• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Eagles face tough decisions this offseason

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on. JJAW caught one ball. He also fell short of the Sticks and was only helped by a defensive holding call.

But he caught it.

Guess I missed that.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and on the topic of whether we need to invest in a better backup, here are the facts on Carson Wentz. It's not pretty. You pretty much have to invest in a quality backup if Wentz is your franchise QB. They made that bed, and I supported it, but now they need to have a better backup plan, because these stats are stark, man.

Here is a copy of what I posted on the main board:

The worst thing is that he basically has been hurt nearly every year for the past six years.

Here is a list I found online, which I updated:

October 17, 2015: Wentz broke a bone in his throwing wrist that required surgery. He missed eight weeks, returned to practice in December and was cleared to play in the national championship game for North Dakota State.

August 11, 2016: Wentz suffered a hairline fracture in his ribs against Tampa Bay. He missed the entire preseason, but played all 16 regular season games.

December 10, 2017: Wentz suffered a Grade 3 tear of the ACL and LCL and missed the remainder of the 2017 regular season and postseason. He also missed the first two games of the 2018 season.

December 12, 2018: Wentz had back spasms that forced him to miss the rest of the 2018 season and playoffs.

January 5, 2020: After staying healthy for an entire regular season, Wentz is knocked out of a playoff game with a concussion minutes after it begins.

Carson Wentz's injury history dates back to 2015

So, in summary--a lot of different things, but clearly, not an iron man. Not a guy you can count on. The Eagles will need to invest in a quality backup, either through the draft or free agency.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need to be clear on something. Carson Wentz is not injured. He was knocked out of the game due to a concussion. Two different things.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Greg Ward as a nifty slot WR but that's all he is. They need two new starters outside at WR. They can bring back Djack and Alshon next year but they better have some better young players on the roster by opening day.
I'm hopeful jjaw is one of those receivers who really has something click going into year two. It's not uncommon for wr to struggle year one.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hopeful jjaw is one of those receivers who really has something click going into year two. It's not uncommon for wr to struggle year one.

I hope so. I think with the rules these days, it’s easier for a WR to come in and produce. But in order to do that early on, you generally need some speed, which JJAW doesn’t have despite that 4.49 40 time, or size, and JJAW is decently sized but only 6’2.

Hopefully you’re right though. He just hasn’t really done anything for me to have confidence that it’ll happen.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a difference between speed and quickness. JJAW clearly has zero quickness. He can't separate.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a difference between speed and quickness. JJAW clearly has zero quickness. He can't separate.

Agreed. A better way to put it than I did.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. A better way to put it than I did.
He was supposed to be the best red zone target in the draft, so I was picturing more of a possession and td guy than a speedster.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On his catch I couldn't believe his fucking feet on his "cut."

Who the Fuck is teaching this guy? And Howie fucked up big.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was supposed to be the best red zone target in the draft, so I was picturing more of a possession and td guy than a speedster.

Yeah...but he doesn’t seem like he’s out muscling or out jumping anyone either.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howie has a clear record of underwhelming drafts and recently a record of overpaying players. This must change but Howie is so far up Luries ass that it will never happen. Disheartening to say the least.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz is fine. That hit would have knocked anyone out, but he played great down the stretch and played the entire season until a helmet to helmet hit took him out of a playoff game.

Peters can come back on a limited role/mentor, but he is no longer the starter he once was.

Kelce is fine. Might need to groom someone, but he is a great center and isn't going anywhere right now.

I don't like Ward as anyone we need to rely on next season. In my mind, we have a full stable of WRs and Ward goes back to practice squad. I think we either hold on to Jackson or Jeffrey, but not both. Go get some young stud. Comparing Metcalf to JJAW isn't fair. Metcalf is a beast. JJAW needs to come into his own, but I someone like Metcalf is a once in a draft opportunity that we missed out on. That doesn't mean JJAW is a bust.

We need a bruiser back to go with Sanders and Scott. Howard took his time recovering from that stinger, so would he be willing to take a 1 yr deal to prove himself in 2020? If not, see who is on the market.

Our secondary needs attention.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota was handled poorly in Tennessee. I think the Eagles would be a good landing spot for him to develop as a backup, get his career going again, and then maybe you flip him for picks if he shows well. He's got an awesome skill set.

Foles would create too much controversy, plus I think that ship has sailed. Eli is going to retire because he's already said he's not going to be a backup for anyone... I don't think he'd be a great option anyway
I vote we get Fitzmagic

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He was great at out-positioning defenders at the college level and out-muscling them for the ball. His footwork off the snap was also really good in college. I have no clue what happened once he hit the pros, but he looks nowhere near like the player I saw in college. Some guys simply can't hack it when they face the upgrade in competition the pro game brings ... I have seen nothing out of him that even gives me hope for the future, he's been that bad.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of you may have expected too much from JJaw. The list of great wide receivers drafted in the 2nd round is not long. Sure there are some studs picked in 2nd round but there is a hell of a lot more bad picks than good picks. JJAW has shown some flashes and that he does have the ability. I personally think his issue is coaching as with the rest of the receivers we had. Injuries aside we all have to admit the receiving corp was just bad

Here are all the 2nd round receivers since 2011. Yes there are some studs like Michael Thomas, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Jarvis Landry and some good ones like Alshon and Allen Robinson most have been underwhelming.

Courtland Sutton
Dante Pettis
Christian Kirk
Anthony Miller
D.J. Chark

Zay Jones
Curtis Samuel
JuJu Smith-Schuster

Sterling Sheppard
Michael Thomas
Tyler Boyd

Devin Smith
Dorial Green-Beckham
Devin Funchess

Marqise Lee
Jordan Matthews
Paul Richardson
Davante Adams
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry

Justin Hunter
Robert Woods
Aaron Dobson

Brian Quick
Stephen Hill
Alshon Jeffrey
Ryan Broyles
Rueben Randle

Titus Young
Torrey Smith
Greg Little
Randall Cobb

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of you may have expected too much from JJaw. The list of great wide receivers drafted in the 2nd round is not long. Sure there are some studs picked in 2nd round but there is a hell of a lot more bad picks than good picks. JJAW has shown some flashes and that he does have the ability. I personally think his issue is coaching as with the rest of the receivers we had. Injuries aside we all have to admit the receiving corp was just bad

Here are all the 2nd round receivers since 2011. Yes there are some studs like Michael Thomas, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Jarvis Landry and some good ones like Alshon and Allen Robinson most have been underwhelming.

Courtland Sutton
Dante Pettis
Christian Kirk
Anthony Miller
D.J. Chark

Zay Jones
Curtis Samuel
JuJu Smith-Schuster

Sterling Sheppard
Michael Thomas
Tyler Boyd

Devin Smith
Dorial Green-Beckham
Devin Funchess

Marqise Lee
Jordan Matthews
Paul Richardson
Davante Adams
Allen Robinson
Jarvis Landry

Justin Hunter
Robert Woods
Aaron Dobson

Brian Quick
Stephen Hill
Alshon Jeffrey
Ryan Broyles
Rueben Randle

Titus Young
Torrey Smith
Greg Little
Randall Cobb
agree. it is not that black and white where if he isn't an immediate stud, he is considered a bust.

I would have expected them to work him into the rotation a little more with all the injuries in the WR corp, but they didn't draft him to be a #1 WR, I don't think.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree. it is not that black and white where if he isn't an immediate stud, he is considered a bust.

I would have expected them to work him into the rotation a little more with all the injuries in the WR corp, but they didn't draft him to be a #1 WR, I don't think.

What did they draft him to be?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did they draft him to be?
I dunno. I am not privy to that info.

Obviously you want him to be there, but if you just want to draft someone who plays the slot really well or is a great red zone target, they have their niche figured out.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On his catch I couldn't believe his fucking feet on his "cut."

Who the Fuck is teaching this guy? And Howie fucked up big.

Howie does great at the cap and contracts, but he cannot make the final call on the draft. You need a football guy, not an accountant.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was great at out-positioning defenders at the college level and out-muscling them for the ball. His footwork off the snap was also really good in college. I have no clue what happened once he hit the pros, but he looks nowhere near like the player I saw in college. Some guys simply can't hack it when they face the upgrade in competition the pro game brings ... I have seen nothing out of him that even gives me hope for the future, he's been that bad.

He also played in the PAC 10, which most of the teams play very soft. I know I'm generalizing this, but it is mostly true.