears:

I figure with the combination of new free agent signings, the draft, and whoever we might sign from other team cuts down the road, my guess is most of these players are expendable. A couple of players I wouldn't mind seeing Poles re-sign are DeAndre Houston-Carson and Armon Watts. For Houston-Carson, I know he's kinda getting on in the years. He'll turn 30 in about a week and I get that Poles is continuing his efforts to make this team younger. But he's done a fairly stand up job at stepping in when needed. No harm in having some veteran leadership on the roster. Watts OTOH not only filled in adequately when his number was called, but he's still relatively young - he'll only be 27 when the season begins, which fits within Poles age target range. Plus we all know how thin the Bears are at DT as it stands.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears sign a hybrid DE/DT:

Doesn't really move the needle much, but he seems like a decent rotational plug-n-play on the DL.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not sure how this affects Poles as to whether or not he takes a receiver in the draft. My guess is it doesn't and that at least one, if not two will be taken, probably on day 3. The exception to this is if someone who was super high on his board manages to slip thru the cracks and he's there when Poles is on the clock.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how this affects Poles as to whether or not he takes a receiver in the draft. My guess is it doesn't and that at least one, if not two will be taken
i dont feel WR is a priority. He leveraged the #1 pick to include Moore, probably because no one in this draft (as a late pick) is any better. No point in drafting a guy who will be a healthy scratch most weeks.

Pettis may also be a ST resigning. He & Velus were the primary kick returners.
:2cents:

Bears have some nice targets in Kmet, Tonyan, Moore, Claypool, Mooney and ESB. A rookie WR wont move the needle imo.