• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2022)

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Clark was on M&M this AM and mentioned someone no one here has talked about. He says he has had a solid year and should be a contributor next year.

Has anyone ever heard of this Joey Marciano Kid?

@LHG ?

He's probably been the best reliever in Sacramento all season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's probably been the best reliever in Sacramento all season.

In all seriousness, I stand behind my analysis of his STATS from a few weeks ago. He started the season on FIRE, but has been actually pretty bad for the last 3 months or so.

I emphasize “STATS”, because minor league stats, especially for pitchers, can be very misleading. Maybe he was learning a new pitch. Maybe he was restricted from using a particular pitch due to an injury or just as a training mechanism. Maybe the was only brought in against righties to work his L/R splits. Who knows?

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all seriousness, I stand behind my analysis of his STATS from a few weeks ago. He started the season on FIRE, but has been actually pretty bad for the last 3 months or so.

I emphasize “STATS”, because minor league stats, especially for pitchers, can be very misleading. Maybe he was learning a new pitch. Maybe he was restricted from using a particular pitch due to an injury or just as a training mechanism. Maybe the was only brought in against righties to work his L/R splits. Who knows?
I'd say he's not been good for the past month and a half but, even then, the numbers are conflicting. Consider this breakdown by month (I'll bold the mediocre numbers):
April - 9 games, 1.04 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, .233 BAA, 7.3 K/9
May - 8 games, 4.22 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, .189 BAA, 11 K/9
June - 11 games, 2.19 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, .200 BAA, 9.9 K/9
July - 10 games, 2.25 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, .273 BAA, 10.1 K/9
August - 9 games, 9.72 ERA, 2.64 WHIP, .389 BAA, 9.7 K/9
September - 5 games, 5.40 ERA, 1.65 WHIP, .231 BAA, 8.1 K/9

His WHIP and BAA weren't pretty in July but he was able to keep his ERA down. August, though, everything blew up. He allowed runs to score in the first 5 games of the month before throwing 5 consecutive appearances without allowing a run. But 3 of his last 4 appearances have been poor.

However, consider his teammates when factoring in how his season has gone. Of the 50(!) pitchers to throw in at least 1 game for the RiverCats this season, only 12 have posted a better ERA than Marciano, to date. Only 4 of those 12 have thrown in 10 or more games. Two of those 4 pitchers are currently on the Giants' big league roster (Marte and Llovera, who is on the 60 day IL). That leaves only Shelby Miller and RJ Dabovich who have pitched in 10 or more games and posted a better ERA than Marciano.

Also looking at those 50 pitchers, about half of them (24) have posted a better WHIP. Only 10 of those 24 have pitched in 10 or more games. In addition to Llovera and Marte, Luis Ortiz is also on the big league roster and Gregory Santos is also on the 60 day IL. That leaves 6 other pitchers with a better WHIP than Marciano (Miller, Wei-Chieh Huang, Tristan Beck, Dabovich, Raynel Espinal and Enmanuel De Jesus). Espinal has been released by the Giants, claimed by the Reds, who recently promoted and then demoted him.

It could well be argued that Miller and Dabovich deserve a call up before Marciano but no others have looked better than him, even with his late season meltdowns.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Clark was on M&M this AM and mentioned someone no one here has talked about. He says he has had a solid year and should be a contributor next year.

Has anyone ever heard of this Joey Marciano Kid?

@LHG ?
Never heard of him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison with another stellar start at Richmond today (Wednesday.)

5 IP
4 H
1 ER
0 W
6 K

He threw 69 pitches, so it looks they are keeping him on a pitch count late in the year. I believe his last start was 65 pitches.

Schmitt was 3-5 and is hitting .358 at AA (OPS .955) with 106 AB

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison with another stellar start at Richmond today (Wednesday.)

5 IP
4 H
1 ER
0 W
6 K

He threw 69 pitches, so it looks they are keeping him on a pitch count late in the year. I believe his last start was 65 pitches.

Schmitt was 3-5 and is hitting .358 at AA (OPS .955) with 106 AB
And both Luciano and Matos have been murdering the ball the last couple weeks as well.

I expect Harrison and Schmitt to both graduate next year and Luciano MIGHT graduate as well, but I suspect they will be moving him to the OF, so that might delay him a bit.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And both Luciano and Matos have been murdering the ball the last couple weeks as well.

I expect Harrison and Schmitt to both graduate next year and Luciano MIGHT graduate as well, but I suspect they will be moving him to the OF, so that might delay him a bit.
The future is indeed looking bright.

I think Harry, Schmitt, Lucy, and Louie the Killer will all be part of the 23 squad.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have 8 prospects heading to the Arizona Fall League, according to preliminary rosters put out by Baseball America. Luis Matos, Will Bednar, Huner Dula, Carson Whisenhunt, Tyler Myrick, Andy Thomas, Adrian Sugastey, Logan Wyatt

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants have 8 prospects heading to the Arizona Fall League, according to preliminary rosters put out by Baseball America. Luis Matos, Will Bednar, Huner Dula, Carson Whisenhunt, Tyler Myrick, Andy Thomas, Adrian Sugastey, Logan Wyatt
Interesting list. Dula and Myrick aren’t even on my radar, so those are interesting adds. Sending 2 catchers is kinda odd, but it tells us they actually like Thomas (we already knew Sugastey was a legit prospect). Matos is a good idea. Let him continue his late-season surge and help his confidence. Bednar and Wisenhunt are legit prospects who need work (Wisenhunt to stretch out his season and Bednar to try to get some traction). This may be Wyatt’s last chance to show the team he is worthy of the “prospect” tag.

I suppose they feel Luciano has shown enough that he deserves the down time and Crawford probably needs to rest his arm. Harrison has nothing more to prove (he is fully ripe and about to fall off the vine as it is). Schmitt might be in the same boat as Harrison.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reliever Randy Rodriguez has been placed on the IL for Sacramento. With only about 2+ weeks left in the season, any IL stint can be transferred to the 60-day with relative ease. The same could be said for Austin Slater, Alex Wood, and Tommy La Stella. All are on the IL and can be transferred to the 60-day.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Luciano will be playing in the Dominican Winter League. So apparently the team isn’t of the opinion that he needs the down time as I supposed earlier.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants claimed 1B/OF Taylor Jones off waivers from Houston and optioned him to Triple-A Sacramento. Infielder Jose Rojas was DFA’d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I will be at the AFL from 10/12-10/17. One of the cooler features this season is that on two Saturdays, all three games will be played at Chase Field. Tickets will be $14.50 rather than $10.00, but it will be three baseball games. Sit anywhere you want. 11:30 a.m., 3:00 p.m., 6:30 p.m. A FULL day of baseball. Looking forward to seeing the games.

It appears that they keep mixing up makeup of the teams. There may be a formula they use, or just rotate teams. The Dodgers, Cubs, Mariners, DBacks/Rockies, Giants and Royals/Rangers always play in their respective stadiums.

Glendale: Brewers, Dodgers, Reds, Twins, White Sox
Mesa: Athletics, Cubs, Marlins, Rays, Yankees
Peoria: Guardians, Mariners, Mets, Nationals, Padres
Salt River: Blue Jays, Cardinals, D-backs, Rockies, Tigers
Scottsdale: Angels, Braves, Giants, Orioles, Red Sox
Surprise: Astros, Phillies, Pirates, Rangers, Royals

In 2021

Glendale Angels, Astros, Cardinals, Dodgers, White Sox
Mesa Athletics, Blue Jays, Cubs, Marlins, Orioles
Peoria Braves, Mariners, Padres, Phillies, Pirates
Salt River Brewers, Diamondbacks, Mets, Rockies, Tigers
Scottsdale Giants, Indians, Rays, Red Sox, Twins
Surprise Nationals, Reds, Rangers, Royals, Yankees

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eugene is playing Vancouver tonight. Eugene is up 2-0 in games.

Eugene came back on a McCray 3-run homer to go ahead in the 9th tonight, only to have Vancouver score one (so far) in the bottom of the 9th to tie the game at 7.

Update: Eugene wins the title, winning 9-7 to take the five game series 3-0

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Avila Stats, Fantasy & News has had an underrated season at Eugene and Richmond. A little old for AA, but still only 25 (end of July)

And he's a local kid (Modesto), who went to Long Beach State (goooooooo BEACH!)

Could be at Sacramento next year? Drafted in 2019 (Round 26)

I wonder how MLB is going to count minor league time seeing that there was no minor league season in 2020. Or is it business as usual?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Avila Stats, Fantasy & News has had an underrated season at Eugene and Richmond. A little old for AA, but still only 25 (end of July)

And he's a local kid (Modesto), who went to Long Beach State (goooooooo BEACH!)

Could be at Sacramento next year? Drafted in 2019 (Round 26)

I wonder how MLB is going to count minor league time seeing that there was no minor league season in 2020. Or is it business as usual?
From what I observed last year, 2020 counts.

I've seen guys like him before. A bit older but does well. The Giants, at least in the past, tend to yank them around until they fall on their face and it becomes a "we knew this would happen".

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like Willie Calhoun cleared waivers and was sent outright to AAA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Harrison starts Game 1 of the Eastern League Southwest Division Championship. Winner of this series faces the winner of the Northeast Division Series.

Go get 'em, kid!

Gotta love the team names in the Eastern League

Binghamton Rumble Ponies (Rocking Horse: The Story Behind the Binghamton Rumble Ponies)
Hartford Yard Goats
New Hampshire Fisher Cats
Portland Sea Dogs
Reading Fightin Phils
Somerset Patriots

Akron RubberDucks
Altoona Curve
Bowie Baysox
Erie SeaWolves
Harrisburg Senators
Richmond Flying Squirrels