• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eli Manning, the HOF, and my long standing Jim Plunkett comparisom

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played longer.

Not a difficult concept to understand.

But apparently it's a difficult one to appreciate for some of us. Durability matters and he's lasted at the most important position in sports in the most demanding sports market on the planet for 14 seasons. That counts for something.. certainly as evidence that he's better than many others who didn't play as long.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But apparently it's a difficult one to appreciate for some of us. Durability matters and he's lasted at the most important position in sports in the most demanding sports market on the planet for 14 seasons. That counts for something.. certainly as evidence that he's better than many others who didn't play as long.

It's evidence that his name is Manning. Not much more.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's evidence that his name is Manning. Not much more.

So the Giants just kept lining him up behind center for 14 years because he's Peyton's brother ? Seriously.. that's what you're going with now ?

When you no longer have anything of substance to add in support of your opinion it might be a good idea to just let it go and move on.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the Giants just kept lining him up behind center for 14 years because he's Peyton's brother ? Seriously.. that's what you're going with now ?

When you no longer have anything of substance to add in support of your opinion it might be a good idea to just let it go and move on.

It certainly isn't a matter of him being a statistically good QB, because he isn't.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as it pains me to agree with @DirtDirtDirt it pains me even more to disagree with @Rock Strongo

For the first parts of their careers I thought Eli was better than Ben. Primarily bc of how Ben played in the SBs as opposed to Eli. However, over the last few years it’s pretty clear that Ben is the better QB. Now you can argue that Ben has been surrounded by better talent but that’s not his fault. In other words, you can’t knock Ben for that.

That all being said, Eli is in. Being the SB MVP twice is rarefied air. However, I may revisit this point if Nick Foles wins SB MVP again in his career. But it’s not just the two SB MVPs that gets him there it’s also his streak. In this day and age for a QB to start that many consecutive games is remarkable. Even more remarkable was the classy way he allowed it to end. He was NOT gonna go in there for a quarter or a series to keep it alive. He knew if he did that it would lessen the accomplishment. Classy by him not to allow that to happen.

I will say it’s funny how Dirt gives Eli ALL the credit and blows him harder than any pats fan blows Brady and all the while he never credits Coughlin with his role in those SB victories but is quick to point out BB when discussing Brady. Haha. But that’s what makes Dirt... Dirt.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played longer.

Not a difficult concept to understand.

He's statistically mediocre. If you don't see that, I can't help you.
6th all time.
8th all time.

Playing kind of matters here. Lol. It's the hall of fame.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli is not an HOF QB. He is a poor mans Peyton. Nothing more. Winning the Superbowl should not get you in the HOF.
Peyton is the greatest. Eli is a step below but still hall worthy.

Not just one super bowl. He's got two. Plus all the yards and touchdowns.

megalodon30

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6th all time.
8th all time.

Playing kind of matters here. Lol. It's the hall of fame.

Perhaps it should be renamed the Hall of Yards.

According to passer rating, he's severely mediocre for his era. According to completion percentage, he's well below average for his era. According to interceptions, he's one of the most guilty of his era.

If that's a HOF QB to you, your standards must be really, really low.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No because he's Archie's son.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps it should be renamed the Hall of Yards.

According to passer rating, he's severely mediocre for his era. According to completion percentage, he's well below average for his era. According to interceptions, he's one of the most guilty of his era.

If that's a HOF QB to you, your standards must be really, really low.
Now why the fuck are you going to put Chad Pennington in the hall of fame? He didn't get any interceptions because he barely played. Eli played nearly every game for 13 years. Crushed it. 6th all time moving then ball. 8th all time scoring it. You tell me right now if the game is about something other than moving the ball down the field and putting it in the endzone...

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli is throwing 200 more TDs and 25,000 more yards than Plunkett.

This is retarded, Rock.

Truly pathetically dumb and I see even you are claiming that only your past self was stupid enough to really argue it.

One played in an era where teams predominantly ran the ball and one played in an era where teams predominantly threw the ball. For a good chunk of the 1970s/Plunkett's careeer, the average NFL was averaging around 24-27 pass attempts per game (though it did get above 30 in 1980). During Eli's career, it's been mostly around 33-35 pass attempts per game. Plunkett averaged the same amount of yards per pass attempt.

comparing passing stats of the 1970s to today's era is dumb.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli's had four seasons in the top 10 in YPA (one top 5 finish) and only ranks 83rd all-time. He's only 17th among active QBs and there's various other QBs from the 1990s-2010s ahead of him.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll probably get in because 'Manning' and 2x Super Bowls... but he's a modern day Matt Hasselbeck who required a great pass rush/defense, and the best catch of all time in a Super Bowl to win.

That’s a good comparison, he kinda does remind me of Hasselbeck... Giants defenses were great in both Super-Bowls, but in defense to Manning, he did come through when it counted the most... Both titles the Giants won he stepped up in the clutch with both those games in the balance ...

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish i could say I don't understand the obsession Parriot fans have with Eli Manning

But ya know, i do

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll probably get in because 'Manning' and 2x Super Bowls... but he's a modern day Matt Hasselbeck who required a great pass rush/defense, and the best catch of all time in a Super Bowl to win.

Only if you conlletely ignore how he played in both postseasons during those SB runs

Otherwise spot on

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eli is throwing 200 more TDs and 25,000 more yards than Plunkett.

This is retarded, Rock.

Truly pathetically dumb and I see even you are claiming that only your past self was stupid enough to really argue it.

Exactly right

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all true (but the retarded part), but if you dont consider eras its kinda silly. 2/3 of his career was in the 70's, and he was blessed with a great offensive line in NE (thats sarcasm btw)

20+ INT seasons

Eli - 3 (lead the NFL 3 times)
plunkett - 2 (both with shit NE teams, never lead the NFL)

again, consider eras on both sides of the equation.

both guys have 2 rings as starters.

Fuck off

Next time you and that horrendous fan base bring up "era" when slobbering over that pedofile throwing for the Pats, will be the first

Last edited:

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as it pains me to agree with @DirtDirtDirt it pains me even more to disagree with @Rock Strongo

For the first parts of their careers I thought Eli was better than Ben. Primarily bc of how Ben played in the SBs as opposed to Eli. However, over the last few years it’s pretty clear that Ben is the better QB. Now you can argue that Ben has been surrounded by better talent but that’s not his fault. In other words, you can’t knock Ben for that.

That all being said, Eli is in. Being the SB MVP twice is rarefied air. However, I may revisit this point if Nick Foles wins SB MVP again in his career. But it’s not just the two SB MVPs that gets him there it’s also his streak. In this day and age for a QB to start that many consecutive games is remarkable. Even more remarkable was the classy way he allowed it to end. He was NOT gonna go in there for a quarter or a series to keep it alive. He knew if he did that it would lessen the accomplishment. Classy by him not to allow that to happen.

I will say it’s funny how Dirt gives Eli ALL the credit and blows him harder than any pats fan blows Brady and all the while he never credits Coughlin with his role in those SB victories but is quick to point out BB when discussing Brady. Haha. But that’s what makes Dirt... Dirt.

You're a dumbass, this entire forum during the season is dedicated to Tom Brady, and the only Eli Manning threads ever started are by the most insecure fan base in sports history, the one in which he completely owns

I never started an Eli Manning thread in this place one time you total mental case

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One played in an era where teams predominantly ran the ball and one played in an era where teams predominantly threw the ball. For a good chunk of the 1970s/Plunkett's careeer, the average NFL was averaging around 24-27 pass attempts per game (though it did get above 30 in 1980). During Eli's career, it's been mostly around 33-35 pass attempts per game. Plunkett averaged the same amount of yards per pass attempt.

comparing passing stats of the 1970s to today's era is dumb.

Lol the irony