• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Favorite Reads

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my copy, but I just started the Gentleman Bastards, so I think I will finish those first and then dive into it. I am loving that series
I enjoyed Gentlemen Bastards. I am looking forward to the next one, whenever that comes out.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone read Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn? It is the first book of the Tales of the Otori series. I just finished the audiobook, very beautifully written and a different kind of fantasy in a traditional Japanese fashion. Really good. I am going to have to go through the rest of them.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone read the Sandman Slim books? Patrick Rothfuss gave them good reviews on Goodreads and I am thinking about diving into the first book. Kind of makes me think of the Dresden Files.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has anyone read the Sandman Slim books? Patrick Rothfuss gave them good reviews on Goodreads and I am thinking about diving into the first book. Kind of makes me think of the Dresden Files.

I have read them all, they are pretty good overall, I remember the opening chapter of the book pulled me in more than most I have read. The rest while still good does not hold up so much.

Lack of chapters can make them feel like they just run in as it is all the internal monologue of the main character.

A pretty fun take on the anti hero though, and his world building was very unique.

Edit: while I realize that I said opening chapter and then claimed no chapters, I internally flagged something as a chapters on my own for my own sanity

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read them all, they are pretty good overall, I remember the opening chapter of the book pulled me in more than most I have read. The rest while still good does not hold up so much.

Lack of chapters can make them feel like they just run in as it is all the internal monologue of the main character.

A pretty fun take on the anti hero though, and his world building was very unique.

Edit: while I realize that I said opening chapter and then claimed no chapters, I internally flagged something as a chapters on my own for my own sanity
good info! thanks, man

I have a couple other books I need to get into first, so Sandman might be a fallback in the near future.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the series by Philip Reeve that starts with Mortal Engines? It seems like an interesting idea?

I have the 1st book reserved at my library.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno, I've read a few YA titles, but i try to avoid them.

Try Altered Carbon, the source material for the Netflix show dropping in Feb.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dunno, I've read a few YA titles, but i try to avoid them.

Try Altered Carbon, the source material for the Netflix show dropping in Feb.
You're drunk, chf. Call an Uber and go home.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At yep, off home.
Is this Canadian parlance?

I'm about to do work for an online class I'm taking for Winter Session. Actually, I'm deciding if I want to do work first, or if I want to finish 'Love and Mercy.' I've got 13 hours remaining on my Amazon rental, but I work tomorrow until 2 PM.

While I've got you, (and assuming you've seen it) did you like Brazil (4/5 stars)?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't seen Brazil since it came out. Since I'm old, my memory is fuzzy. I remember liking the attempt at something different.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished Oathbringer (Stormlight 3) from Sanderson. he just keeps getting better and better. This might be the most impressive series out there right now (largely due to the lazy fat hobbit and Rothfussy no longer writing). Only thing I'd bitch about is I did get a little tired of Kal and Shallan being "broken". Cry me a river. Stop being little bitches and move on. Rub some dirt in it and take a lap. it'll be great.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished Oathbringer (Stormlight 3) from Sanderson. he just keeps getting better and better. This might be the most impressive series out there right now (largely due to the lazy fat hobbit and Rothfussy no longer writing). Only thing I'd bitch about is I did get a little tired of Kal and Shallan being "broken". Cry me a river. Stop being little bitches and move on. Rub some dirt in it and take a lap. it'll be great.
I am about 400 pgs into Oathbringer

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You like it so far?
some chapters are better than others, but I am enjoying it so far. Sanderson is doing a good job of spreading out the story and giving everyone enough chapter time.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, it has me wanting to go home and pick the book up. I don't know the last time I had that going on...maybe Rothfuss's last book.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also, it has me wanting to go home and pick the book up. I don't know the last time I had that going on...maybe Rothfuss's last book.
Yep. I blew more than a few nights just sitting down with it. Miss it now that it's done and now we'll have a 2 year wait to pick it up again. At least Sanderson writes though. It's not like some piece of shit fat hobbits who take 10 years in between books.

What's going on with Rothfuss? He doesn't update and gets mad when people ask haha. Hope he doesn't turn out to be another Martin. His shit is beyond good.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I blew more than a few nights just sitting down with it. Miss it now that it's done and now we'll have a 2 year wait to pick it up again. At least Sanderson writes though. It's not like some piece of shit fat hobbits who take 10 years in between books.

What's going on with Rothfuss? He doesn't update and gets mad when people ask haha. Hope he doesn't turn out to be another Martin. His shit is beyond good.

I always feel like Kvothe is Uncle Rico in fantasy form. He is always talking about how he threw the football over them there mountains, but every part of the story that is not his recollection he does not do so well.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dunno. He stopped doing the podcast with the dude from Cards Against Humanity as well. He still pushes for his Worldbuilders charity and is active in other things, but I have no idea where he is with the writing.