• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Down on the Farm (2022)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. The links I clicked on both showed no stats. I wonder if the website was experiencing too much traffic.
I don’t like the milb website, personally…

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farhan Zaidi listed R.J. Dabovich and Cole Waites as 2 pitching prospects who could appear in a Giants uniform before the end of the season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Farhan Zaidi listed R.J. Dabovich and Cole Waites as 2 pitching prospects who could appear in a Giants uniform before the end of the season.

he wasn’t on my radar, but he has put up decent numbers. Know nothing about him outside his numbers.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he wasn’t on my radar, but he has put up decent numbers. Know nothing about him outside his numbers.

I believe Waites was in the Arizona Fall League in 2021. He did not do well (16+ ERA in only 8.1 innings)

Dabovich was also in the Arizona Fall League in 2021. He did better (1.69 ERA in 10.1 innings).

Both SSS to be sure.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be nice if Joey Marciano got a shot. He deserves it.

As for Dabovich, he's not been impressive in his limited action in AAA but still better than the vast majority of guys there.

And Cole Waites? He's not of the prospect level that skips AAA. Weird.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be nice if Joey Marciano got a shot. He deserves it.

As for Dabovich, he's not been impressive in his limited action in AAA but still better than the vast majority of guys there.

And Cole Waites? He's not of the prospect level that skips AAA. Weird.

Anybody with an ERA under 4.00 in AAA is major league ready. :nod:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody with an ERA under 4.00 in AAA is major league ready. :nod:
Well, that means the RiverCats have seen 12 major league ready pitchers (out of 41 different players who've taken the mound so far) this year. Of course, 1 of those 12 is a position player (Krizan), another 2 have only pitched in 1 game apiece (Toplikar, who has been mostly at Richmond and Weber, who has been mainly at Eugene) and another 1 who was merely rehabbing (McGee, and we know how that turned out). Of the remaining 8, only 2 have appeared in more than 4 games - Mauricio Llovera, who was absolutely dominant in 15 appearances and earned his big league call up; and Joy Marciano. It is Marciano's turn.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LHP Thomas Szapucki has not been officially assigned to Sacramento yet but he is on the 40-man roster, so that is a good bet. Farhan Zaidi highlighted Stryffeler as someone who could be a bullpen option sooner rather than later. He is eligible for the R5 draft in the winter.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peters has moved pretty quickly up the minor league ladder. He was a 2021 draftee, so reaching AA in his first full season is a pretty good indicator of how he has performed this year.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked at th3 minors and saw that Luciano is playing again. He started his rehab in Arizona on Thursday.

I also noticed that Melvin Adon is back in the org. He is in San Jose as a 28 year old, so I don’t see him as any kind of prospect anymore, but it is interesting to see he is still kicking it.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread title makes me expect to see a CCR video posted in it...

Wasn't "Down On the Farm" one of their tunes...? :P

1659782320746.png

Last edited:

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked at th3 minors and saw that Luciano is playing again. He started his rehab in Arizona on Thursday.

I also noticed that Melvin Adon is back in the org. He is in San Jose as a 28 year old, so I don’t see him as any kind of prospect anymore, but it is interesting to see he is still kicking it.
Adon was in a rehab assignment earlier this season in the ACL. His rehab assignment was moved to San Jose but then they removed the rehab tag on his roster spot a couple of weeks ago. I guess they didn't feel the need to move him up any further. He'll be a minor league free agent this offseason and I wouldn't be surprised if he is out of baseball in 2023.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adon was in a rehab assignment earlier this season in the ACL. His rehab assignment was moved to San Jose but then they removed the rehab tag on his roster spot a couple of weeks ago. I guess they didn't feel the need to move him up any further. He'll be a minor league free agent this offseason and I wouldn't be surprised if he is out of baseball in 2023.
Kinda sad to see a guy his age holding on to the game like he is. At 28, you need to move on with your life. How can you play a game for a “living” while making 12k a year? You need to get some kind of skill at this point, son.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From The Athletic (interview with Kyle Haines):

Is there an update on how Marco Luciano is progressing with his back injury?

You have perfect timing on your call to me. As long as he feels good when he shows up here in about two hours (on Thursday) he’s gonna play in the Arizona League tonight. He’ll be the designated hitter tonight.

Is this going to be a couple of games on, a couple of games off progression for a little while?

Yeah, it’ll be probably a couple of weeks before we even consider putting him back with an affiliate. He’s going to transition to DH first, then transition to some innings in the field, and then get up to nine innings in the field, and then back-to-back days, etc. And then, hopefully, we’ll see him back in Eugene soon.

It’s been a while since he was in Eugene, but just given everything that went on that first month and a half or so in that league with the weather and everything else, how impressive were the adjustments that he made from the time that he was there at the end of last year to what he was able to do at the start of this season?

Our kids who are from the southern half of the U.S. and our international kids, they’re not used to playing in any cold at all. And playing through rain and cold is rough on everyone. The fact that he did what he did (.867 OPS in 146 ABs) despite the more pitcher-friendly conditions early in the season that a lot of the other offensive players in the league had to battle, I think when you combine the two, it was incredibly impressive. You can look at his numbers right now, and they look really impressive by themselves, but when you look at the environment, that first six weeks in that league are so pitcher friendly — I don’t know if it’s that friendly for the pitchers, either, but it’s definitely not hitter friendly. It’s definitely more of a run suppression environment. But he was really impressive.

I know a lot of people over-analyze maybe the slow start to High A (last season), but that’s the reason there’s every level to the minor leagues. There is a reason not every level is the same. We all want Marco to fly through the minor leagues. But whether it’s Marco or others, I think we’re seeing that there is a difference between the levels, and they need to go through ups and downs at each level. And Marco went through some downs there last year, and this year made some adjustments and got the experience to succeed there.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From The Athletic (interview with Kyle Haines):

Is there an update on how Marco Luciano is progressing with his back injury?

You have perfect timing on your call to me. As long as he feels good when he shows up here in about two hours (on Thursday) he’s gonna play in the Arizona League tonight. He’ll be the designated hitter tonight.

Is this going to be a couple of games on, a couple of games off progression for a little while?

Yeah, it’ll be probably a couple of weeks before we even consider putting him back with an affiliate. He’s going to transition to DH first, then transition to some innings in the field, and then get up to nine innings in the field, and then back-to-back days, etc. And then, hopefully, we’ll see him back in Eugene soon.

It’s been a while since he was in Eugene, but just given everything that went on that first month and a half or so in that league with the weather and everything else, how impressive were the adjustments that he made from the time that he was there at the end of last year to what he was able to do at the start of this season?

Our kids who are from the southern half of the U.S. and our international kids, they’re not used to playing in any cold at all. And playing through rain and cold is rough on everyone. The fact that he did what he did (.867 OPS in 146 ABs) despite the more pitcher-friendly conditions early in the season that a lot of the other offensive players in the league had to battle, I think when you combine the two, it was incredibly impressive. You can look at his numbers right now, and they look really impressive by themselves, but when you look at the environment, that first six weeks in that league are so pitcher friendly — I don’t know if it’s that friendly for the pitchers, either, but it’s definitely not hitter friendly. It’s definitely more of a run suppression environment. But he was really impressive.

I know a lot of people over-analyze maybe the slow start to High A (last season), but that’s the reason there’s every level to the minor leagues. There is a reason not every level is the same. We all want Marco to fly through the minor leagues. But whether it’s Marco or others, I think we’re seeing that there is a difference between the levels, and they need to go through ups and downs at each level. And Marco went through some downs there last year, and this year made some adjustments and got the experience to succeed there.

I have wondered about why they made the NWL the A+ league. It seemed like to begin the season, every other day was a rainout, and the temp was often in the 40's or lower. That's not baseball weather, especially if you want to develop the players. They need to, you know, actually PLAY to develop. Rainouts and seven inning double headers in cold weather are not conducive to that. Hope the PTB's reconsider and return the A+ league to the Cal League.