• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ET "pissed off for greatness"

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earl Thomas is my favorite defensive player for sure. Hard to tell if he beats out Beast Mode for #1 on my Seahawks list.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reason being is that he was the first big splash for our D (2010 draft) and Carroll molded it with him in mind imo because he allows the schemes to form i do not believe there is many guys at that position to make that happen.

Plus he may seem like the soft spoken type but from my understanding and as the interview and article points out he pumps up the guys on D.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reason being is that he was the first big splash for our D (2010 draft) and Carroll molded it with him in mind imo because he allows the schemes to form i do not believe there is many guys at that position to make that happen.

Plus he may seem like the soft spoken type but from my understanding and as the interview and article points out he pumps up the guys on D.
I totally agree. Going into that draft I wanted Eric Berry bad because I thought this defense needed to be built with a dominant point man and he was touted to be the guy. When I heard Thomas' name I was like "Who?" while also noticing the position. Then I was like:

Old-Spice-Guy-Head-Nod.gif

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ET highlights ,,,couldn't resist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admittedly wanted Eric Berry but he was gone before our selection anyway. I do remember crossing my fingers and praying we drafted Earl Thomas (next rated safety) because I value safety play so highly. So suffice to say I was ecstatic when we drafted him. I was also praying we got Okung so the 1st round that year was a real pleasure from my end.

It's amazing it took Thomas 2+ years to finally get the recognition he does though. Everyone still had Berry better rated at the end of the 1st season, but I watched as many Chiefs games as possible (to see what Berry would do) and there was no argument who the better safety was at rookie year end (Thomas) yet Berry was still nut hugged by the media.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admittedly wanted Eric Berry but he was gone before our selection anyway. I do remember crossing my fingers and praying we drafted Earl Thomas (next rated safety) because I value safety play so highly. So suffice to say I was ecstatic when we drafted him. I was also praying we got Okung so the 1st round that year was a real pleasure from my end.

It's amazing it took Thomas 2+ years to finally get the recognition he does though. Everyone still had Berry better rated at the end of the 1st season, but I watched as many Chiefs games as possible (to see what Berry would do) and there was no argument who the better safety was at rookie year end (Thomas) yet Berry was still nut hugged by the media.

I think it was philly who traded ahead of us, i thought they were gonna steal et. But alas they took someone else and the rest is history.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was philly who traded ahead of us, i thought they were gonna steal et. But alas they took someone else and the rest is history.

I swore Philly was taking ET, but they took Brandon Graham lol who completely fell off the face of the Earth since. I remember everyone was hyping him up as the best pass rusher that year.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also wanted Berry and lets be honest here he would have not changed how this defense plays. He is like Earl with his range and speed he is just bigger. Had we got Berry nothing would have changed other than i believe it would have been Berry not Earl in the Defensive MVP race. Earl is good but this defense allows him to be special, i believe Berry would also be special here.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screamin12th, I got to disagree. Thomas looks like the better player and Berry doesn't look special. Logical posted a thread on his best 5. Here his best five free safety.

Free Safety
1) Earl Thomas
2) Jairus Byrd
3) Antrelle Rolle
4) Eric Weddle
5) Tyrann Matthieu

Berry just hasn't been that good. Thomas has.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screamin12th, I got to disagree. Thomas looks like the better player and Berry doesn't look special. Logical posted a thread on his best 5. Here his best five free safety.

Free Safety
1) Earl Thomas
2) Jairus Byrd
3) Antrelle Rolle
4) Eric Weddle
5) Tyrann Matthieu

Berry just hasn't been that good. Thomas has.

Berry is not surrounded by all pro's. See the thing with Pete and the Hawks coaches is that they put the players in place to succeed. They play to their strengths and limit them being exposed in their weaknesses. Berry's strengths are his covering ability and speed to close or chase. Berry doesn't have the talent around him in the back end to take chances like Thomas does. He can't be flashy and that as we all know is what gets you more "popularity" votes. If Berry was on this team and the Defense was #1 in the league against the pass, Berry would be looked at as a top 5 Safety.

Berry plays hard, strives for success and wants to succeed, he just doesn't have a Kam or Sherman back there with him. He has the talent to be top 5 ( Speed, Closing speed, read and react ability and smarts ) He just hasn't had the coaching that Thomas has received or the supporting cast.

coltonjg98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Pretty sure Berry has Brandon Flowers and 2 of the best pass rushers in the game. Oh, and don't let me forget about Derrick Johnson...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
OOohhhh... Earl Thomas. I figured this thread was about Sam Cassell.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Pretty sure Berry has Brandon Flowers and 2 of the best pass rushers in the game. Oh, and don't let me forget about Derrick Johnson...

Yeah and? where is their Sherman? and like i said they do not have someone like Kam. These players allow Thomas to play more freely. Berrys numbers were not bad either for this season. #2 on the team in tackles #2 for INT's on his team. Had 2 TD #2 in tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. They are playing Berry at SS and he would fit better as a FS. Thomas plays FS almost 100% of the time.

Rarely does Thomas come to the LoS allowing him to roam. All Though i do believe Thomas has the superior read and react skills which allow him to crash pretty good on running plays than Berry would from the FS spot. Still with talent around him to fill roles like the Hawks have Berry would be a top flight FS, i have no doubts about it. BTW i never said he would be Better than Thomas. Not ONCE so don't think that's where i am taking this because i am not. I am just saying he would have success on around the same level as Thomas here with the supporting cast.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah and? where is their Sherman? and like i said they do not have someone like Kam. These players allow Thomas to play more freely. Berrys numbers were not bad either for this season. #2 on the team in tackles #2 for INT's on his team. Had 2 TD #2 in tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. They are playing Berry at SS and he would fit better as a FS. Thomas plays FS almost 100% of the time.

Rarely does Thomas come to the LoS allowing him to roam. All Though i do believe Thomas has the superior read and react skills which allow him to crash pretty good on running plays than Berry would from the FS spot. Still with talent around him to fill roles like the Hawks have Berry would be a top flight FS, i have no doubts about it. BTW i never said he would be Better than Thomas. Not ONCE so don't think that's where i am taking this because i am not. I am just saying he would have success on around the same level as Thomas here with the supporting cast.

I just don't see it. I've watched Berry play a few times and he just misses way too many plays. Yeah, that could be coach out, possibly, but he gets burned nearly as often as he makes the play (yes, slight exaggeration). Besides, Berry plays strong safety (Kendrick Lewis is their FS). I'm happy with the safety we ended up with, and I think the Seahawks got the better player.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes Berry plays SS like i stated but he is more suited for FS if you ask me. Lewis plays FS because he is under 200 pounds and they can't see him playing close to the LoS where Berry can. But that still doesn't change the fact that Berry would be a better FS and that would play more into his strengths. In my eyes Berry is playing out of position and is suffering in production because of it.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I love ET and wouldn't have it any other way, but here are my thoughts.

ET has PC coaching him. It is easy for us to say we think JS/PC have an amazing eye for talent, but we also need to give serious credit to the system and the coaching. The defense and the system for developing players is incredible. The players still have to fit the system, but once they are in, and as long as they are motivated, which is what the always compete mantra is about, then they will succeed. I think Berry could have been just as good as ET, in this system.

Think about USC, he turned that program in one year. Yes, he scouted hard and brought a lot of players in, but, his overall philosophy and system get a lot of credit. And I really think that when he said something to the affect of bringing the college game to the pros, what he meant was bringing what he had discovered that worked, of being positive, and creating a winning culture, and of next man up. Belichick is similar. He will cut guys if he thinks he can get more from someone else, and PC is doing the same. There will be a few players that will be franchise guys, but the rest of the parts are going to move in and out, just like a college team losing older guys and getting the new recruits. The system will always keep the team competitve.