• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dr. James Andrews says he didn't clear RGIII to return to field vs. Ravens

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
After the slow motion shot of RGIII's knee giving out, maybe Dr. Andrews won't even clear him now for next August.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Devastating indictment of Shanahan. I can't remember Andrews ever making a pre-emptive defense like this before, washing his hands of a player's condition....though Chris will probably prove me wrong.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Devastating indictment of Shanahan. I can't remember Andrews ever making a pre-emptive defense like this before, washing his hands of a player's condition....though Chris will probably prove me wrong.

No, I can't.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
510087-coach_bud_kilmer.jpg

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ESPN:

Robert Griffin III will require further tests on injured right knee after inconclusive MRI due to previous ACL tear.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mark Maske:

Exploratory surgery is possible as part of the process to determine the extent of the damage, according to (a source).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and now it appears that Griffin may miss some or all of the 2013 season.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
griffon needs to learn how to slide or he might not last through his rookie contract

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Robert Griffin expected to undergo surgery this week on torn LCL and at that time doctors will determine if any damage has been done to ACL.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's idiotic to think you have have a doctor on the sidelines to make a quick call of whether or not a player has shredded his knee or not and is able to return to the game.

If I was Dr. Andrews I would probably refuse to be on the sideline. Why put yourself in that position as a doctor? What are you gonna do an MRI between plays?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Adam Schefter:

Robert Griffin expected to undergo surgery this week on torn LCL and at that time doctors will determine if any damage has been done to ACL.

Jason La Canfora:

RG3 flew to see James Andrews for surgery accompanied by his parents, fiancee, trainer Larry Hess and Dan Snyder. surgery this week...

Sense among the coaches there, who have not received a formal briefing, is that RGIII will be out much if not all of the offseason...

Andrews may end up having to repair multiple ligaments

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I heard correctly, Andrews had to do a "Patellar graft" from the other knee to fix the bad one. Sounds like that means he had to have surgery on both knees to fix the damaged one. Wow!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Andrews sounds a cautious note about RG3 comeback | ProFootballTalk

Now, if you take a NFL running back that’s got to depend on his knee function probably at the highest level, there’s about 55 percent of them that are still playing football after what we would call a successful ACL surgery, about 55 percent still playing actively in the NFL after two years.

And Gore has had 2 (one in each).

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What Washington Redskins QB Robert Griffin III faces during recovery from knee surgery - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

The surgery that Dr. James Andrews performed was a repair of his LCL, a revision reconstruction of his ACL and a repair of his medial meniscus. All three surgeries are significant when done alone. When done together, they comprise a major surgery that leads to an extremely painful and arduous recovery.

Because Robert’s patellar tendon in his right knee was used to perform his initial ACL reconstruction the patellar tendon in his uninjured left knee had to be used to create a new ACL. This means the pain he will have to withstand will be doubled and nearly equal for both knees. Although fully informed prior to surgery, he was hopeful that a lesser procedure would be sufficient to allow him to recover.

His parents told me that upon awakening, feeling the searing pain in both knees, he was immediately alerted to the extent of his injury and the magnitude of his surgery. The disappointment had to be immense.