• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

First look at the Bears offseason (mock free agents and full draft)

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never reazied thisuntil this past weeks,from an article I read on NFLs All Rookie team:

Braxton Jones
DRAFTED: Round 5, No. 168 overall

Drafted well after the top-rated tackles were off the board, Jones proved to be one of the biggest surprises of the class. Claiming the starting left tackle job by Week 1, Jones allowed four sacks within the first four weeks but just three more after that, per PFF, and he ended up playing every single offensive snap for the Bears. He was instrumental in the league-leading rushing attack and Justin Fields' record-setting campaign. Like Smith, there is room for the Southern Utah product to improve in pass protection, but he finished the year with PFF's highest overall grade among rookie tackles (75.4).

A 5th rounder that made the team.......??

You know I seen maybe 3 Bear games this past season,but from this article,it seems we dont need that lt as much as I thought.....
According to this,he needs a little more pass blocking skills,but its still a bit of concern with giving up 7 sacks.......Im thinking thats a lot,even it was only 3 after the 4th week......
If they think he can protect that blindside,then hes our starter next season.....

One of the most intriguing things about this season is where we go with our tackles. Braxton Jones playing reasonably well creates a lot of questions.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the most intriguing things about this season is where we go with our tackles. Braxton Jones playing reasonably well creates a lot of questions.
Which is why I'm for giving Jones another year at LT, which saves Poles a ton of $$$ knowing he doesn't have to chase another LT, at least in free agency. Now whether or not he drafts one is a whole nuther story, but even there I don't see him using his top pick on such. Get us a free agent right tackle (or FART for short), a guard, maybe even have a little left over for a center, and we can call it a Spring.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why I'm for giving Jones another year at LT, which saves Poles a ton of $$$ knowing he doesn't have to chase another LT, at least in free agency. Now whether or not he drafts one is a whole nuther story, but even there I don't see him using his top pick on such. Get us a free agent right tackle (or FART for short), a guard, maybe even have a little left over for a center, and we can call it a Spring.

Mustipher...must...go....

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the reason I ranked DL above our OL is despite the poor take on those who protect Fields, we're really not quite as bad off as many would have us believe, altho we're nonetheless bad off. I see 3 openings for sure and even then it's assuming we cut Cody Whitehair. We're set with Jenkins and will probably at least start with Jones, so we need another OT, G, and C - and that's unless we stick with Patrick another year.

Well Im all for another olineman,its a must need.....where??,Im not sure,so Im relying on your assessments.........

If we can get a top olineman or two in the draft/ freeagency,Ill be one happy camper.....

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now we hit the 2nd tier of needy free agents for Poles to chase. Not as urgent of needs, but with our roster, these positions can always stand for improvement. I'm starting with WR because as I've mentioned before, this would normally be right up there with our top wishes if there was truly a #1 receiver available. But there isn't. So what I'm gonna do is simply list four but without a specific priority or ranking. We'll go 1a - thru 1d:

1a: Jakobi Meyers, 26, New England Patriots
In 14 games this year he was good for 804 yards and 6 TDs. Not the flashiest nor all that fast as wideouts go, but he has good hands, is dependable and moves the chains.

1b: JuJu Smith-Schuster, 26, Kansa City Chiefs
Best stats of the four I have listed here - 78 catches for 933 yards & 3 TDs. No denying his numbers, but then again we have to keep in mind who's been throwing him the ball. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up re-signing with the Chiefs. Plus he'll likely cost the most even if he does become available.

1c. Allen Lazard, 27, Green Bay Packers
Possible enemy camp raid. At 6'5, 220 lbs, Lazard makes for a nice sized target and is the best blocking WR on this list. He was good for 788 yards, but clearly has become 3rd on the depth chart in GB. He should be readily available, but don't we already have a big blocking former Packer on the roster that we just re-upped for one year?

1d. DJ Chark, 26, Detroit Lions
Perhaps the most intriguing yet questionable of the batch. Another big body at 6'4, 205 lbs, but with the difference being he also has legit 4.3 speed. His problem is health. 2019 was the only season where he was relatively healthy the whole year and perhaps not so coincidentally, the only year that he made the PB. His yards per catch are the longest in this group. A chancy signing, but he potentially gives us the highest upside and will likely be the cheapest to sign. It's just that I hate the word potentially.

Now there's another name out there that's been bandied about in recent days who some claim would be a no brainer for the Bears to sign, and that's Michael Thomas of the New Orleans Saints. Technically he's still contracted with the team, but it's been the world's worst kept secret that they plan to cut him after June 1st for cap savings purposes. It would be nice if we were talking about the Michael Thomas of years past and as recently as 2019, when he put up all-universe numbers of 149 catches for 1725 yards and 9 TDs. But then again there's no way in hell that he'd be available. He'll be 30 before even the OTAs commence, and let's also remember in the three years following that mythical '19 production, he's appeared in a total of 10 games. Hey, if/when he's available and is willing to sign for the league minimum, I suppose I'd take a flier on him. But for the most part, let's trust that Poles will make this a firm no thanks.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now we hit the 2nd tier of needy free agents for Poles to chase. Not as urgent of needs, but with our roster, these positions can always stand for improvement. I'm starting with WR because as I've mentioned before, this would normally be right up there with our top wishes if there was truly a #1 receiver available. But there isn't. So what I'm gonna do is simply list four but without a specific priority or ranking. We'll go 1a - thru 1d:

1a: Jakobi Meyers, 26, New England Patriots
In 14 games this year he was good for 804 yards and 6 TDs. Not the flashiest nor all that fast as wideouts go, but he has good hands, is dependable and moves the chains.

1b: JuJu Smith-Schuster, 26, Kansa City Chiefs
Best stats of the four I have listed here - 78 catches for 933 yards & 3 TDs. No denying his numbers, but then again we have to keep in mind who's been throwing him the ball. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up re-signing with the Chiefs. Plus he'll likely cost the most even if he does become available.

1c. Allen Lazard, 27, Green Bay Packers
Possible enemy camp raid. At 6'5, 220 lbs, Lazard makes for a nice sized target and is the best blocking WR on this list. He was good for 788 yards, but clearly has become 3rd on the depth chart in GB. He should be readily available, but don't we already have a big blocking former Packer on the roster that we just re-upped for one year?

1d. DJ Chark, 26, Detroit Lions
Perhaps the most intriguing yet questionable of the batch. Another big body at 6'4, 205 lbs, but with the difference being he also has legit 4.3 speed. His problem is health. 2019 was the only season where he was relatively healthy the whole year and perhaps not so coincidentally, the only year that he made the PB. His yards per catch are the longest in this group. A chancy signing, but he potentially gives us the highest upside and will likely be the cheapest to sign. It's just that I hate the word potentially.

Now there's another name out there that's been bandied about in recent days who some claim would be a no brainer for the Bears to sign, and that's Michael Thomas of the New Orleans Saints. Technically he's still contracted with the team, but it's been the world's worst kept secret that they plan to cut him after June 1st for cap savings purposes. It would be nice if we were talking about the Michael Thomas of years past and as recently as 2019, when he put up all-universe numbers of 149 catches for 1725 yards and 9 TDs. But then again there's no way in hell that he'd be available. He'll be 30 before even the OTAs commence, and let's also remember in the three years following that mythical '19 production, he's appeared in a total of 10 games. Hey, if/when he's available and is willing to sign for the league minimum, I suppose I'd take a flier on him. But for the most part, let's trust that Poles will make this a firm no thanks.

Im not really intrigued with any of these guys,other than maybe Lazaed.....I think they are just a second option.......We already have that in Mooney.....If thats what we are looking for then I would like Lazard myself,but theres not one single wr that can match any of the top wrs in the league......otherwise,we will be stuck with trash again.....

We did not have a top 50 wr in any catagory.......TOP 50!!!

This is where the line needs to be drawn.....we are most likely trading down....whoever it is,pending where that trade lands us,their 2nd rd needs to be included.......
As I sais pending,if its the Colts,Id take their 2nd rd pick on wr.......
If we trade to to a team thats outside of top 10,I dont see how we pass on wr.....(assuming we take ol in fa)......
Because theres no way do we compete offensively wise vs Det,GB and Minn with the wrs they have......and thats just in our division......
Our wrs are absolutley atrocious......

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's true. You seem to have very strong feelings about the lifestyle.
No, you seemed to have a better answer as to why Cam Newton was out of the NFL at age 32 when he should have been in his prime. We know RGIII is out due to health reasons, we know that Kaperdick is out because of political beliefs, you were the one who had the knowledge other than an uncomfortable locker room as to why Cam is out.

If it comes down to he could not complete a pass to save his life anymore, then it just backs up the reason I want Fields to develop as a passer and stop running when he feels pressure so we dont dump 250 million on Fields when his time comes.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not really intrigued with any of these guys,other than maybe Lazaed.....I think they are just a second option.......We already have that in Mooney.....If thats what we are looking for then I would like Lazard myself,but theres not one single wr that can match any of the top wrs in the league......otherwise,we will be stuck with trash again.....

We did not have a top 50 wr in any catagory.......TOP 50!!!

This is where the line needs to be drawn.....we are most likely trading down....whoever it is,pending where that trade lands us,their 2nd rd needs to be included.......
As I sais pending,if its the Colts,Id take their 2nd rd pick on wr.......
If we trade to to a team thats outside of top 10,I dont see how we pass on wr.....(assuming we take ol in fa)......
Because theres no way do we compete offensively wise vs Det,GB and Minn with the wrs they have......and thats just in our division......
Our wrs are absolutley atrocious......
I was intrigued looking at the 6 finalists for Rookie of the year and see where they were drafted.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you seemed to have a better answer as to why Cam Newton was out of the NFL at age 32 when he should have been in his prime. We know RGIII is out due to health reasons, we know that Kaperdick is out because of political beliefs, you were the one who had the knowledge other than an uncomfortable locker room as to why Cam is out.

Are you disputing the stats that I posted? Are they not real?

Was Cam actually lighting it up on the field and I'm wrong?

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it comes down to he could not complete a pass to save his life anymore, then it just backs up the reason I want Fields to develop as a passer and stop running when he feels pressure so we dont dump 250 million on Fields when his time comes.

If Fields isn't performing when time comes...they won't pay him. They will move on like they moved on from Mitch.

Nothing backs up your reasoning. Because you are literally fucking retarded.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Fields isn't performing when time comes...they won't pay him. They will move on like they moved on from Mitch.
Exactly. This coming season is really Fields prove it year. He doesn't have to light the world on fire, but he'll need to prove he deserves the monstrous contract all topnotch starting QBs receive these days once their rookie contracts are over or better put, soon to be over.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We soldier on with the Center position to discuss, and it's one that's had me a bit concerned in terms of whether we deem the spot a necessity......or is it and that signing a guard is not that important. Early on I was of the mindset that Poles could possibly sign 3 OL - tackle, guard, and center, and all starters at that. But this may be a bit of a stretch to think he'd shoot for all three. He's stated on a number of occasions that he wants to build thru the draft, and while he realistically has to sign some free agents, not sure three of them should be dedicated to the OL. After all, there is the draft. And it just so happens that this year's class offers a decent number of draft-worthy centers, especially some mid-late round candidates. But you never know, Poles may place greater emphasis on inking a center vs a guard, so WTF, might as well provide a center list.

1. Ethan Pocic, 27, Cleveland Browns
Combination of age and talent, he'll likely be the most sought after C on the market. 800+ snaps with only 1 sack and 2 penalties. I'm sure the Browns will try and figure a way to retain him, but if we're looking for a still relatively young center on the higher end of the talent scale, this is our guy.

2. Kyle Fuller, 28, Seattle Seahawks
No, not THAT Kyle Fuller. I think he's Seattle's #2 center, but he's young, grades above average and when he does play, he's sack-penalty free. Could be a cheap backup in the event Patrick goes IR again. And he's NOT Sam Mustipher!!

3. Jayson Kelce, 35, Philadelphia Eagles
The gold standard for today's centers. Really more of a fit for a team who's just a player or two away from competing for some titles, which is not the case with our beloved Bears. But I thought he was at least worth mentioning, even if only in some sort of honorary way.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cornerbacks.........another confusing situation. It's a position within a unit (secondary) that's not close to being our worst, in fact it's one of our strengths. And yet we're probably one CB away from locking the spot down as a need for a number of years. In today's pass happy league, the CB position is now pretty much considered a three man necessity. We have a couple of good young ones in Jaylon Johnson and the improving Kyler Gordon, who struggled early on, but has since found his footing. He might be best suited for the slot, altho he can also handle outside as well. One more shutdown corner and I think we're set. However, will it be via free agency or the draft? Here's who should be our top three targets if Poles decides to buy one:

1. Jamel Dean, 26, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
He gets better each year and collectively has put up some solid numbers during his young NFL career - 193 tackles, 41 pass breakups and 7 interceptions. Can play both slot and outside. He shouldn't cost too much, somewhere in the $8-9 mil range.

2. Cam Sutton, 27, Pittsburgh Steelers
Revenge time for them bilking us out of our #32 pick!!! Cam's kinda played under the radar for part of his career, but has come on stronger in his last couple years, including a nice '22 season of 43 tackles, 15 pass breakups and 3 interceptions, while also giving up only 388 yards in pass coverage. He'll likely be in the $7-8 mil range. He too can play both outside and the slot.

3. James Bradberry, 29, Philadelphia Eagles
Like his DT teammate Javon Hargrave, Bradberry is amongst the NFL's best at his position, the only FA CB who made All Pro this year. He was good for 17 pass breakups and 3 interceptions, all this while playing over 1,000 defensive snaps for the third straight year in 2022. He also allowed a 46.0% completion percentage when targeted, which was the fourth-best mark among CBs. But will age prevent Poles from securing his services? If he wants the guy, it'll cost - his market value should be in the $16-18 mil range.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing backs up your reasoning. Because you are literally fucking retarded.
stop insulting retarded people, you will burn in hell.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you disputing the stats that I posted? Are they not real?

Was Cam actually lighting it up on the field and I'm wrong?
Don't remember you posting anything other than stupid, stupid, stupid and defending your alphabet society.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't remember you posting anything other than stupid, stupid, stupid and defending your alphabet society.

Nice attempt at a dodge but you know you saw it.

People with empty heads can't be clever. And they fall down trying.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Destroying LSD's masterpiece here boys...

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The last position on my watch chart is LB, and more to the point OLB. I've previously mentioned that the biggest names available this year all seem to be MIKEs, and with the performance by Jack Sanborn since he took over in that spot, I'm thinking Poles might not be on the hunt for one. Such FA names as the Bills Tremaine Edmunds and the Eagles TJ Edwards are young and playing great football, but playing the MIKE positions, so I'm not listing them. Doesn't mean Poles will ignore either player, you never know. But I suspect he'll want to stick with Sanborn in the middle and at the same time save some coinage, because those two will likely cost for their services. And of course that's assuming either one doesn't re-up or get tagged. Pole may also choose to stick with the draft, as there should be quality candidates in most of the rounds. But if he wants to sign an LB:

1. Bobby Okereke, 26, Indianapolis Colts
Another Flus alumni, Okereke came aboard as a MIKE, but an injury that shelved Darius Leonard for most of this past season eventually forced Okereke over to the WILL, where he handled the position quite well, with 151 tackles (99 solo), five broken-up passes and two forced fumbles. He also only gave up one touchdown on 82 targets. Having played under Flus might give him a leg up, plus he's very affordable.

2. Drue Tranquill, 27, Los Angeles Chargers
Like Okereke, Tranquill can play both WILL and MIKE, so he brings that same versatility. Had a solid campaign in '22, 146 tackles (93 solo), five sacks, four defended passes, a forced fumble and an interception. Also should be very affordable.

3. Lorenzo Carter, 27, Atlanta Falcons
A DE sized OLB at 6'5/255lb, his versatility might be more in switching back and forth from LB to the DL. His numbers don't scream high production, altho he did nail the QB four times last season.