• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Everything and Anything Superhero-Related

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently Batman's safe word is Martha.
Stupid. Oh so very stupid.

Your mom has the same name as my mom? That's it! Everything I have dedicated myself towards over the last year and a half is out the window now. If your mom is named "Martha", you MUST be a legit good guy.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stupid. Oh so very stupid.

Your mom has the same name as my mom? That's it! Everything I have dedicated myself towards over the last year and a half is out the window now. If your mom is named "Martha", you MUST be a legit good guy.

Haha exactly.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really agree at all about all the top DC heroes being boy scouts... Depending on who you consider the main DC heroes to be...

Well they came along later with Watchmen and punisher and V and such. Not all, just a lot more of their bigger ones.

But Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (Green Lantern corps was the interstellar boyscout league), Aquaman, Captain Marvel (who was a boy and fought Hitler to be the best guy he could be and was a goofy superman), Hawkman (who had the boyscout archaeologist job)... They've had times where they've turned them all from what their origins were..

I'd say Batman was one of the first of the more non-boyscout superheros but he stood out a bit while Marvel right off the bat was going with the anti-hero and questionable moral dilemmas with their guys.

But Marvel kicked it off with Namor, who was as anti-hero as anyone, the Hulk, Iron Man, quite a few of the Xmen (and early and often working with the bad guys, and how little separated X from Magneto, whereas there was a huge divide between Superman and the bad guys), the Human Torch and how people viewed him, The Destroyer, Vision being manipulated to fight for the Nazi's.. Daredevil, the Fantastic four starting out as battling in the cold war and Silver Surfer in there, with issues on that morality,

Sure Marvel probably has the two biggest boy scouts in Spiderman and Captain America, but right off the bat so many of their characters had issues and I think that has lent them to being easier to sell them in modern movies and shows as having flawed morals and darker moments without having to shove it in your face and make that such a focus of the narrative.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they came along later with Watchmen and punisher and V and such. Not all, just a lot more of their bigger ones.

But Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (Green Lantern corps was the interstellar boyscout league), Aquaman, Captain Marvel (who was a boy and fought Hitler to be the best guy he could be and was a goofy superman), Hawkman (who had the boyscout archaeologist job)... They've had times where they've turned them all from what their origins were..

I'd say Batman was one of the first of the more non-boyscout superheros but he stood out a bit while Marvel right off the bat was going with the anti-hero and questionable moral dilemmas with their guys.

But Marvel kicked it off with Namor, who was as anti-hero as anyone, the Hulk, Iron Man, quite a few of the Xmen (and early and often working with the bad guys, and how little separated X from Magneto, whereas there was a huge divide between Superman and the bad guys), the Human Torch and how people viewed him, The Destroyer, Vision being manipulated to fight for the Nazi's.. Daredevil, the Fantastic four starting out as battling in the cold war and Silver Surfer in there, with issues on that morality,

Sure Marvel probably has the two biggest boy scouts in Spiderman and Captain America, but right off the bat so many of their characters had issues and I think that has lent them to being easier to sell them in modern movies and shows as having flawed morals and darker moments without having to shove it in your face and make that such a focus of the narrative.

My thoughts though are to try to separate your ideas of the characters in their comics history from their movie versions.

Superman had very obvious flaws when it comes to integrating him into a real world in Man of Steel. I loved that version of him. Not many boy scouts snap the necks of the last living Kryptonian as they're about to incinerate a family.

We haven't seen Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Cyborg, or Aquaman yet, but given the tone of BvS, I'd put money down on none of them being that squeaky clean Americana version you're talking about.

Captain America, while still very patriotic, is clearly rebelling against the government in Civil War, and this time it's not just a Hydra front. It gives him depth and separates him from the 50's goody-2 shoes character.

Regardless of whether they come from Marvel or DC, the money maker in the movie world right now is dark and complex. I wouldn't worry too much about any of these characters being too light and "boyscout-ish"

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw Batman V Superman. I don't get why this is getting the level of hate that it got. It was much better than I expected. Lots of stuff seemed forced and it drug itself out for longer than necessary but it wasn't bad.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would Deadpool have grossed a billion if China didn't have its head up its ass?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw Batman vs Superman.

It felt like Watchmen mixed with Spiderman 3. One great movie that had one awful movie attached to it like a cancer.

Quite frankly, Wonder Woman, Doomsday, and the Aqua Man, Flash and very apparently the Cyborg footage had absolutely no business in the movie. There was a good movie with Superman, Batman and Lex's son. Lots of interesting interactions there. They turned Wonder Woman into the old Lara Croft which is bad because even Tomb Raider realized that no one wanted the old Lara Croft. I was always under the assumption that if she got her Lasso of Truth around something that she could control it. I also don't know why they tried to portray her as someone able to take DBZ levels of abuse from Android Doomsday. A big part of Wonder Woman is charisma and leadership.

I'm probably going to edit the heck of the movie once if hits home release.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caught BvS a few days ago. While I don't think it was as awful as the negative hype that swirled around it, the critics weren't fabricating the issues either. They need to fire whomever edited that movie, not to mention, they tried to cram way too much into this one just so they could jump start their universe. I thought it would have been far better if they just focused on BvS and how their philosophies were clashing. A team-up would be inevitable in the movie, but I didn't like the way they did it, and I hated the fact that their 2nd trailer spoiled the shit out of the movie. I really hate how they handled Superman too. I think Cavill is a good Superman, but the story can go suck one. It makes me wonder if someone at WB thinks Superman is garbage or something. Lex Luthor, or the son of Lex Luthor, was the most obnoxious villain ever, and I hate how they had Eisenberg play him. He seemed as if he was taking a crack at portraying the Riddler.

I can't see WW being any good after hearing Gal Gadot in a few movies now. I don't know who she's banging for work, or what her agent has on some Producers, but this chic should not have landed a role like this. Just about any young actress could pull off a huge fight scenes with tons of CGI, so for me, she's bringing nothing to the table.

On the bright side, The Batman should be good. I'll admit, while they shat all over the fact that these guys were pretty much anti-murder, at least it appears the character will be interesting as usual.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think ultimately my biggest beef with the movie is that they had the wrong supervillain. They basically ran a whole plot like for Metallo and could've had a really good scene where Batman and Wonder Woman team up to beat him and show Superman that everyone is in it together. They even had a handicapped wheelchair guy that was a perfect person to play Metallo.

But they bring in Doomsday for no freaking reason and Batman and Women Woman can't do much against Super Hulk and we get CG BS that just kinda sucks.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I was finally able to watch Ironman 3 last night.

How the f*ck does that fit into Civil War?

I interpreted that ending as the dude just retiring from being IM.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I was finally able to watch Ironman 3 last night.

How the f*ck does that fit into Civil War?

I interpreted that ending as the dude just retiring from being IM.
Iron Man 3 is probably the worst Marvel movie in the recent universe. It has a lot of the same issues as Dark Knight Rises imo

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It basically IS marvels own dark knight rises.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iron Man 3 is probably the worst Marvel movie in the recent universe. It has a lot of the same issues as Dark Knight Rises imo

Was that the one where IM teams up with WM at the end to fight a bunch of robots? I don't know which movie that was but the one that ended like that was the biggest pile of shit I've seen from Marvel.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that the one where IM teams up with WM at the end to fight a bunch of robots? I don't know which movie that was but the one that ended like that was the biggest pile of shit I've seen from Marvel.
Its the one where Ben Kingsley plays "Mandarin" so yeah that sounds like the same one.
I like Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man a lot but IM2 and certainly IM3 weren't very good.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was IM2.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy that Warner Brothers can crank out something like Suicide Squad just a couple months after BvS, making it look so interesting and fun, yet BvS was such a mess. If the latest previews are accurate representations of what the movies will be like, BvS may actually be the worst superhero movie this year by far. Crazy when you consider it arguably has 2-3 of the most recognizable CB characters in the history of the world.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy that Warner Brothers can crank out something like Suicide Squad just a couple months after BvS, making it look so interesting and fun, yet BvS was such a mess. If the latest previews are accurate representations of what the movies will be like, BvS may actually be the worst superhero movie this year by far. Crazy when you consider it arguably has 2-3 of the most recognizable CB characters in the history of the world.
Unless I am forgetting one, the only CB movies this tear are DP, CW, BvS, X-Apocolypse, and SS. At this point, I would be shocked if BvS is NOT the worst of the year.