• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First look at the Bears offseason (mock free agents and full draft)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The eight positions and the potential players for each that I've listed over the last few days not only contain possible FA signings, but also stepping in as starters to boot. Doesn't mean there will be eight signings, but at least the possibilities exist for each. The remaining spots on the team are either set or maybe a backup signing here or there. A couple of possible exceptions to this, so here goes:

QB: Has anyone seen the list of QBs scheduled to be free agents this year? OMG, it's huge. Of course many will be seeking a deal which either makes them the starter or competes for such. But there are also a boatload of journeymen who would likely accept a backup role. I don't know about anyone else, but Trevor Semien, who's signed for another year, really doesn't cut it for me as a backup. We hope that Fields will be healthy all next season, but we all know there's a possibility he could miss some time. The guy I have in mind, assuming Poles can ditch Semien, is Jacoby Brissett. He brings solid experience and competence to the position.

RB: A month ago I was tracking some of the leading backs who are FA candidates this season, but that was when just about everyone was saying Monty was a sure goner. Now all of a sudden it's looking more and more like he could return to the club. Of course if he leaves, we may have to revisit this position, but assuming he returns, we're good here.

FB: Think we're fine with Khari Blasingame at the spot, assuming Poles re-signs him, which seems likely.

TE: I know a lot of guys aren't fully sold on Cole Kmet, but I feel he progressed enough last year to warrant another season as our #1 TE. I don't see Poles throwing any serious $$ at an available TE.

FS/SS: At most Poles fortifies these two spots with players from a team's cut list or the draft.

K: There's a crack in the Cairos Santos wall. The man who couldn't seem to miss in '21 did shank a few last season. Don't see any real competition, but Poles may bring in a kicker or two just for comparison's sake.

P: We're good here with Trenton Gill, who was solid, if not spectacular in his rookie campaign.

LS: Patrick Scales is as safe as anyone on the roster.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a Q&A article from the Trib:

One of the more interesting takes here is the writer's not-so-high opinion on DE Yannick Ngakoue, particularly his supposed lack of run stopping qualities. His tackling stats don't blow you away, but it's not like they outright suck either. Guess we'll find out in the coming months whether or not Poles has him on his radar.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on my various FA target lists, here are four FA players to watch in today's games:

SF: RT Mike McGlinchey
Phil: DT Javon Hargrave
Phil: CB James Bradberry
KC: WR JuJu Smith-Schuster

Of course, there are a whole bunch of other FAs playing in these games, but these were the only four I had listed as potential signing targets.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing how many free agents I referenced on my wish lists are considered essential for their respective teams to retain:

It was always unrealistic expecting every free agent to actually hit the open market this Spring, but it'll be crazy if the majority of these teams are able to one way or another hold onto those key players.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently Getsy has an eye on this OLB:

His profile and analysis read like that of a Day 3 selection, which is fine, as there's no harm in finding potential gems in the later rounds. And we all know we're pretty thin in our LB corps. Now let's see if Getsy finds someone on the O side of the ball that would be a good fit for our team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article projecting the salaries of many key FAs that the Bears might target, almost all of whom are on my various lists:

I'll say this much, based on my research from other sites also projecting salaries, the numbers listed here are a lot higher. So I have no idea what actual numbers are the most accurate. A number of these seem too high or if they're accurate, Poles sure as hell won't be signing as many.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an offseason mock free agent/draft write up that addresses a shitload of needs....but there's also a catch:

Of course that catch is the trade with the Titans takes us out of the top 10, which for many people, including me to a point, makes this a savage no-no.

However, there's also a lot to like about this scenario, namely in the free agents we sign and the college kids we draft, not to mention picking up DT Jefferey Simmons in the trade back with the Titans. The scenario presented here is not perfect - name one that is. I mean, if we did receive Simmons as part of the Titans trade, do we really need to sign Poona Ford as well? I'd rather see Poles pony up some extra cabbage and try for a CB like Jamel Dean or Cam Sutton. And what about a center? Some of the draft picks might be a bit more wishful thinking in terms of where we land them. I'm specifically referring to Peter Skoronski lasting until #11, Jayden Reed, hanging around till #64, and especially Tyjae Spears still available at #134. Yeah, Spears is a bit on the smallish side, but not too much. The kid plays really fast and cuts like a mofo, plus his stock has been rising since his practices during Senior Bowl week. I don't see him making it out of the 3rd round, but if he was there for us in the 4th, by all means grab him.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Lake Shore Drive

Back to the conversation of how much cap money we have to spend,I read this morning its 90% of THIS years money that we DO have to spend.......
And contracts can be front loaded to save cap for the following season.....

One has to think thats gonna be some hi-end freeagents.......
Better be quality over quanity......

Where I read that at was the 3 named most likley cap cadualties for the Chargers(Allen-Mack and forgot the last guys name).......

Allen would be interesting..........

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Lake Shore Drive

Back to the conversation of how much cap money we have to spend,I read this morning its 90% of THIS years money that we DO have to spend.......
And contracts can be front loaded to save cap for the following season.....

One has to think thats gonna be some hi-end freeagents.......
Better be quality over quanity......

Where I read that at was the 3 named most likley cap cadualties for the Chargers(Allen-Mack and forgot the last guys name).......

Allen would be interesting..........
I've read something similar regarding the required cap spending, but it's never consistent and always confusing. So when it all boils down I have no idea as to how much exactly the Bears will spend this offseason. The other line I bolded in which I wholeheartedly agree is I'd prefer Poles to sign fewer free agents if it results in acquiring top tier level players. Nothing against a lesser contract here or there for positional depth, but his focus should be on inking players who will be starters.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that this snooze fest of a Super Bowl is finally over (nyuck nyuck), we can move on to the subject that really matters: Da Bearsssss and how they're going to handle the offseason.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this linked article WCG lists the positions by need for the Bears, ranking from least needed to most:

For the most part, the rankings fall in line with what most observers feel are the Bears positional needs in order. It also provides suggested targets in free agency and the draft as well. Some might say ranking WR as 5th might not be giving this spot enough importance, but I'm sure it's based on who we already have on the roster coupled with the talent level of who's available in free agency and the draft. I'm continuing to stick with DT being our single biggest need by position, altho I understand why WCG lists DE/Edge as our top priority.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you guys be in on this suggested trade scenario and subsequent Bears draft pick?

I know I would, altho it would have to be contingent on Burns agreeing to an extension prior to completing the deal. He'll be a FA in '24, so I'm not keen on possibly giving up an extra high end pick or two for a rental. And perhaps to sweeten the trade just a bit, have the Panthers throw in a '24 later round pick as well.

Of course it would have to take place prior to the draft in order to give the Bears & Burns sufficient time to work out the extension. No way should Poles agree to this while the Bears are on the clock.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest update predicting how the Bears will handle their own UFAs:

For the most part, I like and agree with most of these outcomes. Of course the biggest either/or is whether Poles re-signs Monty. If he does let him walk does this mean he went after one of the other available RBs? I'm guessing no, being the crop of runners coming into the draft, while containing no blue chippers aside from Bijan Robinson, nonetheless contains some talent that would be ready for selecting well into the mid-late rounds. I did predict a ways back that if Monty walks and the Bears don't sign a starting veteran, it might result in having to take one by the 3rd round. But that's all conjecture at this point.

My other main observation here (and this one's for Jiddy) is do we HAVE to keep Mustipher???????? I mean, between free agency and the draft, you telling me we couldn't find a capable replacement for the center position, even as a backup? Seriously.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As related to the Bears this offseason, everything you wanted to know about tagging, but were afraid to ask:

Cutting to the chase for those who don't feel like reading the article, here are the respective tag amounts per position:

QB: $32.4 million
RB: $10.1 million
WR: $19.7 million
TE: $11.3
OL: $18.2
DE: $19.7
DT: $18.9
LB: $20.9
CB: $18.1
S: $14.4
K/P: $5.3

Amazing that just a couple generations or so back, RB was probably second only to QB as far as salary per position. Now it's only above the K/P spot. How the mighty have fallen. But what's even more surprising is that LB currently ranks second. Wouldn't have guessed this in a million years.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As related to the Bears this offseason, everything you wanted to know about tagging, but were afraid to ask:

Cutting to the chase for those who don't feel like reading the article, here are the respective tag amounts per position:

QB: $32.4 million
RB: $10.1 million
WR: $19.7 million
TE: $11.3
OL: $18.2
DE: $19.7
DT: $18.9
LB: $20.9
CB: $18.1
S: $14.4
K/P: $5.3

Amazing that just a couple generations or so back, RB was probably second only to QB as far as salary per position. Now it's only above the K/P spot. How the mighty have fallen. But what's even more surprising is that LB currently ranks second. Wouldn't have guessed this in a million years.

Brian Urlacher changed our entire Franchise for a decade. Without him, we're a mediocre to average team at best for 3 decades now. I'd franchise tag a player like him into eternity with zero regrets. (Well, just pay him a good contract...but I'm just spitting hyperbole)

I don't view Roquan Smith as anywhere near Urlacher, so I kind of let it go when we traded him. I chalked it up to rebuild with less concern than I normally would...but I do have some skepticism and feel that we better make some moves for real impact players after what we did this past year. If we don't, it could get ugly from a fan perspective.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brian Urlacher changed our entire Franchise for a decade. Without him, we're a mediocre to average team at best for 3 decades now. I'd franchise tag a player like him into eternity with zero regrets. (Well, just pay him a good contract...but I'm just spitting hyperbole)

I don't view Roquan Smith as anywhere near Urlacher, so I kind of let it go when we traded him. I chalked it up to rebuild with less concern than I normally would...but I do have some skepticism and feel that we better make some moves for real impact players after what we did this past year. If we don't, it could get ugly from a fan perspective.
Couldn't agree more. I previously stated that Poles should sign a minimum of 4 FAs who will be instant starters and to your very words, real impact players. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want more, but at least 4 of them will do wonders for our team.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do these 8 suggested moves guarantee a 'transformational' offseason for the Bears?

Some good, even "duh" takes here. No mention of a wishful Daron Payne signing, but that's due to the inevitable tag the Commanders will undoubtedly place on him. Dre'Mont Jones is appearing more and more by the day to be a likely alternative. I didn't have Rock Ya-Sin on my initial CB radar, but I'd have no problems with Poles inking him. Yes, the Bears need to sign at least two OL (there's our duh). I'm down with Powers for the guard spot, not quite as thrilled with McGlinchey for RT, altho he's without question better than anyone on the current roster. I remain skeptical of signing Michael Thomas once the Saints release him in June. He'd have to pass with flying colors every football-related physical known to mankind before Poles considers throwing $10-12m at him. I think he's better suited for a team really close to advancing deep in the playoffs and are willing to take a flier on him.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So do these 8 suggested moves guarantee a 'transformational' offseason for the Bears?

Some good, even "duh" takes here. No mention of a wishful Daron Payne signing, but that's due to the inevitable tag the Commanders will undoubtedly place on him. Dre'Mont Jones is appearing more and more by the day to be a likely alternative. I didn't have Rock Ya-Sin on my initial CB radar, but I'd have no problems with Poles inking him. Yes, the Bears need to sign at least two OL (there's our duh). I'm down with Powers for the guard spot, not quite as thrilled with McGlinchey for RT, altho he's without question better than anyone on the current roster. I remain skeptical of signing Michael Thomas once the Saints release him in June. He'd have to pass with flying colors every football-related physical known to mankind before Poles considers throwing $10-12m at him. I think he's better suited for a team really close to advancing deep in the playoffs and are willing to take a flier on him.

Im not interested in Michael Thomas nor DHop,but the guy that would be interesting would be interesting is Odell Beckham..........
I never really liked the guy,but mainly cause of cockiness,but he can fllat out play.

Anyone with thoughts on him......??