• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think they'd be nuts to sign him. Not that he's not worth it, but he's unnecessary in that offense with what else they've got. Only way it makes sense if they redo Cooper's deal, or cut him post June 1st. Baring that, it's far too much cap space for one position. There's a metric shit ton of available WR's that could fill that third spot adequately.

They need to rebuild that Oline, and maybe get some Dline/edge rushers to allow Parsons to play middle LB instead of DE...not that he didn't do great at it, but the LB's suffered.
Regardless, WR is not a priority, and Gallup deserves better than whatever he'd have to settle for to stay in Dallas
Well the 22 million for Cooper is extreme, Lamb cost peanuts for now and of course Gallup is a free agent. So it's Coopers contract that inflates the cost of the position and yeah Lamb next contract well not be cheap. Seems to me moving Cooper would make the most sense, they are going to have to do that come time to extend or resign Lamb. The injury likely means a team friendly contract for who ever signs Gallup. Trading/cutting Cooper post June 1st means the Cowboys can save 20 million on the cap. That's a lot of savings for a team in the hole cap wise and resigning Gallup allows them to draft defensive players .
I'm a bit tore about what would be best for Gallup. Signing with a team where he can get more targets or resigning with the Cowboys, with Cooper getting moved. I lean towards him staying In Dallas where they have a decent QB and one that comfortable throwing to Gallup. Lamb can have the best corner guarding him and Gallup should do nicely with the defense worrying about Lamb.
So guess I don't think it's crazy to resign Gallup for the Cowboys, but then I've always liked Gallup potential.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the 22 million for Cooper is extreme, Lamb cost peanuts for now and of course Gallup is a free agent. So it's Coopers contract that inflates the cost of the position and yeah Lamb next contract well not be cheap. Seems to me moving Cooper would make the most sense, they are going to have to do that come time to extend or resign Lamb. The injury likely means a team friendly contract for who ever signs Gallup. Trading/cutting Cooper post June 1st means the Cowboys can save 20 million on the cap. That's a lot of savings for a team in the hole cap wise and resigning Gallup allows them to draft defensive players .
I'm a bit tore about what would be best for Gallup. Signing with a team where he can get more targets or resigning with the Cowboys, with Cooper getting moved. I lean towards him staying In Dallas where they have a decent QB and one that comfortable throwing to Gallup. Lamb can have the best corner guarding him and Gallup should do nicely with the defense worrying about Lamb.
So guess I don't think it's crazy to resign Gallup for the Cowboys, but then I've always liked Gallup potential.
Dallas saves more $ by moving Cooper...they also become a much worse offensive team with Gallup/Lamb/WRx, as oppossed to Cooper/Lamb/WRx.
Agreed he's excessive and priority number #1 should be doing something there, wether its a restructure or extension. But, what he brings to the table, is mire than what Gallup does..it'd be akin to cutting Megatron in order to resign Roy Williams (yeah a stretch, I'm aware Cooper is not Megatron..but..Gallup isn't Roy Williams either though).

And, like I said, restructure, extending Coopers numbers, and save 10-12 million..then sure give Gallup 8 of that and cut D. Lawrence post June. He's overpaid too for what they get out of him

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas saves more $ by moving Cooper...they also become a much worse offensive team with Gallup/Lamb/WRx, as oppossed to Cooper/Lamb/WRx.
Agreed he's excessive and priority number #1 should be doing something there, wether its a restructure or extension. But, what he brings to the table, is mire than what Gallup does..it'd be akin to cutting Megatron in order to resign Roy Williams (yeah a stretch, I'm aware Cooper is not Megatron..but..Gallup isn't Roy Williams either though).

And, like I said, restructure, extending Coopers numbers, and save 10-12 million..then sure give Gallup 8 of that and cut D. Lawrence post June. He's overpaid too for what they get out of him
Zeke, another option to restructure a ridiculous number

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well I've always been a Cooper doubter so there's that, but I think Coopers 865 yards for the season can be made up by cheaper options. Heck Schulz had 800 yards himself and as many TDs as Cooper last season ( Yes Schulz played 17 games vs 15 for Cooper but still...). Gallup injury has put a kink in what I felt was the plan of moving Cooper and going with a Lamb/Gallup/Wilson trio and that trio would of been just fine IMO. Cooper isn't worth anything close to what he's making and while you can say Cooper>Gallup it's really not like day and night, Gallup is a pretty good WR and Cooper isn't elite.
Ideally the Cowboys can find a way to keep all their weapons and not have to cut/trade any of them which means restructuring of a contract or several contracts of players with big cap hits. There are 7 contracts that fit that description on the Cowboys roster. Lawrence with a ridiculous 27 million cap hit would be the first I'd look at because that's QB level pay and the most out of line, then Zeke and Cooper contracts come next. The thing is Gallup contract won't be huge and the cost isn't the problem. The problem which needs to be dealt with are the top most cap hits where you have a few players making much more than is practical. Gallup or no Gallup the Cowboys will need to address that and once they do there shouldn't be any need to let Gallup walk as clearly he's a asset for them.

Last edited:

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas is an interesting situation.
They had the #1 offense and the #2 passing offense.
But their 2nd-best WR didn't even have 900 yards. (29 WR had more yards than Cooper.)
That doesn't usually translate well for fantasy owners for weekly production.
Fantasy owners need a reliable target, not someone who will split looks as the #3 receiver (between Cooper and Schultz).
If McCarthy continues to not favor the #2 WR consistently, and the offense fails to meet the plateau of 2021's offense (which is always hard to repeat), fantasy owners will be disappointed in whoever the WR2 will be.
:2cents:

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Cooper's 15 games played is technically a lot closer to 12.5 that he actually PLAYED in, than 15, but he did 'play' in 15 games.

Regardless of the numbers, he's still the guy, wether its because he's getting 10+ targets or if he's drawing the brackets and letting Lamb get 10+.
Gallup doesn't do that. I'd rather overpay Cooper and let Gallup walk, and take the compensatory pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was the Cowboys GM my first preference would be to keep all their WRs including Gallup and Wilson because depth matters and those two are at worse nice depth that could be developed and likely not expensive. The problem facing the Cowboys is they need to make cap space. Letting Gallup walk doesn't help a lick with the hole they are in, but fixing the cap is easily solvable and though I feel Cooper comes at a premium cost it doesn't have to come at his expense. Lawrence, Martin and Collins contracts could be where they fix their cap problem. Zeke contract would be difficult to massage for cap purposes so best to just ride with it as is. Doubt they want to ask Prescott to restructure since this is only year two for his contract, but it isn't completely out of the picture.
As for targets Cooper is closer to 8 per game through the last 3 seasons then 10. Prior to this season where he only played in 9 games Gallup had 105 (2020) targets and 113(2019( targets and Cooper 119(2020) and 130(2019) so yeah Cooper had more but not huge amount more. Gallup is younger and cheaper and his best is still to come and IMO we've already seen Coopers best.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget the fact that Dak has been exposed as not he's all cracked up to be.

Just sayin'. ;)

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was the Cowboys GM my first preference would be to keep all their WRs including Gallup and Wilson because depth matters and those two are at worse nice depth that could be developed and likely not expensive. The problem facing the Cowboys is they need to make cap space. Letting Gallup walk doesn't help a lick with the hole they are in, but fixing the cap is easily solvable and though I feel Cooper comes at a premium cost it doesn't have to come at his expense. Lawrence, Martin and Collins contracts could be where they fix their cap problem. Zeke contract would be difficult to massage for cap purposes so best to just ride with it as is. Doubt they want to ask Prescott to restructure since this is only year two for his contract, but it isn't completely out of the picture.
As for targets Cooper is closer to 8 per game through the last 3 seasons then 10. Prior to this season where he only played in 9 games Gallup had 105 (2020) targets and 113(2019( targets and Cooper 119(2020) and 130(2019) so yeah Cooper had more but not huge amount more. Gallup is younger and cheaper and his best is still to come and IMO we've already seen Coopers best.
Again, his numbers are skewed, more than a few games were he only was on the feild for a quarter or so, really throws off the per game averages.

Yes they need to redo his deal, it's an unrealistic contract, but Gallup is in no way in integral part of the offense. #2 passing offense last year right? Gallup barely touched the field half the year.. He's an unnecessary extravagance. Cooper is overpaid, but much more necessary.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, his numbers are skewed, more than a few games were he only was on the feild for a quarter or so, really throws off the per game averages.

Yes they need to redo his deal, it's an unrealistic contract, but Gallup is in no way in integral part of the offense. #2 passing offense last year right? Gallup barely touched the field half the year.. He's an unnecessary extravagance. Cooper is overpaid, but much more necessary.
Gallup only played in 9 games but got 62 target. I don't see how you say he barely touch the field (ball?). His two previous seasons over a hundred targets each time, and that was playing the 3rd receiver role and he has had a thousand yard season in 2019. I have zero doubts that if the Cowboys move Cooper then Gallup would exceed what Cooper did in 2019 or 2020 easily. The Cowboys are better off with returning their WR corp intact. FF owners are better served with a less crowded WR corp. We simply don't agree on which should get moved. Your rooting for Cooper and my money is on Gallup, but I'll admit his injury does lead to some question about recovery. Can he get back to 100%? How long does it take? On the other hand Cooper is 28 in June and 8 seasons of playing football is taking a toll and last season is an example of that IMO and it's only going to be down hill from last season. It does appear that the Cowboys want Gallup back, the term was------prioritize resigning Gallup. Sounds like they agree with my take of Gallup. ;)

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TREFF so...how is this gonna happen?

Or are we just in total coachspeak mode already?

Sports Illustrated's Mike Fisher reports the Cowboys are expected to prioritize re-signing WR Michael Gallup this offseason.​

With Amari Cooper owed a fully guaranteed $20 million salary and CeeDee Lamb a year away from being extension eligible, Dallas would need to mortgage cap space to keep Gallup. The Cowboys hope Gallup, who had surgery earlier this month and is targeting an August return, is open to a team friendly deal, with the 25-year-old potentially staying in Dallas on a one-year contract. Gallup's August timetable would be a best case scenario at six months removed from surgery. It's likely Gallup misses the start of training camp and he'll need a setback-free rehab to avoid opening the regular season on reserve/PUP.
I think the article is mistaken about the 20 million being guaranteed. That guarantee doesn't take effect until the 5th league day. League begins March 16th.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallup only played in 9 games but got 62 target. I don't see how you say he barely touch the field (ball?). His two previous seasons over a hundred targets each time, and that was playing the 3rd receiver role and he has had a thousand yard season in 2019. I have zero doubts that if the Cowboys move Cooper then Gallup would exceed what Cooper did in 2019 or 2020 easily. The Cowboys are better off with returning their WR corp intact. FF owners are better served with a less crowded WR corp. We simply don't agree on which should get moved. Your rooting for Cooper and my money is on Gallup, but I'll admit his injury does lead to some question about recovery. Can he get back to 100%? How long does it take? On the other hand Cooper is 28 in June and 8 seasons of playing football is taking a toll and last season is an example of that IMO and it's only going to be down hill from last season. It does appear that the Cowboys want Gallup back, the term was------prioritize resigning Gallup. Sounds like they agree with my take of Gallup. ;)
Well, you got Cooper being doubled, and their best guy on Lamb, or the other way around about 85% of the time. A guy like Gallup, or even Cedric Wilson for that matter, is going to get open against whatever is left behind. Throwing them the ball is child's play, its an easy call. Wilson, the mediocre schmuck that he is, had 5 games with 5 or more targets...not because he's that good, not because he was an integral part of the offense, but because he was the guy that was covered by the defense's 3rd or 4th best option on the field at any given moment. Obviously when you have Gallup, unquestionably better than Wilson, available, he's going to get open that much more often. Although, it does need to be noted, that Gallup, miscast as 'the deep guy' had at least 2-3 'targets' a game which were more throw aways, way down the field, that were desperation attempts at getting a DPI, than they were realistic attempts at completing a pass as well.

Gallup is very good, probably would be the best or second best receiver on %80 of the teams in the league, but Dallas doesn't need 3 very good WR's, and Gallup, while being very good, is not a #1 type guy, he's not routinely beating the best cover corners, or beating double teams..Cooper and Lamb can/do. He's a luxury for them, should not be a priority. Only way he should be a priority, is if they plan on cutting Cooper...which would be a good decision financially, but a horrible football decision. Now..if they can restructure Cooper..not as great..but OK, makes some sense. But I think they'd be just as good, if they restructure Cooper and re-sign Wilson, or any other of a dozen other Cedric Wilson types, at less than half what they'd have to pay Gallup. They wouldn't skip a beat.

Two years ago I said they should trade one of the two of them (Cooper/Gallup) before the 2021 season started, get something out of it..now they're stuck with crap options, one way or the other, they either let one walk and get next to nothing other than a compensatory pick, or they play kick the can down the road with albatross cap numbers. Typical Jerra

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubt he would take that
He might, depends on what offers he can get after missing half the season.
A one year deal, where you're compiling potentially guady numbers under the shadows of Lamb and Cooper, could lead to a much bigger deal than what he might be able to snag with his current resume. It's a gamble though, fer sure

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might, depends on what offers he can get after missing half the season.
A one year deal, where you're compiling potentially guady numbers under the shadows of Lamb and Cooper, could lead to a much bigger deal than what he might be able to snag with his current resume. It's a gamble though, fer sure
Even with the injury, teams like the Jags that are desperate for WR production will three a 3 year deal at him IMO

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with the injury, teams like the Jags that are desperate for WR production will three a 3 year deal at him IMO
Oh I haven't doubts teams will offer multiple year deals. But will the $ be what HE wants to lock himself down for for 3-4 years, when it's possible, if he puts up a good season in Dallas (or elsewhere) , he might be able to get much more? That's the gamble.
Always the chance a team, like JAX, says F it and gives him 12-15 per for 3-4, in which case the conversation is moot, of course he should take that deal

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I use Jags as the example because they have no choice but to overpay right now