• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eddie DeBartolo Jr. just called out the NFL!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even fan expectation I think is skewed a little too high...especially OAK...I remember Del Rio as the head man in JAX...maybe he learned something in his time in DEN, idk. Not that this means anything, but I picked OAK for 9-7, but wouldn't be shocked it they won 10 or won 7...they have finally got over the hurdle of winning on the road...DEN was the only playoff caliber team they beat on the rd, but they tied PIT @ 35 late, lost on a last sec FG.

To be honest...the parity I think matters and probably 10 or so of the fan bases can genuinely feel like this might be the year their team hoists the Lombardi...but the NFL would still be the most popular sport w/o a cap...and I'm for the cap...it's just the new American past time. The hard hitting action is there, the perfect amount of games...the only think I see waning is MNF a little.

Part of the MNF issue is the games the NFL gives them. They kind of did a disservice to ESPN by giving them some bad match ups. They do this every year so no wonder viewership is down a bit.

For me Oakland it comes down to 2 things...

1) How do they handle actually having a bit of a spotlight on them? We have seen plenty of dark horse teams rise up then when the spotlight is actually on them crumble. They have talent for sure but they also have a lot of new moving pieces on that team and a lot of times that means some struggle to build up the chemistry needed.

2) Injuries. I think they have a great starting 22. I don't think they have very good depth at many spots on the roster. So a couple of players go down and they could see some major drop off as teams know where to attack them.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the MNF issue is the games the NFL gives them. They kind of did a disservice to ESPN by giving them some bad match ups. They do this every year so no wonder viewership is down a bit.

For me Oakland it comes down to 2 things...

1) How do they handle actually having a bit of a spotlight on them? We have seen plenty of dark horse teams rise up then when the spotlight is actually on them crumble. They have talent for sure but they also have a lot of new moving pieces on that team and a lot of times that means some struggle to build up the chemistry needed.

2) Injuries. I think they have a great starting 22. I don't think they have very good depth at many spots on the roster. So a couple of players go down and they could see some major drop off as teams know where to attack them.

MNF...they thought just being a prime time game and the tradition was enough, but the TNF and SNF games have had an impact I think...I rarely ever watch the MNF game unless it's the Steelers these days...just burnt out if I watch Thurs/Sun&SNF.

1...agree 100% playing with expectations is a whole different that sneaking up on teams.

2...idk their roster that well to comment on their depth overall, but good point because it's tough to keep the midlevel FA guy that might not be a starter, but solid and sometimes depth when you spent heavily on FAs

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeBartolo was booted from the NFL.

I think he had a 1 yr suspension and he and his sister decided that he would take over the family business and she would get the team...He could have come back after the 1 yr but chose not to on his own.
I admire his honesty to own up to his bad decisions and his concern for the reputation of the team going forward over his own desires...:thumb:.....But Pete still got ripped off by the powers that be in MLB......:lm:

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he had a 1 yr suspension and he and his sister decided that he would take over the family business and she would get the team...He could have come back after the 1 yr but chose not to on his own.
I admire his honesty to own up to his bad decisions and his concern for the reputation of the team going forward over his own desires...:thumb:.....But Pete still got ripped off by the powers that be in MLB......:lm:

Don't know much about Eddie D then. He's straight-up goodfella.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess we just view things a bit differently. For me I can't stand to watch baseball as it seems for the most part the same 6 or so teams are at the top with maybe 1 surprise team a year to then watch that 1 surprise team disappear for another 15-20 years again.

NBA is about unwatchable anymore. Yes they have a Cap but teams can go beyond it if they are willing to pay a tax so teams seem to be loading up on super stars. I mean the NBA unless injuries come out of nowhere is already down to about 3-4 teams for next year.

Part of what makes the NFL so special is that teams can quickly climb from worst to first. Heck this past Super Bowl is tribute to that. The Broncos and Panthers picked 1 and 2 in the 2011 draft yet climbed their way quickly to two of the best teams in the league. Seattle went from barely average to Super Bowl contender. Makes it fun to watch from year to year.
Seattle, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, New England, and Denver all basically guaranteed playoff teams. In most years you can add in Indianapolis and Baltimore. There isn't a ton of parity. Yeah, there are new teams in the wild card round but there tend to be more familiar faces than not in the later rounds every single year.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QUOTE="Hank Kingsley, post: 8741622, member: 8124"]Of course I was.

D Day was 71 fricking years ago.

We've backed off on the war industry since....[/QUOTE]
Backed off but you're still a member of NATO and our buffer zone if Russia or China ever come over the North Pole after us.

EDIT: Woops, guess I wasn't supposed to tell you hosers that. Oh well, too late now.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Backed off but you're still a member of NATO and our buffer zone if Russia or China ever come over the North Pole after us.

EDIT: Woops, guess I wasn't supposed to tell you hosers that. Oh well, too late now.

Barely.

I heard our snipers are to die for...

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they wouldn't.

Lots of good players in the league. You think the 2nd best guy wants to be just a backup?

Depends on how much he's paid to be a backup.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not everybody wants to be a Gary Kubiak.

I think a real player would want to play, not ride the pine.

After doing some research...an owners self worth is much less vital to how much the team can spend as opposed to how much the team it self makes in profits and there market value...going by this logic a team like the Cowboys would probably be the most dangerous with no salary cap.

Last edited:

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After doing some research...an owners self worth is much less vital to how much the team can spend as opposed to how much the team it self makes in profits and there market value...going by this logic a team like the Cowboys would probably be the most dangerous with no salary cap.

I doubt any team would go for the best player at every position. Especially because many times it isn't clear cut.

And there are always injuries.

Kill it.....

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is very much true. What research did you do? I never researched it, but that is what my thinking was. A extremely wealthy owner might be willing to take less of a profit from his franchise, but isn't going to use his own personal fortune to compete with other larger market teams. I see a team like Dallas as big winners if there were no salary cap.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Forbes Dallas profits in 15 were 620M and more than 100m over the next team. I don't know if Paul Allen will spend his own money to outbid Dallas, but I'm certain Jerry will spend to win, uncapped him so his mistakes don't get in the way and he'd be dangerous.