• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PreSeason 49ers vs. Chiefs

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some quick thoughts on the game:

Lance. Stats say 5 of 14, but 2 of his quick screens were called backward passes (runs) and he had 3 bad drops (Cracraft, James, Aiyuk) and 2 of those would've been easy 1st down gains and drive extenders. So, his stats were better than they looked. He hit a few strikes downfield (Sherfield and Woerner) that looked amazing. But it was clear that the backup OL couldn't protect him. Overall, very encouraging.

Why didn't we see more bootlegs, rollouts, and fake runs for Lance?

Is Richie James scared of the ball? Dude dropped one and alligator armed another one. I saw some reports that he's having similar issues in camp. That doesn't bode well for him with the formerly left-for-dead Jennings coming on at WR--dude had a couple of nice plays on Saturday.

Aiyuk had a nice gain on a quick screen, but he dropped the only other ball thrown his way (Lance's first attempt).

TE Jordan Matthews has some real potential at TE after switching from WR, but the guy does struggle at blocking.

Wow was our backup OL bad. Particularly the backup OTs. Moore is a rookie, and he was drafted as more of a OG, so he's got an excuse, but Coleman is a veteran and he looked very shaky out there.

Hasty showed well again at RB, but he had a bad fumble (as did our other RB). That's gotta get cleared up before the season.

Our starting defense didn't play. I think one of our LBs was the only starter. They held up surprisingly well against the Chiefs 1's.

We got very little pass rush against the Chief starters, but our backups did ok against theirs.

Surprised to see Lenoir outplayed Ambry at CB.

Hufanga--the late rounder played better than I thought. Sure, he's good at STs, but throwing him out there at safety confirmed that he can't really cover in man/man, but closer to the LOS, he's a pretty good player, sure tackler with lots of energy. Some real potential there.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After lance got bounced around a little he got gun shy. Threw two passes right into coverage that should have been intercepted and then he didn't complete another throw. He looked good early but looked pretty bad later. I liked the TD throw and the throw to Woerner but he panicked when the rush got near him; as opposed to what Justin Fields did who found a way to escape and make something out of nothing. I thought that was the reason we got Lance.
It was about what I expected, he has some potential but a lot of learning to do. Can't pass judgement on a guy after 30 plays in one exhibition game. Some reason for hope and some for disappointment
I think the problem is that the press was over-hyping this guy's practice performance so much that we expected more when we probably shouldn't have
I look forward to seeing what he does next week

Other than that, I saw nothing of interest in this game because no one stood out and most of the guys we saw won't be playing during the season. We already lost the Guard from Notre Dame we were counting on to start. He's out for multiple weeks. I hope last year's injury nonsense doesn't happen again.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lance. Stats say 5 of 14, but 2 of his quick screens were called backward passes (runs) and he had 3 bad drops (Cracraft, James, Aiyuk) and 2 of those would've been easy 1st down gains and drive extenders. So, his stats were better than they looked. He hit a few strikes downfield (Sherfield and Woerner) that looked amazing. But it was clear that the backup OL couldn't protect him. Overall, very encouraging.

Is Richie James scared of the ball? Dude dropped one and alligator armed another one. I saw some reports that he's having similar issues in camp. That doesn't bode well for him with the formerly left-for-dead Jennings coming on at WR--dude had a couple of nice plays on Saturday.

Aiyuk had a nice gain on a quick screen, but he dropped the only other ball thrown his way (Lance's first attempt).

TE Jordan Matthews has some real potential at TE after switching from WR, but the guy does struggle at blocking.

Wow was our backup OL bad. Particularly the backup OTs. Moore is a rookie, and he was drafted as more of a OG, so he's got an excuse, but Coleman is a veteran and he looked very shaky out there.

Hasty showed well again at RB, but he had a bad fumble (as did our other RB). That's gotta get cleared up before the season.

Our starting defense didn't play. I think one of our LBs was the only starter. They held up surprisingly well against the Chiefs 1's.

We got very little pass rush against the Chief starters, but our backups did ok against theirs.

Hufanga--the late rounder played better than I thought. Sure, he's good at STs, but throwing him out there at safety confirmed that he can't really cover in man/man, but closer to the LOS, he's a pretty good player, sure tackler with lots of energy. Some real potential there.
Probably did not see bootlegs, rollouts, and fake runs because it is preseason. I don't think Shanahan wants to tip his hand yet on what he might do with Lance this season. I would also argue that Lance probably already executes those types of plays well. He needs the work playing from the pocket and all that goes on with that.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably did not see bootlegs, rollouts, and fake runs because it is preseason. I don't think Shanahan wants to tip his hand yet on what he might do with Lance this season. I would also argue that Lance probably already executes those types of plays well. He needs the work playing from the pocket and all that goes on with that.

Seemed like the game plan was to have Lance focus on being a pocket passer... develop his ability, keep him away from unnecessary contact and don't put any of it on film. All more important than flashing in the preseason.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

James has got to be on the outside looking in at this point, right?? That was a bad performance.

The O-line looked HORRIBLE... I don't want to overreact, but the lack of depth could mean that they are a few injuries away from having the worst pass protection in recent memory.

Special teams was unimpressive as well. Wishnowsky was very inconsistent. Blocking on returns was riddled with penalties. Coverage was below average. We consistently gave away field position. And Gould missed an extra point. Yeesh.

Really liked Hufanga... didn't at all like the amount of penalties that Ambry took. Lenoir was a bright spot.

Not surprised the game plan was vanilla, especially for Lance.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After lance got bounced around a little he got gun shy. Threw two passes right into coverage that should have been intercepted and then he didn't complete another throw. He looked good early but looked pretty bad later. I liked the TD throw and the throw to Woerner but he panicked when the rush got near him; as opposed to what Justin Fields did who found a way to escape and make something out of nothing. I thought that was the reason we got Lance.
It was about what I expected, he has some potential but a lot of learning to do. Can't pass judgement on a guy after 30 plays in one exhibition game. Some reason for hope and some for disappointment
I think the problem is that the press was over-hyping this guy's practice performance so much that we expected more when we probably shouldn't have
I look forward to seeing what he does next week

Other than that, I saw nothing of interest in this game because no one stood out and most of the guys we saw won't be playing during the season. We already lost the Guard from Notre Dame we were counting on to start. He's out for multiple weeks. I hope last year's injury nonsense doesn't happen again.
I think this is where the level of competition plus amount of recent games played, shows up? Field has more feel in the pocket than Lance, no surprise.

Lance will gain more live action so we'll see how he does? I wouldn't expect him to get a good feel within Pre-Season, but as the season goes on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was thinking the same, first and foremost all QB's need to work from the pocket. It is good if Lance can do the other things later on but the priority is throwing well from the pocket. Shannahan wants him to gain experience reading things, seeing things play out, and throwing from the pocket.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
James has got to be on the outside looking in at this point, right?? That was a bad performance.

The O-line looked HORRIBLE... I don't want to overreact, but the lack of depth could mean that they are a few injuries away from having the worst pass protection in recent memory.

Special teams was unimpressive as well. Wishnowsky was very inconsistent. Blocking on returns was riddled with penalties. Coverage was below average. We consistently gave away field position. And Gould missed an extra point. Yeesh.

Really liked Hufanga... didn't at all like the amount of penalties that Ambry took. Lenoir was a bright spot.

Not surprised the game plan was vanilla, especially for Lance.
The back-up O-line was horrible no doubt, but almost all NFL teams lack depth along the O-line. Whats really dissapointing is Aaron Banks being so far behind? Didn't expect him to play like a starter today, but we get the impression he's far behind?

What i would like to see is our D-line wreaking havoc on other O-lines. Our defense is predicated on the D-line, it MUST be good and set the tone.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The back-up O-line was horrible no doubt, but almost all NFL teams lack depth along the O-line. Whats really dissapointing is Aaron Banks being so far behind? Didn't expect him to play like a starter today, but we get the impression he's far behind?

What i would like to see is our D-line wreaking havoc on other O-lines. Our defense is predicated on the D-line, it MUST be good and set the tone.
Totally agree on Banks.... so disappointed that he isn't challenging Brunskill for a starting spot. Brunskill should be coming off the bench. He's not really a starter in this league, but a solid #1 backup.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.************.com/articles/149217-heres-what-greg-cosell-trey-lance-during-49ers-chiefs/

A fair assessment that Lance was quick when the first read wasn't there, and he threw too hard. But this is what you'd expect from someone with little game experience, and a rookie. Nothing surprising and for me, i expected worse.

These things are 'easily' correctable as he keeps playing more and more.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance played well considering all circumstances - A guy in a lesser college division, who has only played 1 game in some 20 months, and not utilized to his strengths. He showed he can make all the throws, go through reads and hang in the pocket without getting rattled. His mechanics became sloppy as the game went on, and he had a couple of throws that could've easily been picks. His Oline and receivers did him no favours with poor blocking/drops respectively, but he also played a part in at least one of those sacks (perhaps two), as he's got to learn the aspects of hot reads.

All in all, I was just glad to see him out there and look forward to see him against the Chargers.