• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eddie DeBartolo Jr. just called out the NFL!

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's OK.

I hate the cap, always have.

And you Yanks have to go all over the world defending my right to do just that.....

You Yanks? you dirty Canadian:suds: I'm gonna get you Hank Moose Head on the house

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's OK.

And you Yanks have to go all over the world defending my right to do just that.....

I laughed. I mean mothafuckers lookin at me like "WTF is so funny?" laughed. Thank goodness I wasn't eating or drinking when I read this.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wish there wasn't so much BS in the contracts. I like where when a baseball team signs a contract they are on the hook for it. Forces teams to honor contracts & forces players from trying to redo a contract half way through.
If a team over pays for a player, well then they over pay, they just don't cut their losses.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess we just view things a bit differently. For me I can't stand to watch baseball as it seems for the most part the same 6 or so teams are at the top with maybe 1 surprise team a year to then watch that 1 surprise team disappear for another 15-20 years again.

NBA is about unwatchable anymore. Yes they have a Cap but teams can go beyond it if they are willing to pay a tax so teams seem to be loading up on super stars. I mean the NBA unless injuries come out of nowhere is already down to about 3-4 teams for next year.

Part of what makes the NFL so special is that teams can quickly climb from worst to first. Heck this past Super Bowl is tribute to that. The Broncos and Panthers picked 1 and 2 in the 2011 draft yet climbed their way quickly to two of the best teams in the league. Seattle went from barely average to Super Bowl contender. Makes it fun to watch from year to year.

The NFL cap works in terms of small market teams having the same payroll as the big market teams, but it hasn't really helped with competitive balance...

TN, JAX, MIA, BUF, CLE, OAK, DET, TB, CHI, STL/LA, SD, DAL... nearly 40% of the teams have all been struggling for the better part of a decade, some more than that.

The NFL cap keeps the top teams from really separating from the bottom feeders, but it's FO drafting well, and a little luck at QB (since you mentioned SEA) that makes teams competitive.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's OK.

That funny I could have sworn one of the beaches at D-day was all Canadian troops, guess not.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL cap works in terms of small market teams having the same payroll as the big market teams, but it hasn't really helped with competitive balance...

TN, JAX, MIA, BUF, CLE, OAK, DET, TB, CHI, STL/LA, SD, DAL... nearly 40% of the teams have all been struggling for the better part of a decade, some more than that.

The NFL cap keeps the top teams from really separating from the bottom feeders, but it's FO drafting well, and a little luck at QB (since you mentioned SEA) that makes teams competitive.

I do agree that all those teams have continued to stay in the dumper but I don't blame that on the Cap. I blame that on ownership and FO decisions. Let's take Oakland for example because well I know them best of the teams listed. Obviously ownership was down right terrible for the last years Davis' time as owner. He was trading away draft picks left and right to bring in over the hill players, he was handing out ridiculous contracts left and right that left them in a terrible cap situation, and he was hiring and firing coaches left and right. That has nothing to do with the cap keeping them down that has everything to do with an owner that lost his edge and realized his days were numbered and was overreacting to that truth so he made dumb decisions to try and capture one more championship. Not only did it hurt his team when he was alive but it took years for the team to recover and we are still not sure if they have even recovered yet.

I'm sure all those teams you listed have some things in common with what I just wrote. Bad ownership bringing in bad people to run the team. The Cap though at least allows every team a chance. Other things are what make the odds not even.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree that all those teams have continued to stay in the dumper but I don't blame that on the Cap. I blame that on ownership and FO decisions. Let's take Oakland for example because well I know them best of the teams listed. Obviously ownership was down right terrible for the last years Davis' time as owner. He was trading away draft picks left and right to bring in over the hill players, he was handing out ridiculous contracts left and right that left them in a terrible cap situation, and he was hiring and firing coaches left and right. That has nothing to do with the cap keeping them down that has everything to do with an owner that lost his edge and realized his days were numbered and was overreacting to that truth so he made dumb decisions to try and capture one more championship. Not only did it hurt his team when he was alive but it took years for the team to recover and we are still not sure if they have even recovered yet.

I'm sure all those teams you listed have some things in common with what I just wrote. Bad ownership bringing in bad people to run the team. The Cap though at least allows every team a chance. Other things are what make the odds not even.

And me with CLE....lol...I think the common thread will be bad draft picks, flipping HCs, ill fated FA signings.

Of those teams mentioned...OAK and JAX have clearly won the offseason...both had solid drafts, and FA period...now we need to see if it translates to wins on the field. Not specifically this season as I think both teams will hover around 8 to 9 wins, but next yr, and the yr after.

People are already saying the JAX HC is on the hot seat, so I would be surprised to see him axed of they go 7-9...which imo would be a mistake.

I think my point was..the hard cap alone promotes it, but it doesn't ensure competitive balance.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And me with CLE....lol...I think the common thread will be bad draft picks, flipping HCs, ill fated FA signings.

Of those teams mentioned...OAK and JAX have clearly won the offseason...both had solid drafts, and FA period...now we need to see if it translates to wins on the field. Not specifically this season as I think both teams will hover around 8 to 9 wins, but next yr, and the yr after.

People are already saying the JAX HC is on the hot seat, so I would be surprised to see him axed of they go 7-9...which imo would be a mistake.

I think my point was..the hard cap alone promotes it, but it doesn't ensure competitive balance.

All good points. Del Rio isn't on the hot seat in Oakland from what I can tell after just one season but if the team underachieves this year I'm sure next year it will be very hot for him as well. I'm not a big fan of Del Rio so I'm hoping he stays in Oakland a long time as I think they will hover in mediocrity with him as a HC which hey is a step up from what they have been but can't expect them to always just be a bottom feeder.

And your point is well received. I agree the hard cap can only promote it not ensure it. I just love the fact though that the NFL has kept one as I do think it adds to why the NFL continues to stay on top in revenue and even continues to grow. I've pointed this out a couple of times but this past Super Bowl involved the 2 teams picking #1 and #2 just 5 years ago. Then we look at the playoff turnover from year to year and it just keeps fans coming back year after year thinking maybe their team is the one that emerges or to make sure their team stays on top.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points. Del Rio isn't on the hot seat in Oakland from what I can tell after just one season but if the team underachieves this year I'm sure next year it will be very hot for him as well. I'm not a big fan of Del Rio so I'm hoping he stays in Oakland a long time as I think they will hover in mediocrity with him as a HC which hey is a step up from what they have been but can't expect them to always just be a bottom feeder.

And your point is well received. I agree the hard cap can only promote it not ensure it. I just love the fact though that the NFL has kept one as I do think it adds to why the NFL continues to stay on top in revenue and even continues to grow. I've pointed this out a couple of times but this past Super Bowl involved the 2 teams picking #1 and #2 just 5 years ago. Then we look at the playoff turnover from year to year and it just keeps fans coming back year after year thinking maybe their team is the one that emerges or to make sure their team stays on top.

Even fan expectation I think is skewed a little too high...especially OAK...I remember Del Rio as the head man in JAX...maybe he learned something in his time in DEN, idk. Not that this means anything, but I picked OAK for 9-7, but wouldn't be shocked it they won 10 or won 7...they have finally got over the hurdle of winning on the road...DEN was the only playoff caliber team they beat on the rd, but they tied PIT @ 35 late, lost on a last sec FG.

To be honest...the parity I think matters and probably 10 or so of the fan bases can genuinely feel like this might be the year their team hoists the Lombardi...but the NFL would still be the most popular sport w/o a cap...and I'm for the cap...it's just the new American past time. The hard hitting action is there, the perfect amount of games...the only think I see waning is MNF a little.