• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Day Thread ( I was looking for it! )

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine speed guys drop weight to run the 40 but witherspoon didnt run the 40 at the combine. Thats another red flag to me. Njigba didnt run it either.

Both Njigba and Witherspoon ran on their pro days. Carter didn't run at any time. Neither did Tyree Wilson. Neither did Mazi Smith. Seems like you are pretty selective with your red flags.

The arrest warrant led in part I feel to a shitty pro day. Saying that wasnt why he dropped is a bit of a retcon.

I'm sure it did. But the fact that he couldn't get his shit together for his pro day probably hurt him as much as anything else. Like I said, I wanted the Seahawks to draft Carter. But I have to believe that they saw something in their interviews that they did not like.

Espn had Nolan smith rated higher. Im not gonna go digging through every ranking but thats one that says njigba wasn't bpa

Oh come on. ESPN had Nolan Smith one spot higher than Njiba and he was one of 3 players higher on their list than Njigba that was still available. The others were Kincaid and Will Levis. Smith was one of the biggest fallers in the draft relative to his general draft rank. Probably because he is a 235 lb defensive end. No way he helps our run defense.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
since 2016, CBs taken #5 or higher have a pretty good track record. It's old thinking that CBs don't warrant top 5 picks. If remaining healthy, Witherspoon should make an immediate impact.
Completely agree. The more I watch of him I think he could actually come in and compete to be the best CB on this team.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Njigba and Witherspoon ran on their pro days. Carter didn't run at any time. Neither did Tyree Wilson. Neither did Mazi Smith. Seems like you are pretty selective with your red flags.
40 time is key for DBs and WRs, not so much 300lb DTs. as far as wilson, i wasnt sure about taking, didnt look fast on tape and has a slow get off.
I'm sure it did. But the fact that he couldn't get his shit together for his pro day probably hurt him as much as anything else. Like I said, I wanted the Seahawks to draft Carter. But I have to believe that they saw something in their interviews that they did not like.
we will have to wait and see how he turns out.
Oh come on. ESPN had Nolan Smith one spot higher than Njiba and he was one of 3 players higher on their list than Njigba that was still available. The others were Kincaid and Will Levis. Smith was one of the biggest fallers in the draft relative to his general draft rank. Probably because he is a 235 lb defensive end. No way he helps our run defense.
so he wasnt bpa? we could have easily picked smith or kincaid if we were going BPA regardless of need. I dont think its 100% clear cut that njigba was BPA. they wanted a WR so they took one.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
40 time is key for DBs and WRs, not so much 300lb DTs. as far as wilson, i wasnt sure about taking, didnt look fast on tape and has a slow get off.

so he wasnt bpa? we could have easily picked smith or kincaid if we were going BPA regardless of need. I dont think its 100% clear cut that njigba was BPA. they wanted a WR so they took one.
Sherman never had a great 40 time

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They made a decision on Carter. Maybe it was the right one. Maybe it was the wrong one. But they have more information than we have. We will find out in the future whether that worked or not.

BPA doesn't mean take BPA no matter what. The Chiefs aren't going to draft a QB in the 1st round simply because they are BPA.

It's also about fit. You want players that fit your system and, yes, fill a need. But you don't draft a player simply to fill a need. That's how you wind up drafting LJ Collier.

Every single team creates their own big board of players. That big board is already structured to simply take the best player available at the slot they are taking. Or if there are no players that grade high enough for that slot, trade down. I don't think that the Seahawks were going to take any WR. I don't think they would have taken Quetin Johnston, for instance. Maybe they would have taken Zay Flowers but even he is a big question mark.

As you said upthread it is possible that they would have taken Kancey if he were still available. Or Lukas Van Ness. We will never know.

What we DO know is that the team didn't really reach for any player. You could argue that Hall and Charbonet were reaches but I really don't think so. Every one of our picks were reasonable based on consensus slot. That's all we can hope for because this team has falls on its face when it goes rogue.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think we really disagree that much, im just very concerned they didnt do enough to shore up a historically bad run D.
Im not looking forward to watching this defense

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think we really disagree that much, im just very concerned they didnt do enough to shore up a historically bad run D.
Im not looking forward to watching this defense

I think we all have concerns. And so did Pete and John since they made wholesale changes to their run defense. Now it remains to be seen how effective those changes will but I do think the run defense will be better next season. Whether that means they go from terrible to medicore or to average remains to be seen. Maybe they think Myles Adams and Bryan Mone and Dre Jones and Jarran Reed will help there.

I do think the pass defense should be better. I think Hall will help with that. I think Robinson coming back will help.

But ultimately, there simply aren't a lot of guys early in the draft that are stout run defenders. So there is no reason to draft them early.

Warden

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We drafted the top CB and top WR in the draft. In Pete and Johns 13 years here we only once drafted a player who was the top player of his position and that as Micheal Dixon

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lower you pick the less likely they will work out
Then why do you always state that this franchise should draft RB's late in the draft? You mention Carson and Rawls when bringing that up...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We drafted the top CB and top WR in the draft. In Pete and Johns 13 years here we only once drafted a player who was the top player of his position and that as Micheal Dixon
????
you mean Michael Dickson?

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why do you always state that this franchise should draft RB's late in the draft? You mention Carson and Rawls when bringing that up...
RBs are a dime a dozen and except in rare cases, one use only. it doesnt make sense to spend top draft capital on them.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RBs are a dime a dozen and except in rare cases, one use only. it doesnt make sense to spend top draft capital on them.

That really isn't true. And we've seen this born out in the past. We've had at least 2 different seasons scuttled because our primary RBs were injured and we wound up having to rely on guys like Travis Homer and DJ Dallas.

The reason why RBs are lower priority in the draft for a lot of teams is that they get injured a lot and have short careers. Teams are almost never well served giving top tier RBs 2nd contracts.

I agree that there isn't much value in drafting a RB early in the 1st round. I think the Lions wildly overdrafted Gibbs. I don't think that #52 is too early a spot to draft a RB. Especially given that there seems to be a dramatic drop off in talent after Charbonet, at least based on the draftniks.

This offense needs a strong running game. Geno is not the sort of QB that can carry the team.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That really isn't true. And we've seen this born out in the past. We've had at least 2 different seasons scuttled because our primary RBs were injured and we wound up having to rely on guys like Travis Homer and DJ Dallas.
You can get starters later in the draft, it happens all the time. Its the one position that consistently produces with late picks. Pacheco was a 7th rounder.
Of course it helps if you have an OL that can run block.
The reason why RBs are lower priority in the draft for a lot of teams is that they get injured a lot and have short careers. Teams are almost never well served giving top tier RBs 2nd contracts.
Thats what I meant by one use only. I would almost never give out a 2nd contract to a rb.
I agree that there isn't much value in drafting a RB early in the 1st round. I think the Lions wildly overdrafted Gibbs. I don't think that #52 is too early a spot to draft a RB. Especially given that there seems to be a dramatic drop off in talent after Charbonet, at least based on the draftniks.
Two years in a row, it feels like a luxury pick to me, the run game would benefit more with a better OL in my opinion. I still would have taken a RB later.
This offense needs a strong running game. Geno is not the sort of QB that can carry the team.
Did we invest enough in the OL to do that?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can get starters later in the draft, it happens all the time. Its the one position that consistently produces with late picks. Pacheco was a 7th rounder.
Of course it helps if you have an OL that can run block.

Different teams have different needs from RB. Pacheco is a decent player in a great role.

Do you think the Rams agree with you that running backs are a dime a dozen?

Thats what I meant by one use only. I would almost never give out a 2nd contract to a rb.

Sure. But if you can get 4 years of high production from a RB, that's a good thing.

Two years in a row, it feels like a luxury pick to me, the run game would benefit more with a better OL in my opinion. I still would have taken a RB later.

I think we needed another RB. They could have waited until the 3rd or 4th round. Is Tank Bigsby as likely to contribute as Charbonet? I think most would say no.

Did we invest enough in the OL to do that?

I dunno. Maybe.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some interesting stuff here.

Oluwatimi played in 14 games. 918 snaps. 410 pass plays. Number of sacks allowed? 0. And this wasn't for some scrub DII team. It was as the anchor for the BCS playoff Wolverines.

He won the Rimington Award for best center.

He also won the Outland Trophy for best lineman on offense AND defense. The other players he beat out? Jalen Carter, Tyree Wilson, Paris Johnson, Peter Skoronski, John Schmitz, Steve Avila, and Calijah Kancey.

Here is what one of ESPN's college reporters had to say..
Centers are typically drafted lower than they should be, but seeing Michigan’s Olusegun Oluwatimi slip to the fifth round was surprising — but great news for the Seahawks that they could wait that long to get their center of the future. The 6-3, 310-pound Oluwatimi will play 10 years in the NFL and be a fixture in the middle of that Seattle offensive line. He played on college football’s best offensive line last season and won the Outland Trophy as the top interior lineman in college football and the Rimington Award as the top center. He has played in three different systems (Air Force, Virginia and Michigan) and will develop rapidly into a top-tier NFL center.

I think this guy is going to be an absolute STUD on our OL and will beat out Evan Brown for the opening day spot.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you want them to take a small CB at 5?
Here's my feeling on this pick. I think the FO believed as most of us did was Anderson was going to fall to 1.5 with the Cards moving back which did happen but not many if anyone had the Texans trading up. We all figured one of the QB needy teams would trade up making 4 QBs taken in a row and bam Anderson is a Hawk but unfortunately Texans threw away tons of draft capital (Idiots since doing a rebuild) and taking a CB at 1.5 was plan B.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets not be overly stupid about runningbacks. You can get "serviceable" RB after the 3rd round but not all of them not even 50% of them become starters or stars. Now that flips when you talk about 1st through 3rd round picks. Yes you can get good RB after the 3rd but a Chris Carson type is RARE!

Now after saying that, this team didn't need another star RB and i would have liked to see a ILB or DT taken.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets not be overly stupid about runningbacks. You can get "serviceable" RB after the 3rd round but not all of them not even 50% of them become starters or stars. Now that flips when you talk about 1st through 3rd round picks. Yes you can get good RB after the 3rd but a Chris Carson type is RARE!

Now after saying that, this team didn't need another star RB and i would have liked to see a ILB or DT taken.
RB shelf life is too short, and injury potential too high, to spend premium draft picks on them. A team is better off investing later picks every year and having a stable of them you can cycle through.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB shelf life is too short, and injury potential too high, to spend premium draft picks on them. A team is better off investing later picks every year and having a stable of them you can cycle through.

I get the pick, we 100% needed a RB but drafting one so early stung yes but the quality was there. Thats the thing you are forgetting. BUT like I have stated I would have much rather went ILB/DT but the talent level didn't match what they got with Z. Charbonnet. He will be an exciting 3rd down back.