• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dr. James Andrews says he didn't clear RGIII to return to field vs. Ravens

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Because Robert’s patellar tendon in his right knee was used to perform his initial ACL reconstruction the patellar tendon in his uninjured left knee had to be used to create a new ACL.

Unbelievable, I've never heard of them using someone's own tendons to fix ligaments. These surgeons border on magic sometimes.

I usually try not to be spiteful like this, but I hope everyone involved - including RG3 himself - feels really stupid for letting him keep playing out there on what was obviously a very fucked-up knee. There's toughness, then there's insane attempts to prove you're tough.....two different things.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I heard correctly, Andrews had to do a "Patellar graft" from the other knee to fix the bad one. Sounds like that means he had to have surgery on both knees to fix the damaged one. Wow!

There was a huge lawsuit a few years ago against "The Bone Store" for not properly testing body parts sold for purposes like this. The "Bone Store" sold bones, ligiments, etc. They apparently lied about where there were getting the parts from. Maybe SoonerDO know/recalls it.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a huge lawsuit a few years ago against "The Bone Store" for not properly testing body parts sold for purposes like this. The "Bone Store" sold bones, ligiments, etc. They apparently lied about where there were getting the parts from. Maybe SoonerDO know/recalls it.

Wasn't he the CEO?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ongoing cartilage problems often lead to microfracture down the road. Maybe they'll be REALLY good with that procedure by the time he needs one......

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Isn't Ray Mac missing an ACL? Or teams were concerned about that heading into the draft?

Re: RGIII, I thought keeping him in was questionable from the perspective that he had clearly re-aggravated the injury early and was hurting his team. The only time I thought it was very problematic to keep him in for his own good was the play immediately before the injury, when he took that awful sack. At that point, and really for the first time in the game IMO, it was clear that he just couldn't protect himself. Prior to that, he'd at least been able to move a little. At that point, I think they had to pull him. And, sure enough, down he went without contact on the next play.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The only time I thought it was very problematic to keep him in for his own good was the play immediately before the injury, when he took that awful sack. At that point, and really for the first time in the game IMO, it was clear that he just couldn't protect himself.

My guess is that the knee was already completely fucked. The LCL tear is fairly rare, and happens when the knee bends radically sideways - like it did on the initial hit when he hurt it weeks back. I would suppose it was torn the whole time, and it was a *brace failure*, not a new injury, that caused his knee to go sideways on the last play. The brace was the only thing holding his very unstable knee in place all day.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unbelievable, I've never heard of them using someone's own tendons to fix ligaments. These surgeons border on magic sometimes.

I usually try not to be spiteful like this, but I hope everyone involved - including RG3 himself - feels really stupid for letting him keep playing out there on what was obviously a very fucked-up knee. There's toughness, then there's insane attempts to prove you're tough.....two different things.

That means surgery on both knees. WOn't he need those tendons for his good knee?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sickened me to hear Griffin bragging about himself the day after the game with all the "I was a man out there" and "the team can't win without me" nonsense.