• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final Grade: 49ers Draft

Final Grade: 49ers Draft

• A

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • B

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • C

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That happens with drafting guys who are healthy. I think it's a great strategy. Most teams can't do it because they need to fill spots on the roster right away and they can't afford to have guys sit a year. That the Niners can stash multiple players on the NFI who might have been high draft picks and still be able to keep them for 4 years is just plain smart.

I think it's a great plan too for the reasons you mentioned.

If Lattimore can't come back this year but they still think he has potential to Garrison Hearst his way back I would be totally cool if they put him on IR again. I feel pretty comfortable with Gore/Hyde as a two-headed monster and Hunter as the change of pace.

Fuck LaMichael James though

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
5. Seventh-round Action

San Francisco wrapped up the draft with Boston College defensive lineman Kaleb Ramsey at pick No. 243 and Oklahoma fullback Trey Millard at pick No. 245. Ramsey posted an impressive 36 reps of the 225-pound bench press at the combine. Ramsey also had six years of college elgibility due to injuries. In 2010, he sacked 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in the Fight Hunger Bowl.

You can see the explosion and strength of this dude. As soon as the pick was made, I commented about it giving my immediate approval. I compared him to Ray McDonald, but in actuality he is more athletic / shows more speed, explosion, and agility than RayMac. You can also see his brute strength. If he stays healthy, not sure how Dial will beat him for the final spot on the Dline. Big if though, because this kid Ramsey is hardly ever healthy. However, when healthy...watch out!!

HOWEVER, he doesn't have much upside IMO (maybe zero) being that he's about to be 25 years old next month. He should be already be in his prime at present. So It wouldn't make since to try to stash him on our practice squad:

You just have to admire his combination of strength, speed, power, and agility though:

[YOUTUBE]-DLVF-A_hSE[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think it's a great plan too for the reasons you mentioned.

If Lattimore can't come back this year but they still think he has potential to Garrison Hearst his way back I would be totally cool if they put him on IR again. I feel pretty comfortable with Gore/Hyde as a two-headed monster and Hunter as the change of pace.

Fuck LaMichael James though

:agree:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where is this info about Lattimore not being ready. All I have heard was positive news. Tank said he was 100%. Cant wait to see him play.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mel has us with the best draft. Was some what shocked when I saw this. Not a big Mel Kiper fan but its nice to see him give us some positive news on this draft. I guess we just have to wait and see how these players develop.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where is this info about Lattimore not being ready. All I have heard was positive news. Tank said he was 100%. Cant wait to see him play.

we read he doesn't have the burst like before, at least not yet. so until he gets on the field these next few months, no one knows?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
They seem to have a strategy of picking up injured guys and "red shirting" them. Picked up two more guys this year in addition to Latimore and Carradine last year. Not sure what I think of this strategy. It allows you to pay less for potential but you may just end up with guys who will never play.

It's a great strategy when you're a team with a loaded roster and multiple picks.

I believe if your a team that wants to keep your window open you need to take calculated gambles on guys that are talented but slid due to injury or character issue (moreso on the injury side not the character side).

I would rather roll the dice on a guy like Aaron Lynch who has flashed 1st round talent in the 5th round than on a guy that is a 5th round talent that will struggle to make the roster or have any impact.

Sure you might bust on the pick but if the guy is coached up and matures you could possibly have top 10 talent on a small contract that just cost a 5th round pick. So in the end the potential positives outweigh the negatives.

Lets say for the sake of argument that Tank Carradine and Lattimore bounce back perfectly fine from injury and live up to being upper 1st round talents. That would be like having 3 1st round picks in 2013 but at a fraction of the investment in terms of dollars and draft collateral.

Another benefit is for the guys like Lattimore that are on the NFI the entire year they don't accrue a year on their contract. So when Lattimore does hit the field this season we would still have him for 4 years effectively making him still a rookie yet instead of learning the playbook he can hit the field already knowing the playbook. Basically these guys are getting a mental headstart for free and that works out to our advantage.

We're not going to hit on all of these guys but if we hit on a couple it's more than worth the ones we didn't hit on.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just skimmed through this thread, but I haven't seen anyone talk about our 7th round STEAL in Trey Millard. He'll redshirt, then be that army swiss knife that Walker was.

This draft is awesome. Ward will contribute in the slot, Hyde will be a factor, Borland will ease the Bowman loss, Martin will start and be a stud, and Thomas and Millard are steals. I don't know about the other cb's, and Im not convinced on Ellington, though I have to count Stevie as a draft pick since he was obtained during the process.

This draft has an A written all over it!

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
KEITH REASER VS. MIAMI HURRICANES... Looks like we got a steal

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked at some of the ignorance on this board after going through 6 pages of this...I was in attendance the whole draft from Thurs-Sat in NYC, had great seats and got to meet Roger and Prime-Time. Had to wait 5 hours in line Wednesday night to get a 1st rnd ticket, but it was worth it....Now my draft reactions, our front office did an amazing job and I gave this draft an, A-.
I have read and listened to a lot of NFL experts from ESPN, NFL network and some on rotoworld, (when your flight gets cancelled in Charlotte you have a lot of time to read), but they all said the 49ers had one of the BEST drafts. We got Carlos Hyde who is a damn stud and is just like Gore, he will be the starter next year and will get carries this year. Hunter is not an every down back and from listening to Lattimore he may never be himself, he said he lost explosiveness and power. Hyde is a damn monster. Martin will eventually be our starting center, and D.Johnson will earn some time and may be a starter this year or next. He is a big corner who can play the game. Ellington is an athletic freak who ran a 4.3-4.4 and can line up in the backfield, the slot or out wide.
I loved this pick. He can stretch the field and make people miss, oh not to mention we got Stevie Johnson, you know the guy that had 3 straight 1,000 yard 6Td seasons up until last year when he only played 12 games. And being a Badger, I love me some CB. Borland is an old school LB, who will hit and knock you down all game. He is great off the edge and will not miss a tackle. Not a great athlete or super fast but a great football player who has instincts and can lay the wood to people. Go watch his highlight film, I believe he had like 20 tackles against OSU this past season. Like I said this draft was an A. We got depth at every position we needed and got our future starting RB, center and CB and our starting KR/PR in Ellington. Oh yea and I will say it again Stevie Johnson, our new starting slot WR.

JMedlock5186

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who voted F. That is a person that has no clue.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle fan who is jealous after we landed Stevie

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Un)Fortunately I've been active outside the house so I wasn't able to chime/rant as much as I usually do. Allow me to put you all through my misery of a posting.

1 30(30) J. Ward DS Northern Illinois - I'm sorry I just don't like it... I felt more comfortable with other CBs playing CBs however we'll see what he can do. My new signature stays til proven otherwise.
2 25(57) C. Hyde RB Ohio State - After the initial panic attack, this one left me in an ambulance... S then RB? two areas that had no business of addressing this early. What it tells me though is the condition of Lattimore thus I can understand it but I don't like it. Hyde is a good player, nothing wrong or questionable about that but the position of need, I'm not thrilled.
3 6(70) M. Martin - USC - Finally I like a pick! This guy hopefully starts from day 1. Surprised he lasted that long TBH
3 13(77) C. Borland ILB Wisconsin - Most are not happy but I can understand the ILB fill in with Bowman's absence and steady pace recovery(no rush Bow!) He won't be flashy but he'll be good for us IMO. However I think there were other prospects like an Archer that could've been had and that's where the :( would be placed on Borland.
3 36(100) B. Thomas OG Clemson - THATS a Baalke pick. Great move IMO, and really a team like us could afford. I am preparing myself for a Iupati dismissel or a Boone departure... tough breaks.
4 6(106) B. Ellington WR South Carolina - Not really for or against, I count 4 WRs already, 5 if Osgood is deemed a WR thus making Ellington 6. Lets see what he can do.
4 29(129) D. Johnson DC North Carolina State - This is the pick that has MY most eye on. After hearing about him through Mel/Todd review, I like it and sold. His size is what I was looking for in a CB in this draft so lets see it happen. I did want Desir really badly though.
5 10(150) A. Lynch DE SOUTH FLORIDA - A lot are on potential with this headcase so I have to lean towards others' opinions/projections. Is he a straight DE or a pass rusher OLB?
5 30(170) K. Reaser DC Florida Atlantic - Redshirt and another possible CB help.
6 4(180) K. Acker DC Southern Methodist - I don't care
7 28(243) K. Ramsey DT Boston College - stopped watching
7 30(245) T. Millard FB Oklahoma - Marecic!!!

I graded a C. Sorry I did not enjoy this draft. I felt we did nothing to win the SB this year but what we did is retool and started preparing for the future. Its not a matter of big name picks but immediate impact players that can help this team and we had the ammo(picks) to make the moves to do so. We didn't and will likely cut a lot of these picks. For that I'm bummed.

I think Baalke or Harbaugh needs to actually understand this isn't the collegiate level where you add 100 guys lol... its not sense drafting a prospect at X only to redraft it again the year later.

I'm not calling for end of the world but I am not fooling myself thinking we put ourselves over the top this offseason.

I might not look forward to next years draft lol

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
(Un)Fortunately I've been active outside the house so I wasn't able to chime/rant as much as I usually do. Allow me to put you all through my misery of a posting.

1 30(30) J. Ward DS Northern Illinois - I'm sorry I just don't like it... I felt more comfortable with other CBs playing CBs however we'll see what he can do. My new signature stays til proven otherwise.
2 25(57) C. Hyde RB Ohio State - After the initial panic attack, this one left me in an ambulance... S then RB? two areas that had no business of addressing this early. What it tells me though is the condition of Lattimore thus I can understand it but I don't like it. Hyde is a good player, nothing wrong or questionable about that but the position of need, I'm not thrilled.
3 6(70) M. Martin - USC - Finally I like a pick! This guy hopefully starts from day 1. Surprised he lasted that long TBH
3 13(77) C. Borland ILB Wisconsin - Most are not happy but I can understand the ILB fill in with Bowman's absence and steady pace recovery(no rush Bow!) He won't be flashy but he'll be good for us IMO. However I think there were other prospects like an Archer that could've been had and that's where the :( would be placed on Borland.
3 36(100) B. Thomas OG Clemson - THATS a Baalke pick. Great move IMO, and really a team like us could afford. I am preparing myself for a Iupati dismissel or a Boone departure... tough breaks.
4 6(106) B. Ellington WR South Carolina - Not really for or against, I count 4 WRs already, 5 if Osgood is deemed a WR thus making Ellington 6. Lets see what he can do.
4 29(129) D. Johnson DC North Carolina State - This is the pick that has MY most eye on. After hearing about him through Mel/Todd review, I like it and sold. His size is what I was looking for in a CB in this draft so lets see it happen. I did want Desir really badly though.
5 10(150) A. Lynch DE SOUTH FLORIDA - A lot are on potential with this headcase so I have to lean towards others' opinions/projections. Is he a straight DE or a pass rusher OLB?
5 30(170) K. Reaser DC Florida Atlantic - Redshirt and another possible CB help.

I graded a C. Sorry I did not enjoy this draft. I felt we did nothing to win the SB this year but what we did is retool and started preparing for the future. Its not a matter of big name picks but immediate impact players that can help this team and we had the ammo(picks) to make the moves to do so. We didn't and will likely cut a lot of these picks. For that I'm bummed.

I think Baalke or Harbaugh needs to actually understand this isn't the collegiate level where you add 100 guys lol... its not sense drafting a prospect at X only to redraft it again the year later.

I'm not calling for end of the world but I am not fooling myself thinking we put ourselves over the top this offseason.

Lynch is right there with Clowney when you talk athleticism. But he is a head case. If he gets his head fixed, he could be a HUGE asset.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hyde could become incredibly important to this team. Gore will presumably remain the starter, but if we can bring in a bruiser with some talent late in games when defenses are already banged up, that's going to be huge for this team. Not to mention that he's got considerable experience running a form of the read-option, which could allow him and Kap to both gash teams late in games.

If Lattimore can get close to his old form, and we truly rotate our RBs and keep them fresh, that will do a lot for this team. Combine that with a more physical presence at center (frankly, regardless of whether it's Kilgore or Martin), and our running game could be even better than it's been over the past couple years. So I think there is a chance this draft could have some immediate impact.

Re: Lattimore, I think his statement has been a bit overblown. Yes, it's a concern that he said he doesn't have his burst back, but what he said after that was he didn't believe that would come back until he was in a game and had the adrenaline going. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet. I just hope we actually do utilize more RBs than just Gore.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well every expert had the 49ers with an A or B...and Hyde was a need, James is gone and not a RB in This league. Hunter is in the last year of his contract and Lattimore just said he lost explosiveness and speed. So we go out and get the best RB in the draft who fits our offense perfectly and that's not a need? Next year gore, James and maybe hunter are all gone that leaves us with Hyde and Lattimore, it sure was a big need