• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First look at the Bears offseason (mock free agents and full draft)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate the idea of using the draft to fix our front 7. It would take an enormous amount of money first of all. But most importantly I want young guys from the draft to build around. The core of this team needs to be built from the draft to have longevity in this league.
I agree to an extent. Relying only the draft to fix our front seven would not cut it, not even close. It's why I'm focusing more on offseason defensive free agents than offensive, altho we need help on both sides. But assuming we end up with a top 3-5 draft pick, there's no offensive player worth taking in those slots, especially if a couple of QBs are taken early. So I'm fine with grabbing someone from the DL, be it tackle or edge, with our first pick. OR trading back where other positions can come into play. At least one of these three should be there when the Bears pick:

Will Anderson, edge - Bama
Jalen Carter, DT - Georgia
Myles Murphy, edge - Clemson

These three are almost unanimously regarded by analysts as amongst the top 3 players in the draft not labeled a QB. None of them will likely be there if Poles trades back, but that's for another discussion. If he stays put, one of them will almost undoubtedly be a Bear.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to an extent. Relying only the draft to fix our front seven would not cut it, not even close. It's why I'm focusing more on offseason defensive free agents than offensive, altho we need help on both sides. But assuming we end up with a top 3-5 draft pick, there's no offensive player worth taking in those slots, especially if a couple of QBs are taken early. So I'm fine with grabbing someone from the DL, be it tackle or edge, with our first pick. OR trading back where other positions can come into play. At least one of these three should be there when the Bears pick:

Will Anderson, edge - Bama
Jalen Carter, DT - Georgia
Myles Murphy, edge - Clemson

These three are almost unanimously regarded by analysts as amongst the top 3 players in the draft not labeled a QB. None of them will likely be there if Poles trades back, but that's for another discussion. If he stays put, one of them will almost undoubtedly be a Bear.
You want one of those guys? Tank. We have to keep losing.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not going to get the 1 pick. Houston basically has that wrapped up. I would be surprised if we had more than 1 win left in us this season. We may lose out with Mooney, Fields Ejax all out. Top 5 pick is likely. Depends what happens with the other 3-4 win teams (there's a lot of them). Trying to sort that mess out with 6 weeks left in the season is a waste of time.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was referring to your history.

I repeat: This team is not "close"
With the parity in the league, free agency and such, any team can be only a year away. Bears have a bunch of money too.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the parity in the league, free agency and such, any team can be only a year away. Bears have a bunch of money too.

It depends what jackass means by "close."

Can we compete for the Super Bowl next season? F*ck no. I mean...Multiple MONUMENTAL things would have to go our way this offseason for that to happen. We're talking like fraction of a fraction of a percent stuff.

Competing for a playoff spot? I think it should be EXPECTED by the fans. Or one of two things has happened: Poles made bad moves OR Fields stops progressing and/or regresses.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want one of those guys? Tank. We have to keep losing.
Don't think the word 'tank' really matters any longer. We're simply too beat up at key positions and too thin with talent to believe we can still win some games. I'm pretty much going on the assumption from this point forward that we'll end up anywhere in the top 5 for next year's draft, more likely in the top 3. So one or more of those three will definitely be there for the taking. As I previously stated, the bigger question will be whether Poles decides to hold onto the pick or trade back. I think the offseason free agency/cuts environment will go a long way toward determining this.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends what jackass means by "close."

Can we compete for the Super Bowl next season? F*ck no. I mean...Multiple MONUMENTAL things would have to go our way this offseason for that to happen. We're talking like fraction of a fraction of a percent stuff.

Competing for a playoff spot? I think it should be EXPECTED by the fans. Or one of two things has happened: Poles made bad moves OR Fields stops progressing and/or regresses.
I'm of the belief as well that you don't need a bunch of years these days to turn your fortunes around. The NFL is much more fluid than in past years. I mean, wasn't Philly just a 4 win team as recently as 2020? Not saying the same turnaround happens this quickly to the Bears, but when you're armed with a monstrous amount of available cap space along with a full arsenal of draft picks, there's definitely a path to get our team back in the hunt within 1-2 years.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article with three draft day trade suggestions, assuming that the Bears end up with the #2 pick, not at all a certainty:

I'd definitely jump all over #1, but the Lions wouldn't give up that much. #2 seems a bit more plausible, whereas #3 seems the most realistic.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an article with three draft day trade suggestions, assuming that the Bears end up with the #2 pick, not at all a certainty:

I'd definitely jump all over #1, but the Lions wouldn't give up that much. #2 seems a bit more plausible, whereas #3 seems the most realistic.

I like all 3 scenarios myself.......and I do believe Detroit would like one of those qbs.....not sure there will be one there at 6 when their turn comes around......
Unless they trade up for the 3rd......
But we will be getting lots of interesting calls.....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's an early look at our '23 opponents. A couple of teams are still TBD until the standings are finalized. Obviously some toughies here, but overall, the matchups lean on the favorable side for us.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My kind of YT video: comparing the top two rated players in college football which happen to be my personal two favorites for taking in the draft:

The podcaster clearly prefers Carter over Anderson, but nonetheless heaps a ton of praise on the latter as well. The cool thing about this is assuming the Bears end up in the number 2 slot and assuming Houston doesn't trade down and uses their pick on a QB, which is the going thought, then our beloved Bears will have the luxury of being able to choose between these two. OR....trade down of course.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two higher end OL now off the FA list are the Packers Elgton Jenkins and the Browns Jack Conklin, each of whom signed extensions with his respective club. Gives the remaining linemen more leverage.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't look now, but the Texans are just one half game behind us for the worst record. And their last two games are against the Jags and the Colts. The Jags have been red hot so that's likely a loss, but the Colts game is very winnable. This could get quite interesting in the next couple of weeks.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy New Year!!! Let's not only hope, but also count on the Bears being a much better ballclub after this offseason and draft come to a conclusion. Here is a newly updated free agency/draft scenario from one of the local rags, complete with trade downs and trade ups in the draft:

I particularly like the free agent suggestions, altho with each passing day I'm becoming increasingly suspicious that the Commanders will hold onto Da'Ron Payne, either thru an extension or perhaps more likely tagging him. If so, there are alternatives at this position. I like some of the other suggested signings tho.

The draft ideas, with the aforementioned trade downs & ups, are a bit wackier. I know a lot of writers and fans think the Raiders by benching Derek Carr will be looking to blow up the team, but I don't see this at all. They just want to keep him safe and healthy to prevent a huge cap hit when releasing him. The Raiders aren't as bad as their record would suggest. A sizable majority of their losses have been in the one score territory. I'm guessing they'll want to retain most of their key players and simply shoot for a veteran QB (Tom Brady anyone?). I think they're gonna tag Josh Jacobs, that would be a smart move. Besides, I'm thinking more along the lines of a trade with the Colts, as it's obvious they need a do-over at the QB position and will want to start from scratch with a high pick rook.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Happy New Year!!! Let's not only hope, but also count on the Bears being a much better ballclub after this offseason and draft come to a conclusion. Here is a newly updated free agency/draft scenario from one of the local rags, complete with trade downs and trade ups in the draft:

I particularly like the free agent suggestions, altho with each passing day I'm becoming increasingly suspicious that the Commanders will hold onto Da'Ron Payne, either thru an extension or perhaps more likely tagging him. If so, there are alternatives at this position. I like some of the other suggested signings tho.

The draft ideas, with the aforementioned trade downs & ups, are a bit wackier. I know a lot of writers and fans think the Raiders by benching Derek Carr will be looking to blow up the team, but I don't see this at all. They just want to keep him safe and healthy to prevent a huge cap hit when releasing him. The Raiders aren't as bad as their record would suggest. A sizable majority of their losses have been in the one score territory. I'm guessing they'll want to retain most of their key players and simply shoot for a veteran QB (Tom Brady anyone?). I think they're gonna tag Josh Jacobs, that would be a smart move. Besides, I'm thinking more along the lines of a trade with the Colts, as it's obvious they need a do-over at the QB position and will want to start from scratch with a high pick rook.

Im not sure what average tes get in this league,nor am I sure of giving Kmet 8 mill a year......Has he earned it,nit sure but he has shown it for a couple of games......but still not 100% sold on him.

Im with you on Da'ron Payne........ would be a nice signing.,if we did,I see Poles 100% of moving out of the 2nd pick.......(got my fingers crossed we do anyways,)

As far as the Jags ot,with TL coming to life as a top notch qb,it would be in the best of interest to keep Taylor.......That would really be dimb of them if they didnt......Im sure they could cut some fat in other places to keep him.....

The trade idea:
Trade: #2 pick and 4th in 2024 to the Raiders for #9 pick, 2nd in 2023, 2nd in 2024, and DE Maxx Crosby,wont happen.....

Derrick Carr leaving Las Vegas is just talk.......no way do they let jim go after reuniting him with after signing big big money on DaVante........after one season together and then break them up??....?Davante may have something to say about that.......

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder why they don’t mention needing a “backup pass catching TE”? SHOCKER.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder why they don’t mention needing a “backup pass catching TE”? SHOCKER.
Really wanted to squeeze that last incessant troll in before new years eh?

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really wanted to squeeze that last incessant troll in before new years eh?

It’s unbelievable to think someone with any knowledge of the Bears will look at this roster and think backup TE is what we need. I mean that’s just lol ignorance and then they try to justify it with some bs.

It’s eerily similar to looking at this defense and think Top 5 in sacks.

I repeat we have the dumbest fans.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this article by the Trib's Brad Biggs (courtesy of Yahoo, need a subscription otherwise to read Tribune bylines):

His first couple of "thoughts" are about Sunday's debacle, then starting with #3, it goes on with ramblings about the draft, the so-far bad decision over the Claypool trade, and Fields shot at the QB rushing record. Where it gets particularly interesting is on #6, which includes how teams who have finished with the #1 or #2 draft picks fared the following season since 2000. In one sense, not very encouraging with an average of 6.5 & 6 wins, respectively. However, the one X factor in this equation is has there ever been a team finishing dead last or next to dead last that went into the following offseason with practically double the available cap space than the club with the next highest cap? I don't have such history at my fingertips, but my guess is a firm no way Jose. It's precisely why I feel the Bears could possibly end up in a playoff chase next year if it mostly goes well with the FA signings as well as the draft. Yes, a lot has to go right, but the ingredients are there for such a scenario.