• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Elliotte Friedman 31 thoughts

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solidarity!

yup

Biey6DLCAAAFKke.png

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
4. Canuck rumour III: That ownership is courting Trevor Linden. Verdict: God only knows. We interviewed Linden for our piece on the 1994 Canucks, and off-handedly asked him about being a GM. He didn't seem that interested.

oh hell no! mediocre teams loading up on mediocre stars from mediocre eras of mediocre days gone by just breeds mediocrity.
know what I'm saying, Stan Smyl?

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i love Trevor Linden but he is NO GM nor can be. Why would anyone even want that. Trevor is doing very well with his fitness centres and his families development company. not sure he wants to leave the life he has now for that nightmare

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from the interviews and stuff ive read, Trevor Linden doesnt strike me as having any interest in getting back in the game in any capacity :noidea:

This Gretzky as Canucks President thing scares me

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from the interviews and stuff ive read, Trevor Linden doesnt strike me as having any interest in getting back in the game in any capacity :noidea:

This Gretzky as Canucks President thing scares me

fuck it let it happen. blow it all up and watch it crumble then they will sell and we can have 2002 to 2011 all over again :D but maybe this time with better goal tending in the early 2000s

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: Canucks brass must resist panic | Hockey | CBC Sports

Canuck rumour II: That ownership blocked Gillis from trading Ryan Kesler at the deadline. Verdict: Don't believe it. As mentioned above, Aquilini was well aware of the GM's plans. It would not be the least bit surprising if an interested team or two told Vancouver it could be involved at the draft, but not now, for cap reasons. Also, when Kesler said no to Columbus, the Rangers and Philadelphia, the Canucks may have pulled back because they didn't like the situation.

damn!

/maybe Gilly is growing the throatee just to fit in?

aquilini-torts-gillis-620-thumb-620xauto-355009.jpg

I don't understand why that's bolded. I'm sure everyone has heard by now that Homer was only trying to drive the cost up for Pittsburgh so how does Philly have anything to do with this? I mean the asking price would have started with B Schenn or Couturier and it's been said 100 times that they are non-starters for a trade. I mean if you didn't move one of them for Shea Weber why would you move one for Kesler? No offense to Kesler but Weber is worth a lot more then him.

Last edited by a moderator:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should just call this "The Edmonton Ineptitude Solution"...Also, an answer to Colorado tanking last season to get MacKinnon.

Last season, the league opened up winning the No. 1 pick to all 14 non-playoff teams. Previously, only the five-worst teams had a shot. But no one feared moving down more than one position, meaning the 30th-place club could select no lower than second. That protection is in peril.

As we head towards a 2015 draft with two talents that have scouts drooling -- Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid -- the NHL is considering a system that could see the lottery going beyond just the No. 1 overall choice.

There are discussions about having the top three picks, or even the top five, selected this way. Although odds would continue to favour those teams with the fewest points, a decision to go in this direction would mean the worst team could potentially pick fourth -- or sixth.

Currently, the last-place squad gets a 25 per cent chance of snaring the top choice, with the best non-playoff finisher at 0.5 per cent. That may be different, too.

What we're looking at here is a system where the odds would be weighted by how positions 17 through 30 in the NHL standings finish over a five-year period relative to the final playoff qualifier. The exact formula is not yet determined.

30 Thoughts: Changing odds in NHL draft lottery | Hockey | CBC Sports

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should just call this "The Edmonton Ineptitude Solution"...Also, an answer to Colorado tanking last season to get MacKinnon.

Last season, the league opened up winning the No. 1 pick to all 14 non-playoff teams. Previously, only the five-worst teams had a shot. But no one feared moving down more than one position, meaning the 30th-place club could select no lower than second. That protection is in peril.

As we head towards a 2015 draft with two talents that have scouts drooling -- Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid -- the NHL is considering a system that could see the lottery going beyond just the No. 1 overall choice.

There are discussions about having the top three picks, or even the top five, selected this way. Although odds would continue to favour those teams with the fewest points, a decision to go in this direction would mean the worst team could potentially pick fourth -- or sixth.

Currently, the last-place squad gets a 25 per cent chance of snaring the top choice, with the best non-playoff finisher at 0.5 per cent. That may be different, too.

What we're looking at here is a system where the odds would be weighted by how positions 17 through 30 in the NHL standings finish over a five-year period relative to the final playoff qualifier. The exact formula is not yet determined.

30 Thoughts: Changing odds in NHL draft lottery | Hockey | CBC Sports

Also interesting in the 30 thoughts was the stuff about Sean Couturier - glad the Flyers are keeping him

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: Ryan Getzlaf for MVP | Hockey | CBC Sports

(jovo surgery picture in here if youre so inclined)

With all of the discussion about Vancouver needing 21- to 25-year-old impact players, I think they seriously considered an offer sheet for Jamie Benn in the summer of 2012. Obviously, the owners don't have much use for one another, but bringing home a local boy (and a very good one) would've been a major coup. I can't confirm it, but I believe a one-year, $7.5-million US offer was the ballpark, which meant Dallas would've had to qualify him at that number for three more years, similar to what Calgary did to Colorado with Ryan O'Reilly

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
30 Thoughts: Ryan Getzlaf for MVP | Hockey | CBC Sports

(jovo surgery picture in here if youre so inclined)

With all of the discussion about Vancouver needing 21- to 25-year-old impact players, I think they seriously considered an offer sheet for Jamie Benn in the summer of 2012. Obviously, the owners don't have much use for one another, but bringing home a local boy (and a very good one) would've been a major coup. I can't confirm it, but I believe a one-year, $7.5-million US offer was the ballpark, which meant Dallas would've had to qualify him at that number for three more years, similar to what Calgary did to Colorado with Ryan O'Reilly

What do you think the chances are they offer sheet Ryan Johansen? He's from there and an RFA this year. The Jackets have started selling security guards and concession workers into slavery to raise the cash they will need to resign him, and I really hope someone doesn't throw a wrench into the works and make him a stupid offer.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love 30 Thoughts. Friedman might be the best hockey writer out there for my money (other than DgB of course!).

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think the chances are they offer sheet Ryan Johansen? He's from there and an RFA this year. The Jackets have started selling security guards and concession workers into slavery to raise the cash they will need to resign him, and I really hope someone doesn't throw a wrench into the works and make him a stupid offer.

offersheets are pretty pointless ... they just drive up the market prices of players ... and the team will always match an offer on such a good player ... cbj doesnt have cap problems do they?

they might have a lesser internal budget next year but that wont stop them from matching an offer on RyJo ... they would just have to reluctantly get rid of someone else (if they indeed have a lesser internal cap budget)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offersheets are pretty pointless ... they just drive up the market prices of players ... and the team will always match an offer on such a good player ... cbj doesnt have cap problems do they?

they might have a lesser internal budget next year but that wont stop them from matching an offer on RyJo ... they would just have to reluctantly get rid of someone else (if they indeed have a lesser internal cap budget)

No, not at all. Capgeek is down ATM, but I want to say they have `12m (at a 62m cap) with 16 or 17 guys signed.

UFA upcoming, Schulz, Nikitin, Tabasco and MacKenzie. I think they should try and keep DMac. Rest? meh
RFA upcoming, RyJo, Tropp, Savard and Prout. They need to keep all four of those guys, obviously.

Maybe Skille is FA too, maybe it's Comeau... Can't remember.

Umberger and Boll combined make around 6 and neither is needed, IMO. Jackets need a sniper wing and a reliable backup. Umberger is eligible for a compliance buyout. Plenty of depth at bottom 6 forward and D.

But they have a bunch of guys that could make the roster next year. Anderson, Bjorkstrand, Rychel, Melart, Golubef, Wennberg, Dano and Dansk. They could legitimately have one complete five man unit come out of camp together.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
30 Thoughts: Players can't be boss of NHL teams | Hockey | CBC Sports

25. The aftermath of last week's infamous referee discussion proved one thing to me: Teams believe the crowd at the Bell Centre influences more calls than any other building in the NHL. It is undoubtedly the best home-ice advantage in the league, an intimidating place to officiate. Takes strong-minded people to work there.

30. Stole this from someone: First, Joel Quenneville grabs his crotch. Then Milan Lucic spears Danny DeKeyser in them. Then Patrick Roy tells his team to show its cojones. You know what we're going to get next? A Joe Thornton four-goal game.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25. The aftermath of last week's infamous referee discussion proved one thing to me: Teams believe the crowd at the Bell Centre influences more calls than any other building in the NHL. It is undoubtedly the best home-ice advantage in the league, an intimidating place to officiate. Takes strong-minded people to work there.

It's true. No crowd in the NHL does it better than Montreal. I give them credit, it works and they keep on the officials all game, every game.