• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fantasy Football News and Rumors

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as much as I like to think QBs in Baker Mayfield's mold are the future of the NFL, the numbers prove otherwise.
#1 overall, I want the pocket passer + the pedigree, not sure Baker checks the box on either of those.

One thing in his favor - plays tough/with a chip on his shoulder, gotta have that mentality to make it in the NFL.

I don't know that i agree with that. If you want to go by the odds of success based on any analytics ive seen the numbers have him as the top QB. Its not like he isnt a pocket passer. Hes not your typical size but i doubt that matters all that much.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that i agree with that. If you want to go by the odds of success based on any analytics ive seen the numbers have him as the top QB. Its not like he isnt a pocket passer. Hes not your typical size but i doubt that matters all that much.

well, the things that make him standout in college don't often translate well to the pros - extending plays, throwing on the run, scrambling, etc

not saying he can't, but there's a reason Russell Wilson fell to the 3rd round, even if it was a gross undervaluation of his talent. Baker at #1 overall might be the opposite overvaluation.

Time will tell, but one thing is for sure, if he doesn't succeed, at least he can blame it on the Browns and avoid taking ownership for failing. Seems to fall in line with his personality.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes you think none are NFL ready? I think this is the best QB class in a while and they arguably got the best prospect of the bunch.
The vast majority of scouts and analyst opinions were resoundingly that all the QB's in this draft were 2&3 year projects, and in Baker's specific case, his overall attitude, the fact he's never taken a meaningful snap from under center, the fact he's never read a defense, only stood there while the coach told him what to do after seeing the defense setup..and yes, his height.

There wasn't a top five worthy QB in this draft, period

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The vast majority of scouts and analyst opinions were resoundingly that all the QB's in this draft were 2&3 year projects, and in Baker's specific case, his overall attitude, the fact he's never taken a meaningful snap from under center, the fact he's never read a defense, only stood there while the coach told him what to do after seeing the defense setup..and yes, his height.

I'm not sure where you're getting that. Most ive seen have said this is a great class. I think it being the first class with4 QBs in the top 10 further enforces that.

As for mayfield...he has swagger. Seems like a good kid, incredibly hard worker, and great teammate. Not sure whats not to like there.

Never taking a snap under center is essentially meaningless.

His style of offense doesn't mean he can't read a defense.

His height. *shrug* 2 of the best QBs in the league are short. There isn't really a lot of evidence to suggest height is predictive of success in the NFL at QB.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust your opinions, but maybe 2018 was "the perfect storm" for QB?
Besides the teams that felt they didn't have a decent QB, you have about 5 or 6 teams with aging end-of-there career types...
What GM wants to be the GM who doesn't draft a QB from this class?

:noidea:

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not buying the '4 QBs were drafted in the top 10' as any indication of QB talent level.
Way bigger indication that we have a lot of QB desperate teams in the league right now.

2011 class had 4 in the top 12, that really isn't different than 4 in the top 10, and only 1 of those 4 QBs are still in the league right now.
And that class had 11 non-QB pro bowl players picked in the top 16 to go with those 4 QBs. Gonna say Vikes, Titans, and Jags all wished they would've passed on QB as well, instead of taking a project player with a top pick.
At least 2011 class had Cam, not seeing a Cam in this year's harvest.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust your opinions, but maybe 2018 was "the perfect storm" for QB?
Besides the teams that felt they didn't have a decent QB, you have about 5 or 6 teams with aging end-of-there career types...
What GM wants to be the GM who doesn't draft a QB from this class?

:noidea:
Yep pretty much, that and a herd mentality

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where you're getting that. Most ive seen have said this is a great class. I think it being the first class with4 QBs in the top 10 further enforces that.

As for mayfield...he has swagger. Seems like a good kid, incredibly hard worker, and great teammate. Not sure whats not to like there.

Never taking a snap under center is essentially meaningless.

His style of offense doesn't mean he can't read a defense.

His height. *shrug* 2 of the best QBs in the league are short. There isn't really a lot of evidence to suggest height is predictive of success in the NFL at QB.
Most of them did say something like that, and they also added "QB prospect" as a qualifier to just how deep it was, not franchise QB or even starter ready deep.. Just that there were a bunch of prospects that could develop into franchise guys.

And not taking a snap under center being meaningless? Brother please.. When the biggest drawbacks of guys like Rosen is his footwork on 3,5, and seven step drops, and Mayfield's NEVER done it? Can't pretend that isn't an issue unless your coach is just gonna try to call everything from around that liability, good luck.

And its not his system where the concern about reading D's, its the fact he's never had to, regardless of system. They lineup, they all turn to the sidelines, they run the play. No reading where to go with the ball, line adjustments, audibles, nothing. Its all done on the sidelines and relayed to him. Not gonna fly at the next level.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
I'm not sure why height is even an issue anymore?
It certainly isn't helping Brock Osweiler and Blake Bortles.
And even when it comes down to other skill positions, the best WR in the league right now is a puny 5-10.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
I'm not sure why height is even an issue anymore?
It certainly isn't helping Brock Osweiler and Blake Bortles.
And even when it comes down to other skill positions, the best WR in the league right now is a puny 5-10.
Well, I'm done discussing Baker Mayfield, can't for the llife of me see why anyone is on this guy's jock with so many obvious red flags, but whatever. I'll just say this and stop, his height is the absolute least of the reasons why he likely won't succeed, just one more thing to put on the list

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Knee jerk reaction to the 1st round

Favorite
Arizona QB Josh Rosen - I liked Mayfield better than Rosen as a prospect, but they were a very close 1 and 2 on my draft board and i like both of them better than any recent QBs going all the way back to Luck. Anyways great value getting him at pick 10 and a really great landing spot gets to sit behind Bradford until he gets hurt again, decent offensive line, and Johnson/Fitzgerald.

Baltimore TE Hayden Hurst and QB Lamar Jackson - Grabbing a TE that is a good route runner with sold hands and he;s a decent inline blocker and jumping back in to the first to grab an exiting QB prospect.

Worst
New Yourk Giants RB Saquon Barkley - Drafting a luxury pick at #2 overall like RB when you have a QB thats close to retirement in a year with tons of top end QB talent is just stupid. I don't care how good the running back is if you want to get back to the Superbowl eventually this isn't the way to do it.

Pittsburgh SS Terrell Edmunds - Hey maybe the Steelers saw something that no one else saw and i mean no one. A lot of analyst think the Steelers got him and his brother mixed up(I'm posative the Lions did the same thing a few years ago drafting DT Gabe Wright who was not supposed to be drafted and was absolutely terrible for us) instead Of DT Grady Jarrett. On the bright side he has good size is strong and fast, so he has potential he's just very raw.

Last edited:

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley just got a HUGE boost...Hernandez is one nasty, mean, dirty, guard. Yes Mayok..he's Incognito Jr. Enjoy Giants fans and Barkley owners...holy crap

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally, a RB pick that fits with need and system..'bout time, well done TB.

Sucks for my two Barber darts though...both dynasties.

Giants O line is gonna be nasty. Barkley just got better with the Hernandez pick.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barkley just got a HUGE boost...Hernandez is one nasty, mean, dirty, guard. Yes Mayok..he's Incognito Jr. Enjoy Giants fans and Barkley owners...holy crap

If I was GM, we'd have Roquan and Hernandez.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Mason for the Pats

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Mason for the Pats

It's really gonna suck when Brady retires and we still get out quarterbacked by the Pats. Hope I'm wrong. It's been a long millenium, what's another 10 I suppose.