• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First look at the Bears offseason (mock free agents and full draft)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This link concentrates on the O side of the ball in free agency. A lot to like here:

The more I've been reading up on RT Kaleb McGary, the more I'm wanting Poles to aggressively pursue him. And to a lesser extent, the same with Ethan Pocic. I feel we're in desperate need of a bonifide veteran center, who's still young enough to give us years of performance. I'm fine if we can land either JuJu Smith-Shuster or Jakobi Meyers. Tony Pollard would make for a good signing, assuming we don't re-up Montgomery.

Honestly, even if we came away with 3 of these players, I'd be happy as a fly on stink. Remember, there's the even more important defense side of the equation. Poles has a shitload of cap this offseason, but it's not like he can or necessarily should go ballistic.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here's the link on the D side of the ball as far as targeting key players in free agency:

What's not to like about acquiring Payne. He remains my top target in free agency, but again I continue to think that the Commanders will either re-sign him or more likely tag him. Hopefully not. Fortunately, there are alternatives at the DT spot if he does come off the board, such as Javon Hargrave or the more affordable Dre'Mont Jones. I'm liking the possibility of inking Yannick Ngakoue. He's been on my radar for a while now.

And while there isn't much discussion about the secondary, I'm 100% for signing a CB. Jamel Dean fits the bill nicely, or if he's gone, keep an eye out for James Bradberry. A bit older when we're talking rebuild, but the man is playing at a super high level.

The problem at LB, if you want to refer to it it such, is the top available names are all MIKEs. Does this mean we'd move Sanborn over to WILL - could he handle that? I'd hate to slide him over to the SAM spot, being this position is pretty much part time at best in this day and age.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we have seen a number of articles listing the top 10, top 20, top 50, etc free agents, some specifically tailored to the Bears needs. For this particular post, I'm ranking our top 10 needs by position vs obtaining a specific player, and see if you agree or if not, how you would rank them. I'm also going to apply a weighted value relative to the other positions to emphasize such needs, which I'll show in ( ).

1. DT (10)
2. OT (8.5)
3. DE (8)
4. OG (7)
5. WR (6.5)
5. C (6.5)
5. CB (6.5)
8. LB (5)
9. TE (2.5)
10. S (2)

As you can see, my top 4 needs are all in the trenches, and even #5 shares another OL spot. To me, without question, our single biggest need is signing a DT. This should be Job One for Poles.

I have a three way tie for the #5 positional need. Under perfect conditions WR would be given greater weight, but there's no real standout in this year's batch. Yes, Poles will likely sign at least one of them, but no single receiver screams 'must sign'. I'd actually like to see us land a CB, preferably one who primarily plays outside so that we can slide Kyler Gordon over to the slot.

LB should also be ranked with greater emphasis, but it appears that the best available this offseason are all MIKEs. Not sure if Poles wants to sign one of them and move Sanborn over.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of sheer boredom and with a sad envy knowing our team is not remotely connected to the playoffs, which I have to say have already featured some really good games with more to follow, I thought I might as well waste everyone's time by putting together my initial list of players that I'd like to see the Bears sign, assuming they'll be available at the time. I'll work it in the order of positional importance listed above, dedicating a separate post per position. BTW, not gonna bother with the bottom two spots, TE & S. So let's start with my view that DT ranks as our top need.

1. Da'Ron Payne, 25 - Washington Commanders
What's there to say, based on his position, performance, and age, he's probably the most sought after player in free agency not called a QB. His numbers are already elite and many feel he's just beginning to reach his peak. I've said numerous times now I think the Commanders will either find a way to extend him or at least tag him. But if they can't do either, Poles must use that massive cap space advantage to outbid all other teams.

2. Dalvin Tomlinson, 28 - Minnesota Vikings
An added benefit of addition by subtraction if we were to ink Tomlinson. Nothing like snagging someone from a divisional rival. Dude is a stud at stopping the run, something at which our DTs blew chunks this season. Not much of a sack artist, but his ability to get in the backfield and blow up plays makes him a worthy candidate if Payne is out of the question.

3. Javon Hargrave, 29 - Philadelphia Eagles
If it wasn't for his age, it could easily be argued that Hargrave would be the top available DT. To put it more succinctly, PFF has him listed as the 4th highest ranked FA this year and the highest ranked non-QB - yes well ahead of both Payne and Tomlinson. The man's a beast, plain and simple. 18.5 sacks the past two seasons alone, including 11 this year. Any one of these three would suit me just fine. But make no mistake, Poles has to sign one, there's no getting around this.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Out of sheer boredom and with a sad envy knowing our team is not remotely connected to the playoffs, which I have to say have already featured some really good games with more to follow, I thought I might as well waste everyone's time by putting together my initial list of players that I'd like to see the Bears sign, assuming they'll be available at the time. I'll work it in the order of positional importance listed above, dedicating a separate post per position. BTW, not gonna bother with the bottom two spots, TE & S. So let's start with my view that DT ranks as our top need.

1. Da'Ron Payne, 25 - Washington Commanders
What's there to say, based on his position, performance, and age, he's probably the most sought after player in free agency not called a QB. His numbers are already elite and many feel he's just beginning to reach his peak. I've said numerous times now I think the Commanders will either find a way to extend him or at least tag him. But if they can't do either, Poles must use that massive cap space advantage to outbid all other teams.

2. Dalvin Tomlinson, 28 - Minnesota Vikings
An added benefit of addition by subtraction if we were to ink Tomlinson. Nothing like snagging someone from a divisional rival. Dude is a stud at stopping the run, something at which our DTs blew chunks this season. Not much of a sack artist, but his ability to get in the backfield and blow up plays makes him a worthy candidate if Payne is out of the question.

3. Javon Hargrave, 29 - Philadelphia Eagles
If it wasn't for his age, it could easily be argued that Hargrave would be the top available DT. To put it more succinctly, PFF has him listed as the 4th highest ranked FA this year and the highest ranked non-QB - yes well ahead of both Payne and Tomlinson. The man's a beast, plain and simple. 18.5 sacks the past two seasons alone, including 11 this year. Any one of these three would suit me just fine. But make no mistake, Poles has to sign one, there's no getting around this.

Im liking Payne and Hargrave myself.......

I tend to think anyone and everyone that can wants to stay as far the hell away as they can from Washington.....Snyder just rings failure,not too mention a messed up name as the Commamders.....

And Hargrave,is he gonna be 30 next season.....??.....even if so,sign him if all possible.....11 sacks last season is damn good......better than the going downhill Kahlil Mack we had and would cost a ton less......

If you got the money and need to spend it,a 3 yr contract would be as much as long as Id give tho.....

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There just needs to be a plan. There are two kind of free agents, those that go for the money and those who have money and are now chasing rings. If they are all in on Payne, then get him, and stay away from Carter the end of April. If they are all in on Carter, then why spend on Payne. Payne and draft Anderson with a plan on utilizing a 3-4LB in a 4-3 good. Anderson and making him put on 30 pounds, no.

I really wish the dates were switched and the draft happened first and you get what you are missing after, but I guess they want to give the millionaires an extra month to find their next mansion.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There just needs to be a plan. There are two kind of free agents, those that go for the money and those who have money and are now chasing rings. If they are all in on Payne, then get him, and stay away from Carter the end of April. If they are all in on Carter, then why spend on Payne. Payne and draft Anderson with a plan on utilizing a 3-4LB in a 4-3 good. Anderson and making him put on 30 pounds, no.

I really wish the dates were switched and the draft happened first and you get what you are missing after, but I guess they want to give the millionaires an extra month to find their next mansion.

How does one even come to give a sh*t about this? Switching teams is usually a pretty major life move if you have family/children regardless if you are rich...NFL players are, you know, people with lives, homes and families too. Why would anyone care if they have extra time to prepare?

You bark up a lot of strange trees justa...

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does one even come to give a sh*t about this? Switching teams is usually a pretty major life move if you have family/children regardless if you are rich...NFL players are, you know, people with lives, homes and families too. Why would anyone care if they have extra time to prepare?

You bark up a lot of strange trees justa...
Draft what you need, if you cannot get them, you get them as a free agent.

Yeah, its a strange tree, some might think its thinking outside the box.

If I did not do it, the douche would be fighting with the rest of you.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some might think its thinking outside the box.

Some might think it’s just dumb. I’m some.
If I did not do it, the douche would be fighting with the rest of you.

What a hero. I didn’t realize your stupidity and fear of crossdressers was all to attract my ire towards you and away from others. You’re a martyr now. That’s cool.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some might think it’s just dumb. I’m some.

What a hero. I didn’t realize your stupidity and fear of crossdressers was all to attract my ire towards you and away from others. You’re a martyr now. That’s cool.
I don't care if you are a cross dresser.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, let's move on to what I feel is the 2nd most important position and that's OT, altho many Bears fans might think this should be #1. Rightly or wrongly, I'm focusing on Poles obtaining only a RT for three reasons. 1. There are more quality RTs available than LTs in this year's pool. 2. LTs are more expensive on average. 3. I believe Braxton Jones played well enough to earn another crack at the position. So up front I'm saying no way Jose to us going after Orlando Jones, considered the #1 FA OT this year, who's expected to garner anywhere from a $22-$24m avg contract. Fuuuuck that. But here's who I do like:

1. Kaleb McGary, 27, Atlanta Falcons
Interestingly, despite this being his best season, the Falcons declined McGary's 5th year option, yet there have been reports that they still might end up offering him an extension. The Falcs have the 2nd highest cap space for '23, so they probably have the room to extend him. PFF had him ranked as the 2nd best run blocking RT in the league last season, while his pass blocking continues on the upswing. Plus he's still young enough to warrant a longer term contract.

2. Jawaan Taylor, 25, Jacksonville Jaguars
Here's a young man whose strength at this point in his career is pass blocking, so coupled with his age and skill level, one can see an argument for Poles making Taylor his first choice. Almost 1100 snaps and allowing just 5 sacks and 7 penalties. If Poles needs to stretch the budget a bit, Taylor's expected market value should come in around $6-8m per year, give or take, which could turn out to be a relative bargain. The Jags could always extend or tag him, but their cap situation is in the red at the present, so $$$ could end up being a big factor.

3. Mike McGlinchey, 28, San Francisco 49ers
Probably the best known RT available this year, McGlinchey is probably the most balanced of the three names in terms of all around skillset. Coming off an injured '21, he played just about every snap this season. He was responsible for 6 sacks, but when you factor in him taking over 1,000 snaps, that's not such a bad rate. From a salary standpoint, he should fit in between the pricier McGary and the cheaper Taylor.

All in all, I'd be happy with any one of these guys. Taylor might give the most bang for the buck while doing so at the youngest age. Again, like DT, this is a a must-sign position for Poles. Don't know if it will be any of these three - hopefully one of them - but Poles without question has to sign an OT in this free agency.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We move onto the #3 ranked position of importance, which is DE/Edge. Poles needs to sign someone with experience who can get after the QB, yet still handle the run as needed. Fortunately, there are several who can fill the bill:

1. Yannick Ngakoue, 27, Indianapolis Colts
Playing on a fairly shitty team, yet has provided us these numbers over the past two seasons: 19.5 sacks, 27 pressures, 10 hurries and five QB knockdowns. while only missing 9.4% of tackles. Of course add the benefit of having played for Flus can't be anything but helpful. Ngakoue won't come cheap, but he should be the main DE/Edge target for Poles to pursue.

2. Dre'Mont Jones, 26, Denver Broncos
Big (6'3/281) DE who can also cover inside when the situation dictates. Hardly a sack machine, only averaging 6 the past three seasons, he nonetheless has had very nice QB pressure numbers, 138 in total for his brief 4 year career. Shouldn't be too expensive if Poles wants to obtain quality at a manageable rate.

3. Zach Allen, 25, Arizona Cardinals
If Poles is looking to spread his cap space out in order to acquire more free agents, Allen would be on the bargain side of the equation. Here's where perhaps Poles wants to nab a young up-n-comer just starting to hit his stride. His first three years weren't much to talk about, but this past season is when Allen started feeling his oats. His 5.5 sacks doesn't shine a big spotlight, but 35 QB hurries and an 8.3% pressure rate, all while also being stout against the run is impressive.

Notice who I don't have as one of the candidates - Marcus Davenport, considered by many to be the top DE/Edge target in this year's FA class. For my taste he's overhyped and his market value, guesstimated to be in excess of $20m per year is WAY overvalued. Interestingly enough, 2022 was his healthiest year and yet he produced a whopping .5 sacks, altho in fairness he is considered a solid pass rusher and run stopper. Still, $20+Mil for an injury prone player without a ton of production is not my cup of tea and I trust won't be Poles' either.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Onto the #4 position of need and from my standpoint the last of what I'd refer to as the Tier One level of must-sign positions, the OG. In other words, Poles IMO must come away from free agency having signed a minimum of four starters, two from the DL and two from the OL. I can see where maybe signing a center would supersede signing a guard, but there's always the possibility of a healthy Lucas Patrick returning, plus there appears to be a stronger contingent of FA guards vs centers.

1. Ben Powers, 26, Baltimore Ravens
Had a fantastic '22 season, almost 1100 snaps, giving up ZERO sacks and only a single QB hit, making him the 2nd highest performing G per PFF. He'll command a hefty raise, but nothing remotely in the budget busting range - maybe $7-9 mil per year.

2. Dalton Risner, 27, Denver Broncos
Risner did surrender 3 sacks in playing over 1000 snaps, yet only drew a single penalty all year, which is the definition of discipline. Like Powers, he's still young and will undoubtedly be in line for a big raise, but again well within the team's budget.

3. Connor McGovern, 25, Dallas Cowboys
Listed as both a guard and a center, altho it appears he spends more time as a guard. Have to watch today's game to see where he lines up. His '22 stats were pretty impressive: 909 snaps, 2 sacks allowed, only 1 penalty. Shouldn't be too costly and his versatility would undoubtedly come in handy.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. Mike McGlinchey, 28, San Francisco 49ers
Probably the best known RT available this year, McGlinchey is probably the most balanced of the three names in terms of all around skillset. Coming off an injured '21, he played just about every snap this season. He was responsible for 6 sacks, but when you factor in him taking over 1,000 snaps, that's not such a bad rate. From a salary standpoint, he should fit in between the pricier McGary and the cheaper Taylor.

3. Connor McGovern, 25, Dallas Cowboys
Listed as both a guard and a center, altho it appears he spends more time as a guard. Have to watch today's game to see where he lines up. His '22 stats were pretty impressive: 909 snaps, 2 sacks allowed, only 1 penalty. Shouldn't be too costly and his versatility would undoubtedly come in handy.
I tried my best to follow these two OL in tonite's game, being there's a possibility of the Bears grabbing one or both of them in free agency. It's really hard to do so, if for no other reason than the camera follows the ball, plus it's hard to stay focused once the plays commence.

What I could see from McGlinchey was that he kinda got off to a rough start in his pass protection. I think he was responsible for a sack and perhaps a couple of pressures as well. However, he seemed to settle down and for the most part did his job well for the rest of the game. Plus from what I could see his run blocking was stout.

McGovern simply made zero errors that I could tell. Of course it's easier for a G to look ok being his responsibilities aren't as great. But he still had a job to do and it looked like he did it well, I'd even say a near perfect game.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried my best to follow these two OL in tonite's game, being there's a possibility of the Bears grabbing one or both of them in free agency. It's really hard to do so, if for no other reason than the camera follows the ball, plus it's hard to stay focused once the plays commence.

What I could see from McGlinchey was that he kinda got off to a rough start in his pass protection. I think he was responsible for a sack and perhaps a couple of pressures as well. However, he seemed to settle down and for the most part did his job well for the rest of the game. Plus from what I could see his run blocking was stout.

McGovern simply made zero errors that I could tell. Of course it's easier for a G to look ok being his responsibilities aren't as great. But he still had a job to do and it looked like he did it well, I'd even say a near perfect game.

Not to mention McGlinchey pretty much got body slammed by Parsons.......Even still,Id take him.......Just dont ser SF giving him up tho.....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention McGlinchey pretty much got body slammed by Parsons.......Even still,Id take him.......Just dont ser SF giving him up tho.....
Well TBH, he's kinda my 3rd choice anyway......altho it still means I'd still take him over any RT on our roster and by a long shot at that. And also in fairness, it's hard for anyone to look good against Parsons. I really thought after the 1st quarter or so, McGlinchey played fairly well. His run blocking was especially effective.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well TBH, he's kinda my 3rd choice anyway......altho it still means I'd still take him over any RT on our roster and by a long shot at that. And also in fairness, it's hard for anyone to look good against Parsons. I really thought after the 1st quarter or so, McGlinchey played fairly well. His run blocking was especially effective.

I never reazied thisuntil this past weeks,from an article I read on NFLs All Rookie team:

Braxton Jones
DRAFTED: Round 5, No. 168 overall

Drafted well after the top-rated tackles were off the board, Jones proved to be one of the biggest surprises of the class. Claiming the starting left tackle job by Week 1, Jones allowed four sacks within the first four weeks but just three more after that, per PFF, and he ended up playing every single offensive snap for the Bears. He was instrumental in the league-leading rushing attack and Justin Fields' record-setting campaign. Like Smith, there is room for the Southern Utah product to improve in pass protection, but he finished the year with PFF's highest overall grade among rookie tackles (75.4).

A 5th rounder that made the team.......??

You know I seen maybe 3 Bear games this past season,but from this article,it seems we dont need that lt as much as I thought.....
According to this,he needs a little more pass blocking skills,but its still a bit of concern with giving up 7 sacks.......Im thinking thats a lot,even it was only 3 after the 4th week......
If they think he can protect that blindside,then hes our starter next season.....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never reazied thisuntil this past weeks,from an article I read on NFLs All Rookie team:

Braxton Jones
DRAFTED: Round 5, No. 168 overall

Drafted well after the top-rated tackles were off the board, Jones proved to be one of the biggest surprises of the class. Claiming the starting left tackle job by Week 1, Jones allowed four sacks within the first four weeks but just three more after that, per PFF, and he ended up playing every single offensive snap for the Bears. He was instrumental in the league-leading rushing attack and Justin Fields' record-setting campaign. Like Smith, there is room for the Southern Utah product to improve in pass protection, but he finished the year with PFF's highest overall grade among rookie tackles (75.4).

A 5th rounder that made the team.......??

You know I seen maybe 3 Bear games this past season,but from this article,it seems we dont need that lt as much as I thought.....
According to this,he needs a little more pass blocking skills,but its still a bit of concern with giving up 7 sacks.......Im thinking thats a lot,even it was only 3 after the 4th week......

If they think he can protect that blindside,then hes our starter next season.....

Part of the reason I ranked DL above our OL is despite the poor take on those who protect Fields, we're really not quite as bad off as many would have us believe, altho we're nonetheless bad off. I see 3 openings for sure and even then it's assuming we cut Cody Whitehair. We're set with Jenkins and will probably at least start with Jones, so we need another OT, G, and C - and that's unless we stick with Patrick another year.