• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final Grade: 49ers Draft

Final Grade: 49ers Draft

• A

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • B

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • C

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hyde could become incredibly important to this team. Gore will presumably remain the starter, but if we can bring in a bruiser with some talent late in games when defenses are already banged up, that's going to be huge for this team. Not to mention that he's got considerable experience running a form of the read-option, which could allow him and Kap to both gash teams late in games.

If Lattimore can get close to his old form, and we truly rotate our RBs and keep them fresh, that will do a lot for this team. Combine that with a more physical presence at center (frankly, regardless of whether it's Kilgore or Martin), and our running game could be even better than it's been over the past couple years. So I think there is a chance this draft could have some immediate impact.

Re: Lattimore, I think his statement has been a bit overblown. Yes, it's a concern that he said he doesn't have his burst back, but what he said after that was he didn't believe that would come back until he was in a game and had the adrenaline going. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet. I just hope we actually do utilize more RBs than just Gore.

yes, ANY player that pans out is "incredibly important", and Hyde is no exception. yes he could be huge to this team and if he can pass protect, wow!

for THIS season mainly focus on ball security (short yardage) and learn pass protect. next season you'll certainly get more reps if not start.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hyde could become incredibly important to this team. Gore will presumably remain the starter, but if we can bring in a bruiser with some talent late in games when defenses are already banged up, that's going to be huge for this team. Not to mention that he's got considerable experience running a form of the read-option, which could allow him and Kap to both gash teams late in games.

If Lattimore can get close to his old form, and we truly rotate our RBs and keep them fresh, that will do a lot for this team. Combine that with a more physical presence at center (frankly, regardless of whether it's Kilgore or Martin), and our running game could be even better than it's been over the past couple years. So I think there is a chance this draft could have some immediate impact.

Re: Lattimore, I think his statement has been a bit overblown. Yes, it's a concern that he said he doesn't have his burst back, but what he said after that was he didn't believe that would come back until he was in a game and had the adrenaline going. I'm not ready to give up on him just yet. I just hope we actually do utilize more RBs than just Gore.

I would wait until after the off-season camps and him getting in on plays and running with team then see how he feels. He needs some game time before knowing how he will be.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Un)Fortunately I've been active outside the house so I wasn't able to chime/rant as much as I usually do. Allow me to put you all through my misery of a posting.

1 30(30) J. Ward DS Northern Illinois - I'm sorry I just don't like it... I felt more comfortable with other CBs playing CBs however we'll see what he can do. My new signature stays til proven otherwise.
2 25(57) C. Hyde RB Ohio State - After the initial panic attack, this one left me in an ambulance... S then RB? two areas that had no business of addressing this early. What it tells me though is the condition of Lattimore thus I can understand it but I don't like it. Hyde is a good player, nothing wrong or questionable about that but the position of need, I'm not thrilled.
3 6(70) M. Martin - USC - Finally I like a pick! This guy hopefully starts from day 1. Surprised he lasted that long TBH
3 13(77) C. Borland ILB Wisconsin - Most are not happy but I can understand the ILB fill in with Bowman's absence and steady pace recovery(no rush Bow!) He won't be flashy but he'll be good for us IMO. However I think there were other prospects like an Archer that could've been had and that's where the :( would be placed on Borland.
3 36(100) B. Thomas OG Clemson - THATS a Baalke pick. Great move IMO, and really a team like us could afford. I am preparing myself for a Iupati dismissel or a Boone departure... tough breaks.
4 6(106) B. Ellington WR South Carolina - Not really for or against, I count 4 WRs already, 5 if Osgood is deemed a WR thus making Ellington 6. Lets see what he can do.
4 29(129) D. Johnson DC North Carolina State - This is the pick that has MY most eye on. After hearing about him through Mel/Todd review, I like it and sold. His size is what I was looking for in a CB in this draft so lets see it happen. I did want Desir really badly though.
5 10(150) A. Lynch DE SOUTH FLORIDA - A lot are on potential with this headcase so I have to lean towards others' opinions/projections. Is he a straight DE or a pass rusher OLB?
5 30(170) K. Reaser DC Florida Atlantic - Redshirt and another possible CB help.
6 4(180) K. Acker DC Southern Methodist - I don't care
7 28(243) K. Ramsey DT Boston College - stopped watching
7 30(245) T. Millard FB Oklahoma - Marecic!!!

I graded a C. Sorry I did not enjoy this draft. I felt we did nothing to win the SB this year but what we did is retool and started preparing for the future. Its not a matter of big name picks but immediate impact players that can help this team and we had the ammo(picks) to make the moves to do so. We didn't and will likely cut a lot of these picks. For that I'm bummed.

I think Baalke or Harbaugh needs to actually understand this isn't the collegiate level where you add 100 guys lol... its not sense drafting a prospect at X only to redraft it again the year later.

I'm not calling for end of the world but I am not fooling myself thinking we put ourselves over the top this offseason.

I might not look forward to next years draft lol

you must not have gotten the memo, Jimmy war was drafted to be a slot corner. also, please explain what is wrong with drafting a running back. Latimore is unproven and unhealthy, while Gore has one season left. What's wrong with getting the top running back in the draft?

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you must not have gotten the memo, Jimmy war was drafted to be a slot corner. also, please explain what is wrong with drafting a running back. Latimore is unproven and unhealthy, while Gore has one season left. What's wrong with getting the top running back in the draft?

Because it's not the name CB or WR that will take the Niners to a championship. Silly. As if Dennard/Fuller/Verrett was the answer.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

That's really the million dollar question here is if that first step will really return and it's gone for good due to injury or if it's just something like he said and it's more mental than anything and he just needs to strap on those pads, take a few shots, and knock off all that rust he's accumulated.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If we factor the Johnson trade into this draft (and I don't necessarily think we should, per se), we could see instant impact at center, WR, and RB, in addition to some really promising depth. Biggest concern is at CB, but Baalke seems confident in our guys. If Brock can play the way he did last year - or even continue to improve - we should be just fine at one spot. Pretty big questions at the other, though.

Has anyone else noticed how pretty much every year Baalke says they don't like the CB class? I vividly remember it happening last year, and then he said it again this year. We ever going to like a CB within the first three rounds of the draft?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's really the million dollar question here is if that first step will really return and it's gone for good due to injury or if it's just something like he said and it's more mental than anything and he just needs to strap on those pads, take a few shots, and knock off all that rust he's accumulated.

Yeah, we'll see. I'm excited to see what our RBs do. There's going to be absolutely fierce competition for snaps, even in the preseason.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Has anyone else noticed how pretty much every year Baalke says they don't like the CB class? I vividly remember it happening last year, and then he said it again this year. We ever going to like a CB within the first three rounds of the draft?

Well so far he's been proven right about last year's class because off hand I can't think of any CBs that have really stood out aside from Mathieu but he didn't really play the role of you're outside corner.

Baalke seems to have a pretty good feel for secondary guys so I tend to trust him in that aspect. WR on the other hand.....well that's another story.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well so far he's been proven right about last year's class because off hand I can't think of any CBs that have really stood out aside from Mathieu but he didn't really play the role of you're outside corner.

Baalke seems to have a pretty good feel for secondary guys so I tend to trust him in that aspect. WR on the other hand.....well that's another story.

Yeah, that's fair.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers are getting a lot of rave about this draft class. I don't know if that is a good thing. last year most experts didn't like are draft or hated that we drafted Reid and BOOM Reid is a pro bowler. Lets Hope this class turns out to be a great class.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Drafting a RB that early is an indication of Lattimore's progress...

Gore, Hyde, Hunter, Lattimore, LMJ(do any contribute to STs on coverages? barely returns)... how damn backs are needed? while we did not address WR via draft or CB which were the forefront of needs n weaknesses of the team.

Hyde is unproven, no different than Lattimore. Will Hyde be good sure, but was it a need now? nope.

Like I said, this draft didn't put us over the top... it was tailored for the future.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gore, Hyde, Hunter, Lattimore, LMJ(do any contribute to STs on coverages? barely returns)... how damn backs are needed? while we did not address WR via draft or CB which were the forefront of needs n weaknesses of the team.

Hyde is unproven, no different than Lattimore. Will Hyde be good sure, but was it a need now? nope.

Like I said, this draft didn't put us over the top... it was tailored for the future.

We added Stevie FRIKIN Johnson, who needs a rookie? Gore broke down late in the season and will be gone after this one, Hunter will also be gone, and I'm not sure James even makes it to camp.
Adding the top rb in this draft (a damn good one) was a bpa pick that fits what we do on offense. Worst cast we run with him and Lattimore, you need at least two solid rb's. An extreme need, no, an excellent pick, FUCK YEAH!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

If Lattimore isn't 100%, then it is a need, and a pretty big one IMO. Although I really like him, the team doesn't seem to love using Hunter. Gore is getting older and (to me, at least) clearly got hurt in the NFCCG. Once that happened, our ground game disappeared. The year before, he broke down a bit heading into the playoffs. Lattimore is a major question mark. Even if he said he was 100%, that's a big risk. Hyde was great value if he lives up to his potential. I don't have any problem with the pick, or with drafting for the future. The WRs most of us wanted there would have had minimal impact in 2014 anyway.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Lattimore isn't 100%, then it is a need, and a pretty big one IMO. Although I really like him, the team doesn't seem to love using Hunter. Gore is getting older and (to me, at least) clearly got hurt in the NFCCG. Once that happened, our ground game disappeared. The year before, he broke down a bit heading into the playoffs. Lattimore is a major question mark. Even if he said he was 100%, that's a big risk. Hyde was great value if he lives up to his potential. I don't have any problem with the pick, or with drafting for the future. The WRs most of us wanted there would have had minimal impact in 2014 anyway.

And we added Stevie FRIKIN Johnson! A 2nd rookie vs Stevie Johnson for a 2015 3rd.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well you would be wrong, because we got our center who might start this year. Ward will basically be starting this year and we got Stevie J. who is starting. And the guy who has a chance to start is D. Johnson, the kid is big tough ass corner. So we got players that will make an impact this season and players that will be our future, like Hyde, who will be the starting RB next season. That is exactly how you draft, and that's why the 49ers had one of the best drafts from multiple experts and websites from what I read..Oh and Ellington who more then likely will be our starting KR and PR, so you need to go look again.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you would be wrong, because we got our center who might start this year. Ward will basically be starting this year and we got Stevie J. who is starting. And the guy who has a chance to start is D. Johnson, the kid is big tough ass corner. So we got players that will make an impact this season and players that will be our future, like Hyde, who will be the starting RB next season. That is exactly how you draft, and that's why the 49ers had one of the best drafts from multiple experts and websites from what I read..Oh and Ellington who more then likely will be our starting KR and PR, so you need to go look again.

wrong about what?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
wrong about what?

To respond to your post that he was quoting, we addressed WR through trade and the draft. Stevie Johnson will do more in the immediate future than any rookie was likely to, and Ellington was quite highly regarded by a number of people and could have gone in the late-2nd round. He could move into a prominent role when Crabtree and Boldin depart, as seems likely.

As far as CB, you have to view Ward as a pick to address that position, at least in the immediate future. And he was our first pick. His initial position will be covering the slot, which was a huge area of need for us as neither Brock nor Culliver has much experience there. I would have probably gone back to CB again earlier than Baalke did, but it looks like we got some good value and interesting players from the 4th round on.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To respond to your post that he was quoting, we addressed WR through trade and the draft. Stevie Johnson will do more in the immediate future than any rookie was likely to, and Ellington was quite highly regarded by a number of people and could have gone in the late-2nd round. He could move into a prominent role when Crabtree and Boldin depart, as seems likely.

As far as CB, you have to view Ward as a pick to address that position, at least in the immediate future. And he was our first pick. His initial position will be covering the slot, which was a huge area of need for us as neither Brock nor Culliver has much experience there. I would have probably gone back to CB again earlier than Baalke did, but it looks like we got some good value and interesting players from the 4th round on.

Nice job to sum it up, he was wrong on a lot

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice job to sum it up, he was wrong on a lot

everyone has his opinion on how much these rookies will play, but everyone is projecting. so if you think a lot of reps, then obviously you think you're right. but if they don't play a lot of reps, then the other opinion is right.

this class will contribute but will it be enough to say "for the immediate"? IMO these guys WILL do most of the contribution "in the future", ie starting next season? they're more for the future and nothing wrong with that.

Martin hasn't beaten out Kilgore and I'd have to think Kilgore has a huge knowledge advantage? he also has a little advantage having played in the NFL, and playing/practicing with fellow linemen (chemistry).

Dontae Johnson might be a good player to come, but what are the odds he plays THIS season? are we expecting him to beat out Culliver THIS season? beat out Cox and Wright?

Hyde will get reps but really, the Coaches can't help but trust Gore.

S. Johnson will contribute, but is he really part of this rookie class? but ok, say he is, how many times will they go 3 wide? Harbaugh saying they'll increase it doesn't mean they're changing a lot to 3 wide.

who else in this rookie class will get reps?

so again, they'll contribute but next season even more. by then Martin will likely be the starting C and Hyde the starting RB. Crabs will likely be gone, leaving a starting spot to S. Johnson. Thomas would have a chance to be the LG, with Iupati likely leaving.