• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final Grade: 49ers Draft

Final Grade: 49ers Draft

• A

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • B

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • C

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Solid B

After the initial shock I do really like the Ward pick and he has the makings to be a big part of our secondary. For now he'll fill that slot CB spot that has been a sore spot and in the near future he could him and Reid can make for a fearsome duo in the Safety spot. Also it's great to have a ballhawk since that has been one thing lacking from our secondary.

Loved the Martin pick as it has potential to be a day 1 starter and Center was a major weakness in our line last season which I thought diminished our play across the entire o line. If Martin or Kilgore can be effective starters at C than our offensive line could be tops in the league like in 12.

Not a fan of the Boreland pick not because he's a bad player but a 3rd is just too high for a guy that really has no shot to start for us.

Went heavy on the DBs but one we can stash on the NFI and I think Donatell is one of the best at coaching up DBs so I think if there is something to make out of them he can do it.

Like last year I liked the philosophy of taking talented guys that slid due to some issues. I firmly believe that if a team wants to be good for a long period of time they have to take some gambles on guys like that. I mean if you can develop just a couple of those guys into starters or even pro bowlers you would have gotten your value in spades from that pick.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope ward turns out to be solid for us. I just think it was a reach. He was graded out as a 2nd rd talent. I just don't like how small and lack of strength he has. Im not sure he wins the slot position. We will find out. I do think the kid has talent just don't know if it was a good 1st rd pick.

Why is Ward a reach? So if he was picked at 33 instead of 30 he's not a reach because 33 is in the 2nd round? By most accounts Ward was a low first to a mid 2nd round pick. Hardly a reach for Ward. Baalke drafted for need and got the best player there.

And he'll easily win the slot. He's the best cover DB the Niners have now. He's basically play the Honey Badger role for the Niners.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are building to stay good for along period of time but we are like a player away from winning it all and some times you need to go for the home run. Players like VD, Willis and J. Smith aren't getting younger. we also need a replacement for McDonald soon.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Ward a reach? So if he was picked at 33 instead of 30 he's not a reach because 33 is in the 2nd round? By most accounts Ward was a low first to a mid 2nd round pick. Hardly a reach for Ward. Baalke drafted for need and got the best player there.

And he'll easily win the slot. He's the best cover DB the Niners have now. He's basically play the Honey Badger role for the Niners.

My main thing is we should of moved up. we had the ammo. I think Ward was more of a late 2nd rd pick.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I hope ward turns out to be solid for us. I just think it was a reach. He was graded out as a 2nd rd talent. I just don't like how small and lack of strength he has. Im not sure he wins the slot position. We will find out. I do think the kid has talent just don't know if it was a good 1st rd pick.

It's splitting hairs to call him a reach when we picked him at 30.

Sure he was going to be there in the 2nd round but there is no guarantee that he was going to be there when we picked or we would've been able to trade up to get him.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are building to stay good for along period of time but we are like a player away from winning it all and some times you need to go for the home run. Players like VD, Willis and J. Smith aren't getting younger. we also need a replacement for McDonald soon.

So we're a player away and getting a replacement for an established starter is going to get us over the hump for this year??? That doesn't make any sense.

And Tank is the backup/replacement for Cowboy/McDonald.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most I saw was late 2nd to mid 2nd.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's splitting hairs to call him a reach when we picked him at 30.

Sure he was going to be there in the 2nd round but there is no guarantee that he was going to be there when we picked or we would've been able to trade up to get him.

very true

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main thing is we should of moved up. we had the ammo. I think Ward was more of a late 2nd rd pick.

For who? Dennard isn't a Niners type of CB and Verrett would be a slot CB just like Ward. Difference is Ward would start at S eventually why also being able to cover the slot. Fuller might be converted to S. And there's no way in hell the Niners trade up for Gilbert.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C+. Ward seems like a reach and that matters if you do a weighted grading. Niners probably should've traded up at some point.

Hyde seems like a good enough pick but only if you guys cut Gore which...I dont know about that. You guys have spent too many picks on RBs, imo, considering their value in the league today.

Borland and Ellington are great picks. Thomas is also a really good pick and might be a better backup OT than G

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's there to take on blockers so the LB's can tackle an RB. He's not helping the pass rushers during actual passing downs cuz he's off the field.

Would Borland start for the Niners if Bowman was healthy, I don't think so. Nix would probably start at NT from the start. Sure on an obvious passing down you may sit Nix but you wouldn't have to for a guy his size he's fairly athletic.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Borland start for the Niners if Bowman was healthy, I don't think so. Nix would probably start at NT from the start. Sure on an obvious passing down you may sit Nix but you wouldn't have to for a guy his size he's fairly athletic.

Of course not. But you're forgetting about special teams. Nix isn't playing ST. Niners lost a huge ST guy when Boobie Dixon left. Borland is a great replacement for him. And can you be sure that Bowman will be back to his old self? Borland is great insurance.

And Nix is sitting in nickel. Niners aren't benching guys that can rush the passer.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. But you're forgetting about special teams. Nix isn't playing ST. Niners lost a huge ST guy when Boobie Dixon left. Borland is a great replacement for him. And can you be sure that Bowman will be back to his old self? Borland is great insurance.

And Nix is sitting in nickel. Niners aren't benching guys that can rush the passer.

Nix would start in the Niners base defense, Borland would not, sure Borland is great insurance, Nix is a starter.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't forgotten about special teams but advocating not drafting a starter for a special teams player doesn't make sense. Plus the Niners could have probably gotten both.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nix would start in the Niners base defense, Borland would not, sure Borland is great insurance, Nix is a starter.

He might start. No guantees that he is better then what the Niners have now. And even if he did he would play less then half the snaps. So big deal. Getting a guy that can help in the run game isn't high on my list of niners needs.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know I'm pretty tired of watching Lynch run on the defense he averaged 5 yards a carry in the NFC Title game. He might start ok, I'm pretty sure he's better than Williams, Dial or Dorsey. I'm sorry but I'm not in favor of drafting a guy that is going to basically play special teams. Also I could be wrong but I feel like the 49ers stay in their base 3-4 defense a lot more than many teams might because of the abilities of their two MLB's.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave it a B.

I can't give it an A because I don't think we did enough to help our CB's this year. I think Ward will be a nice addition as the nickel. And I like Dontae Johnson's size, but it looks like he's more of a project and shouldn't have a significant role this year. Keith Reaser is going to be red-shirted. Good strategy, but it isn't going to help us this year. That leaves us with Brock and scumbag Culliver as the starters, which doesn't look very good on paper. Hopefully Baalke sees something in them that I don't.

I loved the Hyde pick. My favorite is Martin, who I expect to start this year. Not a fan of the Borland pick at all. I liked Thomas. And we found our punt returner in Ellington.

The 4th round swindle was amazing. Overall, very good draft. But we still could have done more about CB.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Filled in nearly every hole with depth, we did better than most including Seattle!! We cant miss on high picks!! Go 49ers!!