• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

drafting a Tackle

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I wouldn't be surprised if we drafted a tackle in the 3rd or maybe even with our late 2nd if the value is there. Our OL is our strength and we were incredibly lucky last year not to have any major injuries on our OL. Currently, Boone is our backup swing tackle with Looney/Kilgore filling his spot at guard. With the possibility that Anthony Davis could be the odd man out in 2014 free agency, it gives the FO even more incentive to look for a Tackle in the draft. I think another Guard will be on their radar as well.

As it stands, the only starting spot that we absolutely need to fill for next year is at FS. Everything else is for backup spots (although I recognize that some backups are more important than others in our system, ie TE). I just think our whole philosophy is built upon having a dominant OLine first and foremost - our bend-but-dont-break defense even relies on it. I see our FO highlighting this emphasis in this draft.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I can almost guarantee that Anthony Davis is not going anywhere.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers have opened up at least a 5 year window of opportunity just based on their O-Line
Picking up Glen Dorsey was a nice move by the 49ers

49ers will need to find another workhorse RB with Gore getting up their in age, I would love it if they picked up Beanie Wells on the cheap

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
49ers have opened up at least a 5 year window of opportunity just based on their O-Line

49ers will need to find another workhorse RB with Gore getting up their in age, I would love it if they picked up Beanie Wells on the cheap

If we get another RB he needs to be able to play ST. I don't see that happening with Beanie.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd like to see us grab barrett jones to eventually replace badwin

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can almost guarantee that Anthony Davis is not going anywhere.

not for the next 2 years at least. But when Iupati, Crabtree, Kaep, Aldon, Cully, Hunter, Bruce Miller are all free agents in 2014 we can't afford to keep everybody and Anthony Davis will be one of the more expensive FAs if he continues to play the way he has been. I think our FO is going to have us set up with good young OL options when this time comes and it starts with the 2013 draft. We can't afford to risk having a weak OLine in our system.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
not for the next 2 years at least. But when Iupati, Crabtree, Kaep, Aldon, Cully, Hunter, Bruce Miller are all free agents in 2014 we can't afford to keep everybody and Anthony Davis will be one of the more expensive FAs if he continues to play the way he has been. I think our FO is going to have us set up with good young OL options when this time comes and it starts with the 2013 draft. We can't afford to risk having a weak OLine in our system.

I guarantee they value Davis more than Cashtree. That guy is a money pit. Out of all those people that you quoted Kaep will be taken care of after this season, I bet Iupati or Davis is actually taken care of before this season and I bet that the other is taken care of after this season. We have a history of waiting for several years of production before giving out big money. I think the only real exception was Bowman in the last 8 years. Hunter is replaceable, Bruce Miller is replaceable, Cully is replaceable.

Aldon will get taken care of too. I forgot about him, haha.. (dummy)

Also, doesn't Aldon have a 5 year deal and he just finished his second year? not that we would wait till he is done, but I would bet that we wait till next season.

Also, cap space shouldn't be an issue starting this next year, b/c I remember someone saying we are around $35 mil under this next season and close to $60 mil under the year after. Allows plenty of financial maneuvering by the best cap guys on the planet

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just a side note I just thought of, I bet they have already talked with many if not all of the core guys (Kaep, Iupati, Davis, Aldon) and said, don't worry we will take care of you sorta thing

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If all these guys continue to play like they did last year, Kaep, Aldon, Iupati, and Davis will all want to be paid like the top guys at their respective positions. Just to keep Kaep and Aldon will be incredibly expensive. I'm obviously no cap guru but I can't imagine we will be able to afford all these guys at the top rates, especially when you consider what we will already be allotting to both our ILBs, Vernon, Brooks, McDonald, etc. Of course, who knows who will be cut by then (Rogers?) or restructured (McDonald, Vernon, Brooks?) and what kind of space there will be but I find it hard to believe that a team can afford to pay 3/4 of their LBs, a QB, and 2 OL all at the highest rate, regardless of the salary cap finagling they're able to come up with.

This doesn't even account for the fact that we would still need a top end WR, solid DBs, and a replacement for Justin Smith. Something's got to give and unfortunately I think it will come down to Iupati or Davis. Just look at the Colts when they had Manning and Freeney, the 2 highest paid at their positions...they had to let some really good players go at times because these 2 sucked up so much cap room. I think Kaep will be worth it, I just hope Aldon isn't too reliant on Justin and his dip last year had more to do with his own shoulder injury rather than Justin's.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If all these guys continue to play like they did last year, Kaep, Aldon, Iupati, and Davis will all want to be paid like the top guys at their respective positions. Just to keep Kaep and Aldon will be incredibly expensive. I'm obviously no cap guru but I can't imagine we will be able to afford all these guys at the top rates, especially when you consider what we will already be allotting to both our ILBs, Vernon, Brooks, McDonald, etc. Of course, who knows who will be cut by then (Rogers?) or restructured (McDonald, Vernon, Brooks?) and what kind of space there will be but I find it hard to believe that a team can afford to pay 3/4 of their LBs, a QB, and 2 OL all at the highest rate, regardless of the salary cap finagling they're able to come up with.

This doesn't even account for the fact that we would still need a top end WR, solid DBs, and a replacement for Justin Smith. Something's got to give and unfortunately I think it will come down to Iupati or Davis. Just look at the Colts when they had Manning and Freeney, the 2 highest paid at their positions...they had to let some really good players go at times because these 2 sucked up so much cap room. I think Kaep will be worth it, I just hope Aldon isn't too reliant on Justin and his dip last year had more to do with his own shoulder injury rather than Justin's.

yep, Baalke will have a tough task from next year onward. similar to other teams now, we'll lose good players cause they can't all fit. a few fans here will complain about losing our good players, some fans will STILL want other big name FA's, but the cap is the cap.

yeah, Kaep alone will command a HUGE hit.

the only way to lessen this impact is to have good drafts.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yep, Baalke will have a tough task from next year onward. similar to other teams now, we'll lose good players cause they can't all fit. a few fans here will complain about losing our good players, some fans will STILL want other big name FA's, but the cap is the cap.

yeah, Kaep alone will command a HUGE hit.

the only way to lessen this impact is to have good drafts.

yep, good drafts are key and so is making signings like Boone, McDonald, and Staley. Because they were on our roster and we saw them in practice everyday our FO was able to see their potential and sign them to cheap long-term contracts - it's amazing what we get from these 3 guys for the money we are paying them. Add in the fact that players can't really hold out anymore, and these kind of signings will be huge for us in the next couple years. We have so many solid starters in place right now, but it's actually how we evaluate and financially deal with the backups that will be key to our future success. It'll be the evaluation of guys like Kilgore, Looney, Jenkins (eek), Cully, Trent Robinson, Brock, Spillman, Tolzien, Fleming, Jewel Hampton, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Kyle Williams, Cam Johnson, 2013 draft picks, etc that will be crucial. Can we predict those diamonds in the rough and sign them to long term deals before they can command more...

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OL market this season was interesting, where solid OT were given less then (previous) market value. Guys like Andre Smith and Sebastian Vollmer got significantly less then what Jonas Jennings got 7 yrs ago. I'm curious as to how that may affect the re-signability (is that a word) of Anthony Davis...

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't. I know you are a Ohio State honk, but really, I'd rather draft a Montae Bell or Marcus Lattimore in the 4th round on then sign a guy like Beanie Wells, who has had a chance in the NFL and hasn't really done anything.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yep, good drafts are key and so is making signings like Boone, McDonald, and Staley. Because they were on our roster and we saw them in practice everyday our FO was able to see their potential and sign them to cheap long-term contracts - it's amazing what we get from these 3 guys for the money we are paying them. Add in the fact that players can't really hold out anymore, and these kind of signings will be huge for us in the next couple years. We have so many solid starters in place right now, but it's actually how we evaluate and financially deal with the backups that will be key to our future success. It'll be the evaluation of guys like Kilgore, Looney, Jenkins (eek), Cully, Trent Robinson, Brock, Spillman, Tolzien, Fleming, Jewel Hampton, Dobbs, Tukuafu, Kyle Williams, Cam Johnson, 2013 draft picks, etc that will be crucial. Can we predict those diamonds in the rough and sign them to long term deals before they can command more...

Gotta give credit for extending Tarell Brown before he'd done much of anything, too.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't see Bruce Miller - or any FB - commanding a big payday. And I'm about as big a fan of Hunter as there is (he was supposed to be my big steal in FF last year...that backfired...), but he's not too likely to get a a lot of money as a change-of-pace back with an injury history. If he seizes the starting spot, then maybe, but I don't see it happening this year.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't see Bruce Miller - or any FB - commanding a big payday. And I'm about as big a fan of Hunter as there is (he was supposed to be my big steal in FF last year...that backfired...), but he's not too likely to get a a lot of money as a change-of-pace back with an injury history. If he seizes the starting spot, then maybe, but I don't see it happening this year.

they definitely won't get big contracts but if we resign them they will certainly cost more than what they're getting paid now. all of the "smaller" contracts add up and eventually affect the bigger fish like Davis, Iupati, Kaep, Aldon, Crabs, etc.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they definitely won't get big contracts but if we resign them they will certainly cost more than what they're getting paid now. all of the "smaller" contracts add up and eventually affect the bigger fish like Davis, Iupati, Kaep, Aldon, Crabs, etc.

I don't disagree in general, particularly for our blue-chip guys. But Gore probably won't be on the books in another year or two, either. There's a good chance the RB position will show a savings, even if we re-sign Miller and Hunter.

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't disagree in general, particularly for our blue-chip guys. But Gore probably won't be on the books in another year or two, either. There's a good chance the RB position will show a savings, even if we re-sign Miller and Hunter.

Yeah it will be interesting to see the choices we make...we certainly will have some steep contracts in a few years, steeper than what we have on the books right now for sure. Hopefully the new TV deals work to our advantage and force the salary cap to rise considerably, as predicted.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OL market this season was interesting, where solid OT were given less then (previous) market value. Guys like Andre Smith and Sebastian Vollmer got significantly less then what Jonas Jennings got 7 yrs ago. I'm curious as to how that may affect the re-signability (is that a word) of Anthony Davis...

jonas jennings was given LT money