• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Draft and Free Agency

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I know many of us are down and out right now but figured we should at least try to move forward a little. Anybody have thoughts on the draft or Free Agency? Mostly who of our own team do you think we should keep of the big names...Moreno, Beadles, Decker, Woodyard, and DRC are the five that come to mind of the big names. Obviously can't keep them all.

From reports that I have read the Broncos are going to let Moreno and Decker for sure test Free Agency. Haven't heard on the others yet.

Then onto the draft I know it is hard to really think who is going to be available when we pick as that seems to change like crazy over the next few months but any names or positions that stick out to you?

I guess I will start...Of the guys listed above I would rank them in order of needing to keep them as DRC, Decker, Moreno, Beadles, Woodyard (believe me putting Woodyard last was hard to do).

Right now I would for sure lock up DRC. I would also make an offer to Decker but honestly I am expecting him to go elsewhere for bigger money. Moreno I also expect to cash in on this past season and not sure how much I would really want to give him considering his long injury history anyway. Beadles would be nice to keep but to me he is a bit overrated and we could update the position or at least find a suitable replacement.

Now onto Free Agency...First off I would start with moving Champ to the safety position. He has already said he is up for moving to Safety now and I think him and Moore could be the best safety combo we have had in years. This then means that Corner becomes a bit weak. With Champ taking a pay cut and moving positions that extra money can be spent on signing DRC then maybe looking to add one of Verner or Grimes. Verner is going to be expensive but the combination of him, DRC, and Harris could compete with the LOB for top Defensive Backfield. We wouldn't have quite the intimidation factor that they have but playmakers at every position in the backfield looks very nice.

Another spot I would look at in Free Agency would be Wide Receiver. With Decker possibly taking a big pay day I would rather a veteran fill in for him than try to draft a rookie and have them try to learn Peyton's offense. A guy like James Jones would be a nice fill in for the time being.

Now onto the draft...

1st Round--There are 3 main positions that stick out in my head that the Broncos need some much needed help at. Guard, DE, and MLB (at least if what I have above goes to plan). In the 1st round at the 31st pick there are quite a few names that actually stick out that fit these positions. One of my favorites right now is Trent Murphy of Stanford. Guy has a motor that never stops and plays smart. Some others would be Kyle Van Noy of BYU (looks like a potential Clay Matthews type guy), a couple of the top corners look promising as well, and then Ryan Shazier of OSU to play MLB (he is a bit undersized but fast as can be and just has a nose for the ball).

2nd Round--Cyril Richardson of Baylor (OG). This guy is a freight train in a uniform. I would love to see him take Beadles spot and just run Ball behind him and Clady all day.

3rd Round--Depending what we do in the 1st round if we go MLB in the 1st then I would go Jeffcoat of Texas here in the 3rd. Guy had 13 sacks this past season. He is a bit undersized but we have quite a bit of depth at the DE position just lacking some explosive pass rushers not named Von Miller. If we go DE then I would go either Skov of Stanford or Smallwood of Connecticut for the MLB position as both have some speed and are hard hitting leaders.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot of what you say.

Verner makes perfect sense to me, at the right price. I also like Grimes.

On the OL....if we let Beadles walk, one way to go could be to slide Clark over to RT and slide Franklin into the Guard spot vacated by Beadles. (I would also like to see us get a new Center, and that was before the 1st snap of the Super Bowl....lol)

In the draft, at our spot in the first round, a name that makes sense to me is CJ Mosley from Alabama. His cover skills are top notch and he is not bad in run support. (I have not done much research)

I also like the LB from Stanford, Skov.......

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with a lot of what you say.

Verner makes perfect sense to me, at the right price. I also like Grimes.

On the OL....if we let Beadles walk, one way to go could be to slide Clark over to RT and slide Franklin into the Guard spot vacated by Beadles. (I would also like to see us get a new Center, and that was before the 1st snap of the Super Bowl....lol)

In the draft, at our spot in the first round, a name that makes sense to me is CJ Mosley from Alabama. His cover skills are top notch and he is not bad in run support. (I have not done much research)

I also like the LB from Stanford, Skov.......

Only thing with Mosley is I think he goes middle of the 1st round so we would have to trade up. Now given this is early in the process and a couple of years ago we saw Burfict fall from top 10 to undrafted but that was more for his off field issues and attitude on the field than his actual playing skills. If Mosley is available at 31 though I hope the Broncos are running as fast as they can to that podium with his name on the paper.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One person I would love for them to look at for MLB would be Angerer. While he was playing the 4-3 for Indy he was a beast and in on almost every play. As they switched to a 3-4 he just seems to have gotten lost in the mix. Not someone to dump a ton of money on mind you, but definitely a better look than the failed Irving/Bradley experiment.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our priority should be DRC. We really need to keep some consistency in the backfield.

Champ needs to take a massive pay cut or I say we cut him 10 mil is too much.

I think Decker is gone in FA. We will not be able to match anything he gets offered.

Moreno probably goes. I think he and Ball share too much of the same skill set and Ball is cheaper. I think someone will pay Moreno and it will work out for both sides.

Woodyard I am on the fence about.

Beadles can be replaced. I am warming up to the idea of moving Clark to RT and playing Franklin as guard. He seems more like a guard.

Tamme, Dressen, and Kuper should all be cut for the cap money.

In FA, I would like to see us try Verner and/or Boldin. One thing the FO needs to keep in mind is that we have a lot of starters hitting FA in 2015. (Miller, Welker, Knighton, Vickerson, D. Thomas, Julius Thomas, Harris, etc.) I would like to be able to keep a few of those but I doubt we can keep all of them.

In the draft I think our needs go CB, MLB, DE, S, WR, OL.

1) Ryan Shazier LB/Trent Murphy DE (I like Murphy over Shazier)
2) Kyle Fuller CB
3)Skov LB (if we do not take Shazier in the 1st)
4) Devin Street WR
5) Guard

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd still like to see what we could get in trade for Clark. For us, he's a backup, but for a team desperate for LT help, he could bring some nice compensation.

I think we can upgrade from Beadles. Get someone in there who can really push opposing DL around.

As for names, I'm lacking, as I haven't had much chance to perouse the FA list. However, one name that was intriguing was Browner. The big minus is obvious. He missed the whole season. However, that means he could also be cheap to sign. Could it be worth a gamble in hopes he's "righted the ship" so to speak?

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tamme, Dressen, and Kuper should all be cut for the cap money.

In FA, I would like to see us try Verner and/or Boldin. One thing the FO needs to keep in mind is that we have a lot of starters hitting FA in 2015. (Miller, Welker, Knighton, Vickerson, D. Thomas, Julius Thomas, Harris, etc.) I would like to be able to keep a few of those but I doubt we can keep all of them.

In the draft I think our needs go CB, MLB, DE, S, WR, OL.

1) Ryan Shazier LB/Trent Murphy DE (I like Murphy over Shazier)
2) Kyle Fuller CB
3)Skov LB (if we do not take Shazier in the 1st)
4) Devin Street WR
5) Guard

According to SporTrac, we have about $5.8 MM of cap space and another $6.6 MM in rollover. This takes into account a club option on Moreno for $2.06 MM. I think he's worth keeping another year for that.

Dropping Tamme, Dreessen, and Kuper frees up another $9.6 MM. Dropping Bailey provides $10 MM in room with the added bonus of no dead money.

As for 2015, Vickerson's place looks like it could already be filled. If we get another cover corner, that also takes care of Harris' spot, as Webster would develop behind DRC and whomever else we get. Welker by then could be long in the tooth, and may even decide to retire. We might even be able to retain for cheap, since he likely won't command much in the free market. The imperitives to sign would be Miller, and the two Thomases. Hopefully they are handled before they even sniff the FA market. Knighton is also FA, and probably one we should lock up too. Will be very interesting to see how it will be handled by Elway.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the OP Cd. We can all use the "new" train of thought. Guys might like to ckout the latest mock from Bleacher report. Some of the above names are listed as well as a few interesting options as well. Now as far as who I expect ( big names) that might be gone next yr for Denver...Decker, Moreno, Woody, Driessen, Hillman, Caldwell, Carter to name a few. As much as Denver needs help on Oline, I hope they keep all and add quality help. There`s just to many injuries on that side of ball, that it scares me if the depth is bad. From what I`ve heard, Beadles is nasty mean kind of player that alot of you have said Denvers needs on that side of ball so I`m hesitant to let him go. Denver really needs a bad-ass ( Al Wilson type) LB to inject some needed attitude/leadership into that D. Whether thru draft of FA,they need that badly. As for Bailey. I`am hearing the opposite of him switching to safety and I wouldn`t blame him. The saftey position requires a "young" aggressive vs run type player who loves to hit and Bailey doen`t fit that mold( anymore) and I don`t blame him. I would not be shocked if Bailey isn`t there next yr. I think DRC, Harris, Holmes,Webster are a must keep. I still think Carter can get better as a corner/safety if he pushes himself but not sure if Denver will wait any longer for him. I really think Denver needs to have a EXCELLENT draft, FA to compensate for losses and give them a legitmate shot at the big boys in the NL. I`am not to worried about them vs any AFC teams, but they sure need to up it up to not let what happened this yr happen again. That said...I`am looking forward to staying in touch with you guys during combines also. I really enjoy watching it and getting your input on players competing .

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I know many of us are down and out right now but figured we should at least try to move forward a little. Anybody have thoughts on the draft or Free Agency? Mostly who of our own team do you think we should keep of the big names...Moreno, Beadles, Decker, Woodyard, and DRC are the five that come to mind of the big names. Obviously can't keep them all.

From reports that I have read the Broncos are going to let Moreno and Decker for sure test Free Agency. Haven't heard on the others yet.

Then onto the draft I know it is hard to really think who is going to be available when we pick as that seems to change like crazy over the next few months but any names or positions that stick out to you?

I guess I will start...Of the guys listed above I would rank them in order of needing to keep them as DRC, Decker, Moreno, Beadles, Woodyard (believe me putting Woodyard last was hard to do).

Right now I would for sure lock up DRC. I would also make an offer to Decker but honestly I am expecting him to go elsewhere for bigger money. Moreno I also expect to cash in on this past season and not sure how much I would really want to give him considering his long injury history anyway. Beadles would be nice to keep but to me he is a bit overrated and we could update the position or at least find a suitable replacement.

Now onto Free Agency...First off I would start with moving Champ to the safety position. He has already said he is up for moving to Safety now and I think him and Moore could be the best safety combo we have had in years. This then means that Corner becomes a bit weak. With Champ taking a pay cut and moving positions that extra money can be spent on signing DRC then maybe looking to add one of Verner or Grimes. Verner is going to be expensive but the combination of him, DRC, and Harris could compete with the LOB for top Defensive Backfield. We wouldn't have quite the intimidation factor that they have but playmakers at every position in the backfield looks very nice.

Another spot I would look at in Free Agency would be Wide Receiver. With Decker possibly taking a big pay day I would rather a veteran fill in for him than try to draft a rookie and have them try to learn Peyton's offense. A guy like James Jones would be a nice fill in for the time being.

Now onto the draft...

1st Round--There are 3 main positions that stick out in my head that the Broncos need some much needed help at. Guard, DE, and MLB (at least if what I have above goes to plan). In the 1st round at the 31st pick there are quite a few names that actually stick out that fit these positions. One of my favorites right now is Trent Murphy of Stanford. Guy has a motor that never stops and plays smart. Some others would be Kyle Van Noy of BYU (looks like a potential Clay Matthews type guy), a couple of the top corners look promising as well, and then Ryan Shazier of OSU to play MLB (he is a bit undersized but fast as can be and just has a nose for the ball).

2nd Round--Cyril Richardson of Baylor (OG). This guy is a freight train in a uniform. I would love to see him take Beadles spot and just run Ball behind him and Clady all day.

3rd Round--Depending what we do in the 1st round if we go MLB in the 1st then I would go Jeffcoat of Texas here in the 3rd. Guy had 13 sacks this past season. He is a bit undersized but we have quite a bit of depth at the DE position just lacking some explosive pass rushers not named Von Miller. If we go DE then I would go either Skov of Stanford or Smallwood of Connecticut for the MLB position as both have some speed and are hard hitting leaders.

James Jones is looking for big pay day as well at wr so I dont see that happening. Woodyard is a joke and can move on. Champ Bailey should consider retireing. We need guys in the secondary that can hit and make plays on the football and create turnovers.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James Jones is looking for big pay day as well at wr so I dont see that happening. Woodyard is a joke and can move on. Champ Bailey should consider retireing. We need guys in the secondary that can hit and make plays on the football and create turnovers.

and a bad ass leader and one more thing... I wouldn`t be pissed if Del Rio was replaced either.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Woodyard is not a joke. There is a reason he has been captain every year he has been in the NFL for the Broncos across 3 coaching staffs. I would love to have Woodyard back just for that reason. Problem is he is playing out of position as he just doesn't have the body to handle the pounding that a MLB takes. At the WLB position last year he played probably top 3-4 for his position. Somebody is going to give him a nice contract and I bet he has a bounce back year next year.

Champ other than the injury played decent this past year. Not great but decent. Him moving to safety is fine by me. He can be a ball hawk and our defense needs more turnovers. Yes I would love to have the intimidator across the middle but that is what Moore is for. There is a reason he has been fined for hits. Most defenses like to have one of each and that is what the Broncos would have with Moore and Bailey. Both are good in run support. Yes Bailey is not going to lay the big hit but he is going to be a sure tackler for this defense. My guess is he takes a pay cut as he has already said he wants to come back.

As for James Jones he is getting ready to turn 30 and has said he knows he isn't going to command top dollar. He wants to stay with the Packers but I could see him signing with the Broncos knowing he would be catching passes from Peyton. He is going to be cheaper than Decker I can tell you that much.

I guess if all you have is critiques of what I wrote then tell me what you would do instead?

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well from what I see out there..... First off, I don`t see any FA wrs better than Decker out there but Jones at age 30 would be the highest rated as long as he doesn`t expect big money. 2nd.... as far as Woody goes, once again rather have him than any other OLB candidates avail. Many think stinger hurt his play and also his position is better suited for outside as Cd mentioned. 3rdly...I think ILB should def be addressed and the best avail I see out there that are still fairly young/talented possible impact players are Donold Butler-SD-25yrs and Vinny Rey-Cincy-26yrs old. Tell ya the truth, I sure hope we can get some real steals at those positions in draft because I`am not impressed with the FA options available to actually improve Denvers weaknesses.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess if all you have is critiques of what I wrote then tell me what you would do instead?

Malibu's Perfect offseason:

Fire Del Rio, hire Johnny Perfect-Defense. This guy can scheme better than anyone ever in the existence of all sports.

Re-sign Decker and Moreno, Cut everyone from the defense except Knighton, Miller, and DRC

FA: Sign Hardy, Verner, Kuechly, JJ Watt

Draft: CJ Mosley, Clowney, Dennard, Louis Nix III, HaHa Clinton-Dix, Justin Gilbert, and Trent Murphy

Also we will need to pick up some depth so we sign all Seahawks defense.

Alternatively he types in the cheat code for make everyone on the Broncos 7'0" 400lb 3.15 40 monsters.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well from what I see out there..... First off, I don`t see any FA wrs better than Decker out there but Jones at age 30 would be the highest rated as long as he doesn`t expect big money. 2nd.... as far as Woody goes, once again rather have him than any other OLB candidates avail. Many think stinger hurt his play and also his position is better suited for outside as Cd mentioned. 3rdly...I think ILB should def be addressed and the best avail I see out there that are still fairly young/talented possible impact players are Donold Butler-SD-25yrs and Vinny Rey-Cincy-26yrs old. Tell ya the truth, I sure hope we can get some real steals at those positions in draft because I`am not impressed with the FA options available to actually improve Denvers weaknesses.

I think the two moves the Broncos could do that would vastly improve the defense would be 1) Resign DRC (not really an improvement but the guy played top notch all year) then 2) Sign Verner giving the Broncos DRC, Verner, and Harris as the top 3 corners. All finished in the top 10 for PFF this past season and would give the Broncos one of if not the best Corner trio in the NFL. Throw in then that gives Champ a chance to play Safety which honestly I think with his brains he could become one of the better safeties in the NFL. He doesn't have the speed that he used to but this guy could get everybody in the right position and be able to know where a play is developing before the snap even happens. Now I know this is a dream scenario as it would be expensive but I do think it is possible if they give some big signing bonuses and push the money towards when Peyton would retire.

MLB--I agree the talent is just not there in Free Agency. I think this is a position that will have to be addressed in the first couple rounds of the draft.

I somewhat agree there are not better receivers in the NFL than Decker in Free Agency. I think there are a couple of guys that could prove to be just as valuable in Hakeem Nicks (I think this guy has the talent to be a top 20 receiver just doesn't play consistently) and Jeremy Maclin (before his injury this guy was an explosive player and offers a bit of a different skill set that what we have). Kenny Britt could be the huge risk/reward signing. He obviously has some attitude issues and off the field issues but this guy can be a #1 receiver when he wants to be and could just need to be surrounded by some veteran leadership like Welker and Manning. He has that physical skill set to beat the press man that hurt us this year and the speed to make some big plays. Just drops and red flags keep him from being a talent in the NFL.

Right now for me the Broncos are a huge question mark going into this next season. We should have most of the offense returning as only 3 guys are up for contracts and my guess is the Broncos use the draft and FA to replace at least 2 of those guys. Defensively it all depends on development of our talent. With Moore, Vickerson, Miller, Wolfe, and Harris all coming back from injury our defense should improve dramatically from what we saw this year. What will make the difference though will be 1) draft/FA and who we bring in and 2) can some of our young talent develop like Sly, Smith, McCray. If even one of those guys develop this season then this team could be deadlier than we were this past season. I do think Sly and Smith could be stand out players for us this next season.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the two moves the Broncos could do that would vastly improve the defense would be 1) Resign DRC (not really an improvement but the guy played top notch all year) then 2) Sign Verner giving the Broncos DRC, Verner, and Harris as the top 3 corners. All finished in the top 10 for PFF this past season and would give the Broncos one of if not the best Corner trio in the NFL. Throw in then that gives Champ a chance to play Safety which honestly I think with his brains he could become one of the better safeties in the NFL. He doesn't have the speed that he used to but this guy could get everybody in the right position and be able to know where a play is developing before the snap even happens. Now I know this is a dream scenario as it would be expensive but I do think it is possible if they give some big signing bonuses and push the money towards when Peyton would retire.

MLB--I agree the talent is just not there in Free Agency. I think this is a position that will have to be addressed in the first couple rounds of the draft.

I somewhat agree there are not better receivers in the NFL than Decker in Free Agency. I think there are a couple of guys that could prove to be just as valuable in Hakeem Nicks (I think this guy has the talent to be a top 20 receiver just doesn't play consistently) and Jeremy Maclin (before his injury this guy was an explosive player and offers a bit of a different skill set that what we have). Kenny Britt could be the huge risk/reward signing. He obviously has some attitude issues and off the field issues but this guy can be a #1 receiver when he wants to be and could just need to be surrounded by some veteran leadership like Welker and Manning. He has that physical skill set to beat the press man that hurt us this year and the speed to make some big plays. Just drops and red flags keep him from being a talent in the NFL.

Right now for me the Broncos are a huge question mark going into this next season. We should have most of the offense returning as only 3 guys are up for contracts and my guess is the Broncos use the draft and FA to replace at least 2 of those guys. Defensively it all depends on development of our talent. With Moore, Vickerson, Miller, Wolfe, and Harris all coming back from injury our defense should improve dramatically from what we saw this year. What will make the difference though will be 1) draft/FA and who we bring in and 2) can some of our young talent develop like Sly, Smith, McCray. If even one of those guys develop this season then this team could be deadlier than we were this past season. I do think Sly and Smith could be stand out players for us this next season.

That could be big diference maker no doubt. I sure would like to go thru 1 season with this current group without any injuries, just to see how good they can actually be. I know, wishful thinking in the NFL.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fire Del Rio, hire Johnny Perfect-Defense. This guy can scheme better than anyone ever in the existence of all sports.

Re-sign Decker and Moreno, Cut everyone from the defense except Knighton, Miller, and DRC

Draft: CJ Mosley, Clowney, Dennard, Louis Nix III, HaHa Clinton-Dix, Justin Gilbert, and Trent Murphy

Alternatively he types in the cheat code for make everyone on the Broncos 7'0" 400lb 3.15 40 monsters.

2014 Champs baby! Go ahead and just book that shit now :lol:

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Completely way off. J.D.R. gone. Champ, Adams, Woodyard, Lenon, Ayers, Id like to see gone everyone else is fine. I like Vickerson, Sly, and Pot Roast in the middle of the defense for sure. Phillips if cheap I wouldnt mind back. Holliday gone obviously, Decker Id like to see come back but doubt it. See what they could get for Clark if Clady is 100%. Id like to see some guys in the secondary that actually can tackle and make plays on the ball.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woodyard is not a joke. There is a reason he has been captain every year he has been in the NFL for the Broncos across 3 coaching staffs. I would love to have Woodyard back just for that reason. Problem is he is playing out of position as he just doesn't have the body to handle the pounding that a MLB takes. At the WLB position last year he played probably top 3-4 for his position. Somebody is going to give him a nice contract and I bet he has a bounce back year next year.

Champ other than the injury played decent this past year. Not great but decent. Him moving to safety is fine by me. He can be a ball hawk and our defense needs more turnovers. Yes I would love to have the intimidator across the middle but that is what Moore is for. There is a reason he has been fined for hits. Most defenses like to have one of each and that is what the Broncos would have with Moore and Bailey. Both are good in run support. Yes Bailey is not going to lay the big hit but he is going to be a sure tackler for this defense. My guess is he takes a pay cut as he has already said he wants to come back.

As for James Jones he is getting ready to turn 30 and has said he knows he isn't going to command top dollar. He wants to stay with the Packers but I could see him signing with the Broncos knowing he would be catching passes from Peyton. He is going to be cheaper than Decker I can tell you that much.

Its that kind of thinking that homers use. Champs time has passed and where was Woodyard the 2nd half of the season? I dont care if he was out of position or not. He didnt make any plays at all. The Broncos need to get bigger on defense and get more physical then they are. Thats up to the coaches and gettting some new talent on the team. If you homers keep thinking the same way you do or if the Broncos think the same way then next season will end in dissapointment again.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can say I was unfortanately right about this team. Soft and the defense blows and cant help out the offense by making big plays when it is struggling.