• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First look at the Bears offseason (mock free agents and full draft)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So as has been ]previously mentioned in this thread, there's a possibility of AZ moving down from their #3 pick as well. This would be both positive or negative for the Bears, depending on how we view it.

The positive is simple. If the Cardinals, like the Bears trade down, it will be to a team also seeking a QB, meaning picks 1-3 are all QBs, which in turn leaves the door wide open for all other positional players. If our trade is with the Colts, that means we'd have the pick of the litter at #4. But even if we trade further back, that's still one extra non-QB sitting in the draft.

So what would be the negative? If a team trades with the Cards for a QB, that's 3 of the big 4 QBs already gone, not to mention one less potential trading partner for the Bears. Even sitting at the 4th spot resulting from the Indy trade, this reduces our chances of a second trade back that many fans, including this bad boy would otherwise like to see. Can't rule it out completely, but it would be more difficult.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we really dont need rb,but for some reason,I kinda like the thought of signing Saquon Barkley and let Montgomery walk........any thoughts??

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we really dont need rb,but for some reason,I kinda like the thought of signing Saquon Barkley and let Montgomery walk........any thoughts??
A bit torn on this. Pretty certain all would agree that Saquon would be a definite upgrade over Monty. Better runner and receiver. Not sure if he's a better blocker, but that's only ranked 3rd in terms of importance. I might have given Monty the edge in health, but Saquon seems to have fully recovered from his ACL injury back in '20, so that's a wash.

But the likely salaries are what gives me pause. There's a $5m difference in market value between the two, assuming of course both get signed for around their respective values. The gap could even grow larger depending on the demand Barkley might command. That difference would be worth at least one extra free agent signing. And we need help in so many places. Still, it kinda looks nice seeing the names Fields and Barkley lining up in the same backfield.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit torn on this. Pretty certain all would agree that Saquon would be a definite upgrade over Monty. Better runner and receiver. Not sure if he's a better blocker, but that's only ranked 3rd in terms of importance. I might have given Monty the edge in health, but Saquon seems to have fully recovered from his ACL injury back in '20, so that's a wash.

But the likely salaries are what gives me pause. There's a $5m difference in market value between the two, assuming of course both get signed for around their respective values. The gap could even grow larger depending on the demand Barkley might command. That difference would be worth at least one extra free agent signing. And we need help in so many places. Still, it kinda looks nice seeing the names Fields and Barkley lining up in the same backfield.

Between what DM and SB salary difference maybe about 5 mill more for Saquon than what it would take to retain David.......thats just a guess tho....

I think that would be nice upgrade for sure.....

Im really liking it more and more.......

Sign a top ot and Hargraves and/or Bradberry and another dlineman.....

And Id like to think we would be off to one helluva start for next season........

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between what DM and SB salary difference maybe about 5 mill more for Saquon than what it would take to retain David.......thats just a guess tho....

I think that would be nice upgrade for sure.....

Im really liking it more and more.......

Sign a top ot and Hargraves and/or Bradberry and another dlineman.....

And Id like to think we would be off to one helluva start for next season........
A lot of Bears fans might sneer at the thought of signing a 30 year old Hargrave, especially when we're all talking about the Bears continuing to get younger and building primarily thru the draft. But this guy is playing the best ball of his career and is considered one of the top players in free agency - actually listed as the #1 non-QB available on most FA lists now that Da'Ron Payne is off the board. I'd have zero, absolutely zero problems if Poles was to sign him.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No f-tag for ot Orlando Brown.......Sounds like Bear material to me.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saquon Barkley got tagged today by the Giants. He was being linked to the Bears quite a bit when it was originally believed that the Giants would let him walk and tag QB Jones instead. But they worked out a deal for him and were then able to tag Barkley. No sweat on my end, I think Barkley would have come with a ridiculous price tag. That money can be better spent on other needs such as......

Jawaan Taylor???? Turns out the Jags ended up tagging teammate TE Even Engram, leaving Taylor to hit the market. I'm still ok if we can sign either fellow RTs Mike McGlinchey or Kaleb McGary, neither of whom got tagged by their respective teams. However, Taylor is not only the youngest of the three, but is considered the best pass blocker amongst them as well. Yes, the Bears are a run-oriented team, but Fields needs as much protection as possible when setting up to toss that seed. So my first amongst equals is now Taylor, altho again I'd be happy as a fly on stink if Poles could ink any one of them.

Of course this is all assuming he doesn't go after LT Orlando Brown.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Orlando Brown hitting the market, we could greatly improve this oline before the draft. If we can sign Brown and McGlinchey, I think this oline starts to look very good on paper.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Orlando Brown hitting the market, we could greatly improve this oline before the draft. If we can sign Brown and McGlinchey, I think this oline starts to look very good on paper.
Don't see much of a chance that Poles signs two tackles. Maybe, hopefully a tackle and a guard. One thing's for certain. There's no excuse for Poles to NOT sign one of the FA tackles currently on the market.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I have to say I've not been thrilled the past couple of days with Poles, who IMO is talking a bit too much about what he expects to receive in capital from trading back. I get that he's doing his thang in terms of drumming up interest amongst the potential trading partners, perhaps even playing one against another. That part I understand and even like. But I read somewhere that he expects no less than a '24 and '25 1st round. It's possible that a GM from a team wanting to trade up has already mentioned this or it could be his latest version of a rope-a-dope. But I'd just as soon him not talk specific numbers openly. To me it comes across as cocky, which could blow up in his face if all does not go as he predicts.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I have to say I've not been thrilled the past couple of days with Poles, who IMO is talking a bit too much about what he expects to receive in capital from trading back. I get that he's doing his thang in terms of drumming up interest amongst the potential trading partners, perhaps even playing one against another. That part I understand and even like. But I read somewhere that he expects no less than a '24 and '25 1st round. It's possible that a GM from a team wanting to trade up has already mentioned this or it could be his latest version of a rope-a-dope. But I'd just as soon him not talk specific numbers openly. To me it comes across as cocky, which could blow up in his face if all does not go as he predicts.

I thought this yesterday when I read what he expected for the first pick......He needs to let them come to him.......

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about the ideal wish list:

One thing I really like is it calls for signing two players each on both sides of the trenches, as well as a LB and CB, which is pretty much my dream scenario. If I had to be super nitpicky, I might substitute wanting a guard, such as Ben Powers over center Ethan Pocic, but believe me this is otherwise a fantastic FA lineup. Now if only Poles would go for it.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about the ideal wish list:

One thing I really like is it calls for signing two players each on both sides of the trenches, as well as a LB and CB, which is pretty much my dream scenario. If I had to be super nitpicky, I might substitute wanting a guard, such as Ben Powers over center Ethan Pocic, but believe me this is otherwise a fantastic FA lineup. Now if only Poles would go for it.
When I said above that this was an ideal wish list, the ideal part was more regarding the number of top signings as opposed to the players mentioned, altho that is a helluva list. But as I continue to mull over all the shit out there on who Poles might sign, should sign, or how much he plans to spend, I've become more convinced by the day that six high end/starter signings leans more to the pipe dream side of the equation than it does to the reality side. Not saying it couldn't happen in theory, but actually? I doubt it. I stated a while back in this thread that I'd be happy with even four such signings, but I'm wondering if it will even be that many.

Again, I believe Poles will eventually sign a bunch of free agents in the coming weeks, but the batch will also include role players, perhaps spot starters at best. And they will make up the majority of these signings. I'll also continue to hope Poles, assuming he does ink only so many front line free agents, that he at least prioritizes the trenches. We need help everywhere, but it's the two lines that require the greatest injection of talent.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I said above that this was an ideal wish list, the ideal part was more regarding the number of top signings as opposed to the players mentioned, altho that is a helluva list. But as I continue to mull over all the shit out there on who Poles might sign, should sign, or how much he plans to spend, I've become more convinced by the day that six high end/starter signings leans more to the pipe dream side of the equation than it does to the reality side. Not saying it couldn't happen in theory, but actually? I doubt it. I stated a while back in this thread that I'd be happy with even four such signings, but I'm wondering if it will even be that many.

Again, I believe Poles will eventually sign a bunch of free agents in the coming weeks, but the batch will also include role players, perhaps spot starters at best. And they will make up the majority of these signings. I'll also continue to hope Poles, assuming he does ink only so many front line free agents, that he at least prioritizes the trenches. We need help everywhere, but it's the two lines that require the greatest injection of talent.

Im thinking two big signings,with two mid tier........

As long as one of them is a top olineman,and then the other 3 on def,Ill be a happy camper....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on everything I'm reading, watching, hearing of late concerning the Bears just as this week's free agency period commences, I continue to shrink my hopes as to how many impact players Poles will sign. And by impact, I mean a player who immediately steps in as a starter. Back in the days following the conclusion of the '22 regular season, I thought 6 impact signings were on the agenda. Of course back then the cap space for the Bears was listed in the $115m to $130m+ neighborhood. Naturally the greater cap space would have allowed for more big name signings.

Eventually, the number was recalculated and shrunk to the $95m - $100m range. Still a lot, but maybe one or two fewer signings. And since the Panthers trade, we're now looking at somewhere around $75m, mainly due to the absorption of DJ Moore's salary. We still lead the league in cap space, but the gap has closed by a lot. I think Atlanta is super close behind now. We can regain an additional $10m after June 1st, assuming the Bears cut Cody Whitehair then as expected. I'm thinking or at least hoping that Poles already has this factored in.

So where does that leave us? My newest guess is three impact signings at the max. But who and at which positions gets the ink? I would hope all three would cover the trenches, either two OL and a DL or vice versa. But a lot of talk out there has us taking LB Bobby Okereke. If true, that leaves us perhaps only one on either side of the line. An OT and a DT or DE??? This is going to be one interesting week.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on everything I'm reading, watching, hearing of late concerning the Bears just as this week's free agency period commences, I continue to shrink my hopes as to how many impact players Poles will sign. And by impact, I mean a player who immediately steps in as a starter. Back in the days following the conclusion of the '22 regular season, I thought 6 impact signings were on the agenda. Of course back then the cap space for the Bears was listed in the $115m to $130m+ neighborhood. Naturally the greater cap space would have allowed for more big name signings.

Eventually, the number was recalculated and shrunk to the $95m - $100m range. Still a lot, but maybe one or two fewer signings. And since the Panthers trade, we're now looking at somewhere around $75m, mainly due to the absorption of DJ Moore's salary. We still lead the league in cap space, but the gap has closed by a lot. I think Atlanta is super close behind now. We can regain an additional $10m after June 1st, assuming the Bears cut Cody Whitehair then as expected. I'm thinking or at least hoping that Poles already has this factored in.

So where does that leave us? My newest guess is three impact signings at the max. But who and at which positions gets the ink? I would hope all three would cover the trenches, either two OL and a DL or vice versa. But a lot of talk out there has us taking LB Bobby Okereke. If true, that leaves us perhaps only one on either side of the line. An OT and a DT or DE??? This is going to be one interesting week.

Yes it is gonna be interesting........Im pumped.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who thought maybe following his tag season, we can go after Payne in '24:

'spensive contract and chances are he would have cost even more next year. Would have been an excellent signing tho. Oh well.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its just about freeagent frenzy time.......teams can contact agents about players in 30 mins.

Its reporting Bears will be big players on Eberflusses defense.......Bears still have over 80 mill yet to spend........expect them to start off big.......

Ya I know,wd all expect that anyways......js