• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fire Vogel this weekend...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Heatles84 @bksballer89 Clearly you two clowns didn't pay close attention to Pacers games and just how dysfunctional Vogel's offense can become.

It's often a simple pass-and-shoot offense, and guys taking turns dribbling and going one-on-one (your turn my turn). The first half of Game 3 and the 4th quarter of Game 5 were prime examples.

But since we were the #7 seed, we shouldn't have won anyway. The should excuse the faults of everyone in the organization according to you two geniuses.

Maybe we do need to reload to get better players and I never disputed that, but the guys in place were still in good position to get it done and yet managed to let it get away.

That's all I got for now. Rant over.

I think Vogel is a good coach, but maybe he's not a championship coach. Some coaches are very good at turning a team into a playoff team, but just aren't a coach that can get a team to the finals. Del Harris was like that. He got the Lakers making solid playoff runs, but it took Phil to get them winning titles. Marty Schottenheimer was like that in the NFL.

Maybe that's who Vogel is as a coach? You hire him to get your team to a certain level and then let him go and bring in a guy who can take them the rest of the way. Nothing wrong with that and those types of coaches can have long careers. The teams that hire them just need to make sure they move on at the right time.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Vogel is a good coach, but maybe he's not a championship coach. Some coaches are very good at turning a team into a playoff team, but just aren't a coach that can get a team to the finals. Del Harris was like that. He got the Lakers making solid playoff runs, but it took Phil to get them winning titles. Marty Schottenheimer was like that in the NFL.

Maybe that's who Vogel is as a coach? You hire him to get your team to a certain level and then let him go and bring in a guy who can take them the rest of the way. Nothing wrong with that and those types of coaches can have long careers. The teams that hire them just need to make sure they move on at the right time.

To be fair to him, he was trying to beat the Heat/Lebron teams, the George was injured, then this season.
The series was a toss up, just like the Heats.
Both teams with game 7 at home won, which is nothing out of the ordinary.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the offense was not great, but the Bulls said the same thing last year when they fired Thibs. How did that work out? Maybe hiring an offensive coordinator would be a better move. My take from last night:

1) Paul George is outstanding. 2nd best player in the east, hands down.
2) Myles Turner can develop into a nice offensive player, but he is 2-3 years away from being a reliable go to option
3) the guards (Ellis, Hill, Stuckey, Hill) are all redundant pieces. None of them are any good playing off the ball. They are all at their best attacking with the ball in their hands. That is why the Pacers play so much ISO ball.
4) George Hill is a good player, but not a starting caliber PG. he has a tough time running the offense. He would be best suited for a 6th man combo guard role, like Corey Joseph.
5) the big men, other than Turner, have very little offensive ability. Change coaches if you want, but Mahimi and Allen are defenders/rebounders.

To be honest, I don't think many coaches could have done better with this team. You can say that you expected to beat the Heat, flush with 3 future hall of fame players, but only a Pacer fan would say that. They were the superior team, hands down, yet Vogel got them close.

I am usually tougher on coaches than most. In fact, I was saying Scott Brooks was the problem in OKC the year he took them to the Finals and was laughed at. Vogel has consistently gotten this team to overachieve and I think he is one of the ten best coaches in the NBA.

Agree with most of this.

But, let's just see how Thibs fares with a poorly-owned franchise in Minnesota. The Bulls' struggles didn't have as much to do with Thibs being down as much as it did with the lack of chemistry with Rose and Butler rarely being healthy at the same time.

Maybe we wouldn't wouldn't have won more than 45 games with any other coach, but most coaches I believe would have got us past Toronto. Under Vogel, there are just periods when our offense looks completely flat. Prime examples are when we trailed by 23 in the first half of Game 3 and when we blew a 15-point lead and managed just nine points in the fourth quarter of Game 5.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings need to go hard after Vogel if he's on the market.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Cavs lose, I'm going to direct my epic rant at Dij instead of Wiggy now. Wiggy hasn't be intolerable the last week or so...that could change.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you don't need to be Greg Popovich to win a title as a coach. You do need a championship roster though.

Vogel is every bit as good a coach as Spoelstra (maybe better).

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you don't need to be Greg Popovich to win a title as a coach. You do need a championship roster though.

Vogel is every bit as good a coach as Spoelstra (maybe better).

Yeah, I read your post after I posted mine and I think I agree with your post more. I think Vogel deserves another chance with a better roster before painting him as a "Del Harris" type coach. As I said in my post, nothing wrong with being a Del Harris type. He's had a long career coaching in the NBA. But Vogel may be better than that.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the activity around the league in terms of how teams handle firing/hiring their coaches- I couldn't help but think about what happens to Vogel once they lost last night.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based on the activity around the league in terms of how teams handle firing/hiring their coaches- I couldn't help but think about what happens to Vogel once they lost last night.

Problem for Indy, if they really do want to fire him, is that making the playoffs and extending to 7 games may have really hurt them. Not sure there's anyone left who would be any better than Vogel.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Cavs lose, I'm going to direct my epic rant at Dij instead of Wiggy now. Wiggy hasn't be intolerable the last week or so...that could change.

He headed back into troll mode last night.
He'll either be working late tonight or blowing up the board depending on the Cavs score later.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that the Pacers are gone, I am officially a Cavs fan. I hope @WiggyRuss owns all you bitches.

Nothing to own.
We either get the last laugh ( probable ending) or we tell him they finally ended up doing what they're supposed to do.
#championshiporbust

He could own us for a bit, but he's been to much of a coward to bet.

#runneruptrophy

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you're in for a disappointment.

I honestly wouldn't mind a Cavs/Heat matchup in the conference finals, but just pointing out that there;s still that chance you'll become a Raptors fan if the beat you and end up facing the Cavs.