• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down On The Farm

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Dude has been killing it since being sent down to AA. I saw something on Lookout Landing that suggested he may just get called straight up to the Mariners if/when Mike Leake gets traded which I don't think is inconceivable.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude has been killing it since being sent down to AA. I saw something on Lookout Landing that suggested he may just get called straight up to the Mariners if/when Mike Leake gets traded which I don't think is inconceivable.

Baseball is so weird. He gets demoted and kills it and his bosses are all tingly over it. A guy in the NBA gets sent down to D-League and scores 30 a game and they just say well ya he is playing lesser competition and the game never sees the light of day with the big club. I hope he takes what he learns and brings it, but I have never had faith in that kid. Never liked that trade.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball is so weird. He gets demoted and kills it and his bosses are all tingly over it. A guy in the NBA gets sent down to D-League and scores 30 a game and they just say well ya he is playing lesser competition and the game never sees the light of day with the big club. I hope he takes what he learns and brings it, but I have never had faith in that kid. Never liked that trade.

I think the issue with Sheffield is (1) AAA is using those juiced balls and (2) His struggles in AAA could have been partially mental and his send down to AA and recent success could have built his confidence up a bunch.

I don't follow the NBA all that much so I can't really make the comparison, but when NBA players get demoted to the D-League to my knowledge they just don't have what it takes to be a regular at the NBA level.

My fingers are crossed it works out, but I've soured on it substantially after defending it. I read a lot of reports that many scouts thought he might be best suited in the bullpen. A Seattle Times article indicates that his next promotion would likely be straight to the majors so I guess we'll see what happens.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Pipeline updated their prospect rankings/grades and I also believe they perhaps edited the scouting reports although I'm not sure on that. Here is how they graded the top 10 Mariners prospects with the overall ranking in parenthesis:

1. Jarred Kelenic, OF (#24)
2. Julio Rodriguez, OF (#54)
3. Logan Gilbert, RHP (#51)
4. Evan White, 1B (#74)
5. Justin Dunn, RHP (#77)
6. George Kirby, RHP
7. Cal Raleigh, C
8. Jake Fraley, OF
9. Justus Sheffield, LHP
10. Kyle Lewis, OF

I don't know why in their rankings they currently have Logan Gilbert ranked higher then Rodriguez in their top 100 but third in the Mariners top prospect ranking.

Worth noting that in 2017 the Mariners only had one top-100 prospect (Kyle Lewis)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the issue with Sheffield is (1) AAA is using those juiced balls and (2) His struggles in AAA could have been partially mental and his send down to AA and recent success could have built his confidence up a bunch.

I don't follow the NBA all that much so I can't really make the comparison, but when NBA players get demoted to the D-League to my knowledge they just don't have what it takes to be a regular at the NBA level.

My fingers are crossed it works out, but I've soured on it substantially after defending it. I read a lot of reports that many scouts thought he might be best suited in the bullpen. A Seattle Times article indicates that his next promotion would likely be straight to the majors so I guess we'll see what happens.

It wouldn't kill me if they used him in a deal to get a MLB pitcher. I like Boyd from Detroit. I remember rumors last year M's were interested in him and nothing came of it. Now they want the entire farm club for him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB Pipeline updated their prospect rankings/grades and I also believe they perhaps edited the scouting reports although I'm not sure on that. Here is how they graded the top 10 Mariners prospects with the overall ranking in parenthesis:

1. Jarred Kelenic, OF (#24)
2. Julio Rodriguez, OF (#54)
3. Logan Gilbert, RHP (#51)
4. Evan White, 1B (#74)
5. Justin Dunn, RHP (#77)
6. George Kirby, RHP
7. Cal Raleigh, C
8. Jake Fraley, OF
9. Justus Sheffield, LHP
10. Kyle Lewis, OF

I don't know why in their rankings they currently have Logan Gilbert ranked higher then Rodriguez in their top 100 but third in the Mariners top prospect ranking.

Worth noting that in 2017 the Mariners only had one top-100 prospect (Kyle Lewis)

It is funny to me that they rank a young, low level OF who has been hurt most of the year ahead of a guy raking at AA/AAA all year. Baseball...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is funny to me that they rank a young, low level OF who has been hurt most of the year ahead of a guy raking at AA/AAA all year. Baseball...

It’s projection and ego though, which ego is 90% of these prospects sites. Ego wise it is better hitting on a guy who is low level A or even AA over a guy who has made it to AAA. You’d rather be wrong with a younger prospect than one who is in AAA which generally top prospects for teams don’t really go to.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't kill me if they used him in a deal to get a MLB pitcher. I like Boyd from Detroit. I remember rumors last year M's were interested in him and nothing came of it. Now they want the entire farm club for him.

I'm kind of down on him and I don't think he has much trade value right now with his flaws and abysmal performance in AAA this year. Hopefully he continues pitching well but out of our top prospects he's the one I've been the most disappointed in.