• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Does the word "Eskimo" offend you?

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems that the political correct nonsense has made its way to Canadian football now too. A group (I don't know how big this "group" is) is claiming the Edmonton Eskimos name is insulting to them. Took them long enough to be insulted I guess considering the Eskimos are one of the oldest sporting franchises in North America. The club was officially called the Eskimos in 1949, but the Edmonton Eskimos unofficially dates back to 1895.

What is your thoughts on this? Is this the same as the Redskin's issue or is it different? Would you change the name or is this just some group trying to get attention?

I don't think its a coincidence that Canada's version of the Superbowl (the Grey Cup) is this weekend and the Eskimo's are in it and now this is suddenly an issue.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/inuit-group-wants-edmonton-eskimos-to-change-its-name-1.2677400

EdmontonEskimo.jpg

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't offend me, but I'm not an Eskimo. Who am into say it's no an insult.
Do I care one way or another? NO.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't offend me, but I'm not an Eskimo. Who am into say it's no an insult.
Do I care one way or another? NO.

Thats the thing. How many need to care, or "be offended", until it's an issue? You could find small groups of people to say they are offended about any name probably. I just hate this politically correct BS all the time.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the thing. How many need to care, or "be offended", until it's an issue? You could find small groups of people to say they are offended about any name probably. I just hate this politically correct BS all the time.

It's not just an increase in PC-ness, with the social media construct the way it is, everyone has a voice. So to answer your question of how many people need to voice concern before it's an issue, the answer is just one. Honestly, I think both sides that take extreme stances on either sides of such topics are goofy. Because really, who gives a fuck either way? Normally we root for our teams because of locale, not because of mascots. If we could get b-ball team back in this town I wouldn't care if they called them the Seattle Tampons.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a God, he has to be about ready to smite us by now.

Looks like he started with Rodgers for his snide "God is a Packers fan" remark.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not just an increase in PC-ness, with the social media construct the way it is, everyone has a voice. So to answer your question of how many people need to voice concern before it's an issue, the answer is just one. Honestly, I think both sides that take extreme stances on either sides of such topics are goofy. Because really, who gives a fuck either way? Normally we root for our teams because of locale, not because of mascots. If we could get b-ball team back in this town I wouldn't care if they called them the Seattle Tampons.

Call me crazy but I like tradition and history. Names mean something to the fans. I grew up watching the Eskimos and Warren Moon, that's why I'm a Seahawk fan now. It wouldn't be right to me if they were suddenly named something else just to appease a tiny fraction of society who probably don't even watch the games anyway.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what I don't get....weren't all these teams named as such, in HONOR of each respective idol??

The Redskins, one could argue, I suppose, but the majority were named in honor of them, I thought?

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me crazy but I like tradition and history. Names mean something to the fans. I grew up watching the Eskimos and Warren Moon, that's why I'm a Seahawk fan now. It wouldn't be right to me if they were suddenly named something else just to appease a tiny fraction of society who probably don't even watch the games anyway.

Most people share your feelings or don't care. And that's why it won't change. But people are still free to oppose whatever they want.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people share your feelings or don't care. And that's why it won't change. But people are still free to oppose whatever they want.

I doubt they'll ever change the Eskimos name because I don't think people find it that offensive or offensive at all. I wouldn't be so sure about the Redskins though. That little PC party seems to be gaining momentum.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope it doesn't offend me one bit. Like one poster mentioned the team names were given out of pride not disrespect. I colud care less if a team is called the white boyz, honkeys or mixed breeds. Get over and be thankful you have a team to root for in your local area.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just double checked the USC, and it turns out there is no right To Not Be Offended.

Someone should let the whiners in the US know this.:thumb:

Can't speak for Canada.

Last edited:

{+}Mother-Marge{+}

Hoopla Cash
$ 50.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
....yup,....I wonder if those same idiots offended by a fkkn name (Redskins,Eskimos) ever take the time to see how these people/tribes are doing,.....many suffer from alcoholism,drug-use,and financially,....*shakes-head*.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Eskimo would be like Indian. No movement afoot to get rid of Cleveland Indians?

It isn't a derogatory term as they say Redskins is.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the term media whore offensive?