• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eddie DeBartolo Jr. just called out the NFL!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say money always buys a championship. I said that those teams with a higher payroll have easier options to build a very good team. Plenty of teams have done it on a low budget and with the NFL there would be those times that they could build up a championship caliber team. The problem becomes though it is much harder to sustain those rosters because once the top players can hit FA it is hard to keep them. Also not like Kansas City is paying bottom dollar anymore. This year they are 15th in total payroll, last year 13th, and the year before that 18th. So the first year they made the World Series it was impressive compared to what they were spending but since then they have started spending more and hey look they have stayed consistently good. All the years before this run at the World Series though they were bottom-10 in payroll and most of the time bottom-5. Heck 2011 just 5 years ago they were the lowest payroll in baseball by quite a bit.
They made more money off shared TV revenue than they spent on payroll, until recently.

Spent money, traded prospects for proven players, got fans to show up, won and now they stink. With no hope of reopening the window without spending more. Or start over.

MLB and NFL careers are so much different in length it changes the impact of FA imo. The best franchises in football seem to be those who draft well, consistently. If there were no salary cap, it'd still be those teams. (I'm definitely including your Broncos. It's what, 5 straight West titles?)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a fun chart to represent how poor the Yankees have been at drafting the past 8 years against their AL peers. Taken a while and quite a bit of luck to obstruct the obvious decline, but it's there. Also shows that MLB drafting is ... difficult.

View attachment 146079
Draft WAR?

Wtf...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They made more money off shared TV revenue than they spent on payroll, until recently.

Spent money, traded prospects for proven players, got fans to show up, won and now they stink. With no hope of reopening the window without spending more. Or start over.

MLB and NFL careers are so much different in length it changes the impact of FA imo. The best franchises in football seem to be those who draft well, consistently. If there were no salary cap, it'd still be those teams. (I'm definitely including your Broncos. It's what, 5 straight West titles?)

Yeah it is 5 straight. I guess to me with the NFL it takes doing well at everything usually to make it. Such as for the Broncos they drafted well with Von Miller, DT, Harris, Wolfe, and so many more. At the same time it was bringing in Manning, Ware, Talib, Ward, and others and also finding some waiver wire guys like Brandon Marshall to fill out the entire roster. They found talent from a wide range of places.

The year before that for the Patriots it was drafting well and some FA additions like Revis that helped them get over the hump.

The year before that Seattle of course had some incredible drafts but it was also partly because of those drafts they could then go out and fill in some great FA additions like a Bennett and Avril to add to the defensive line depth that helped them get over the top.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about just scout & draft better, that will solve most cap issues.
True, but sign a big contract with a guy who had a career ending injury 3 games in can hamper a teams Cao for a couple of years.
As a football fan I'm good with the cap, as a Dallas fan I hate the cap. I'm good either way, but tweaking it might be a good idea.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but sign a big contract with a guy who had a career ending injury 3 games in can hamper a teams Cao for a couple of years.
As a football fan I'm good with the cap, as a Dallas fan I hate the cap. I'm good either way, but tweaking it might be a good idea.

How would you tweak it though to continue to get the same competitive advantage for all 32 teams? I mean that is the big selling point right now for the NFL is that every team is playing on an equal playing field.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you tweak it though to continue to get the same competitive advantage for all 32 teams? I mean that is the big selling point right now for the NFL is that every team is playing on an equal playing field.
Not sure I'm not a contract lawyer. The current system could very well be the option there is, then again maybe it's not.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I'm not a contract lawyer. The current system could very well be the option there is, then again maybe it's not.

Oh I'm sure there are a couple of things that the NFL could do to make it better. I just think at this time though compared to the other major sports it is the system that I like best because it does encourage equality between all 32 teams whether you have a ridiculously rich owner or the poorest owner in the NFL. Gives every fan hope. Like I said before the 2011 NFL draft had Carolina picking #1 overall where they took Cam Newton and the Denver Broncos #2 overall in Von Miller. So your MVP and Super Bowl MVP went 1 and 2 in that draft and helped take those teams from bottom feeders to the Super Bowl in such a short time. Now maybe in the other leagues a team does get lucky and say like Cleveland did in drafting LeBron James because they stunk so much completely changing the fortunes of the franchise but that is more because those sports are so individualized anymore. I mean we are talking about a player that can impact both the offense and defense compared to the NFL where they are just one player among 22 starters.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I'm sure there are a couple of things that the NFL could do to make it better. I just think at this time though compared to the other major sports it is the system that I like best because it does encourage equality between all 32 teams whether you have a ridiculously rich owner or the poorest owner in the NFL. Gives every fan hope. Like I said before the 2011 NFL draft had Carolina picking #1 overall where they took Cam Newton and the Denver Broncos #2 overall in Von Miller. So your MVP and Super Bowl MVP went 1 and 2 in that draft and helped take those teams from bottom feeders to the Super Bowl in such a short time. Now maybe in the other leagues a team does get lucky and say like Cleveland did in drafting LeBron James because they stunk so much completely changing the fortunes of the franchise but that is more because those sports are so individualized anymore. I mean we are talking about a player that can impact both the offense and defense compared to the NFL where they are just one player among 22 starters.
You're correct it keeps more teams in play, but as I stated earlier, as a NFL fan I have no issues with the cap, as a Cowboys fan I do. This has nothing to do with how Dallas manages the cap, but I know Jerry is afraid to spend money on the best possible roster.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're correct it keeps more teams in play, but as I stated earlier, as a NFL fan I have no issues with the cap, as a Cowboys fan I do. This has nothing to do with how Dallas manages the cap, but I know Jerry is afraid to spend money on the best possible roster.

If I were the Cowboys I would try everything possible to get control of any personnel decisions away from him. That doesn't mean he always makes terrible decisions but he has made plenty. Now please correct me if I am wrong on any of this as this is just an outside perspective looking in. To me Jerry isn't afraid to spend money as he usually spends right up to the cap most years. Honestly anymore because teams are required to spend something like 89% of the cap or higher or be penalized that has eliminated really any owner from bottoming out to save money.

The problem I see though is Jerry gets so wrapped up in the flashy talent that he ignores most everything else. I mean it was pretty obvious that he was really wanting to draft Johnny Manziel. Thankfully his son stepped in and helped him to make the better decision but I think most everybody outside of Cleveland knew that was going to be a disaster. Same with Hardy. Even though he is a talented player he is also a major headache with a ton of off the field issues that he seems to take no responsibility for. He became a lockerroom cancer very early on. Same with the kid from Nebraska. I think most knew that wasn't going to end well.

Jerry seems to want to take a ton of high risk moves just hoping to maybe catch lightning in a bottle and well so far that just keeps blowing up in his face.

To me the top owners spend but the spend wisely. They bring in players that are not only talented but also will be a huge plus for the locker room. That doesn't mean they completely shy away from the problem players but you get too many of those type of players in the lockerroom and you quickly see them drag down others with them. You need that strong leadership that can stand up to those type of players and make them fall in line.

I would also add that because Jerry is both Owner and GM that makes the relationship with his coaching staff sometimes a bit difficult. He obviously has final say on most everything. The best teams in the league seem to be the ones that have the best communication from top to bottom. The coaches can voice what they think of the roster and then what type of players they are looking for to best fit what they need. Then the GM and his crew go scouring the tape to find those type of players. I just don't always see that from the Cowboys. Seems like Jerry gets his favorites and it is very difficult to convince him otherwise. Where he sees dollar signs the rest on his team see disaster.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the Cowboys I would try everything possible to get control of any personnel decisions away from him. That doesn't mean he always makes terrible decisions but he has made plenty. Now please correct me if I am wrong on any of this as this is just an outside perspective looking in. To me Jerry isn't afraid to spend money as he usually spends right up to the cap most years. Honestly anymore because teams are required to spend something like 89% of the cap or higher or be penalized that has eliminated really any owner from bottoming out to save money.

The problem I see though is Jerry gets so wrapped up in the flashy talent that he ignores most everything else. I mean it was pretty obvious that he was really wanting to draft Johnny Manziel. Thankfully his son stepped in and helped him to make the better decision but I think most everybody outside of Cleveland knew that was going to be a disaster. Same with Hardy. Even though he is a talented player he is also a major headache with a ton of off the field issues that he seems to take no responsibility for. He became a lockerroom cancer very early on. Same with the kid from Nebraska. I think most knew that wasn't going to end well.

Jerry seems to want to take a ton of high risk moves just hoping to maybe catch lightning in a bottle and well so far that just keeps blowing up in his face.

To me the top owners spend but the spend wisely. They bring in players that are not only talented but also will be a huge plus for the locker room. That doesn't mean they completely shy away from the problem players but you get too many of those type of players in the lockerroom and you quickly see them drag down others with them. You need that strong leadership that can stand up to those type of players and make them fall in line.

I would also add that because Jerry is both Owner and GM that makes the relationship with his coaching staff sometimes a bit difficult. He obviously has final say on most everything. The best teams in the league seem to be the ones that have the best communication from top to bottom. The coaches can voice what they think of the roster and then what type of players they are looking for to best fit what they need. Then the GM and his crew go scouring the tape to find those type of players. I just don't always see that from the Cowboys. Seems like Jerry gets his favorites and it is very difficult to convince him otherwise. Where he sees dollar signs the rest on his team see disaster.
For the most part, you ate correct, but Jerry has giving some control to Stephen, who now manages the cap, which has gotten better over the last couple of years. It also seems most of the draft and FA signings has gone over to Stephen. It is a song believe amongst Dallas fans that the agreement is to let Jerry have the 2nd round pick, and one pet project FA, everything else is Stephen. I think Jerry realizes he keeps fucking up but his ego won't allow him to step aside and just be a silent owner.
Two things I doubt Jerry ever gives up is the GM title and being the team mouthpiece. If there's a mike Jerry will talk.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, you ate correct, but Jerry has giving some control to Stephen, who now manages the cap, which has gotten better over the last couple of years. It also seems most of the draft and FA signings has gone over to Stephen. It is a song believe amongst Dallas fans that the agreement is to let Jerry have the 2nd round pick, and one pet project FA, everything else is Stephen. I think Jerry realizes he keeps fucking up but his ego won't allow him to step aside and just be a silent owner.
Two things I doubt Jerry ever gives up is the GM title and being the team mouthpiece. If there's a mike Jerry will talk.

Well this is where I wish we knew the details...If it is true that he gets the 2nd round pick then it is an interesting list. Jaylon Smith who we will have to wait and see how he turns out. Great player but very serious injury and going to miss most likely an entire year. Randy Gregory...Might not play another down in the NFL from very well known issues with drugs and a very open opinion that he loved weed and wasn't planning on quitting it any time soon. DeMarcus Lawrence...very talented player but again suspension issues and some injury issues if I remember right. So if that is Jerry Jones then to me I would work very hard to take the 2nd round pick from him too.

And it all depends on what FA he decides to bring in. If he is the one that decided on Hardy then we see once again the disaster that was. I mean the whole calling him a leader on the team just made me want to clamp Jerry's mouth shut because we all know Hardy is far from a leader. He didn't need to go that far to try and prop up that decision.

Anyway understand I don't think everything the Cowboys have done is wrong. I think they have made some great decisions as of late. If Romo can stay healthy they should be in the thick of things possibly to the end of the year. I just think owners can be the face of the franchise but also understand that there are smarter people when it comes to football that should be making the football decisions. I would think NFL owners would realize that they got where they are today (at least most of them) by finding smart people to make smart decisions that make them lots of money. Can't micromanage every part of your business and expect it to go well.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's happy hour here and I first read that as circumcising the cap rules.... Even better.

I may have said it before but Kill The Cap..... Slit it's throat. Drink it's blood.....
Probably the worst idea I have ever heard.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hapless perennial losers? Does that include Dallas? Or when does perennial take effect? Dallas spends at or near the top year in and year out. Yet the haven't achieved the holy grail in 2 decades.

They have a really cool scoreboard though......

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The average NFL career is 6 years once you make an opening day roster.

Can you really see guys playing football in the minor league for peanuts till they are 25 & then when he makes a team, he has already put years of banging on his body, is then forced for the next 6 years to play for artificially below market wages? His body would be done by the time he hits FA, and by then, there is the next hot prospect to take his job at artificially below market wages.

This type of system would only benefit the elite athletes & a handful of big city franchises.
That was my point a minor league in the NFL would never work. But to answer your question. If an NFL minor league was the only way or an option to get to the NFL, many athletes would take the chance.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a really cool scoreboard though......
Yes yes they do:thumb:NFLs scoreboard champs. I wonder if you get a banner for that? Hey Indy fans do you know:scratch:

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who?

Oh I remember, he is the felon who was forced into giving up the team for circumventing the cap rules?

He wasn't forced into giving up the team for circumventing the cap rules. He received a year suspension from the league for role in the Riverboat Gambling scandal. After his father passed away, there was a power struggle wih his sister and he had a choice between keeping the football team or the DeBartolo Corp.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess we just view things a bit differently. For me I can't stand to watch baseball as it seems for the most part the same 6 or so teams are at the top with maybe 1 surprise team a year to then watch that 1 surprise team disappear for another 15-20 years again.

NBA is about unwatchable anymore. Yes they have a Cap but teams can go beyond it if they are willing to pay a tax so teams seem to be loading up on super stars. I mean the NBA unless injuries come out of nowhere is already down to about 3-4 teams for next year.

Part of what makes the NFL so special is that teams can quickly climb from worst to first. Heck this past Super Bowl is tribute to that. The Broncos and Panthers picked 1 and 2 in the 2011 draft yet climbed their way quickly to two of the best teams in the league. Seattle went from barely average to Super Bowl contender. Makes it fun to watch from year to year.

I agree, MLB and NBA are unwatchable, but with me it has nothing to do with salaries or who is playing...

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hapless perennial losers? Does that include Dallas? Or when does perennial take effect? Dallas spends at or near the top year in and year out. Yet the haven't achieved the holy grail in 2 decades.

It well could. I wouldn't expect special treatment just cause it's Dallas.

Fact remains, the Excited States watches almost everything with a fervour.