• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Don Jones Fined and Suspended for Tweets

TENN.SPORTS.FAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don Jones has been suspended from the Dolphins (of all teams) for his tweets about Michael Sams kissing his BF. Jones is an idiot but i can't get behind the Phins on this, because if he posted those same comments about a straight couple there would be no backlash but because it's about a gay person he need to go to training and is fined. Plus i'm sure the whole Incognito thing played a role as well.
I was just wondering whats is the training for, how to not be a dumbass or how to think gays kissing for straights isn't "horrible"?

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/...-jones-for-negative-tweets-about-michael-sam/

Last edited by a moderator:

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dolphins are trying way to hard to be "politically correct"

bet the union get this overturned exactly what rule did he break?

TENN.SPORTS.FAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:noidea: But i'm guessing their justification will be tweets like this can reflect bad on the organization and the league.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who is Don Jones?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don Jones has been suspended from the Dolphins (of all teams) for his tweets about Michael Sams kissing his BF. Jones is an idiot but i can't get behind the Phins on this, because if he posted those same comments about a straight couple there would be no backlash but because it's about a gay person he need to go to training and is fined. Plus i'm sure the whole Incognito thing played a role as well.
I was just wondering whats is the training for, how to not be a dumbass or how to think gays kissing for straights isn't "horrible"?

Dolphins fine safety Don Jones for negative tweets about Michael Sam | Fox News

I was uncomfortable seeing the kiss and ESPN simply took advantage of it for ratings...I get that.

But...he deserved what he got imo...just shut the F up...no one REALLY cares what you think about this. The sensitivity training is not going to change his views of gays, but it should teach him to mind his own business.

Steelboy84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Correct.

I mean, they should just allow it to happen with no response from the organization so they can get fined and loads of backlash. Yea, that always works. :rollseyes:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"These comments are not consistent with the values and standards of our program." -Joe Philbin

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure after all the bad publicity they saw after the Incognito crap, they are wanting to just get away from the spotlight.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a sad world we live in that we do not have the right to free speech or even our own opinions anymore.

I do not care whether Sam or any other football player is gay, straight or other. It does not affect me at all.
Michael Sam is a football player like any other.
If Sam is allowed to be homosexual, why is no one else allowed to be homophobic, or offended by homosexual displays? I do not care for overt public displays of affection by straight or LGBTO. I do not care for it to be displayed in the media either.
There, I said it, should I be suspended from my job? No, neither did Don Jones.
I'm not homophobic, I'm pervertphobic. I do not want any gay person that prefers little boys around my son anymore than I want a straight person that prefers little girls around my daughter.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a sad world we live in that we do not have the right to free speech or even our own opinions anymore.

I do not care whether Sam or any other football player is gay, straight or other. It does not affect me at all.
If Sam is allowed to be homosexual, why is no one else allowed to be homophobic, or offended by homosexual displays? I do not care for overt public displays of affection by straight or LGBTO. I do not care for it to be displayed in the media either.
I'm not homophobic, I'm pervertphobic. I do not want any gay person that prefers little boys around my son anymore than I want a straight person that prefers little girls around my daughter.

Your 1st point in bold is not true...you're free to say whatever you want for the most part...but, when you say things that are targeted against someone's sexual preferences, gender, color, race, etc. and your employer doesn't approve of it, they are free to take action against you.

I'm with you, I didn't like what I saw and I can come on here and say I didn't like it, but you have to be able to handle consequences should they come your way...I wouldn't go on my company's intranet and say something negative about a gay co-worker regarding sexual preference...knowing what I do about HR...yes, I would get fired.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, dear God... I knew someone was going to try to turn this into a "free speech" issue.:L Buck up, Yankee Traveler... the world is still quite happy (or, dare I say it... "gay". Lol), because your 1st Amendment right to free speech hasn't gone anywhere.

Last I checked, Don Jones hasn't been gagged, handcuffed and hauled off in an unmarked sedan to some government black-site for his comments. He hasn't even been so much as placed on a "watch list" of any kind, or questioned by local police. Uncle Sam has not and will not get involved.

Here's the bad news, though... That same 1st Amendment that allows you freedom of speech, also allows the Miami Dolphins (a privately held entity) the right to discipline, as they see fit, any employee who they deem harmful to the brand. In short... Jones IS free to say whatever he wants. What he's NOT free from, are the consequences of his choice of words.

Unfortunately, yes... the same goes for you. If your employer were to read what you've typed here on these forums and decided it's unbecoming of their core values, they absolutely can suspend you. Would it be warranted? Well... no... not in MY opinion, at least. But, it's their opinion that matters, not your peers.

Oh, and btw... "gay people who prefer little boys/girls" are called "p*****iles". Nobody likes a p*****ile. But, there are no openly p*****ilic players in the NFL, to date. So, you can still take your son to Rams games without fear. :)

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would assume that's the reason. Most contracts have a clause about "bringing the company into disrepute". This probably comes under that.

Thank friggin God I work in an 'at will' employment state. 'we're letting you go because we want to' is all we need to say.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yankee Traveler;4929472[B said:
]It is a sad world we live in that we do not have the right to free speech or even our own opinions anymore.[/B]

We are lucky to live in a country that has freedom of speech. A lot of countries, you say the wrong thing, your family gets raped, you get beheaded ,hung or firing squad. Thank God for the good ole USA

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But...he deserved what he got imo...just shut the F up...no one REALLY cares what you think about this. The sensitivity training is not going to change his views of gays, but it should teach him to mind his own business.

Why should he? ESPN felt strong enough to display it for everyone to see, so why cant he have his opinion? Maybe ESPN should straighten the F up.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for the Dolphins.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should he? ESPN felt strong enough to display it for everyone to see, so why cant he have his opinion? Maybe ESPN should straighten the F up.

I stand corrected...a wise man would mind his own business...else, don't complain should your employer respond to what you say.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand corrected...a wise man would mind his own business...else, don't complain should your employer respond to what you say.

I agree a wise should mind his own business. Michael Sam should heed that advice too and not make a spectacle out of himself by being an attention whore. Obama called to congratulate him. Why? I don't believe anybody else that got drafted received a call. Once you announce your position, you should expect differing opinions.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank friggin God I work in an 'at will' employment state. 'we're letting you go because we want to' is all we need to say.

He isn't being disciplined "because they want to" though. Like I said, my guess is that the comments were taken as bringing the organisation into disrepute (and given the Incognito issues I don't blame them for being zero tolerance about it).