• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eddie DeBartolo Jr. just called out the NFL!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you. I like the cap. Dallas is hard to figure out. All kinds ot talent year in and year out. Yet they can't seem to get over the hump. Starts with owner and lack of team chemistry you'd have to think?

People underestimate the importance of a great lockerroom. Team's need those leaders who really unite the players and get them to play for more than themselves or just a paycheck. Such as just knowing the Broncos Von Miller built a nightclub in his basement that the players could come to any time they wanted to hang out. Players from both the offense and defense would come on a regular basis creating an incredible bond. Throw in this helped keep players out of the clubs and getting in trouble. Being surrounded by your teammates made the players make better choices throughout the season.

To me talent is only one part of the equation of a Championship team. You throw in then coaching, player fit to the scheme or scheme that best fits the talents of the players, facilities, and so much more. Jones definitely just goes for the splash name more so than how a certain player fits what they need and how they will do in the lockerroom. I mean Hardy is a great example of going talent over anything else. Same with their 2nd round pick that from last year that might never play again.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB works without a real salary cap because the franchises have a system in place to keep player salaries artificially below market value for 5-10 years before they become free agents.

The NFL has no way to accomplish that for a long period.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think he was the greatest humanitarian that ever lived after listening to his speech.

Honestly he was before my time. I watched a little thing on him this past week that talked about how much he would spend on the players and the parties he would throw for them and such. Beyond that just don't know much about the guy.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably why he wants the cap gone so that Jerry can go even crazier and at least if he spends big maybe cover up some of his crazy mistakes. I mean for a long time look at the Yankees in they missed on a ton of players they spent big money on but it didn't matter because they had an equally expensive player to replace the failed project with and just keep humming along.

To me that is part of why I love the NFL so much is teams have to be so much more tactical in how they build a team. Can't just spend big money. Can't just hope you draft incredible to build your team. You have to hit in many areas to make a Championship caliber team. Then after building that type of team you have to go and do the exact same thing the next year as most likely you lose some of your players as other teams overpay to have a player from a Championship roster.

There is a fun chart to represent how poor the Yankees have been at drafting the past 8 years against their AL peers. Taken a while and quite a bit of luck to obstruct the obvious decline, but it's there. Also shows that MLB drafting is ... difficult.

draft.0.png

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a fun chart to represent how poor the Yankees have been at drafting the past 8 years against their AL peers. Taken a while and quite a bit of luck to obstruct the obvious decline, but it's there. Also shows that MLB drafting is ... difficult.

View attachment 146079

The Yankees have been down right terrible in many areas. They haven't spent wisely one bit and then when you don't draft well on top of that yeah you begin to fall off even though you are spending big. So money doesn't always equal success but to me an uncapped NFL would destroy the sport. About half the franchises would fall off big time with their best players getting poached for ridiculous contracts. A small market/owner team would struggle to find consistent success because they would be relying on the draft to produce well for them quickly and even there they would only have a 1-2 year window before those players got poached.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,371.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was circumcized once upon a time....

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People underestimate the importance of a great lockerroom. Team's need those leaders who really unite the players and get them to play for more than themselves or just a paycheck. Such as just knowing the Broncos Von Miller built a nightclub in his basement that the players could come to any time they wanted to hang out. Players from both the offense and defense would come on a regular basis creating an incredible bond. Throw in this helped keep players out of the clubs and getting in trouble. Being surrounded by your teammates made the players make better choices throughout the season.

To me talent is only one part of the equation of a Championship team. You throw in then coaching, player fit to the scheme or scheme that best fits the talents of the players, facilities, and so much more. Jones definitely just goes for the splash name more so than how a certain player fits what they need and how they will do in the lockerroom. I mean Hardy is a great example of going talent over anything else. Same with their 2nd round pick that from last year that might never play again.
Good points. I never heard about the nightclub. That's awesome. Likely contributed a lot to the team winning it all. I won three championships on a team that wasn't the most talented. Yet we jelled like no other. Totally busting each others balls, having fun, but always had each others back. Since then I'm a firm believer of how far team chemistry can take you.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 146079
Couldn't be happening to a better team. Ever since George passed away those sons have really screwed things up. I for one am not disappointed.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB works without a real salary cap because the franchises have a system in place to keep player salaries artificially below market value for 5-10 years before they become free agents.

The NFL has no way to accomplish that for a long period.
To a certain extent they do by not having guarenteed salaries. Players and agents are tired of it. Thus we're seeing guys holding out and getting more guarenteed upfront. Good on the players.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To a certain extent they do by not having guarenteed salaries. Players and agents are tired of it. Thus we're seeing guys holding out and getting more guarenteed upfront. Good on the players.

It's not the same thing.

In the MLB, you are forced to put in 2-5 years in the minors at seasonal minimum wage before you even sniff the MLB minimum. Then once you make the MLB, you have to spend close to 3 years of service time on an MLB roster at league minimum wage before you get to arbitration. That could take 3 seasons or it could take 7 seasons. Once you hit arbitration, for 3 years you play for below market value wages. Then once you hit FA, a qualifying offer can be made by your franchise which devalues a player in the open market.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. I never heard about the nightclub. That's awesome. Likely contributed a lot to the team winning it all. I won three championships on a team that wasn't the most talented. Yet we jelled like no other. Totally busting each others balls, having fun, but always had each others back. Since then I'm a firm believer of how far team chemistry can take you.

Oh I think it was a huge part in our team winning it all this past year. They talked about how by the end of the year they knew each other so well especially on defense that they barely had to say anything and knew exactly what the guy next to them would do. Then yeah you throw in just the having each other's back and not wanting to fail mostly because you don't want to let down the guy next to you. Heck you hear of many of the teams that win Super Bowls still 20 years later spending time together. I know the 97 and 98 Bronco teams regularly get together for parties. I'm sure it will be similar for this past year's team. Like I said it takes so much more than talent. That is why teams that go and spend big money in FA rarely actually go out and win because those players haven't built up the team chemistry and just don't fit always what a team is doing. Paper Champions means very little in the NFL.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the same thing.

In the MLB, you are forced to put in 2-5 years in the minors at seasonal minimum wage before you even sniff the MLB minimum. Then once you make the MLB, you have to spend close to 3 years of service time on an MLB roster at league minimum wage before you get to arbitration. That could take 3 seasons or it could take 7 seasons. Once you hit arbitration, for 3 years you play for below market value wages. Then once you hit FA, a qualifying offer can be made by your franchise which devalues in the open market.

And we know the NFL could never do this. Careers are just not long enough most of the time to make it like that. Heck even some of the best players can hardly make it to 10 years in this league. Where baseball they can play clear into their late 30's and even some into their 40's. They can have that 20 year career in the MLB.
Then of course the NBA it works great for them because they have such small rosters. They can pay ridiculous money even to a bench player even though they make quite a bit less as a league. Throw in then for them less injury risk as well.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the same thing.

In the MLB, you are forced to put in 2-5 years in the minors at seasonal minimum wage before you even sniff the MLB minimum. Then once you make the MLB. you have to spend close to 3 years of service time on an MLB roster at league minimum wage before you get to arbitration. That could take 3 seasons or it could take 7 seasons. Once you hit arbitration, for 3 years you play for below market value wages. Then once you hit FA, a qualifying offer can be made by your franchise which devalues a player in the open market.
True but they also have longer careers and guarentees. That andthey carry less players. I'm sure once you hit 25-28 years old and yoyr still in the minors life has got to suck a little bit. I think if the NFL could afford (not $ wise) but player longevity wise they would have a similar league

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I think it was a huge part in our team winning it all this past year. They talked about how by the end of the year they knew each other so well especially on defense that they barely had to say anything and knew exactly what the guy next to them would do. Then yeah you throw in just the having each other's back and not wanting to fail mostly because you don't want to let down the guy next to you. Heck you hear of many of the teams that win Super Bowls still 20 years later spending time together. I know the 97 and 98 Bronco teams regularly get together for parties. I'm sure it will be similar for this past year's team. Like I said it takes so much more than talent. That is why teams that go and spend big money in FA rarely actually go out and win because those players haven't built up the team chemistry and just don't fit always what a team is doing. Paper Champions means very little in the NFL.
Like BB not having players names or #s on their practice jersey's so they'd have to get to know each other. Well until this year where the NFL is forcing them to put tge names and #s back on them:doh:

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but they also have longer careers and guarentees. That andthey carry less players. I'm sure once you hit 25-28 years old and yoyr still in the minors life has got to suck a little bit. I think if the NFL could afford (not $ wise) but player longevity wise they would have a similar league

The average NFL career is 6 years once you make an opening day roster.

Can you really see guys playing football in the minor league for peanuts till they are 25 & then when he makes a team, he has already put years of banging on his body, is then forced for the next 6 years to play for artificially below market wages? His body would be done by the time he hits FA, and by then, there is the next hot prospect to take his job at artificially below market wages.

This type of system would only benefit the elite athletes & a handful of big city franchises.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The average NFL career is 6 years once you make an opening day roster.

Can you really see guys playing football in the minor league for peanuts till they are 25 & then when he makes a team, he has already put years of banging on his body, is then forced for the next 6 years to play for artificially below market wages? His body would be done by the time he hits FA, and by then, there is the next hot prospect to take his job at artificially below market wages.

This type of system would only benefit the elite athletes & a handful of big city franchises.

Like I said you get rid of the system the NFL has right now and we could quickly see it crumble for both owner and player.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like BB not having players names or #s on their practice jersey's so they'd have to get to know each other. Well until this year where the NFL is forcing them to put tge names and #s back on them:doh:

Yup...The best teams in the league do everything possible to try and build team chemistry. Heart and unity can trump talent quite often in this world. Some of the best athletes honestly are some of the worst because they hardly ever have to work for anything and when they finally do they don't have the extra stuff to take them to that next level.

Heck a great example of that is Jay Cutler. He was just recently called by a certain Bennett brother the worst QB in the league. When the Broncos drafted him media folks slobbered all over him. They said they had never seen a QB with such a pretty pass. He could make every throw and make it look good. Problem for him was that he lacked everything else.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess we just view things a bit differently. For me I can't stand to watch baseball as it seems for the most part the same 6 or so teams are at the top with maybe 1 surprise team a year to then watch that 1 surprise team disappear for another 15-20 years again.

NBA is about unwatchable anymore. Yes they have a Cap but teams can go beyond it if they are willing to pay a tax so teams seem to be loading up on super stars. I mean the NBA unless injuries come out of nowhere is already down to about 3-4 teams for next year.

Part of what makes the NFL so special is that teams can quickly climb from worst to first. Heck this past Super Bowl is tribute to that. The Broncos and Panthers picked 1 and 2 in the 2011 draft yet climbed their way quickly to two of the best teams in the league. Seattle went from barely average to Super Bowl contender. Makes it fun to watch from year to year.
Yeah, those Kansas City Royals bought their way to back to back AL pennants.

I'm not even sure if any of the top 5 payrolls are leading a division right now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not even sure if any of the top 5 payrolls are leading a division right now.

I didn't say money always buys a championship. I said that those teams with a higher payroll have easier options to build a very good team. Plenty of teams have done it on a low budget and with the NFL there would be those times that they could build up a championship caliber team. The problem becomes though it is much harder to sustain those rosters because once the top players can hit FA it is hard to keep them. Also not like Kansas City is paying bottom dollar anymore. This year they are 15th in total payroll, last year 13th, and the year before that 18th. So the first year they made the World Series it was impressive compared to what they were spending but since then they have started spending more and hey look they have stayed consistently good. All the years before this run at the World Series though they were bottom-10 in payroll and most of the time bottom-5. Heck 2011 just 5 years ago they were the lowest payroll in baseball by quite a bit.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also again like I said earlier that just because you spend big doesn't mean that you spent right. It just means you have more opportunities to mess up on what you spent your money on and still be ok. A team like the Yankees though haven't spent well as they have spent on over the hill, over-rated, and players that just stunk once they got their money. Then you add in they haven't drafted well at all and it adds up to a bad team.