• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Final Grade: 49ers Draft

Final Grade: 49ers Draft

• A

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • B

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • C

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
everyone has his opinion on how much these rookies will play, but everyone is projecting. so if you think a lot of reps, then obviously you think you're right. but if they don't play a lot of reps, then the other opinion is right.

this class will contribute but will it be enough to say "for the immediate"? IMO these guys WILL do most of the contribution "in the future", ie starting next season? they're more for the future and nothing wrong with that.

Martin hasn't beaten out Kilgore and I'd have to think Kilgore has a huge knowledge advantage? he also has a little advantage having played in the NFL, and playing/practicing with fellow linemen (chemistry).

Dontae Johnson might be a good player to come, but what are the odds he plays THIS season? are we expecting him to beat out Culliver THIS season? beat out Cox and Wright?

Hyde will get reps but really, the Coaches can't help but trust Gore.

S. Johnson will contribute, but is he really part of this rookie class? but ok, say he is, how many times will they go 3 wide? Harbaugh saying they'll increase it doesn't mean they're changing a lot to 3 wide.

who else in this rookie class will get reps?

so again, they'll contribute but next season even more. by then Martin will likely be the starting C and Hyde the starting RB. Crabs will likely be gone, leaving a starting spot to S. Johnson. Thomas would have a chance to be the LG, with Iupati likely leaving.

There's no doubt this draft - as with all drafts, or at least all good ones - is more geared toward the future than next year. And I didn't mean to call Calamity out as being wrong as such, I just see Baalke as doing more to address our two primary needs (CB and WR) than he does.

This roster was incredibly talented and incredibly deep going into the draft. Outside of CB, third WR, and center, we weren't likely to get an immediate impact guy. Frankly, we addressed our immediate needs better than I expected. Only time will tell how much guys like Hyde, M. Martin, Ward, and even Stevie Johnson will play this year, but it's reasonable to expect some contributions from all of them.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
everyone has his opinion on how much these rookies will play, but everyone is projecting. so if you think a lot of reps, then obviously you think you're right. but if they don't play a lot of reps, then the other opinion is right.

this class will contribute but will it be enough to say "for the immediate"? IMO these guys WILL do most of the contribution "in the future", ie starting next season? they're more for the future and nothing wrong with that.

Martin hasn't beaten out Kilgore and I'd have to think Kilgore has a huge knowledge advantage? he also has a little advantage having played in the NFL, and playing/practicing with fellow linemen (chemistry).

Dontae Johnson might be a good player to come, but what are the odds he plays THIS season? are we expecting him to beat out Culliver THIS season? beat out Cox and Wright?

S. Johnson will contribute, but is he really part of this rookie class? but ok, say he is, how many times will they go 3 wide? Harbaugh saying they'll increase it doesn't mean they're changing a lot to 3 wide.

so again, they'll contribute but next season even more. by then Martin will likely be the starting C and Hyde the starting RB. Crabs will likely be gone, leaving a starting spot to S. Johnson. Thomas would have a chance to be the LG, with Iupati likely leaving.

Borland will be huge for us while Bowman is out. The dude is a ball player that will take that spoy from Wilhoite. Ward will also play a huge role from day 1, no doubt about it.
I also have to believe that Ellington will be returning punts for us, a problem area for us without Ginn.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Borland will be huge for us while Bowman is out. The dude is a ball player that will take that spoy from Wilhoite. Ward will also play a huge role from day 1, no doubt about it.
I also have to believe that Ellington will be returning punts for us, a problem area for us without Ginn.

I'm sure Borland can play but if I had bet today, Wilhoite will start over Borland.

yes Ellington will be given a chance to return punts, and IF he wins the job that's contributing. but how many punts are returned per game, what is the percentage of snaps? btw - want him to secure the ball first and foremost. catch it clean, secure it. :-)

yes, Ward will get 60% of the snaps, and will certainly contribute. but is 60% enough to raise this draft CLASS for the 'immediate'? wasn't the topic contribution by this CLASS?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm sure Borland can play but if I had bet today, Wilhoite will start over Borland.

yes Ellington will be given a chance to return punts, and IF he wins the job that's contributing. but how many punts are returned per game, what is the percentage of snaps? btw - want him to secure the ball first and foremost. catch it clean, secure it. :-)

yes, Ward will get 60% of the snaps, and will certainly contribute. but is 60% enough to raise this draft CLASS for the 'immediate'? wasn't the topic contribution by this CLASS?

What positions could we have addressed that would have satisfied your "immediate" qualifier if 60% of snaps isn't enough?

Then, what players could have filled those positions with our picks?

My thoughts:
We had one "hole" on the team, and that was at C, and some questions at CB. According to many reports we got the best C in the draft, so if Martin isn't a solution, there isn't one there. That leaves us with CB. Was Bradley Roby going to start over Brock, or Cully?

There was a lot of calls for a WR. By the time we were on the clock, what WR was going to come in and displace Crabtree or Boldin in the first round? By day 2, what WR was going to come in and displace Crabtree, Boldin or Johnson?

Lamenting that we didn't get a guy that will contribute immediately based on playing something mor than 60% of the snaps is ridiculous for this team.

Especially considering that in 2011 Aldon Smith played only 48.2% of snaps. Did he not have an immediate contribution?

When we talk about "immediate contribution" we need to go a little deeper than "percentage of snaps." Haralson had more snaps than Smith in 2011. Who had more impact?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What positions could we have addressed that would have satisfied your "immediate" qualifier if 60% of snaps isn't enough?

Then, what players could have filled those positions with our picks?

My thoughts:
We had one "hole" on the team, and that was at C, and some questions at CB. According to many reports we got the best C in the draft, so if Martin isn't a solution, there isn't one there. That leaves us with CB. Was Bradley Roby going to start over Brock, or Cully?

There was a lot of calls for a WR. By the time we were on the clock, what WR was going to come in and displace Crabtree or Boldin in the first round? By day 2, what WR was going to come in and displace Crabtree, Boldin or Johnson?

Lamenting that we didn't get a guy that will contribute immediately based on playing something mor than 60% of the snaps is ridiculous for this team.

Especially considering that in 2011 Aldon Smith played only 48.2% of snaps. Did he not have an immediate contribution?

When we talk about "immediate contribution" we need to go a little deeper than "percentage of snaps." Haralson had more snaps than Smith in 2011. Who had more impact?

What Mac said :der:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Umm Stevie Johnson is a pro bowl WR who is 27 and in 6 years has had 3 straight years of 1,000+ yards and 6+Td's, they will go 3 wide a lot...So trying to discount SJ is just dumb. Crabtree has been dinged up since he came into the league, right now Stevie is more consistent and he played in Buffalo with shitty QB play...He may be just as valuable as our two starters

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Umm Stevie Johnson is a pro bowl WR who is 27 and in 6 years has had 3 straight years of 1,000+ yards and 6+Td's, they will go 3 wide a lot...So trying to discount SJ is just dumb. Crabtree has been dinged up since he came into the league, right now Stevie is more consistent and he played in Buffalo with shitty QB play...He may be just as valuable as our two starters

you will see it on 'obvious passing downs', but wouldn't expect it to be much more. they'll increase 3 wide but that doesn't mean a lot? it doesn't mean a lot because our reference point is low. we must've ran 3 wide one of the least in the NFL?

what do you consider a lot, increasing it by 10%, by 20%, other?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C/C+ IMO.

The only two picks in terms of value I liked were Carlos Hyde and Bruce Ellington. Ellington I think if used right can be a good weapon in this offense, and both guys are able to contribute right away.

The rest of the draft is extremely MEH. I have no idea what we're supposed to do with 12 players.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
C/C+ IMO.

The only two picks in terms of value I liked were Carlos Hyde and Bruce Ellington. Ellington I think if used right can be a good weapon in this offense, and both guys are able to contribute right away.

The rest of the draft is extremely MEH. I have no idea what we're supposed to do with 12 players.

3 of the 12 will likely be redshirted effectively making them picks for next year and leaving us with 9 players.

But even 9 players is overkill and I do question if we should've been more aggressive in trading up or trading for picks next year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 of the 12 will likely be redshirted effectively making them picks for next year and leaving us with 9 players.

But even 9 players is overkill and I do question if we should've been more aggressive in trading up or trading for picks next year.

But at some point we need players to contribute NOW. We're not a rebuilding team just looking to fill the depth chart and have red-shirted potential on the bench every year. We're on the cusp of winning a Superbowl, and with the picks we had I though we could've maneuvered to grab a few guys that can help us with that.

Even Carlos Hyde, who's the most ready to help TODAY, will be battling to get on the field with two or three other RBs. And all the DBs - Ward, Johnson, Acker, and Reaser. Are we just throwing darts at the board hoping one would hit the target?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But at some point we need players to contribute NOW. We're not a rebuilding team just looking to fill the depth chart and have red-shirted potential on the bench every year. We're on the cusp of winning a Superbowl, and with the picks we had I though we could've maneuvered to grab a few guys that can help us with that.

Even Carlos Hyde, who's the most ready to help TODAY, will be battling to get on the field with two or three other RBs. And all the DBs - Ward, Johnson, Acker, and Reaser. Are we just throwing darts at the board hoping one would hit the target?

careful now, you may get challenged.... :suds:

(all correct points IMO, didn't see this draft haul as something that put us over the top but rather setting up for the future)....

I really question the mindset of the Baalke/Harbs here... Baalke been here for awhile, Harbs may have that NCAA mentality where he can stash n stash...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
C/C+ IMO.

We're going to cut some guys who can play in the league. That's a given Hell, I could see us cutting a starting caliber OL this year. Maybe even a lower-level starting safety (Dahl?). But Ward, Hyde, Martin, Borland, and Ellington are basically all locks to make the roster - particularly early in the year when Bowman is out at ILB. Thomas will probably go on the NFI list. Reaser and Millard might as well. With Aldon likely to start the year on a (potentially lengthy) suspension, there is a great chance for Lynch to claim the fourth OLB spot. Ramsey's only real shot is the PS, IMO. That's ten of the twelve guys, and I'd think all but one have a good shot to make the roster in some fashion (including the injury lists; too tough to call PS at this point).

Then we've got a battle royale at the CB spot, where we desperately need some guys to step up. Again, we're probably going to cut a couple guys at that position who can play, but given that we have no truly established starters, and didn't draft an outside corner until the 4th round, I think it's a smart move to play the numbers game. Let these guys compete and see what shakes out. Just don't try to squirrel away a promising player so you can trade Cam Johnson for a 7th rounder (read: don't do what we did with Marcus Cooper last year).

I agree the pure numbers were a bit of a head-scratcher, but I've got to think they were trying to trade into next year without much success. Only five 2015 picks changed hands in this draft - not counting the two trades for vets, which were basically independent of this draft (though the Eagles also got a 7th rounder for Brown, I think). The Niners got one of them. It seems like teams are pretty reluctant to give away future picks these days.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Isn't everyone everyone throwing darts hoping to hit? I'm disappointed Reaser is expected to be out for the year. It seems Baalke has taken the path of being relevance rather than the go all in approach. I didn't read through the thread but what would you have done? Trade up for Gilbert?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that we draft 1 or 2 redshirt guys every year. Guys we draft when hurt were 1st-2nd rd talents that fall because of the Injury. I think this is a good plan. I do agree that we could of used some star power from this draft and could of made the moves but it seems like Ward will play right away from what the coaches have said and last year we made a move to get a Now player with Reid.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: Wilhoite will be the starter over Borland. Unless injury happens.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're going to cut some guys who can play in the league. That's a given Hell, I could see us cutting a starting caliber OL this year. Maybe even a lower-level starting safety (Dahl?). But Ward, Hyde, Martin, Borland, and Ellington are basically all locks to make the roster - particularly early in the year when Bowman is out at ILB. Thomas will probably go on the NFI list. Reaser and Millard might as well. With Aldon likely to start the year on a (potentially lengthy) suspension, there is a great chance for Lynch to claim the fourth OLB spot. Ramsey's only real shot is the PS, IMO. That's ten of the twelve guys, and I'd think all but one have a good shot to make the roster in some fashion (including the injury lists; too tough to call PS at this point).

Then we've got a battle royale at the CB spot, where we desperately need some guys to step up. Again, we're probably going to cut a couple guys at that position who can play, but given that we have no truly established starters, and didn't draft an outside corner until the 4th round, I think it's a smart move to play the numbers game. Let these guys compete and see what shakes out. Just don't try to squirrel away a promising player so you can trade Cam Johnson for a 7th rounder (read: don't do what we did with Marcus Cooper last year).

I agree the pure numbers were a bit of a head-scratcher, but I've got to think they were trying to trade into next year without much success. Only five 2015 picks changed hands in this draft - not counting the two trades for vets, which were basically independent of this draft (though the Eagles also got a 7th rounder for Brown, I think). The Niners got one of them. It seems like teams are pretty reluctant to give away future picks these days.

That's the only thing I was thinking. Obviously none of us are there in the war room and we'll never know exactly what the thought process was but going in with 11 picks I was hoping for no more than 7 players, and we ended up with 12. It's just a clusterfuck right now, especially at the DB position.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well we're about to see if we're hitting on the "Redshirts" looks like Tank will be our first of many candidates to prove this approach is the correct one.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't everyone everyone throwing darts hoping to hit? I'm disappointed Reaser is expected to be out for the year. It seems Baalke has taken the path of being relevance rather than the go all in approach. I didn't read through the thread but what would you have done? Trade up for Gilbert?

Not necessarily Gilbert. We could've traded up for numerous players at different parts of the draft or hell, trade back into the '15 draft.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I'm not completely disagreeing with you but I will say the roster is good enough to win now.

If CK takes a step forward in his development and the offensive staff improves in the passing aspect of our offense we are easily in the top 3 of teams in the league.

I do think we should've been more aggressive and tried to grab a guy like Beckham or Cooks who could've added a much needed element of speed to our offense but other than that there really wasn't a lot of guys that would've walked in to be day 1 starters and had a major impact.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not completely disagreeing with you but I will say the roster is good enough to win now.

If CK takes a step forward in his development and the offensive staff improves in the passing aspect of our offense we are easily in the top 3 of teams in the league.

I do think we should've been more aggressive and tried to grab a guy like Beckham or Cooks who could've added a much needed element of speed to our offense but other than that there really wasn't a lot of guys that would've walked in to be day 1 starters and had a major impact.

One thing about have 'too many' guys - it's does create competition but does it give it enough time/reps for players to, 1) prove themselves and 2) get better?

At this juncture we needed quality over quantity. I'm not saying we didn't get quality but I thought we could've gotten even better at a bunch of different spots in the draft.