• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft Day Thread ( I was looking for it! )

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB shelf life is too short, and injury potential too high, to spend premium draft picks on them. A team is better off investing later picks every year and having a stable of them you can cycle through.
I tend to agree with you, but I absolutely love our draft. We filled some big holes, and should have a very good team next year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some interesting stuff here.

Oluwatimi played in 14 games. 918 snaps. 410 pass plays. Number of sacks allowed? 0. And this wasn't for some scrub DII team. It was as the anchor for the BCS playoff Wolverines.

He won the Rimington Award for best center.

He also won the Outland Trophy for best lineman on offense AND defense. The other players he beat out? Jalen Carter, Tyree Wilson, Paris Johnson, Peter Skoronski, John Schmitz, Steve Avila, and Calijah Kancey.

Here is what one of ESPN's college reporters had to say..

I think this guy is going to be an absolute STUD on our OL and will beat out Evan Brown for the opening day spot.
I agree. When we drafted him I immediately read his scouting report and was extremely confused how he fell to the 5th round. Really the only knock on him is that he can only play center and that he's a bit slow. That doesn't really matter as you don't exactly ask centers to move much.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the pick, we 100% needed a RB but drafting one so early stung yes but the quality was there. Thats the thing you are forgetting. BUT like I have stated I would have much rather went ILB/DT but the talent level didn't match what they got with Z. Charbonnet. He will be an exciting 3rd down back.
I like Charbonnet a lot. I still love Kenneth Walker, but I could actually see Charbonnet stealing a decent amount of snaps from Walker. He's better in short yardage, pass protection and receiving ability. Love Walker, but Charbonnet excels in areas that Walker isn't exceptional at.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. When we drafted him I immediately read his scouting report and was extremely confused how he fell to the 5th round. Really the only knock on him is that he can only play center and that he's a bit slow. That doesn't really matter as you don't exactly ask centers to move much.

And he may not pan out. But I love that the guy was constantly driven to be better. Changed schools a couple of time until he got to a national title contender. Won basically every award he could win.

As I said, I watched a lot of Wolverines games and his name was CONSTANTLY brought up as a force on the OL.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty cool article about what was going on in the Seahawks warroom.

Obviously, you can't treat it all as gospel as they are unlikely to fess missing on a player they really wanted. But some pretty interesting points in this story.

1. They had a 1st round grade for Derrick Hall and they only had 21 players with 1st round grades.
2. They were bouncing between a interior lineman and Charbonet and went with Zach because he was the best player available.
3. This article would suggest that they are focused on BPA and not filling needs with reaches these days.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete was on with Brock and Salk this week. Pretty interesting discussion. He had his typical rah rah optimism of course. But his comments about the defense were pretty interesting.

He said that they have been a team that had run a 4-3 defense with 3-4 personnel historically and that they made some tweaks last year.

Also, it would appear we signed Mario Edwards.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete was on with Brock and Salk this week. Pretty interesting discussion. He had his typical rah rah optimism of course. But his comments about the defense were pretty interesting.

He said that they have been a team that had run a 4-3 defense with 3-4 personnel historically and that they made some tweaks last year.

Also, it would appear we signed Mario Edwards.

Well undo the tweaks from last year... lol.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well undo the tweaks from last year... lol.

Or maybe change the personnel, which they've done. The ONLY players we have last year's front 7 are Jordyn Brooks, Bryan Mone, and our collection of edge rushers(Taylor, Mafe, Robinson, Nwosu). Those edge rushers will be doing the same thing this year they did last year which was the same thing they did the year before.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe change the personnel, which they've done. The ONLY players we have last year's front 7 are Jordyn Brooks, Bryan Mone, and our collection of edge rushers(Taylor, Mafe, Robinson, Nwosu). Those edge rushers will be doing the same thing this year they did last year which was the same thing they did the year before.

And Brooks and Mone probably wont even see the field for the first half of the season.. (Brooks at best first half).

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
also why our week 5 bye isn't all that awful

I hate early byes but then again I dislike late season byes also. I would like to be in that week 8 to 9 range every year. Hell they should just do a week 9 Bye for every team then over that league wide bye do something like a skills contest, league softball game, Last seasons probowl players meet up. Just do something different. I get the "oh no we need the games for the revenue!" but this would be the best for the players if you ask me. Dump Thursday nights while they are at it.

Also when they go to 18 games ( And trust me they will as soon as they can which is 2025 i do believe ) then i would start thinking about a 2nd bye week. week 8 and week 15.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate early byes but then again I dislike late season byes also. I would like to be in that week 8 to 9 range every year. Hell they should just do a week 9 Bye for every team then over that league wide bye do something like a skills contest, league softball game, Last seasons probowl players meet up. Just do something different. I get the "oh no we need the games for the revenue!" but this would be the best for the players if you ask me. Dump Thursday nights while they are at it.

Also when they go to 18 games ( And trust me they will as soon as they can which is 2025 i do believe ) then i would start thinking about a 2nd bye week. week 8 and week 15.
They could give half the league week 8 off and half the league week 9 off.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Never understood why the bye weeks were not synchronized...

Guess it's just to fuck with odds and gambling gurus.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched this video on the Seahawks draft and was interesting and had some inside info from Jim Nagy who
has been the Southeast Area Scout for the Seattle Seahawks for the past five years and has been an NFL scout for nearly two decades.
He's now Executive Director of the Reese’s Senior Bowl. Enjoy.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I of course was not happy about the Witherspoon pick, but I can't fault Seattle for taking BPAs and just continuing to stack pass rush (adding Hall). I think Hall went a little early but he was the BPA pass rusher on the board at that point IIRC. The bigger issue I have with Witherspoon is I feel like he's going to be injured non-stop the way he throws his body around with his size. Kam threw his body like Witherspoon but Kam was 5 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier... Also, Witherspoon was a press/man corner in College, so if we're playing him as a zone corner (which Carroll runs) I'm confused. Although I hear he has some of the best instincts out of the class which serves zone well so who knows.

That said,

I was perfectly fine (I think? lol) with the JSN pick as he was the best receiver in the draft and when Goodwin/Lockett/Metcalf were struggling with some injuries last year it was a major problem. Again, Hall is a pass rusher and yes while we sucked against the run taking someone like Smith in the 2nd (assuming he was there) doesn't make sense. You can get run stuffers later. Red Bryant was one of the leagues best run stuffers in his prime and was a 5th rounder.

I think my biggest sigh of relief in all honesty was Charbonnet. I know a lot of people scratched their heads, but let's not forget Walker was injured to open the season and had some other nagging stuff later on and was limited in some games. He's just not an every down back IMO and especially with 17 games now, you really need a couple good RBs. Walker IMO is good for 250 carries on a season, not 350. Now granted he was around 250 but he was not the starter in some games, missed 2 entirely, and was limited in others. He ended the season with 78 carries in his last 3 games. That's too much given his size/style.

I expect Charbonnet to be getting 150 carries and Walker around 200. And sorry but Homer outside of blocking and special teams was not a backfield threat and neither is DeeJay Dallas. Charbonnet is a legit threat that can run, receive, and block and defenses have to stay honest.

As for the offensive lineman we took, A+ grades all the way. Absolute steals there and we now have great backups or future starters across the line.

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fwiw, Shark, the word on Witherspoon is although he predominantly played man, he is also very good in zone. I'm not as concerned as you regarding injury concerns though. What I've see from his hilites regarding tackling is that he seems to have pretty good form. Although a little lighter, he reminds me a little of Earl Thomas. He seems like a hybrid of Richard Sherman's intelligence and ability to read the WRs routes with Earl's tenacity and passion. I guess time will tell but I'm sold on the kid. If he can add 15-20 lbs down the road and maintain his speed, he will be a star.
JSN was a no- brainer, imo The perfect compliment to DK and Tyler and able to step into their spot seamlessly if heaven forbid, an injury happens. This offense can easily be top 5 if Geno can just be good. He doesn't need to be great for this thing to be dynamic. WRs/ top 5 group, TEs/ solid and depth, RBs/ depends on health but 2 studs at the top . Waldron just has to coach it up and Geno distribute the ball. The most important thing is sustaining drives and keeping opposing offense's asses sitting on their bench as much as possible.
The Charbonnet pick was good for the reasons you noted. Two really good "fresh" backs is better than one tired and beat up one.Even the later Kenny McIntosh pick as a depth piece isn't as awful as I originally was thinking. Our RBs are seemingly always getting banged up more than some other teams and we need that running game to keep defenses honest.
100% sold on the building of the Oline. Finally, after all those miserable years under Tom Cable, the team has had the good fortune to find some real talent and so happy Cable isn't around to fuck it up. With the youth and talent, we are set up for a good run in the trenches for awhile if fortune smiles on us healthwise. I absolutely love that center from Michigan.

Still lots to do on defense but I would be happy if the team can just get up to middle of the pack for now to keep us competitive. The makings of a top of the league secondary. Just need the front to slow down teams enough and FFS, get off the field on 3rd down. Seemingly our biggest bugaboo the past few years.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I of course was not happy about the Witherspoon pick, but I can't fault Seattle for taking BPAs and just continuing to stack pass rush (adding Hall). I think Hall went a little early but he was the BPA pass rusher on the board at that point IIRC. The bigger issue I have with Witherspoon is I feel like he's going to be injured non-stop the way he throws his body around with his size. Kam threw his body like Witherspoon but Kam was 5 inches taller and 40 lbs heavier... Also, Witherspoon was a press/man corner in College, so if we're playing him as a zone corner (which Carroll runs) I'm confused. Although I hear he has some of the best instincts out of the class which serves zone well so who knows.

That said,

I was perfectly fine (I think? lol) with the JSN pick as he was the best receiver in the draft and when Goodwin/Lockett/Metcalf were struggling with some injuries last year it was a major problem. Again, Hall is a pass rusher and yes while we sucked against the run taking someone like Smith in the 2nd (assuming he was there) doesn't make sense. You can get run stuffers later. Red Bryant was one of the leagues best run stuffers in his prime and was a 5th rounder.

I think my biggest sigh of relief in all honesty was Charbonnet. I know a lot of people scratched their heads, but let's not forget Walker was injured to open the season and had some other nagging stuff later on and was limited in some games. He's just not an every down back IMO and especially with 17 games now, you really need a couple good RBs. Walker IMO is good for 250 carries on a season, not 350. Now granted he was around 250 but he was not the starter in some games, missed 2 entirely, and was limited in others. He ended the season with 78 carries in his last 3 games. That's too much given his size/style.

I expect Charbonnet to be getting 150 carries and Walker around 200. And sorry but Homer outside of blocking and special teams was not a backfield threat and neither is DeeJay Dallas. Charbonnet is a legit threat that can run, receive, and block and defenses have to stay honest.

As for the offensive lineman we took, A+ grades all the way. Absolute steals there and we now have great backups or future starters across the line.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mcintosh getting a decent number of touches throughout the season as well.